Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3862365 - 11/14/13 09:28 AM Re: Gaining an advantage from head on pass? [Re: The Nephilim]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

Originally Posted By: The Nephilim
Yes I never said they do NOT happen it is just my advice to avoid them if at all possible. Also if it is AI that is one thing but if going up against another Human pilot that is totally different..

Best Advice is to Avoid a Knifefight..

Roger Out..

Yep some human pilots are good others not so good, IMO going up against more than one human pilot is fun guns only. In an aircraft like the P51 in DCS sometimes just flying without crashing is enough to win the dogfight lol. tactical

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3862481 - 11/14/13 04:07 PM Re: Gaining an advantage from head on pass? [Re: Shadowdawn]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
whenever i was dealing with a situation like this i would try to assess whether the enemy pilot was better than me or worse, and take into account his a/c's performance.

for example i often flew a6m2's or a6m5's in IL2. very light, fast climbing airplane with a very low stalling speed. i often fought against fast planes like p51's or f4u's.

at the merge a single hit on an a6m2 will kill it so it was vital to avoid being hit. i would make it a priority to come in at a difficult angle so that the deflection shots were hard to make for my opponent. from his point of view, i'd often come in at a shallow dive from the right hand side, crossing in front and under his engine cowling.

at the merge, i would typically try to make my opponent reverse direction as quickly as possible, making him waste energy. you can do this by starting your lead turn earlier, just before the merge. he'll usually try to follow you.

i'd then usually start a slow spiral climb with the opponent purposefully on my 6- the bad guy is trying to get a lead shot on you so he's usually turning harder than you are, wasting energy. positioning myself just outside of where he could hit me - he is within gun range but he doesn't have enough speed to pull the nose around harder without stalling out. sometimes it takes just one circle, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 to get to this point.

i think this is the critical phase. if the pilot is smart he'll realize what you are doing and he'll ease up, break contact, or he'll lead you more gently so he can keep up with you without stalling out or losing energy, in which case you'll have to shake him.

but more often than not, pilots get greedy when your aircraft is just at the tip of their sights, and they will try to lead you more and more because you are presenting such a juicy target.

as soon as i could see that the opponent was getting low on energy, or at the limit of its slow flight range, i'd increase my climb even further and put the aircraft on the brink of a stall while continuing to turn into the opponent. smart opponents will give up but you'll still usually be able to get an advantage on them at this point.

bad pilots will usually be toast at this point and you can simply unload the aircraft, turn in and make a descending gun pass at them. if you get in close enough they won't even be able to outrun you without taking tons of hits.

if you're facing an aircraft of the same performance, then you can use the same tricks to your advantage. get your opponent to load his aircraft up, which wastes energy, then when he's finally just about out of energy, unload your own aircraft and use the slight energy disparity to make an attack run.

#3862612 - 11/14/13 07:45 PM Re: Gaining an advantage from head on pass? [Re: SUBS_17]  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted By: SUBS_17
Originally Posted By: The Nephilim
Yes I never said they do NOT happen it is just my advice to avoid them if at all possible. Also if it is AI that is one thing but if going up against another Human pilot that is totally different..

Best Advice is to Avoid a Knifefight..

Roger Out..

Yep some human pilots are good others not so good, IMO going up against more than one human pilot is fun guns only. In an aircraft like the P51 in DCS sometimes just flying without crashing is enough to win the dogfight lol. tactical

Well best thing to do if you are in a Dogfight and want an advantage over a head on pass turn early..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3862696 - 11/14/13 10:05 PM Re: Gaining an advantage from head on pass? [Re: Shadowdawn]  
SUBS_17 Offline
SUBS_17  Offline

The options are the Vertical and the Horizontal Lead turn and if done the right way you can be on their 6 quite rapidly.

Horizontal

Vertical

Also a snap shot is another option in the head to head pass.

"Trust me I know what I'm doing" Detective Sledge Hammer
#3880070 - 12/19/13 04:13 PM Re: Gaining an advantage from head on pass? [Re: Shadowdawn]  
Laurwin Offline
Laurwin  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shadowdawn
Hi,
I'v always been into combat sims but i'v tried to get better at BFM.
Recently I was engaged in a dogfight on-line in the DCS P-51. We were both at a relatively low energy sate, the fight had decended to below 2000 ft with plenty of turning bleeding the energy.

He got on my six so I extended to try to get him outside my turning circle. I came back around to a head on pass.
But we just kept making head on passes constantly for about 9 or 10 passes, total stalemate. I try to avoid a guns shot head on because I always seem to have a mid air collision as the other fighter reacts and tries to get a shot off on me.

How can one get an advantage from a head on pass at low energy? We were just above stalling. Is it possible to avoid constant head on passes as each tries to gain an advantage?

Thanks!

Judging by this original scenario: the P51-D pilot does have a couple options vs fw-190-A (1v1)

Why didn't you turn fight against the fw-190? (forgive me, but I thought that mustang was an ok turner, presumably the fw190 will NOT outturn mustang easily, at least?)

More over, why didn't you run away in the mustang, extend away from the fw190? (mustang is faster aircraft than fw190, and even acceleration should be better in mustang)

If you run away far enough in mustang, you could start climbing at the same time. After having done some climbing, and running, you could have turned back to finish off the fw190. Turning back towards him, at higher altitude, you would have to avoid the one snap shot opportunity from fw190. After that one shot opportunity, the fw190 is a sitting duck (rope-a-dope tactic being used here)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.