Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3841820 - 09/25/13 09:11 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: ricnunes]  
jsonedecker Offline
jsonedecker  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
[quote=jsonedecker]

I do have an another question: Will the initial version have single player (and AI of course)?

The initial Early Access version will basically be a "vertical slice" for both MP and SP. So the basics will be there for most features but they won't be complete or fully implemented. The game will be iterated on from there on out until its done. We plan to do bi-weekly build updates during that time.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3841835 - 09/25/13 10:03 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: jsonedecker]  
BadKarma1001 Offline
BadKarma1001  Offline

Landau, Germany
Originally Posted By: jsonedecker
[quote=jsonedecker]

I do have an another question: Will the initial version have single player (and AI of course)?

The initial Early Access version will basically be a "vertical slice" for both MP and SP. So the basics will be there for most features but they won't be complete or fully implemented. The game will be iterated on from there on out until its done. We plan to do bi-weekly build updates during that time.

So you will go "early access" on steam???

#3841848 - 09/25/13 10:45 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
jsonedecker Offline
jsonedecker  Offline

The plan is to do our own early access from our site as well as on Steam so people have a choice. We also get more revenue if we do it ourselves so we wanted to do both. smile

#3841878 - 09/25/13 11:53 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: HogDriver]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
Originally Posted By: Apocalypse31
Yeah...another Takedown. Can we name one successful Kickstarter project? Door Kickers ? Was that Kickstarter.

Bottom line is that we don't want another "playable game".

Edit: Also, having worked on an original ghost recon / rainbow six game no longer has any weight for selling new games

Sadly that perfectly echoes my own thoughts on Ground Branch now. After they defended Takedown especially.

$25K for a playable demo? I need a new hobby. banghead

$25K to get it into Steam Early Access. From then on it will get funds from people buying into it to fund the game. Kind of like how Eagle Dynamics sells beta aircraft/modules at near full price, though I think GB's initial price will be lower and the initial playable build less complete.

If you are only interested in buying complete products, then you'll have to wait longer. Your choice.

I am going in for $15, assuming Kickstarter takes Paypal.

Originally Posted By: BadKarma1001
The strong defence of Takedown worries me the most!
http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2988-kris-on-kickstarter-and-the-release/

Quote:
Keep this ###### up and people like Christian, and dare I say it, me, will tell you all to go ###### yourself next time you whinge about there being no tactical FPS games or innovation left in gaming

I would support them but with an attitude like this .....

Getting this off my chest i always wondered why these small devs going for SP!
Good AI is the hardest thing to do so why not focus on a outstanding PvP experience?

Because those are plentiful. BF3/4, CoD, whatever. If you want more realistic PvP games, there is RO2, AA3, Insurgency 2, Festung Europa (in development, looks by far the best of the bunch). Tactical shooters as a genre are based in the SP and co-op. Not many want PvP for this type of game, and it does not stand out as much for the mainstream. It is a large factor for the failure of the original GB Kickstarter. People wanted an SP/co-op.

#3841895 - 09/26/13 12:21 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Quote:
Not many want PvP for this type of game, and it does not stand out as much for the mainstream. It is a large factor for the failure of the original GB Kickstarter. People wanted an SP/co-op.

Agreed. The great thing about R6 and original GR was the planning and tactical gameplay that went into both SP and coop. Good enemy AI is they key, and where takedown fell the hardest.

#3841941 - 09/26/13 02:44 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
With all the moaning and crying aside, from what I’ve seen in the past of Ground Branch in demo vids, it’s always seemed to be a cut or two above what Takedown was trying to achieve imo.

I dropped the same amount of Kickstarter bucks on both though and I only wish Ground Branch would’ve been the first to Kickstart because I think Takedown Kickstarting first might’ve taken the wind out of Ground Branch's sails, no pun intended. wink

Anyway, I’ll continue to support Ground Branch. Best of luck John and Kris!

#3841950 - 09/26/13 03:17 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Linebacker]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: Linebacker
With all the moaning and crying aside, from what I’ve seen in the past of Ground Branch in demo vids, it’s always seemed to be a cut or two above what Takedown was trying to achieve imo.

I dropped the same amount of Kickstarter bucks on both though and I only wish Ground Branch would’ve been the first to Kickstart because I think Takedown Kickstarting first might’ve taken the wind out of Ground Branches sail's, no pun intended. wink

Anyway, I’ll continue to support Ground Branch. Best of luck John and Kris!

I think that is the case. Many had forgotten about Ground Branch or had donated $100+ to Takedown, and did not have another $100+ to donate to another game. That, and people on the fence probably kicked some money at Takedown, then saw another tactical shooter and did not feel like donating to two similar projects.

Though Ground Branch was always more ambitious, that was clear from day one. Though Takedown turned out to be even more featureless than I had ever imagined.

#3841963 - 09/26/13 05:16 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I don't like to rub it on people's faces, but just go and read Takedown description on its kickstarter page. You can read about planning phase, accurate loadout selection and generally speaking- clearly- of something is NOT there and will hardly ever be.

I was almost read to pledge, especially given the background of the involved. Glad I didn't...

What I did pledge for is Planetary Annihilation, of which Iil should receive the beta key any moment now...

On and Elite Dangerous too. We will see.

Last edited by komemiute; 09/26/13 05:17 AM.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3841964 - 09/26/13 05:19 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Flogger23m]  
BadKarma1001 Offline
BadKarma1001  Offline

Landau, Germany
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Originally Posted By: HogDriver
Yeah...another Takedown. Can we name one successful Kickstarter project? Door Kickers ? Was that Kickstarter.

Edit: Also, having worked on an original ghost recon / rainbow six game no longer has any weight for selling new games

Sadly that perfectly echoes my own thoughts on Ground Branch now. After they defended Takedown especially.

$25K for a playable demo? I need a new hobby. banghead

$25K to get it into Steam Early Access. From then on it will get funds from people buying into it to fund the game. Kind of like how Eagle Dynamics sells beta aircraft/modules at near full price, though I think GB's initial price will be lower and the initial playable build less complete.

If you are only interested in buying complete products, then you'll have to wait longer. Your choice.

I am going in for $15, assuming Kickstarter takes Paypal.

Originally Posted By: BadKarma1001
The strong defence of Takedown worries me the most!
http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2988-kris-on-kickstarter-and-the-release/

Quote:
Keep this ###### up and people like Christian, and dare I say it, me, will tell you all to go ###### yourself next time you whinge about there being no tactical FPS games or innovation left in gaming

I would support them but with an attitude like this .....

Getting this off my chest i always wondered why these small devs going for SP!
Good AI is the hardest thing to do so why not focus on a outstanding PvP experience?

Because those are plentiful. BF3/4, CoD, whatever. If you want more realistic PvP games, there is RO2, AA3, Insurgency 2, Festung Europa (in development, looks by far the best of the bunch). Tactical shooters as a genre are based in the SP and co-op. Not many want PvP for this type of game, and it does not stand out as much for the mainstream. It is a large factor for the failure of the original GB Kickstarter. People wanted an SP/co-op.

I have to admit that, when it comes to shooters, i am a sucker for good PvP since playing against AI either frustrates ( because overpowered) or bores (because dumb) me.

#3841978 - 09/26/13 07:00 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
KrisRedbeard Offline
KrisRedbeard  Offline

G'day guys. John sent me a link to this post along with a told-you-so kinda message reminding me about being careful what I say in public.

So yes John you were right... again.

Anyways, let us forget Takedown and focus on Ground Branch.

Please?

Steam: As John mentioned, despite it being built into the engine and so the 'easy' route to take, we want a Steam free version. Easier said then done, of course.

Lobby system: We have gone with an approach used in Natural Selection (1 and 2) - a ready room/area. It is a good way to promote communities and gives people something to do while they are waiting for more people to join. Certainly better then staring at a list of names and some menu options.

VOIP: We want built-in 3d VOIP. Whether this is done using an existing system in the engine or we just go for Mumble is yet to be determined.

Last edited by KrisRedbeard; 09/26/13 07:01 AM. Reason: fixed John's name
#3841994 - 09/26/13 07:44 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

It takes a man to acknowledge own mistakes.
I appreciate your message Kris.

I for one, am still looking forward Ground Branch.

Last edited by komemiute; 09/26/13 07:45 AM.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3842002 - 09/26/13 08:09 AM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: KrisRedbeard]  
BadKarma1001 Offline
BadKarma1001  Offline

Landau, Germany
Originally Posted By: KrisRedbeard
G'day guys. John sent me a link to this post along with a told-you-so kinda message reminding me about being careful what I say in public.

Please?

Steam: As John mentioned, despite it being built into the engine and so the 'easy' route to take, we want a Steam free version. Easier said then done, of course.

Lobby system: We have gone with an approach used in Natural Selection (1 and 2) - a ready room/area. It is a good way to promote communities and gives people something to do while they are waiting for more people to join. Certainly better then staring at a list of names and some menu options.

VOIP: We want built-in 3d VOIP. Whether this is done using an existing system in the engine or we just go for Mumble is yet to be determined.

I sincerly hope that GB will be a success!! Love the videos you guys have on your website!
Since i have no trouble using steam (on the contrary, i like it!!) i´ll looking forward for the early access version!

#3842045 - 09/26/13 12:14 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: KrisRedbeard]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: KrisRedbeard

Please?

I was a little shocked at your reply on the Serellan forums but can also understand what you were meaning too. I did pre-order TD but got a refund before release (phew) and only really bought in the first place because Christian worked on old games I loved.

Ground Branch has always looked nicer and you seem to have more detail than TD did. I hope I don't regret it but I may just back GB when the time comes (when will that time come anyway?).

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3842186 - 09/26/13 06:06 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
I think in the next few weeks. Ground Branch is in a different position from Takedown. The already have large portions of the game done and are not using the money to build a basic alpha to show to investors/publishers. They are using the money to polish up what they have, get it into Early Access, and then use funds from that to develop the game. This is a key difference in how development will progress.

The loadout system is already ground breaking for the genre. We can clearly see that this game is pushing the genre forward in various ways.

John also has a different game design philosophy as pointed out. He will not ship a game which lacks essential features.

To me, this gives me a lot of faith in Ground Branch even though I feel I got burned with Takedown.

#3842233 - 09/26/13 07:02 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think the big shock to me was that from what I can remember thinking at the time T:RS was sold as a modern R6 game.
I don't recall reading one thing about it being a stripped-down budget title that would sell for $15. If so, I wouldn't have bothered to pledge the $15 I did at the time (because it was just a preorder). I remember thinking "I'll help get this game made plus I'll get it for less than the final price."

All I can think is the other investors he had "lined up" were offering far less than he needed, or fewer of them came on board than he hoped. There are plenty of titles out there that don't have big budgets that are still worth charging $40 for, and I thought T:RS would be one.

Maybe if they'd gotten the same amounts of money as Star Citizen it would have been, maybe not.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3842376 - 09/26/13 11:26 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: jsonedecker]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: jsonedecker
[quote=jsonedecker]

Thanks for the reply!

I, for one, I'm looking forward for the Steam FREE version.

#3844214 - 10/01/13 02:37 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Wow! There is a real tactical shoot out coming up!...

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#3849076 - 10/11/13 11:25 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Bumfluff]  
KingKat2 Offline
KingKat2  Offline

usa
I too am looking forward to GB. Have been from the start!

After TD was released.......and well, it is what it is..............I hope this one to be a little different.

I will support them. Besides any FPS-Tac Shooters that do not require a massive overhaul of my system to play them is a blessing. And money saving!

#3849527 - 10/13/13 01:47 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Jedi Master]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
If so, I wouldn't have bothered to pledge the $15 I did at the time (because it was just a preorder).

Kickstarter is not a shop and when you pledge, it's not a preorder.

#3849565 - 10/13/13 04:27 PM Re: New "low key" Ground Branch kickstarter coming [Re: Apocalypse31]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

Exactly, you have no expectation to see anything in return for what you gave. That happened with me on Klang, it is a kick in the teeth, but it happens. Game projects fail all the time. The purpose of Kickstarter is to give you an opportunity to donate to a project that you would like to see realized. If it is successful then you benefit from it. If it fails after a successful fundraising then you kiss that money goodbye.

FTL, Chivalry, and Xenonauts are some that I can think of that came out and are either very playable or are fully complete.

Last edited by TankHunter; 10/13/13 04:28 PM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.