Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#383619 - 09/05/05 05:50 AM If only Flanker 2.5 supported TrackIR!  
DKM Offline
DKM  Offline

Although I am a longtime owner of both Flanker and Flanker 2, I have never been able to fly either worth a darn because of the lack of a missile padlock (In my view, LOMAC suffers from much the same difficulty; it has a missile padlock system, but not a very good one).

That, combined with the uber-missiles in 2.0/2.5 (combined--too--with my pathatic situational awareness), means that I always get killed within about, oh, three minutes of starting a mission.

If 2.5 were to be modified to support TrackIR, though, who knows: maybe survival would be possible after all! And the sim itself would take on a whole new life.

I have always thought that Flanker 2 was just one padlock view away from greatness, which deficiency TrackIR support could partly rectify.

I know that TrackIR support is probably a pipe dream, of course, but we can still dream, can't we?

DKM

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#383620 - 09/05/05 01:16 PM Re: If only Flanker 2.5 supported TrackIR!  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DKM:
Although I am a longtime owner of both Flanker and Flanker 2, I have never been able to fly either worth a darn because of the lack of a missile padlock (In my view, LOMAC suffers from much the same difficulty; it has a missile padlock system, but not a very good one).

That, combined with the uber-missiles in 2.0/2.5 (combined--too--with my pathatic situational awareness), means that I always get killed within about, oh, three minutes of starting a mission.

If 2.5 were to be modified to support TrackIR, though, who knows: maybe survival would be possible after all! And the sim itself would take on a whole new life.

I have always thought that Flanker 2 was just one padlock view away from greatness, which deficiency TrackIR support could partly rectify.

I know that TrackIR support is probably a pipe dream, of course, but we can still dream, can't we?

DKM
Agreed, the sim pretty much requires TrackIR.

#383621 - 09/12/05 09:31 AM Re: If only Flanker 2.5 supported TrackIR!  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
There is an external to target view that's quite useful when the baddy's in visual range. There's the padlock view, that you can also use if the bandit's within the front 200 degree FOV...again only within visual range. It works great with the helmet sight and makes dogfighting amazing. I find you have to use the ECM warning system combined with your mouse viewer (nice with the X52 throttle mouse) to find where they're firing from. One neat thing about Flanker 2.51 is that aircraft and missile exhast show up more than they ought to given the resolution of the sim. Even at 640X480 an aircraft that is just inside visual range will show up as a small spot, though its spot in real life (and most other sims) would be much smaller and would be invisible at that res. But the spot seems to be a little exagerated to help us out, which I've never seen before in a sim. If you look hard enough you can even lock onto distant targets with the helmet sight that way. As for missiles, if there's a radar warning light that indicates which direction they're firing from, that works. If I look left and right and don't see anything, then probably they're behind me. So then I turn 90 degrees and check on that side again. The main problem in Flanker is that you're outnumbered and the AWACs usually take a few minutes to start sending you anything useful. As soon as you switch on a radar the bad guys start shooting at you. With realistic missiles on (and I haven't figured out how to turn that down after the first campaign mission) you're pretty much dead no matter what you do. Those "uber" missiles are extremely dangerous. If you do everything right you can dodge one, but if they fired anymore you're going to be out of CM's and altitude in a hurry...and dead again. I think even medium missile is too hard and easy is too easy. There needed to be a setting in between and the ability to make that a permanent option, instead of mission-independent. I guess in the effort of making it so realistic (for the era and hardware) it's so difficult as to unplayable in its default form. I really don't think TrackIR or a missile padlock would make a substantial difference in the playability. You still wouldn't be able to look behind you in the cockpit or dodge multiple missiles at a time.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.