Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3792620 - 06/05/13 11:37 PM Need help deciding on mount for this gem  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
Ok, I know some of you have this firearm. I can not make up my mind what mount I should use. I am looking at this one http://www.desertwarriorproducts.com/m1a.html and this one http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html. Is any one using one or the other. The only thing I dislike about the second mount is you remove the rear sight.

Any thoughts?

Bullet

Specs
home built I7 870 Lynnfield Chip at stock speed 2.93 with Evga P55FTW system board, A BFG GTX275 Vid card, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator Mem 2600+, 1.3 TB on 2 WD Hard drives, Corsair H50 water cooler.X-65F with peddals and Tir 4 track clip pro One badass machine...
A truism "liberals, who believe that everyone should categorically agree with them because their theoretical positions are "a higher truth" than the positions of any person out there living in and interacting with the real world."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3792635 - 06/06/13 12:20 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
First, do not get the aluminum one. The T shaped points on the M1A receiver will wear them and weaken the set. The steel are better. Have no experience with the titanium mount. Off the top of my head there should be no problem with it. The question is whether the small weight saving is worth the cost. Likewise I have no experience with the paratroop model. Seems it is the standard steel mount with some steel cut out to make it lighter. I am probably not in the mainstream because for a long-range shooter I like the weight. Didn't mind humping the weight of a heavier shooting set-up. Lose the weight in other gear.

Don't know what you mean - the second mount. As best as I know none of the three point mounts needs to remove the rear iron sights. The third point goes down the stripper clip guide. Roll pin is driven out, slide forced in, mount leveled and set, then roll pin driven back in. Been a long, long time since I've done it, but I don't remember any problems with the rear sight having to be removed. Can't really use it with the mount especially if your do a cheek piece to get your cheek weld proper. And you will need to do a cheek piece to get your head placement right. It will get your placement right for a scope, but will not allow you to get low enough to properly use the iron sights.

The M1A is a wonderful gun. One of my absolute favorites. I have sentimental attachment to them. But the weak sister of the system is the scope mounting system. These threes into are as good as you get. But again, don't get the aluminum one.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3792636 - 06/06/13 12:24 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
I like the Smith Enterprises mounts (from Desert Warrior Products in your link). I'm not sure what the CASM people are talking about since I never had the mount cause a jam in my old M1A. However, I shot most of the rounds without the mount. The position of the scope and cheek weld made shooting awkward on the M1A. It just wasn't comfortable for me.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3792638 - 06/06/13 12:32 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Here is mine with a cheek piece that I fiddled with. Started as a Blackhawk nylon with cords. I worked with a cobbler who does all my leather work to customize it. Cut some very firm dense foam and added it to the Blackhawk. Shaved, shaped and angled it to get the height and slope just the way I wanted it. Then covered it with a soft brushed leather to give it the texture I wanted. Used a couple pieces of double sided tape on the inside of it where it would meet the stock of the rifle. I have always had cords loosen and slip so I wanted something that was removable, but would give it a more positive lock. Then laced the cords. Used a small wooden dowel to twist and tighten them until they were good and secure. Then finished up the tie. It is just the way I want it now. I should work on where the glue is visible against the original nylon where the soft leather cover is attached, but haven't gotten around to it.

Oops, I was doing my slow two finger typing while you posted.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 06/06/13 12:33 AM.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3792639 - 06/06/13 12:32 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
Thanks guys. I thought in the second mount they showed the rear sight removed and they used the housing only. I could be wrong on that. On the sadlak I was only looking at the steel. I thought Titanium was way to much.. So really it does sit high. Damn that might affect my neck. OG, so investing in the adjustable cheek weld allows proper sight alignment. ok I will look into that also. Shan, OG thanks for the input! I now have a shopping list smile.

Bullet

Specs
home built I7 870 Lynnfield Chip at stock speed 2.93 with Evga P55FTW system board, A BFG GTX275 Vid card, 4Gigs Corsair Dominator Mem 2600+, 1.3 TB on 2 WD Hard drives, Corsair H50 water cooler.X-65F with peddals and Tir 4 track clip pro One badass machine...
A truism "liberals, who believe that everyone should categorically agree with them because their theoretical positions are "a higher truth" than the positions of any person out there living in and interacting with the real world."
#3792642 - 06/06/13 12:36 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
You posted while I was still finishing my post so don't know if you should go back and re-read it.

I never had any ejection problems.

If you want, I can do some better pics of the mount and cheek piece.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 06/06/13 12:37 AM.

#3792643 - 06/06/13 12:44 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
Thanks, I appreciate it. I have read several forms that said the adjustable cheek weld helps with alignment! I will look at that and purchase it when in the next few months. Again thanks for the input and I really like that m1.. Yours is sweet. How heavy is it. I got the synthetic stock and has a base weight of 8.8 lbs.

Bullet

Specs
#3792644 - 06/06/13 12:48 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
8.8 lbs empty? That seems lighter than my standard M1A... I always thought the synthetics would be heavier. Go figure... smile

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3792646 - 06/06/13 12:50 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Mine is probably quite a bit heavier. When I had the stock made for me, I had them make it just a bit larger and beefier than standard. Not that you would feel or notice it if you weren't extremely experienced with them. Also the wooden upper forearm is heavier than the stock fiberglass, but just looks better. And as I said, I like them solid for long--range shooting. I have a NightForce 12-42 scope on it and those a re heavy. The NightForce scopes are built tough; tough means weight.

Last edited by oldgrognard; 06/06/13 12:51 AM.

#3792654 - 06/06/13 01:47 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Richardg Offline
Richardg  Offline

My best advice...that rifle doesn't need a mount. You can hit a target at 600 yards with just the iron sights. I had the standard model, with battle sight set at 300 yards.

#3792680 - 06/06/13 03:30 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Bulletstop Offline
Bulletstop  Offline

Littleton, Co
Unfortunately Richard, my eyes are not even close to being what they used to be. I am hard pressed to see a standard 100 yard target. optics is and I hate to say this mandatory. I am thinking of a Muller 6-24 scope. OG again thank you for your input. Shan I actually could of chose the wood, it actually was heavier.
On a separate note. this is the suppresser I am thinking of. I have read some folks have issues where others do not. http://www.advanced-armament.com/762-SDN-6_p_433.html. Again any input welcome!!

Bullet

Specs
#3792695 - 06/06/13 04:34 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I'm with Richard. I used to own an M-14 when they were legal here, and could never get used to the high scope mount.

My eyes aren't specially good, but found the service aperture sight very accurate. I found it very natural to gaze through the aperture and put the blade on the target. Instinctive.

Damn John Howard, I loved that gun.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#3792704 - 06/06/13 05:58 AM Re: Need help deciding on mount for this gem [Re: Bulletstop]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Well, that is a good problem/ decision to make!

And in my self serving plug...if you want ammo...reserve is exactly $1 above the present price....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=345336728

Last edited by Airdrop01; 06/06/13 05:58 AM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.