Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3812637 - 07/22/13 02:11 AM Advice on folding bicycles  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I am thinking of getting two folding bikes to use when I fly. Anyone have any experience with them ?

Something along the lines of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-26-Folding-S...=item56572875b4

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=136941&DL=MSN1&SC=WIK20001&

or better

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Recon-Folding...330&sr=1-19

The 20 inch tire models seem a little smaller and lighter, but I think they may look a bit ... sissy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Hinge-20...=item35be2fb177

Last edited by oldgrognard; 07/22/13 02:21 AM.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3812644 - 07/22/13 02:51 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
No they do look sissy but you're getting a folding bike for the utility of having one not for what people perceive your bike to be.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3812678 - 07/22/13 06:25 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
You'll be better off using an airplane when you fly not a folding bike biggrin

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3812690 - 07/22/13 07:33 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
I was thinking (I know you're older than I am) if you've considered a longboard skateboard. They're fairly easy to ride (even if you've never used a skateboard), way cooler than a folding bike and can get around quite fast and easily with the right combo or big soft wheels and super fast bearings. I'm not sure how far you'll be planning to travel from your plane but maybe its an option to consider.

All else just get the folding bike that meets your needs and don't worry about perceptions, I'm 32, 6ft tall and still ride BMX bikes. You can't imagine all the "that guy beat up a little kid and stole his bike" looks I get riding around town!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3812691 - 07/22/13 07:39 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

I'd consider a 'normal' bike with S&S couplings allowing it to break down to two rigid halves, with the coupling being slightly stronger than the frame, rather than the type of folder shown in the first image, where the joint is a weak-spot in the design and can seriously compromise frame stiffness and stability. I have known the old 'shopper' type folding bikes to fail catastrophically if they come unclamped, or the hinge side fails. That joint is on the highest loaded portion of the frame.

Slightly spendier, but they make an extraordinarily better 'compact' bike.

The I-Ped is lethal ~ no vertical dimension makes the frame far to vulnerable to twisting, and if built strong enough it would be almost twice as heavy as an affordable 'good' bike... and getting on for 4x heavier than a nice lightweight.

The 'Army' bike looks marginally better (the tube profile is a bit larger, increasing torque resistance and stiffness without requiring as much extra weight.... but the cost is low enough to suggest (as the comments do also) that the components are excessively heavy and of poor construction also.

I'm very light (115lb) and I'd be wary of riding any of these ~ particularly at any speed ~ I'd expect to see serious deformation climbing hard, and shimmy at high speed when descending, plus a probable absence of braking effect.

I'd not recommend anyone to buy a bicycle that is (realistically) priced at $400 or less (about £300) ~ this is not to say that I'd pay 3x for a crap bike, but be prepared to pay more to get a lighter, stiffer and stronger 'system'. (one replacement wheel for my touring bike (with tyre) cost more than any of those 'complete'... which says something to the absence of quality).

As retaining the frame stiffness *and* permitting it to fold/breakdown is a challenging technical process, especially if done with an eye to having a bike that is a pleasure to ride... I'd expect to add at least $250-300 to the minimum spend to give a packable bike of some value.

The use of a full-size bike isn't overly difficult with flights or trains in my experience, but if I did ever feel the need for something that could be made compact...

I'd look for an off the shelf or custom frame of traditional form but with S&S coupling (or BTC), or a Moulton (which is a small wheeled folder, but with a space-frame, rather than a heavy single tube, which makes it much stiffer and lighter).

#3812724 - 07/22/13 10:51 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Horses work fine in my area.
You can find one almost anywhere....... wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3812726 - 07/22/13 10:55 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: Mace71]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

Such wit,you must be a hoot at parties Mace biggrin

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3812727 - 07/22/13 10:57 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
sp00k Offline
Where the Phantoms are..
sp00k  Offline
Where the Phantoms are..

Amersfoort, Netherlands, Europ...
I commute between my home town and Amsterdam by train, so i bought a Strida folding bike.

Length wise its a bit to long imho, but it folds up in 3 seconds, folds out in 5 seconds, is damn easy to maintain, also no dirty trouser legs since there's no chain but a belt.

http://www.bikerepublic.com/strida-sx-4/

Mobo: Asus Z97 A - Cpu: I5 4670K
Gpu: R9-290 Tri-x - Psu: Corsair RM750
Ram: Corsair 4x4gb ddr3 @1600mhz
Case: Corsair 750D - Ssd: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
#3812745 - 07/22/13 11:52 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: Chucky]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Chucky
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

Such wit,you must be a hoot at parties Mace biggrin

Never get invited, no idea why nope

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3812751 - 07/22/13 12:18 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Forget folding bicycles:

You know you want one biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3812885 - 07/22/13 04:33 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

My LBS agreed with my assessment. Avoid any bike under £300 or thereabouts, minimum for folding is much more rigid at £400+ and for safety and 'good' handling qualities over £500 from reputable manufacturers (ie not the same bike for more money ;))

He generally thought folding bikes were not a good idea and suggested the same two "separable" options that I did:

Moulton and S&S/BTC

Neither is cheap, but both will give a compact bike that is 'as good' as a good quality full-size bike for similar weight. (less than 1lb heavier than a high-end bike is much lighter than most 'generic bikes').

#3813080 - 07/22/13 10:53 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
I am thinking of getting two folding bikes to use when I fly. Anyone have any experience with them ?

Something along the lines of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-26-Folding-S...=item56572875b4

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=136941&DL=MSN1&SC=WIK20001&

or better

http://www.amazon.com/Army-Recon-Folding...330&sr=1-19

The 20 inch tire models seem a little smaller and lighter, but I think they may look a bit ... sissy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Hinge-20...=item35be2fb177

Having done the serious road cycling thing for several years, I understand where Lieste is coming from. If you are looking to do more challenging rides than just to get into town, or a restaurant near the airport... then what he's telling you is good stuff.

I suspect your needs/desires are a little less demanding on bike efficiency and more about being able to fit these into your Cessna. If so... The Schwinn Hinge 20" may be a very good choice. Depending on the shape and size of your cargo storage space, the 20 inch wheels could make fitting a couple of those in a LOT easier. The other thing I thought might be good is that it doesn't have the derailleur mechanism to get hosed up. You give up the advantages of multiple gears during your rides, but simplify your life as far as loading/unloading and maintenance... plus a little less likely to get black chain grease on to your nice interior, or luggage.

If the appearance is more important to you, and you have the space, the Army Recon looks pretty convenient.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 07/22/13 11:08 PM. Reason: D'oh!
#3813089 - 07/22/13 11:19 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3813097 - 07/22/13 11:36 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Murphy
Horses work fine in my area.
You can find one almost anywhere....... wink

Yeah man. Just find a surplus cargo glider you can tow and put a couple of horses in it. charge

Now that's real Air Cav!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3813110 - 07/23/13 12:40 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
We'll pick your bike up and put it down like a baby, right where you want it.
This is the First of the Ninth, Air-Cav, son. Air mobile!

He can take that point and hold it just as long as he likes, and you can get any place up that road that suits you, young Captain.
Hell, a 15 post thread! All right.

OG, go with Lieste and CyBerkut and let them pick out a bike for you.
And bring me my Trek, the 24 speed.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3813138 - 07/23/13 01:37 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
CyBerkut made the right call about how they will be used. Wife and I will just use them to toddle around at airports. Ride them to nearby restaurant or shops. No demanding usage.

Good point about the single speed not having the derailed and being cleaner. However I might prefer the 6 speed. I think I prefer the 26 inch versus the 20 inch.

Anybody have any feedback one single versus 6 speed for what I'm going to use them for ?

Lieste, you obviously have some real competence on bikes and I appreciate your information. I guess I'll go to a bike shop and see what you are talking about. I lack experience on the topic.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3813154 - 07/23/13 02:28 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

A fun 'wrinkle' on the 'fits in a 26"x26"x10" bike box, is a BTC/S&S tandem. This eliminates one bike entirely, and can be fun in it's own right.

Probably unsuitable for what you want, but just throwing it out there.

While the bikes themselves may have low technical requirements (and can thus afford to be towards the 'BIKE SHAPED OBJECT' rather than a bike), they will be unpleasing to ride, so this *will* be the limit of how you use them... a slightly nicer bike is actually a thing of joy in it's own right.
Further the excessive weight of the cheaper bikes may be expensive in terms of increased fuel in flight (marginal, but still there) and reduced 'other' payload permitted ~ more significant for some light aircraft.

Ultimately it is your money, and your usage style, but I'd be unwilling to ride most of those you showed (and many of the 'affordable' bikes offered generally). A good bike uses aero-engineering standards and techniques to keep weight down and stiffness and strength 'up', and to give consistent handling... cheaper bikes use more affordable 'automotive' standards, which emphasise cost at the expense of weight and efficiency. The fact the "engine" of a bike is significantly less than 1HP and a good posture on a light bike may be less than 1/5th HP for a 'fast clip' suggests that optimising weight as much as the budget will allow is "a good thing".

I'm not at all wealthy, but I have two bikes ~ a £450 hybrid, which I find bearable but not 'fun' ~ and a £900 tourer (purchased second hand a decade ago for £250 - since accessorised and maintained with a further spend of £800+ on top). Both are ostensibly "the same" similar sizes and setup, same size of wheel, type of tyre etc, but the touring bike suits me much more... to the extent that the other has been barely ridden in the last 5 years ~ though I still keep it as an 'emergency ride' and for a loaner if I want to invite a bike-less person (also of small size) to ride with me.
Most of my journeys (by occasion) are short ~ less than 5-10 miles would be 'median', but I also do longer distances and enjoy taking in hills*... my day 'record' stands at 225km ridden from Derby to Bath in 12 hours, door to door, though that is exceptional for my riding ~ usually not much more than 100km in a day ~ though I have done a handful of mile centuries.

*this is fortunate living in Bath ~ as I can easily exceed 1000m climbing in a single days' walking ~ and much more with the longer legs a bike offers.

#3813221 - 07/23/13 06:45 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

if portability is the main consideration, try the original and best: http://www.brompton.co.uk/pages/9035

(not much good for mountains though!)

#3814341 - 07/25/13 10:36 PM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
CyBerkut made the right call about how they will be used. Wife and I will just use them to toddle around at airports. Ride them to nearby restaurant or shops. No demanding usage.

Good point about the single speed not having the derailed and being cleaner. However I might prefer the 6 speed. I think I prefer the 26 inch versus the 20 inch.

Anybody have any feedback one single versus 6 speed for what I'm going to use them for ?

Lieste, you obviously have some real competence on bikes and I appreciate your information. I guess I'll go to a bike shop and see what you are talking about. I lack experience on the topic.

OG, what are the dimensions on the cargo space you would be carrying them in? And how much weight are you willing to allocate to them (CG considerations, and how much you want left over for luggage, etc.)? You may find those numbers limit your options.

Having some gears to shift between can certainly make for more pleasant rides... especially if you have to deal with some hills and/or marauding canines. Some bikes have gears that are inside the rear hub rather than the derailleur setup... might be enough and still keep things a little cleaner and snag free.

I'm not riding anymore, but if you get up to Inverness, the folks at Suncoast Bicycles Plus (right on the Withlacoochee trail) are very knowledgeable and have a lot of experience with tandems if you decide to look into that. I seem to recall that they also sold some bikes using S & S couplings while I was actively riding.

http://suncyclecenter.com/articles/map-directions-suncoast-bicycles-inverness-pg423.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ARW1oMbwE

Down in Brooksville, Crank Works Bicycles (formerly Brooksville Bicycles) had a large selection of bikes and the owner seemed very knowledgeable and friendly. I only stopped in there once though, FWIW.
http://www.crankworksbikes.com/

#3814419 - 07/26/13 03:00 AM Re: Advice on folding bicycles [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Got one of these to try. It will be here Wednesday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Voltage-250W...=item33826c413b

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.