Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3816080 - 07/30/13 12:19 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thanks to all of you for the kind words! salute

I don't know if I've gotten soft as I got older, but I well remember my first "kill". My son had gotten me CFS2 (I originally didn't want a shooting sim and only had FS2000). Anyway, I'm in my Corsair (of course) and in the thick of things, all of a sudden a Zero crosses right in front of me, 'way too close. One burst. One. It ripped into the forward fuselage and cockpit. He rolled away in flames, I followed, stunned that the end could come for someone just that quick. He never tried to get out, and yeah, he was just a bunch of 1's and 0's coursing through my machine, but the whole thing shook me, & made me think.

When you're young & all hot-shot, you think how cool it would be to fly these birds - and it would be, if someone else wasn't trying to kill you. Can you imagine what it would be like to have the machine that you implicitly trusted suddenly become a flaming death trap? And I say implicitly because you don't really realize how much trust you placed in it until it is no longer airworthy, but still a couple of thousand feet in the air.

Anyway, it was just a notable change in my life when I "grew up" and realized how horrible war really is, and the great courage these men had (not to discount the afore-mentioned youthful bravado, too, but still) to fly in theses rickety crates.

Thanks again,

Tom

Last edited by HumanDrone; 07/30/13 12:40 PM. Reason: too wordy

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3816085 - 07/30/13 12:36 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks HumandDrone for the great comments. Some of the view from the cockpit are amazing now must say and all being well you can all experience it yourself not to distance future. If I get chance I'll post a few more pics - very busy at the moment.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#3816094 - 07/30/13 01:18 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thank you, my good fellow! salute

Just hang in there like I said, don't burn yourself (selves) out. I'm hoping, like I said, to get back in the air more as the days get shorter.

Best to you,

Tom

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
#3816278 - 07/30/13 06:40 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted By: Polovski
Some of the view from the cockpit are amazing now must say and all being well you can all experience it yourself not to distance future.

No way Pol so...... twoweeks then winkngrin ha ha

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#3816330 - 07/30/13 09:27 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Great to hear Pol. My credit card is standing by.

Hellshade

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3816355 - 07/30/13 10:38 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Freiherr_Wulff Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!
Freiherr_Wulff  Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!

Dudley UK
whoohoo twoweeks

Excuse my grammar please. I struggle writing English

Patience is not a virtue, Its a waste of time.

Wings Over Flanders Fields Pics/Videos on my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VonWulf

#3816521 - 07/31/13 11:53 AM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Not to distant future....exciting

#3816534 - 07/31/13 01:03 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Not too distant future? Maybe even this year? That would be nice!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#3816568 - 07/31/13 02:30 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
I take it that they're getting close; still, I'd rather have it right than rushed!

But on that glorious day, there shall be wild revelry, and dancing in the streets! whoohoo woot

aroundthetree

#3818176 - 08/04/13 11:39 AM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Maybe it's the quiet right before the storm. biggrin

#3821083 - 08/11/13 09:10 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I don't know how many times I've brought this thread up just to look at the screenshots. I am beyond excited for the release!

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#3822004 - 08/13/13 08:28 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
stridge Offline
stridge  Offline

central NC, USA
Don't you people get it? It isn't going to happen. I bought OFF and the expansion, played awhile before moving on to RoF. Now that game is in decline as the owner moves on to more lucrative projects. So, RoF rose and fell while you were waiting on WoFF. Does that tell you something?

I hope you enjoy this social medium, but a year from now only Olham will be left.

#3822016 - 08/13/13 08:55 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: stridge]  
Robert_Wiggins Online smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Online Smile
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Stridge;

We have got nothing to loose and everything to gain waiting for WOFF. In the mean time we have OFF with Hat in the Ring and all the mods which in my opinion is far superior to what is out there now. This plus Lothar's OFFbase/OFFWorld products which are coming fast and furious to keep us busy in the mean time. In my opinion we are adequately supplied to have a great time with a WWI flight sim.

Keep the faith mate, WOFF will come, but should I be proved wrong OFF as it is will keep me busy for some time to come and there is much I haven't yet seen in that product!

Best Regards;

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#3822019 - 08/13/13 08:58 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: stridge]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: stridge
RoF rose and fell while you were waiting on WoFF. Does that tell you something?

Yep - that the OBD-Team has a long breath.
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3822026 - 08/13/13 09:06 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
It tells me the OBD Devs are dedicated to putting out a quality product regardless of how small their team is or how many setbacks have impacted them in their personal lives.

I bet a year from now not even Olham will be spending much time here. We'll all be too busy flying WOFF.

Regular screen shots and videos of WOFF make me feel certain the project is still well under way. That and the integrity of the Devs who wouldn't be wasting anyone's time saying that it was still in development if it had in fact been abandoned.

I don't expect to change your mind though. You are entitled to your perspective on the issue. Many have certainly felt the pain of the long development cycle. Good luck with whatever you decide to spend your time on sir.

#3822032 - 08/13/13 09:17 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
stridge Offline
stridge  Offline

central NC, USA
Fanboys, gotta love 'em. Where would the world be without blind devotion? Good luck to you, gentlemen. I'll believe it when I see it, but I don't have a "long breath" so I won't try to hold it.

Edit: When WoFF is released, I will come back to this forum and publicly apologize.

Last edited by stridge; 08/13/13 09:23 PM.
#3822039 - 08/13/13 09:42 PM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Macklroy Offline
Macklroy  Offline

What a lot of kids these days don't understand is the difference between 'simmers' and 'gamers'. A lot of fellows here played Red Baron well beyond when it was considered old and dead. I imagine most of the OFF crowd falls under the simmer category. We enjoy a full, rich experience in our sims. Gameplay, immersion, and authenticity are all weighted more heavily than graphics, new content and online death-matches. A simmer's passion for their hobby is not diminished over time either. While gamers tend to move from title to title like roaming locust hoards.
I'm not sure if Stridge is simply trolling us here or honestly believes that the fanbase of one title shares itself with the fanbase of all the titles in that genre. As for me, I have NEVER been a member of a gaming forum, as I don't have the stomach for it. But here with the OFF community we DO enjoy our social medium, because that's what simmers do. We enjoy the company of fellow enthusiasts. And while these boards are obviously more active upon the release of a new version (P2, P3, WOFF) that does not mean that our enjoyment of the current installment has waivered. Simply that there are now new things to share and debate over our common hobby.
Cheers gents beercheers Always a pleasure

#3822073 - 08/14/13 12:28 AM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
stridge Offline
stridge  Offline

central NC, USA
Macklroy, you posted here so you are by definition a member of a gaming forum. I wasn't comparing fan bases, in fact I only use RoF as a WW1 flight simulator, since that's really all it's good for. As I wrote, I've played OFF and would love to have an updated version, especially since RoF appears to have no plans to take the campaign game out of beta status. My point, if I have one, is that four years of waiting on that update is just a joke. Maybe the owners should contact Matrix Games, who often infuse dying wargames with stimulus money.

If the members of this forum want to pat each other on the back and talk about the good old days, so be it. I'm not trolling, I really want this game to succeed. By the way, this "kid" is 66 years old, played Red Baron on an Apple II, and recognizes BS when he steps in it.

#3822101 - 08/14/13 01:55 AM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Macklroy Offline
Macklroy  Offline

I agree the "kid" remark was too much of a generalization. My apologies. And no...I'm still not a member of a gaming forum. A simulation forum yes. But there "IS" a difference, as I was so ineffectually trying to convey in my previous post.
I agree that WOFF has been a long time coming but a 'joke'? I don't believe so. The small dev team was just kind enough to inform their fans waaaay early on in the development process of their intentions to continually support and improve on their product.
And I really don't understand your opposition to people coming to these forums and enjoying the current installment of the sim. Are you implying that people should not be satisfied with the game in its current form? And we should be demanding an update or we are simply fanboys? That is exactly why I stay OUT of gaming forums. The 'entitlement' attitude is so disrespectful and annoying. The respectful and helpful nature of this (sim) forum is more to my liking and further pleasure of the hobby.
I've already put more effort into this conversation than it deserves. I will agree with you on the point of loving to have an updated version. But wanting the game to succeed? I believe it has already. But that's just a 'fanboys' point of view I suppose. copter

Last edited by Macklroy; 08/14/13 01:56 AM.
#3822142 - 08/14/13 06:23 AM Re: Awfully Quiet Around Here... [Re: stridge]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: stridge
By the way, this "kid" is 66 years old, played Red Baron on an Apple II, and recognizes BS when he steps in it.

So you are a real veteran pilot, and I guess you have stepped in many a BS.
From my outside view I have seen over the years, that the OBD Team is an absolutely serious and devoted one.
I think this team cannot be compared to other sim-making companies, because of several reasons.
The team is MUCH smaller than most of the others. And they do not seem to make it firstly for
a money-making business, but much rather for REAL enthusiasm and devotion.
Otherwise they would have changed the whole business form after the success of OFF.
They seem to be building it after their daytime jobs, in the late evening and early night hours,
and many times I have thought that I wouldn't have had the endurance to do that, despite any enthusiasm.

Now, many of us "flight sim fan boys" (boys mostly over 40 at least) have watched what happened
to Oleg Maddox's VERY long announced "Battle of Britain". Although they were a company with far
more employees, and although they worked on it as a full-time/day-time job, they worked on it
far longer than 4 years. And the final outcome - "Cliffs of Dover" - made me ask, what the hell
they had been doing over all the long time?
Waiting for WOFF may also be a long time. But I believe to know the dev team good enough by now,
that I can be sure we will not have to ask that question, when WOFF is released.

Regards from a another veteran (my first "sim" was "THEIR FINEST HOUR")

Last edited by Olham; 08/14/13 06:32 AM.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.