Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3842163 - 09/26/13 05:27 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes Duck Tales was good too

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3842173 - 09/26/13 05:36 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

I'm not conservative, but I have always been interested in documentaries about ultra conservative or ultra religious communities and individuals- and as much as can be done, show how they really are. Reality television is just a cartoon representation of 'reality;' this show may only be the flip side of the same coin of a program like Jersey Shore or something insofar as they reflect reality. Those other contestant based shows like Survivor or Big Brother are even worse, there is no correlation to reality in them.

I pretty much stick to a few sit coms and documentaries of all kinds, TV I can generally live without, though.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3842174 - 09/26/13 05:46 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Kontakt5]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
But that sounds to me what's typical of 'reality TV'- it's not 'reality', or I guess anything can be defined as reality. What people construe as reality shows really typically don't hold up if they are scrutinized. In this case it sounds as the show is produced and a certain image is portrayed.

So it doesn't sound based on your description that they come from a dynasty of kin folk stretching back aways, it sounds kind of contrived.

If anyone out there still thinks "reality" shows are purely cameras following people, they're idiots. Not sure what you mean about the "dynasty of kin" part. The company is 40 years old, but they just hit it big since Willie took over is my understanding. Certainly nouveau riche, they make that clear over and over, but the funny part is that Willie is the only one that shows it with his house (and RV).

The point is that you shouldn't judge the men just because they're rednecks with beards and have a sense of humor.
They were on the Today show not long ago. They're fine with saying the producers would love the show to be more scripted, but they won't have anything to do with a script. They also said that obviously there are themes or situations set up for the show, but what they do and say is their own. You still see these folks for what they are for the most part.

Personally, I'm kind of surprised Phil has anything to do with it. In the end these folks are about family, including those they "adopt", and I would imagine he sees this as good for them in the long run.

Interesting interview with one of the guys that works for them:
http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/15-questions-with-justin-martin/

They're good people and they're funny without a room of people writing a script for them. It works.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3842180 - 09/26/13 05:56 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

The point is that you shouldn't judge the men just because they're rednecks with beards and have a sense of humor.

I don't- and that's the irony about all of this, isn't it trying to portray a certain stereotype?

Many rednecks I knew generally didn't look like Duck Dynasty. They were clean shaven, were less gregarious about being rednecks. The word redneck originally referred to poor, provincial white folk who had sunburned necks from working outside, say in the fields. The term itself has been appropriated and even self applied by people to the point of becoming a broader stereotype, this is why I don't buy into this kind of 'Reality TV' to begin with- it necessarily conjures up stereotypes that we're supposed to avoid.

Jersey Shore I seem to recall was criticized because the cast weren't even 100% Italian, certainly, it gets harder and harder to get wrapped up in the reality of cast members pulling in millions of dollars while filming these episodes. It's phoney.

#3842183 - 09/26/13 06:05 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I like Duck Dynasty. It's a family friendly show with a conservative message which 99% of the entertainment industry despises. For it to be a hit is a good thing even if some of it is silly or staged.

Jason

Me too.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3842203 - 09/26/13 06:29 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Kontakt5]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
I don't- and that's the irony about all of this, isn't it trying to portray a certain stereotype?

It's more the reverse IMO. Their humor is about being rednecks, but their point is about a tight family that doesn't lose their way because of success.
Furthermore, I think they feel society in general is losing it's way, so they set another kind of example--but using humor. That's what I like about the show. That's not for everyone I guess.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3842205 - 09/26/13 06:29 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I know folks with more country in their pinky than most self-proclaimed rednecks and those that go out of their way to create an image for themselves and/or are trying to find a clickish group to identify themselves with. I can't stand that.

These people, I believe are not that. Certainly the show is about humor with a wholesome message at the end.

And above all, God's not impressed with any of it. biggrin That's how I feel about it.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3842207 - 09/26/13 06:33 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: oldgrognard]  
Lewis-A2A Offline
Tom Thumb
Lewis-A2A  Offline
Tom Thumb

Lowestoft - UK
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I like Duck Dynasty. It's a family friendly show with a conservative message which 99% of the entertainment industry despises. For it to be a hit is a good thing even if some of it is silly or staged.

Jason

Me too.

You sure your not talking about our good old english show, TopGear?

smile

#3842215 - 09/26/13 06:40 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Well, again, the term has been broadly applied and even worn as a badge. "NASCAR rednecks" more likely, not Deliverance rednecks- REAL rednecks, not just conservative Southerners or something.

Some of you have mentioned that these guys are college educated. Hell, rednecks probably don't even have high school under their belts. If you've seen Easy Rider, those guys who blew away Dennis Hopper are rednecks - "Why don't you get a haircut."

Keep in mind these guys are being held up in front of a huge TV audience by executive producer types, doing the prime time appearances on Jimmy Kimmel in LA and the big liberal cities, these guys are exposed to much more liberal and cosmopolitan ideas and people than rednecks really are. If they actually got real rednecks, it probably would not work. So these producers are giving you their idea of redneck, pretty articulate and much more cosmopolitan than a redneck should be.

Now of course, as I said, within the last few years, like as Country music became popularized by Garth Brooks and became more pop oriented, it totally does not resemble at all its roots, likewise, becoming "Redneck" as a sort of street cred has gained traction. It's simply become broader to mean less something you were probably born into and couldn't escape as it is something self applied or just put together as an image. Now it's like every other white dude. wink

#3842237 - 09/26/13 07:07 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Duck Dynasty is considered a situational comedy I believe, not a reality show

#3842242 - 09/26/13 07:12 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

A sitcom is supposed to have a story in each episode. They have fictional characters put into a plot, and a resolution. Even Seinfeld's episode about nothing qualifies, because that episode had a storyline about George and Seinfeld pitching their ideas of a show about nothing, but getting turned down.

#3842260 - 09/26/13 07:54 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
brno537 Offline
brno537  Offline

south island new zealand
watched this show the first time because many years ago i had one of their duck callers and it was very good. the hunting videos they did back then were fairly basic ,but way ahead of what else that was available here at the time that was around twenty years ago.he seems to still have the same views on life and family as he did then.when he came to nz several years ago to promote his company he really appeared to enjoy himself at the talk i went to.

#3842310 - 09/26/13 09:10 PM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Had two guys come into the tire shop one day wearing long hair, beards and sunglasses costumes. I was a little taken aback and then recognized them as regulars. I said, didn't work I know who you are. They never explained themselves and why they were dressed that way and continued to act all serious and like nothing was out of the ordinary. Boss man eventually helped them and told me later they were Duck Dynasty get ups. I told them I thought for a minute I was being held up. Weird. Mainly weird because they didn't seem to care that two grown men were acting like kids and being serious at the same time which made it all the more odd. I guess its a Dad and son duo and the Dad I heard is sick so they must be just living it up and not giving a crap about much.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#3842500 - 09/27/13 06:59 AM Re: I wonder if the Taliban... [Re: Coot]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Originally Posted By: Coot
Had two guys come into the tire shop one day wearing long hair, beards and sunglasses costumes. I was a little taken aback and then recognized them as regulars. I said, didn't work I know who you are. They never explained themselves and why they were dressed that way and continued to act all serious and like nothing was out of the ordinary. Boss man eventually helped them and told me later they were Duck Dynasty get ups.

How would you distinguish that from ZZ Top costumes?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.