Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3752793 - 03/18/13 09:11 AM Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
Back in the day things used to be so simple.

Left, right, shoot/jump.

Life was easy. My simple intellect could keep pace.

Nowadays !!!!!!

Lot's of buttons and commands, shifted one's to help them all squeeze in. Some with un-obvious cryptic names just to help make life easy.

ADD TO THAT, video settings, resolution settings, aliasing settings, SMAA, FXAA, high, low, medium etc.

Then there's the add on extras, not essential, but essential non the less.

TrackIR profiles and curves, dead zones, speeds, smoothing, limits etc etc.

Joystick sensitivities and dead zones, ingame and out

Then there are mouse controls with toggle switches and macros and DPi settings.

Then there is Belkin N52 settings with buttons and combination buttons and macros and mouse wheels and profile switching etc etc etc.

Then there is V.O.N settings and teamspeak settings and profiles and V.A.C settings and profiles and making sure they don't conflict and what buttons to assign them too on an already cramped button map.

AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF, you just know that if you don't get a system set up quickly enough that you're happy with (like that's ever going to happen) you'll forever be pressing the wrong buttons or doing the wrong action because that's what your muscle memory tells you to do when under pressure and grasping for the right keys.

"GRENADE"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3752804 - 03/18/13 10:37 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
simple soloution, just re-map the keys to something you'll remember ..

failing that, theres always call of duty or battlefield3, there still simple left, right, shoot/jump games wink

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3752811 - 03/18/13 11:04 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Meatsheild]  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
simple soloution, just re-map the keys to something you'll remember ..

failing that, theres always call of duty or battlefield3, there still simple left, right, shoot/jump games wink

You don't think I invested in all this kit just to bunny hop around do you ? neaner

Anyway it's more of a general state of the nation post, not specifically ArmA, it's just that ArmA III has my attention at this moment in time.

#3752886 - 03/18/13 02:16 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I took my first steps before you used a mouse for shooters...good old keyboard-only control using WASD and the arrow keys.

Running at FULL 320x200 res.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3752921 - 03/18/13 03:14 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Me too, Castle WOlfenstein... biggrin I was literally scared...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3752984 - 03/18/13 05:17 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: komemiute]  
Doggie Offline
Doggie  Offline

Canada
I remember that and Spear of destiny ohh god those were the days. Even installing was fun (1.44) FDs

Core i7 10700KF, MSI Z490 MEG UNIFY, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 1 TB SAMSUNG NVMe x 1, 4TB Seagate SATA3 x 2, CORSAIR RM850x PSU, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 4 and Oculus Rift S.
#3753462 - 03/19/13 02:23 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Heh, I remember rushing out to buy Falcon 3.0 on 5.25" FDs (because I didn't trust those fancy new 3.5's yet) and eagerly popping disk 1 in the drive...to a failed install. I literally went back to EB twice exchanging it to similar failures before I went online to Prodigy and saw from others that OOPS! SH's 5.25" installer was bugged and didn't work. They were going to be releasing an update via their BBS, but that was a long distance call and at 28.8 speed I wasn't going to do that.
So, back to EB...this is my 4th visit for F3 in one day!!...and getting the 3.5" version.

Took that home, and OMG it actually installed after all those floppies were done. Then came the fun of getting enough conventional RAM to run it free...

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3753472 - 03/19/13 02:33 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Oh yeah, I remember the config.sys, autoexec.bat and command.com.

Falcon dance alright, still back in the day.

SSDD wink

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3753582 - 03/19/13 05:07 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
lol yes conventional ram, forgot about that

#3753589 - 03/19/13 05:15 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Doggie Offline
Doggie  Offline

Canada
I remember when I got my sound blaster, and had to upgrade my ram from 4MB to awesome 12MB, and then I could play fleet defender with SB16 goodness biggrin

Core i7 10700KF, MSI Z490 MEG UNIFY, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 1 TB SAMSUNG NVMe x 1, 4TB Seagate SATA3 x 2, CORSAIR RM850x PSU, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 4 and Oculus Rift S.
#3753904 - 03/20/13 01:33 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Remembering having to configure sound ports?

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3759911 - 03/30/13 11:33 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Ratatoeskr Offline
Ratatoeskr  Offline

Friesach, Austria
Oh yes, freeing conventional RAM (because the games couldnt use the RAM over 640kb) was unnerving. But my personal top 5 of the most annoying things in the old times are:

1.) in the really old times: having a hercules graphics card and being not able to run games, because they require CGA and your cga-emulators can't handle them,
2.) when graphics became much better but the games were still shipped on floppy discs: installing a game shipped on 27 discs (e.g. wing commander, strike commander) and having read errors on one of the last ones (return to start)
3.) spending hours on driver installation / trouble shooting
4.) fighting with bugs and problems and having no internet to ask how to work it out
5.) having a XT when the game required an AT (or simply having to few MHz to run the game) - games weren't as scalable as they are now

Nowadays optimizing is complicated, but the games run (even if you can never be sure that you have the settings giving you the optimal graphics/performance relation)

Commodore PC-1, 8086 4,77 MHz, Hercules Monochrome Graphics Card, 640 KB RAM, 5 1/4 and 3,5" Floppy, 20 MB HDD
#3763449 - 04/06/13 02:39 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
I remember before computers. |lOL

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#3763635 - 04/06/13 05:13 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: the soupdragon]  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
Originally Posted By: the soupdragon
I remember before computers. |lOL

SD

What pre Babbage ? That is surely the longiest long time ever.

#3764252 - 04/08/13 12:27 AM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Oh, you mean back when people had jobs that they could do even if the computers were out? I've never experienced that, it seems everywhere I go "PCs are down" = "everyone stands around and talks and snacks".
I guess all those jobs disappeared ~1995. Either that, or before then no one worked at all they just stood around snacking and talking about "how much work we'll actually do once PCs are invented."

The Jedi Master

#3765372 - 04/09/13 11:14 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I used to be a master at customizing the order of tsr's in the config.sys/autoexec.bat so as to maximize the available memory for the games I would play.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3765738 - 04/10/13 05:56 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
A hard-won skill that became irrelevant in Windows 95.

Not that the skill itself is dead, the loading order of mods in games like Arma or Skyrim is still important today.

The Jedi Master

#3781319 - 05/12/13 09:13 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
piiman Offline
piiman  Offline

I feel your pain. By the time I have everything setup I don't even want to play the game anymore lol
and you can't go back to it because you'll never remember how you set it up.

Last edited by piiman; 05/12/13 09:18 PM.
#3781345 - 05/12/13 10:20 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Ratatoeskr]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Waiting half an hour for the tape to finish loading only for it to crash out..now that was painful..or the tape with the save of over years worth of playing Elite gets chewed up by the tape machine..most painful gaming memory..

Originally Posted By: Ratatoeskr
Oh yes, freeing conventional RAM (because the games couldnt use the RAM over 640kb) was unnerving. But my personal top 5 of the most annoying things in the old times are:

1.) in the really old times: having a hercules graphics card and being not able to run games, because they require CGA and your cga-emulators can't handle them,
2.) when graphics became much better but the games were still shipped on floppy discs: installing a game shipped on 27 discs (e.g. wing commander, strike commander) and having read errors on one of the last ones (return to start)
3.) spending hours on driver installation / trouble shooting
4.) fighting with bugs and problems and having no internet to ask how to work it out
5.) having a XT when the game required an AT (or simply having to few MHz to run the game) - games weren't as scalable as they are now

Nowadays optimizing is complicated, but the games run (even if you can never be sure that you have the settings giving you the optimal graphics/performance relation)

#3782860 - 05/15/13 10:27 PM Re: Life is just so darned complicated these days (Gaming) :D [Re: Damocles]  
stiffstarch Offline
stiffstarch  Offline

Maryland, USA
LOL...you guys....my first system was a TI-99...big console with monitor and puter together....ohhhh the graphics, the graphics...
in RGB squares...or should i say just really big pixels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.