Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3828542 - 08/28/13 09:36 PM Battle 4 Malta Standalone Mod, and TF Mod compatible versions: info  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

INTRO

There are now two 'flavours' of the Malta Mod available - a stand alone version with desert textures (described below) which is not Team Fusion Mod compatible, and a TF MOD compatible version.

The TF Mod compatible version is here, and is simpler to install:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7493

The stand alone version with desert textures, and how to install it, is described below:

STAND ALONE MALTA MOD WITH DESERT TEXTURES

Now available: the full set of 28 missions (more than 150+ individual flyable sorties) for The Malta Mod.

Each minor release is intended to enable people to set up the mod on their systems and play around with it before the full mission package is completed, by December 2013.

The mission set will be released in several chapters as missions are completed, building up to the full package:

Chapter 1: The Italian Attack, June-December 1940
Chapter 2: The Luftwaffe Arrives, January-May 1941
Chapter 3: Convoy phase, December 1941

Download from Airwarfare here:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/down...ssion-set-final

Textures and skins by Vasiliy Kucheraviy, Malta concept and mission design by Heinkill.

These download contains the necessary mod files, aircraft skins and 9 missions..

HOW TO INSTALL:

Get the basic mod installer here:

https://app.box.com/s/esq9gvxl5ogd8m8ni3ld

or

http://1drv.ms/Mk1ZNd

Here is a video walkthrough of the installation process (best watched full screen):

http://youtu.be/dVUjGzZU1T0

Here are the blow by blow instructions

1. Create a separate copy of your IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover game folder on your hard drive. Instructions on how to do that are here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3797

I recommend you rename the copied folder something like 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod'

2. Download the zip file to your desktop. The first installer is called: maltasetup1

3. Run maltasetup1 and when you are prompted, point the installer at the directory you have just created with your new copy of the IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover copied folder 'IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' . If you point the installer to this folder, the mod files will be automatically installed into the root directory of your new copy.

You can check this by seeing if you now have a folder called 'DESERT' and a file called 'kegetys.dll' in the new directory. If so, the install was successful.

4. In explorer, go into your new IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Malta Mod' directory and locate the launcher.exe program which starts IL2 CoD, Right click and drag this program to your desktop and when you let go of the mouse button you should be prompted to 'create shortcut here'. Create a shortcut for this program on your desktop and rename it 'Malta'.

5. Right click on the new shortcut and select properties, then click on the 'shortcut' tab. In the 'target' field where it says something like "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" leave a space and then type

-mod=desert

The full line should now look like something this: "C:\Malta IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\launcher.exe" -mod=desert

6. To run the mod you just double click on this shortcut to start the Malta Mod version of CoD.

If you are successful you should see this splash screen when the game is loaded and you reach the menu screen.

At this point you can go to the quick mission menu, choose a quick mission over England, and quickly fly to check that the desert textures have been installed.

You should set trees to low or v low, depending on your preference, for the most realistic look.

PART 2: SKINS and MISSIONS

Now you can install the skins and demo missions.

1. Run 'Maltamissions#1.exe' and follow the prompts

2. This time when you are prompted where to install the files, you should choose your user content folder, which is usually something like:

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover

If you choose this folder and click next, the skins and missions will be automatically installed. If you don't pick a folder, they will just be dumped into your MyDocuments folder for you to install manually.

3. To check whether the files have installed correctly, start your Malta mod and go to the Single Missions Menu. You should see the two new single missions:

Now you can fly them and check that your skins have also correctly installed. You should see scenes like this:

If you do, congratulations and have fun! If not, pls post here and we'll try to help you get up and running...

Download mission pack 1 here:

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/down...-mission-pack-1

Cheers

Heinkill

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3828545 - 08/28/13 09:44 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Q&A

Is this a new map?

No, it just converts the green landscape tiles to mediterranean/north african look and feel. The Isle of Wight is used as a substitute for Malta.

Is this compatible with the Team Fusion mod?

No, this version is not. There is a more expansive version which IS TF Mod compatible, and contains two REDUX style campaigns as well. But it doesnt feature the desert textures... you can read about on the ATAG website here:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7493

I can't get this mod to work

The most common problem so far for people trying to install this mod and not getting a result, is that they have installed it over an already modded TF mod version of the game.

If your version of CoD is the TF mod version I recommend you do the following so that you can have both the TF mod and Malta mod games on your machine:

- In steam, reverify your game files. This will take the game back to the 'default' original version of CoD.
- Make two copies of this folder anywhere you like

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

And call one Malta, and the other TF MOD.

Apply the TF Mod to one folder and the Malta Mod to the other.

Go to the 'launcher.exe' file in each the folders and create a new shortcut on your desktop and rename them to Malta and TF Mod.

Now you have three flavours of CoD: original, Malta and TF MOD. And if any other new mods come along (no doubt they will!) you still have the original you can create another copy from, without wiping all your other content.

Why so complicated to install?

If you are familiar with the kegetys files and Jones Soft mod enabler, you may find that easier. If anyone comes up with an easier way to automate the process, please post here!

These skins are not appropriate to the unit types that fought in Malta

Well spotted. This package is a bit of a kludge, to give the look and feel of a Med campaign, but is far from being accurate in all respects.

Did you add any new aircraft?

No, the package will use the aircraft already available in CoD, which luckily include most of the main combatants who fought in 1940. At the moment adding new aircraft to the sim is a way off, though new variants of what we already have are possible.

Is anyone else working on a Malta map?

Yes, Team Fusion has it in the pipeline, though there is no word on a release date. You can be assured that if they do it, it will be with great accuracy and attention to detail though.

Will this pork my default installation of Cliffs of Dover?

Not if you create a new directory and game shortcut as described above. It will run in a separate directory to your normal game.

However it will use your user settings, which will be common between the two versions. So if you change your options in one version (eg Trees setting), they will also be changed in the other version.

I tried to download the Malta mod demo but get a message 'The user is out of bandwidth'. WTF?

I will post the demo on Airwarfare.com shortly. Some kind soul might also download and host it somewhere in the meanwhile...

Cheers

Heinkill

PS More screenies, just coz they look so cool... smile

[Linked Image]
#3828557 - 08/28/13 10:09 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Wow HeinKill, the effort you've put into this is amazing. Really smile

#3828561 - 08/28/13 10:13 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Pretty straightforward install for a mod Heinkill,although I didn't get that exact splash screen you posted.

Mine had a 109 in the foreground with a Spit behind and no text.

Will try it out soon,it's a bit late here now.

Last edited by Chucky; 08/28/13 10:29 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3828660 - 08/29/13 02:31 AM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
Bearcat99 Offline
Bearcat99  Offline

USA
I am going to have to try this out...

Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
#3828672 - 08/29/13 03:10 AM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Look good is right HeinKill. Those Stukas look their best in those desert skins

Is there a map available with the demo I've managed to take a spit and messer up in their desert skins, bloody nice.

#3828678 - 08/29/13 03:23 AM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Looks pretty cool. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3828713 - 08/29/13 05:34 AM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: bisher]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: bisher
Look good is right HeinKill. Is there a map available with the demo

Not sure what you mean...the map at the top of the post is the closest I've come to translating the Malta reality into the CoD world.

h

[Linked Image]
#3828806 - 08/29/13 12:57 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
AAR from the demo mission here, if you would like a flavour:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3828797/Battle_for_Malta#Post3828797

H

[Linked Image]
#3828890 - 08/29/13 03:40 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Hmmm,when I fly the malta demo the map is original, I fly this mission out of the editor

#3828977 - 08/29/13 06:24 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: bisher]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: bisher
Hmmm,when I fly the malta demo the map is original, I fly this mission out of the editor

Do you mean you aren't seeing the desert textures?

Or that the in game map is the original? That is true. The in game map is hard coded, can't change that. I have provided the jpg version above for referemce.

You will see here for example the in game map has all the original names on it. It is the Isle of Wight.

Immersion destroyer? It will be for some. But I happily played many campaigns in IL2 over Russian maps that were supposed to be other theatres.

I figure the 'Malta' theatre is so small, once you've flown a couple of times, you won't need to reference the map! And it is not a part of the coast that has featured heavily in any of the missions or campaigns done for the game so far, so it should be 'new' to many players.

H

[Linked Image]
#3828996 - 08/29/13 06:46 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes. Ho. I'm not getting desert textures, but it's probably due to an install issue I've created.

Definitely not an immersion destroyer for me, but suppose for some it may well be HeinKill, too bad cause they will miss out on all the fun smile

I'm having a blast with just the skins lol

Last edited by bisher; 08/29/13 06:54 PM.
#3829313 - 08/30/13 11:35 AM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Could be the mod wasnt put into the right directory...

Just check that the Desert folder and the kegetys.dll file are in the il2sturmovik directory (either in the new directory you created, if you created one, or in your default folder in steam\steamapps\common...the screenshots now in the first post might help.

H

[Linked Image]
#3829396 - 08/30/13 03:01 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes I'll have to have a closer look

Thanks HK

#3829512 - 08/30/13 07:07 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: HeinKill]  
Kristorf Offline
Kristorf  Offline

Milton Keynes, England
Mate, kudos for creating the campaign with what is there, but you could have at least left my name on the splash screen you used of mine?

#3829557 - 08/30/13 08:14 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Sorry honestly didn't notice it was cropped off - will make it fit! It is a lovely image so of course the credit should be visible.

H

[Linked Image]
#3829568 - 08/30/13 08:53 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo ava [Re: Kristorf]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
never mind

Last edited by bisher; 08/30/13 08:55 PM.
#3829823 - 08/31/13 02:52 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Just so we're clear you have to have a vanilla copy without the TF mod to run this, I guess if I want to go back to vanilla I can verify my original and it will convert it .. maybe?

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3829890 - 08/31/13 05:02 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Interesting question Bong, I'm running the TF mod, but not successfully.

#3831065 - 09/03/13 03:29 PM Re: Battle 4 Malta Demo available [Re: HeinKill]  
dietz Offline
dietz  Offline

Seattle
Mistakes are always possible,but I believe I have followed all the instructions:
1.) Made a copy of my "Steam" Game folder Steam/steamapps/common/il-2 Clod( just this last one,BTW.)Exracted the new install into it,and viewed the files:
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/Malta1_zpsf1c7ac6e.jpg~original[/img]
2.) Copied the Il-2EXE. to desktop & changed the shortcut name:
[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/Malta2_zps2aeb08cf.jpg~original[/img]

Tried it but all I get is my regular CloD game.No new screens or Malta.Yes I did second "skins & missions " install too but still no joy.
This isn't that complex & it should work ,but I'm getting no success after numerous re-trys to the sane new Steam folder...have I missed something?
BTW- I am all modded up with ATAG package & just assume it has the TF mod talked about here?

Last edited by dietz; 09/03/13 03:40 PM.

dietz
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.