Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3835468 - 09/11/13 06:57 PM How to get rudder pedals working??  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
Just to try it out ( since it's for free ) I downloaded the DCS World package. Since the SU-25 comes with it, of course I took it for a spin. My CH joystick was picked up and worked from the get go as far as aileron and elevator.

However my CH Pro Pedal rudder does not work even though they appear in the controls configuration. They are listed under their own column. I tried fiddling around 'Aircraft Rudder Left' and also Right to no avail. Could not figure this one out. What to do??

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3835482 - 09/11/13 07:26 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Are you on Axis Commands? That's the only tab where you can assign axes.

#3835504 - 09/11/13 08:07 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Remon]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
Yes, I also went into axes assign but I could not figure out what to do there. It showed the rudder under JOY_RZ, whatever that is........I have no way to know what it should be abut apparently it's not supposed to be JOY_RZ!! Any more ideas??

Last edited by Fishingnut; 09/11/13 08:12 PM.
#3835555 - 09/11/13 09:48 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Joy_RZ is the correct axis for rudder pedals. Just make sure Joy_RZ is set in the CH Pro Pedals tab and delete all other Joy_RZ entries in other tabs such as Joystick and/or Throttle.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3835593 - 09/11/13 11:03 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
Hmmm...There is no other instance of JOY_RZ. Right now I have two columns in AXIS ASSIGN for my CH stuff. I have column CH PRO PEDALS USB and column CH FLIGHTSTICK PRO. For Pitch I have JOY_Y appearing in both columns. For Roll I have JOY_X appearing in both columns. For Rudder I have JOY_RZ in both columns. And finally for Thrust I have JOY_Z, again in both columns..

That's about as much info as I got so I hope someone can make sense of this....Thanks for comments thus far but still no "joy" ( pun intended )!

#3835594 - 09/11/13 11:04 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
Oh BTW, the rudder is working fine in my old installs of IL2 and also X-Plane..Only DCS World has this trouble.

#3835596 - 09/11/13 11:11 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
BlackSmith Offline
BlackSmith  Offline

San Diego, CA
I would delete all the axis assignments, then re-assign them.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience. --Mitch Hedberg
#3835717 - 09/12/13 07:46 AM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: BlackSmith]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Originally Posted By: BlackSmith

This.It was a right pain to assign my CH pedals in game, in fact I had trouble with my Fighterstick as well. I tried about 4 times before the controls finally 'stuck'. Don't forget to save them to a profile, and do it for each specific aircraft.

Last edited by JG52Uther; 09/12/13 07:46 AM.
#3838240 - 09/17/13 04:06 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Speyer]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: JG52Uther
Originally Posted By: BlackSmith

This.It was a right pain to assign my CH pedals in game, in fact I had trouble with my Fighterstick as well. I tried about 4 times before the controls finally 'stuck'. Don't forget to save them to a profile, and do it for each specific aircraft.

Uther, do you notice anything wrong here with the assignment's, can't get the rudder going and the others are questionable...thanks

Last edited by SlipBall; 09/17/13 04:10 PM.

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3838306 - 09/17/13 06:02 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Did you click Axis Tune to see if you get any response?

You also can delete it and click Add and then move your rudders to make it pick it up.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3838315 - 09/17/13 06:15 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Thanks Jedi...although I may have had enough for today banghead

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3839020 - 09/19/13 03:20 AM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
I just came back from a short vacation in Washington and Oregon. And no, I was not looking for Bigfoot. I was not able to get the pedals to work before I left. I also noticed just before I left that the throttle on the stick did not work either. The only thing that really worked was elevator and aileron. I noticed that a few posts have been added with ideas since I left and returned so I"ll try some of this stuff out.

Last edited by Fishingnut; 09/19/13 03:21 AM.
#3839078 - 09/19/13 08:49 AM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Fishingnut
I just came back from a short vacation in Washington and Oregon. And no, I was not looking for Bigfoot. I was not able to get the pedals to work before I left. I also noticed just before I left that the throttle on the stick did not work either. The only thing that really worked was elevator and aileron. I noticed that a few posts have been added with ideas since I left and returned so I"ll try some of this stuff out.

I got it going, I had to simply change from RZ to Z for the rudder in game...I just hope that I will never have to use the brakes biggrin

Clod
#3839250 - 09/19/13 05:31 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Yeah, I should have popped in earlier and mentioned that when the CH Pro Pedals are used standalone, the axes are as follows:

X = left toe brake
Y = right toe brake
Z = rudder

That's right, the axis that usually goes with throttle on joysticks is assigned to the pedals' rudder axis! On top of that, there is no "rudder" axis (RZ/Z Rotation in DirectInput terms).

I always suggest to actually go in and bind your axis controls before anything else, just in case the axis mappings don't actually match up with your hardware.

In the case of DCS, unless you're using a TM HOTAS Warthog with A-10C, it's almost always going to be a generic joystick profile assigned to ALL of your individual DirectInput devices.

This means it'll have axes and buttons mapped that may not physically exist, along with being in the wrong places. Just assume everything is incorrect, erase everything, and remap everything by hand; you're better off that way.

#3839404 - 09/19/13 10:30 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
OK, now this is getting ridiculous!! OK, I went in and cleared everything, changed the rudder pedal column from RZ just Z and now only the rudder axis works!! I can go in and under the flightstick column and assign the joystick elevator, pitch and throttle and then go into the 'axis tune' and they show to be working. Then I go to save the profile with everything working.

Then I exit out of the 'Options' and go into 'create fast mission' to see if everything works. I go into an external view and move the joy and rudders and only the rudder pedals move the rudder back and forth!! Moving the stick does not move the elevator or ailerons. Nor does my throttle on the side of the joy do anything. Then when I go back to options all assignments that were in the flightstick column are gone!! The Rudder pedal column still has "Joy_Z" in it.

This problem is keeping me from starting to buy other aircraft from the online store. I am not about to spend any more money on this stuff if I can't get both my stick and my joy to work....very frustrating indeed. The whole 'options' part of this sim seems to be user-unfriendly as far as axis assignment anyway.

The only other sim I have had trouble with joystick assignment is Lunar Flight, which is even worse than this one. Most other sims just seem to detect all axes of all sticks/rudder combos and just work right away, no muss, no fuss. What could I be doing wrong??

#3839523 - 09/20/13 05:32 AM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Wait a minute, I should've specified that you do that only when things AREN'T working the way you want them to already...

DCS's control binding interface does not help this one bit. You have to make sure you're not clearing the wrong controller's column of bindings.

Guess you'd better take a screenshot of the settings again...and also consider that most titles have correct bindings when the rudder input is part of the same DirectInput ID as the stick and throttle, as is usually the case for cheaper sticks with twist rudders or rockers.

This is not the case for standalone USB rudder pedals, which are a separate controller as far as DirectInput is concerned. That's why you have to map them separately. (Unless you merge your Flightstick Pro and Pro Pedals through the Control Manager into a single virtual device, anyway...)

#3839625 - 09/20/13 02:03 PM Re: How to get rudder pedals working?? [Re: Fishingnut]  
Fishingnut Offline
Fishingnut  Offline

Good ole' U. S. of A.
Well good news, I got all the axis commands working as I want. The last trouble was my bad as I was exiting out of options by hitting the X box at the top rather than the OK button at the bottom. If you don't hit the OK button the bindings will not work despite being saved to the profile. The option section OK button is apparently what really saves your settings and not the OK button you hit to exit the 'Save Profile" box itself!! Now we all know....

Sorry I was whining about this like a school girl but I was getting pretty frustrated. But my own fault though....

Last edited by Fishingnut; 09/20/13 02:04 PM.

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.