Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3799203 - 06/20/13 01:52 AM Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc..  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
I'm having a little difficulty understanding what the difference between all the DCS products are.

If I buy Flaming Cliffs 3 is the A10 that comes with it the same as the A10 that can be purchased separately on their online store or??

How about for the other aircraft and software that's listed on their page?

I don't understand the differences well.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3799223 - 06/20/13 02:34 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Okay:

DCS World: This is a free package that is the foundation that DCS runs on. It includes all of the air, sea and ground models, AI, etc. etc. This is free, and includes an Su-25T that you can fly. All current DCS modules need this program to work.

DCS Black Shark: This was the original DCS, and allows you to fly a realistic recreation of the Ka-50 Black Shark. This is NOT compatible with DCS: World, you need to purchase...

DCS Black Shark 2: This is the same thing as Black Shark, but updated to be compatible with DCS: World. You can buy it at a discount if you own DCS: Black Shark 1.

DCS A-10C: This module allows you to fly a realistic recreation of a Suite 3 A-10C.

DCS P-51D: This module allows you to fly a realistic recreation of a P-51D Mustang

Flaming Cliffs 3: This is an update of Flaming Cliffs 1 (LOMAC V1.11/12) and Flaming Cliffs 2, adding the ability to fly the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A/C and Su-25 in DCS World. These aircraft are not as accurate as their "DCS" series counterparts. They have simplified avionics and flight models. Due to a previous business arrangement with Ubisoft, you are required to have a copy of a previous version of Flaming Cliff installed before you can install Flaming Cliffs 3. Lock On: Modern Air Combat, LOMAC:Flaming Cliffs, or Flaming Cliffs 2 will all satisfy this requirement.

To answer your question, the A-10A in FC3 is not the same as the A-10C. The A-10C has an advanced flight model, and simulates various systems and avionics such as displays, navigation and target computers, and datalinks that the FC3 A-10A only approximates. All DCS aircraft also have fully interactive, clickable cockpits while FC3 aircraft do not.

There will be a series of separate modules that model each of the FC3 aircraft with advanced flight models, but keep the simplified avionics. These modules will not require an installation of a previous Flaming Cliffs version.
It is my understanding people who have purchased FC3 will also receive these upgrades, but I may be wrong. I also believe I heard that in the future, Eagle Dynamics may develop these airframes to full DCS standards (AFM, full avionics, clickable cockpits), but again, I cannot locate an official statement to verify this.

DCS Combined Arms: This module allows you to control ground forces in DCS World. Options available to you are the ability to control individual tanks and SAMs, strategically control groups from the map, or act as a forward air controller. As a FAC you can mark targets with smoke, IR laser, or targeting lasers, as well as control vehicles.

THIRD PARTY MODULES

DCS "Huey": This module allows you to fly a realistic recreation of a UH-1H Helicopter. Features planned for the final release of this aircraft include multiple player pilots per airframe simultaneously over the internet (I.E. A friend operating the door guns while you fly), as well as a sling load. This is also the first "3rd Party" add on to be released. It was not developed by Eagle Dynamics, but by Belsimtek. ED sells this module for them through its online store.

DCS MiG-21: This is a module in development by Studio Beczl that will allow you to fly a realistic recreation of a MiG-21bis "Fishbed". This module has yet to be released.

DCS Hawk: With this module you will be able to fly an accurate recreation of a BAE Hawk light attack/ trainer. This module is still under development by Virtual European Air Operations.

DCS T-2 Buckeye: This module will be realistic representation of a North American T-2 Buckeye light attack/trainer. This module is still under development by Razbam studios.

DCS F/A-18E: This will be a realistic F/A-18E Super Hornet. It is still in the early stages of development. It will be finished by Coretex Designs.

DCS F-35A: This will be a "realistic" (as much as possible) recreation of the Lockheed Martin F-35A Joint Strike Fighter. Development by Kinney Interactive is just now starting, or will start soon.

DCS L-39: An accurate recreation of the Aero L-39ZO/ZA and dearmed variants. This module is in development by the Virtual Patriots Jet Team

DCS F-104G: An accurate recreation of a Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, in development by Mil-sim Projects.

There are more modules that are in development, or that have been announced that are not currently being worked on, that I have not listed.

Last edited by near_blind; 06/20/13 05:28 PM. Reason: I cannot spell

Off to greener pastures
#3799276 - 06/20/13 08:11 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Wow! And THAT, folks, is how you answer a question!

Nice work blind!

#3799306 - 06/20/13 10:41 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Silver_Dragon Offline
Silver_Dragon  Offline

Arafo, Canary Islands, Spain
You lost the L-39 Albatros Team: acurated recreation of L-39 civilian / ZA / ZO versions and other future module list

More News to the Front
#3799312 - 06/20/13 10:52 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: eno75]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: eno75
Wow! And THAT, folks, is how you answer a question!

Nice work blind!

I concur! +1 For Blind!

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3799322 - 06/20/13 11:31 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Molasses Offline
Molasses  Offline

Missouri
I am very impressed.near blind... I actually learned some stuff. biggrin

#3799475 - 06/20/13 04:50 PM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Vaporblast Offline
Vaporblast  Offline

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Blind,
You sir, deverve a standing ovation for this answer.
Everybody should read your post and learn how to actualy give a precise and informative answer in the forum instead of just writing ''use the search function''. You went above and beyond what was asked by the OP.
Thanks for participating in thease forum in such a way.

Last edited by Vaporblast; 06/20/13 04:50 PM.

No matter what you do, the bullet with your name on it will get you. So, too, can the ones addressed "To Whom It May Concern".
#3799502 - 06/20/13 05:35 PM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: near_blind]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

The "realistic" air quote easily applies to the F/A-18E as well.

Originally Posted By: near_blind

DCS F/A-18E: This will be a realistic F/A-18E Super Hornet. It is still in the early stages of development. It will be finished by Coretex Designs.

DCS F-35A: This will be a "realistic" (as much as possible) recreation of the Lockheed Martin F-35A Joint Strike Fighter. Development by Kinney Interactive is just now starting, or will start soon.

--
44th VFW
#3799884 - 06/21/13 12:45 PM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Runibl Offline
Runibl  Offline

Faroe Islands
I must commend you on a great way to answer a question.
+1 for near_blind

Rúni. "IceCat"
#3799942 - 06/21/13 02:38 PM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: GrayGhost]  
near_blind Offline
near_blind  Offline

Thanks everyone biggrin

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
The "realistic" air quote easily applies to the F/A-18E as well.

Originally Posted By: near_blind

The "realistic" quotes weren't a dig against Kinney Interactive, it was a reference to the fact that the F-35 is still a prototype. Because it's performance is so dependent on software that isn't complete yet, I doubt anyone knows what the avionics of a line F-35A will look like with any degree of accuracy needed to create a simulator. Kinney has the unique challenge of trying to hit a moving (stealth) target. I'm still confident they'll be able to deliver something as believable as the A-10C, at least until I'm proven otherwise.

The Super Hornet has been in service for upwards of a decade now, and while we definitely won't be flying around with a realistic AESA or the pit-wide LCD display, I'm confident it's possible to create a realistic recreation of an older block F/A-18E. It's not as if it hasn't been done before.

Off to greener pastures
#3800535 - 06/23/13 03:07 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

what I still do not understand is this : does the dcs world core already contain A-10C, P-51, Uh-1 and other modules? is the data for AI and MP already inside the dcs world so that for example A-10C owner can fly together (or in SP) with Huey owner even if they do not own the other modules?

I'm still waiting for at least they release the 64 bit dcs world first before I try

#3800580 - 06/23/13 08:27 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
narfnarf Offline
narfnarf  Offline

Hannover, Germany
Yes, at the moment DCS World contains already all 3d-models, AI etc. for every module available. You do not need to own a specific module if it takes part in an online mission.

DCS World is already a 64-Bit application...

#3800582 - 06/23/13 09:44 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Buren Offline
Buren  Offline

Ungarn
Nice answer near_blind, but you forgot to mention that the next in-house (i.e.: developed by Eagle Dynamics) module, will be the F/A-18C (legacy) Hornet.

Not too much info about this one, other than that its development is officially acknowledged.
(e.g.: mentioned in the the June 21 update -- "The next such "DCS" title will be F/A-18C.")

#3800907 - 06/24/13 10:25 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: narfnarf]  
n4p0l3onic Offline
n4p0l3onic  Offline

Originally Posted By: narfnarf
Yes, at the moment DCS World contains already all 3d-models, AI etc. for every module available. You do not need to own a specific module if it takes part in an online mission.

DCS World is already a 64-Bit application...

DCS World already 64 bit? where did you get that? are you sure? because I'm sure they said last year that 64 bit will still be integrated sometime in the future

#3800909 - 06/24/13 10:35 AM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
narfnarf Offline
narfnarf  Offline

Hannover, Germany
DCS World is 64bit since a long time. That's not a big secret.
The only new/planned thing is that they will drop the 32 bit support in the near future but as the 32 bit version did not provide all (graphical) features and still might require some serious tweaking in order to run at all that is no surprise at all.

#3801102 - 06/24/13 07:38 PM Re: Can someone help me understand the difference between FC3 / A10 / P51 etc.. [Re: n4p0l3onic]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: n4p0l3onic
what I still do not understand is this : does the dcs world core already contain A-10C, P-51, Uh-1 and other modules? is the data for AI and MP already inside the dcs world so that for example A-10C owner can fly together (or in SP) with Huey owner even if they do not own the other modules?

I'm still waiting for at least they release the 64 bit dcs world first before I try

DCS World is in both versions in parallel right now, but in 32-bit form you have serious limitations. Given ED's limited resources, it's really in everyone's favor if they can dump that branch and concentrate on the 64-bit version.

I was a holdout for a long time, I didn't go 64-bit OS till July 2012, but now I regret I didn't go earlier. Perhaps when Win7 came out late 2009 it wasn't necessarily the most pain-free choice...I still had some 16-bit apps (really old games) I was using on occasion. However, I probably should've switched early 2011 or so.

As for modules, when you DL one you're getting the campaigns, single missions, cockpit, and avionics files needed to fly the airplane. Its 3D model and FM and all its weapons are all in DCS World so even if all you have is Black Shark 2 you can fly with P-51s and UH-1s and F-15Cs and A-10Cs online or offline in the various missions. On the plus side, each module's size is reduced because of that. On the minus side, the core game is larger for your initial setup. However, once you're done the patches fix it all at once, you don't need to patch DCS World and THEN A-10C and THEN FC3 and so on.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.