Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
#3831704 - 09/04/13 05:42 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Thanks for the kind words, pescador. However, mikew deserves a lot more credit than I do on this one.

All you need is a working install of EF2000 that you can map to using the launcher. However you get it onto your hard drive is up to you. Also, while this was designed with 3DFX/GFX+ in mind, it will also work with the original EF2000 and TACTCOM.

One option that was recently added was the ability to enable/disable music using a checkbox in the launcher, which saves you from having to go into the DOS Config.exe or change the setting in-game.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3831828 - 09/04/13 09:06 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One of the better (and humorous) AARs I've read (archived from usenet a long time ago)...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3831841#Post3831841

A thorough and engaging AAR without a single pic??? Imagine that!

Last edited by MarkG; 09/04/13 09:19 PM. Reason: Linked to AAR board
#3831915 - 09/04/13 11:36 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: pescador11]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: pescador11
I sold my original copy to Mark G a few years back but I have a copy of EF2000 v2.0 on a burnt disc.

It's in good hands, pescador (covered your personal info with the plane)... smile

And then I purchased a new box from Dogsbody...

...along with a new Strategy Guide which was dismantled for scanning.

On a side note, I've always loved EF2K's dark theme colors...

And especially how the pit screens were implemented for the day...
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/EF2K_Right.wmv

With my meager new-found knowledge of 3D game development, I know that MFD screens are additional 'camera viewports' for viewing the 3D world, maybe one day we can switch the Maverick screen on in the virtual pit to match the TIALD screen (as shown in the above video). But if not, no matter as it's still so well done.

EF2000 just oozes of polish and atmosphere, IMO.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3831917 - 09/04/13 11:45 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
And most importantly, the campaign files are pure ASCII and not even zip compressed!

#3832016 - 09/05/13 06:20 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A final thought (yeah right)...

I think this project is just fantastic! I don't believe they'll ever be an EF2000 remake, the scope is way too large and would take a team to attempt it which seldom works out. Plus the pressure would be too great to give it FSX visuals w/DCS advanced flight modeling while matching the upcoming EDGE terrain, and so on and on... completing it would be impossible.

But what you guys are doing (mikew, HF and whoever...DKD?) by updating EF2000's visuals and giving it some modern hardware support, is IMO all this sim needs! Except maybe a new and fully working version of Strategic Command for a campaign sandbox, the last one was never completed but I assume the developer (being commercial) couldn't afford the time to work it out before moving on.

And let's face it, despite the excellent stealth gameplay, nobody cares if Ethiopia and Eritrea want to duke it out, or if Somalia has a squabble with Djibouti. But the Russians attacking NATO down the Norwegian coastline?! BEST SCENERIO EVER! Well, other than it being the USSR a few years earlier, but then you wouldn't have the Eurofighter to fly.

I'm just a dumb smuck living in the US Deep South where it's always hot and flat, EF2000 has always been an exotic adventure for me. So whatever you do, PLEASE keep the European accents! And I wouldn't mind sporting British roundels or German crosses either, I feel insulted by the US version 2.0, as if I HAVE to have USAF insignia (improperly placed I might add) on my EUROFIGHTER to enjoy!

Cheers to you guys! cheers

P.S. I fired an e-mail to Steve Hunt, pointing to the YouTube video and this thread (haven't done that in a long time). Who knows, but as always I'm not counting on a response.

Last edited by MarkG; 09/05/13 06:26 AM.
#3832052 - 09/05/13 09:35 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
Canadair Offline
Canadair  Offline

This is a wonderful new. Thank you. Can you please explain which version is needed? as you know there is a windows version (2.0) (without hardware acceleration) and DOS based 3dfx (which I don't even know if it actually installable on w7) any advice on which version to get and how to get to a working install, taking into account that hardware acceleration is a must?
Looking forward to this, again thank you

Last edited by Canadair; 09/05/13 09:59 AM.
#3832140 - 09/05/13 01:57 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Canadair, I believe what you're seeing is the DOS 3Dfx version running under an enhanced DOSBox w/Glide support. This version, along with the Win95 version (Super EF2000) are both included in V2.0 shown in my above pics (or box may look like the one here)...

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3832199 - 09/05/13 03:38 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
pescador11 Offline
pescador11  Offline

Originally Posted By: HomeFries
Thanks for the kind words, pescador. However, mikew deserves a lot more credit than I do on this one.

All you need is a working install of EF2000 that you can map to using the launcher. However you get it onto your hard drive is up to you. Also, while this was designed with 3DFX/GFX+ in mind, it will also work with the original EF2000 and TACTCOM.

One option that was recently added was the ability to enable/disable music using a checkbox in the launcher, which saves you from having to go into the DOS Config.exe or change the setting in-game.
Wow can't wait. Thanks again HomeFries and my apologies to mikew. Sorry mikew...I didn't know.
Pescador

#3832204 - 09/05/13 03:46 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: MarkG]  
pescador11 Offline
pescador11  Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkG
A final thought (yeah right)...

I think this project is just fantastic! I don't believe they'll ever be an EF2000 remake, the scope is way too large and would take a team to attempt it which seldom works out. Plus the pressure would be too great to give it FSX visuals w/DCS advanced flight modeling while matching the upcoming EDGE terrain, and so on and on... completing it would be impossible.

But what you guys are doing (mikew, HF and whoever...DKD?) by updating EF2000's visuals and giving it some modern hardware support, is IMO all this sim needs! Except maybe a new and fully working version of Strategic Command for a campaign sandbox, the last one was never completed but I assume the developer (being commercial) couldn't afford the time to work it out before moving on.

And let's face it, despite the excellent stealth gameplay, nobody cares if Ethiopia and Eritrea want to duke it out, or if Somalia has a squabble with Djibouti. But the Russians attacking NATO down the Norwegian coastline?! BEST SCENERIO EVER! Well, other than it being the USSR a few years earlier, but then you wouldn't have the Eurofighter to fly.

I'm just a dumb smuck living in the US Deep South where it's always hot and flat, EF2000 has always been an exotic adventure for me. So whatever you do, PLEASE keep the European accents! And I wouldn't mind sporting British roundels or German crosses either, I feel insulted by the US version 2.0, as if I HAVE to have USAF insignia (improperly placed I might add) on my EUROFIGHTER to enjoy!

Cheers to you guys! cheers

P.S. I fired an e-mail to Steve Hunt, pointing to the YouTube video and this thread (haven't done that in a long time). Who knows, but as always I'm not counting on a response.
Good to see my baby is still looking good Mark. IMO one of the best Combat Sims ever. My very first Flight Sim along with Longbow Gold. I bought both Sims along with my very first Computer back in 1997. I still have Longbow Gold but can't play it on my Windows Xp Computer. Thanks for the pics Mark.
Pescador

#3832370 - 09/05/13 08:23 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain
Will we need the original CD for playing the expansion?

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3832538 - 09/06/13 01:38 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: Canadair]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: Canadair
This is a wonderful new. Thank you. Can you please explain which version is needed? as you know there is a windows version (2.0) (without hardware acceleration) and DOS based 3dfx (which I don't even know if it actually installable on w7) any advice on which version to get and how to get to a working install, taking into account that hardware acceleration is a must?
Looking forward to this, again thank you

Like Mark said, this is the 3DFX version for DOS in the video, as EF2000 Reloaded is essentially a special version of DOSBox with a nice front end. This version of DOSBox emulates the 3DFX calls, so you don't need a Voodoo card (though you do want 3D acceleration for the OpenGL rendering).

@Stratos, you don't need the CD to install EF2000 Reloaded per se, but you do need to have an EF2000 install on you hard drive that EF2000 Reloaded can point to. There are instructions on how to use a 16 bit installer in 64 bit Windows included with the package (and available on the TAW Wiki).

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3832542 - 09/06/13 01:49 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
THX-1138 Offline
Tyrell Corporation
THX-1138  Offline
Tyrell Corporation

Miami, Florida - United States...
Like Mark said, this is the 3DFX version for DOS in the video, as EF2000 Reloaded is essentially a special version of DOSBox with a nice front end. This version of DOSBox emulates the 3DFX calls, so you don't need a Voodoo card (though you do want 3D acceleration for the OpenGL rendering).

@Stratos, you don't need the CD to install EF2000 Reloaded per se, but you do need to have an EF2000 install on you hard drive that EF2000 Reloaded can point to. There are instructions on how to use a 16 bit installer in 64 bit Windows included with the package (and available on the TAW Wiki).

Hello HomeFries,

I am new to DOSBox and setting up EF2000 (and TAW soon after) on a Win7 x64 system. Could you provide instructions and/or pointers on how to get this jewel up and running? I do appreciate that you have taken the time to share this with all of us!

Domestic Robotics - www.DomesRO.com

#3832606 - 09/06/13 05:03 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

@THX,

SimHQ would prefer that I keep direct links to the TAW Wiki away from here, but if you check the link to combatsim in the first post, then you can see the link to just the article you're looking for.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3832628 - 09/06/13 06:45 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
Stratos Offline
Hotshot
Stratos  Offline
Hotshot

Amposta, Spain

My best friend have a boxed version, no idea if it is the Windows or Dos one, but I will ask him If I can borrow his game. Want to try your version once you release it.

Thanks.

You know what is fun? My friend is on a cruise visiting Norwegian fjords lol

Last edited by Stratos; 09/06/13 06:53 AM.

-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
#3833060 - 09/06/13 10:42 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: Stratos]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Stratos

Lucky friend you have, we have one in the planning in 2 1/2 years...

We're looking to do the one-way leg from Bergen to Kirkenes in winter because it's cheaper and I'm really interested in the area during the darker winter months. We also want to see the Lights again (saw them in Fairbanks, Alaska...breathtaking). If possible we're wanting to make our way back south from Murmansk to St. Petersburg.

And if THAT sounds a little over the top...

Both my wife and I are going to start learning to speak and read in Russian (two starter books w/CDs are on the way from Amazon). Something we've talked about doing for years (only it was French as we're Cajuns), but we decided Russian would be so much cooler and not likely to be understood by the people around us (speaking privately in public).

Might seem too touristy for the locals but I really can't wait to see Alesund...

More...
Alesund, Norway

#3833078 - 09/06/13 11:02 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I always wanted to see Hammerfest. I have some friends in Andoya as well.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3833095 - 09/06/13 11:36 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
THX-1138 Offline
Tyrell Corporation
THX-1138  Offline
Tyrell Corporation

Miami, Florida - United States...
@THX,

SimHQ would prefer that I keep direct links to the TAW Wiki away from here, but if you check the link to combatsim in the first post, then you can see the link to just the article you're looking for.

Okay, got that. Thank you HomeFries!

Domestic Robotics - www.DomesRO.com

#3833176 - 09/07/13 04:47 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: MarkG]  
pescador11 Offline
pescador11  Offline

Originally Posted By: MarkG
Originally Posted By: Stratos

Lucky friend you have, we have one in the planning in 2 1/2 years...

We're looking to do the one-way leg from Bergen to Kirkenes in winter because it's cheaper and I'm really interested in the area during the darker winter months. We also want to see the Lights again (saw them in Fairbanks, Alaska...breathtaking). If possible we're wanting to make our way back south from Murmansk to St. Petersburg.

And if THAT sounds a little over the top...

Both my wife and I are going to start learning to speak and read in Russian (two starter books w/CDs are on the way from Amazon). Something we've talked about doing for years (only it was French as we're Cajuns), but we decided Russian would be so much cooler and not likely to be understood by the people around us (speaking privately in public).

Might seem too touristy for the locals but I really can't wait to see Alesund...

More...
Alesund, Norway
Amazing looking place Mark. My jaw dropped. Thanks for posting. Have a great time.
pescador

#3834648 - 09/10/13 10:02 AM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
nats Offline
nats  Offline

Pocklington UK
This project looks fantastic - EF2000 will always be my favourite flight sim of all time it would be great to be able to play it again.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!"

AMD Phenom II X6 (6x2.8Ghz Six Core) 12GB DDR3 RAM Nvidea Ti550 1Gb Graphics Card MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 Joystick Windows 10 64bit

Games that I am playing:
Elite: Dangerous
Making History: The Great War
Strike Fighters II: Europe
Hearts of Iron 3
Fallout 4
Waterloo
#3834841 - 09/10/13 05:08 PM Re: EF2000 Reloaded [Re: HomeFries]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've been getting into EF2000 like never before, mainly for inspiration. What DID graphics artists did with only a handful of 8-bit palettes and low-res textures is amazing to me. EF2000 has to be one of the best looking DOS games, accentuated by a DOS-high 640x400 screen resolution.

I asked Steve White (Saxon) once if DID felt any differently about developing an American aircraft sim (TFX3: F-22) vs. their own joint venture Eurofighter. He said no, they were interested in all modern aircraft. But I'm not so sure (noting Steve didn't join DID until TAW) after reading the Manuals, Strategy Guides and then playing the games. Seems to me EF2000, although older, was given more attention to details (i.e. TIALD w/black and white hot option) and has a more polished feel to it.

The biggest complaint I've read is that EF2000 lacks a bonafide ground war (ground mobiles protect air bases). But the manuals explains this, "The system was tailored towards a Norwegian Limited Theater Conflict where the emphasis would lie with the Sea and Air power (the Norwegian terrain would make a land war difficult)." Seems reasonable to me, send the tanks to East Germany and the rest of Central Europe.

But to have a campaign theater centered around the Red Sea and no shipping?! A little harder to swallow.

But it could just be that EF2000 was completed before the beginning of the end for DID...
http://www.combatsim.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000016

As NStutt once said (is that you nats?)...
"Well lets not hold our breath for EF3000 then!"

I believe me might get this yet! smile

Land of the midnight sun...

So EF2000 (in Autumn) never gets completely dark (moon but no stars), but it sure does model the darkening nighttime hours nicely, IMO. From animated runway approach lights to towers and aircraft with blinking lights, the little things that add life to the world.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.