Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#383615 - 09/13/05 01:49 AM Re: This sim sucks.  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Reticuli:
Well I always use it for BVR combat. With NCTR I don't see why you wouldn't want to. Inside visual range I always use the CAC modes (bore, vertical/band, wide, helmet, etc) to manually designate. Auto seems to be slower and more innaccurate for close in. I'm more likely to lock onto a friendly with it or it simply takes too long for the contacts to appear on the MFD/radar screen at all. I just find it so odd that within TWS you can't just cycle between MFD contacts like you would in AG mode in Flanker. That was just a weird-ass design choice by the Russians. Oh well, as long as an AWACs is up I'm fairly content with it...though it would have been nice to be able to cycle forward and back instead of just forward.

Any ideas on my anti aliasing issue? The darn thing switches off after every mission. So strange.
How do you use it for bvr in Jane's. Been awhile, but I thought the auto modes there were max of 10nm or so ?

No doubt; the original Soviet avionics were not pilot friendly.

No idea about your aa issue, sorry, that's a strange one.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#383616 - 09/13/05 02:10 AM Re: This sim sucks.  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
When you have radar contacts you either hit Auto ACQ (one of my top stick buttons on the X52) to automatically STT the closest one, or you can switch to TWS (MFD mode button) and then cycle through multiple targets. I don't recall Auto being range limited. If it shows up on the radar you can lock it, but I might be wrong. Of course, you can also launch while in TWS mode without switching to STT, not something I guess Russia had back then. You can switch on NCTR to ID targets and bump friendlies off scan, or you can simply hit IFF (throttle E + pinkie for me) to bump off any friendlies manually. There's really only one ACQ mode. There's the CAC modes, the Auto ACQ mode, then the TDC selection method. TWS I guess you could call a designation mode, since it grabs the closest/fastest closing birds the same way Flanker does. But of course it's more useful than in Flanker. With an AWACs up, TWS is pretty much useless in Flanker. You can't autolock from that mode. You can't fire at multiple targets in it. Pretty much all it seems good for is a back up if the AWACs get shot down, and even then you have to revert to the HUD/TDC (or whatever they call it) method of moving the selector over the triangle. Actually, I'm wondering if the contacts in TWS mode blink out on the HUD or not. Maybe they are stable in that mode. Perhaps my problem has been simply designating from general scan mode, using the AWACs MFD icons as references (still visible), and being annoyed that the HUD blips blink out when I'm not even tracking them with my radar...i.e. they just show up as raw radar blips. Makes sense. I'll have to try it out. Do AWACs ever get shot down, depriving you of the data link, in Flanker?

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
#383617 - 09/13/05 02:16 AM Re: This sim sucks.  
John P Offline
John P  Offline

MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Reticuli:
When you have radar contacts you either hit Auto ACQ (one of my top stick buttons on the X52) to automatically STT the closest one, or you can switch to TWS (MFD mode button) and then cycle through multiple targets. I don't recall Auto being range limited. If it shows up on the radar you can lock it, but I might be wrong. Of course, you can also launch while in TWS mode without switching to STT, not something I guess Russia had back then. You can switch on NCTR to ID targets and bump friendlies off scan, or you can simply hit IFF (throttle E + pinkie for me) to bump off any friendlies manually. There's really only one ACQ mode. There's the CAC modes, the Auto ACQ mode, then the TDC selection method. TWS I guess you could call a designation mode, since it grabs the closest/fastest closing birds the same way Flanker does. But of course it's more useful than in Flanker. With an AWACs up, TWS is pretty much useless in Flanker. You can't autolock from that mode. You can't fire at multiple targets in it. Pretty much all it seems good for is a back up if the AWACs get shot down, and even then you have to revert to the HUD/TDC (or whatever they call it) method of moving the selector over the triangle. Actually, I'm wondering if the contacts in TWS mode blink out on the HUD or not. Maybe they are stable in that mode. Perhaps my problem has been simply designating from general scan mode, using the AWACs icons as references, and being annoyed that the blips blink out when I'm not even tracking them with my radar...i.e. they just show up as raw radar blips. Makes sense. I'll have to try it out. Do AWACs ever get shot down, depriving you of the data link, in Flanker?
Ah, I see, yep, you want to be in TWS mode, when you decide to start designating targets.
Sorry, I figured that was what you were talking about.

Regarding AWAC's they can be shot down, but never should be, in a well designed mission (they should always be well protected, away from the "action", etc.)
Obviously, that's up to the mission designer.

Btw, here's an old link with some good F2 tips.
Forgot all about it.

F2 tips

#383618 - 09/13/05 02:45 AM Re: This sim sucks.  
Reticuli Offline
Reticuli  Offline

Dayton, OH, USA
Cool, I'll check it out. And as far as the 10nm thing, I've got the Jane's manual open and that's the Bore and Wide CAC modes that have that limit. A lot longer range than I thought. Doesn't look like the AutoACQ has any, though the AMRAAM's in the sim are so limited in range I guess it's not that different in functioning.

The term "necroposting" was invented by a person with no social memory beyond a year. People with a similar hangup are those o.k. with the internet being transient vapor.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011/12/methanol-wins-open-wager.html

Saitek X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.