Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3854288 - 10/26/13 12:29 AM Star Citizen Concerns  
Discord Offline
Discord  Offline

Niagara Falls Ontario
I am as excited about this game as the next person and occasionally I visit the RSI forum. What I see there has me concerned about how toxic the community could become. There are people that seem so emotionally invested in the game it appears they are looking for an alternate reality in which to live. The game can't possible be what they expect because well holodecks haven't been invented yet.
The other group are the whales that have sunk a couple hundred or more into the game for ships like the Hornet. I was just reading one thread where the poster was convinced that they should win every fight against lesser ships like the Aurora, 325 or Avenger. I see much rage potential when they get smoked by someone in an Aurora, and it will happen.

These people will then go to the official forum and others to whine and criticize everyone and everything which can turn the game really nasty really fast.

Personally I think RSI has to start managing player expectations before they get more out of control and unrealistic, but I will still be playing.

One day the West will fall. But if the Liberty for which we fight is taken up by the world then the West will not have failed.
#3854290 - 10/26/13 12:36 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

It has the potential to be a huge disaster! But it is going to be fun watching that disaster unfold! smile

#3854309 - 10/26/13 02:16 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
It can't possibly be worse than this:

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#3854316 - 10/26/13 02:44 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Yeah I'm curious to see how all this will play out. Some of those people on the forums are so HARDCORE. I mean I love the enthusiasm but I agree it's so crazy there's no possible way expectations will be met.

I think it's because the game is still SO early,and nothing is final or concrete yet but people are basically making up in their minds how it will be their own personal perfect game and have everything they could ever want.

How many teams in how many cites are also making this game? That's a lot of work I imagine. Have a lot of AAA games been made this way?

I watched todays Wingmans Hanger and a guy said he wanted even MORE "immersive stuff" along the lines of going to the bathroom in the game. Like washing your hands...and reading. This seems almost overkill if you ask me. This is a space sim, right? Read a book in reality I'm here to dogfight in space and relive my X-Wing and Tie-Fighter days!

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3854332 - 10/26/13 04:12 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Clydewinder]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder

Well if it is, maybe they can hire Derek Smart as their community relations guru!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#3854335 - 10/26/13 04:25 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I'll be honest, if BK3K was stable and had MP I would still be playing it today. For all the #%&*$# that game got it was pretty bad ass. (when it wasnt crashing).

To me that is what is going to save this game. MP. If the new X game had MP I probably wouldnt care about SC but I just really want a nice MP space trading game. (eve does not count)

#3854336 - 10/26/13 04:43 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
Lancelot Offline
Lancelot  Offline

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Master put it perfectly.

And i agree, there is too much over-excitement. When a Contellation loose a fight against a 300 or something similar, there is gonna be s%#T storm, mostly because most probably the Connie pilot was a complete noob who thought had the wineverycombat ship without considering the skill of the other pilot.

Si hay que huir, YO PRIMERO!!!
#3854356 - 10/26/13 07:25 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
I think that RSI knows what they are doing.

I think that one of the reasons that they have not stepped in to curb the over-excitement is because it is generating quite a bit of cash for them. Also, its important to point out that most official forums for games are like that before release (I know ArmA 3 was) and that there is a much bigger majority of players who are not like the most vocal fan-boys.

From what has been shown it seems that RSI has a clear vision for the game and that they will ultimately deliver.

It is going to be hilarious though, when the hardcore people on the forums implode.

#3854375 - 10/26/13 09:30 AM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

It's pretty much a given by this stage that the game won't live up to the massive expectations. It could still be amazing though.

My biggest concern is that it will be like Wing Commander with shinier graphics. I just didn't find Wing Commander to be much fun to play.

Space games like this aren't really my thing, but the massive hype around it has me keeping an eye on it.

Similar to what Master said above, if this is a huge disaster, it will be more fun to watch it burn than to play it. biggrin stirthepot

(I'm not invested in this one like Battle of Stalingrad, so I can safely sit back with my popcorn and watch the partything at work)

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3854399 - 10/26/13 12:29 PM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Discord]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

I believe noobs will get schooled and get in order quickly by the rest of the community. But some could still whine how they got raped by a pack of 300is in their precious connie. Well, no #%&*$# sherlock. You have to pick your battles wisely, you're not Rambo or Arnie.

#3854401 - 10/26/13 12:53 PM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: CTR69]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: CTR69
I believe noobs will get schooled and get in order quickly by the rest of the community. But some could still whine how they got raped by a pack of 300is in their precious connie. Well, no #%&*$# sherlock. You have to pick your battles wisely, you're not Rambo or Arnie.
^this.
The forums there are a lot more toxic than they were at the start but at least in the sub's den it is a bit more peaceful, and any critique is usually thought out better.
So am I going to winz all battlez with my sooper hornet? biggrin too right I am - yep in my dreams!

I think CIG keep things bubbling along nicely just now, a bit of controversy keeps the hype high, and after reading about what they are planning for come release day my poor PC will not be able to handle it on max settings frown

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3854402 - 10/26/13 12:54 PM Re: Star Citizen Concerns [Re: Clydewinder]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Clydewinder

I thought I managed to burn all of those!

smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.