Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
#4039668 - 11/23/14 04:55 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
This next turn was not pretty at all. On the left flank, I lost two more guys as Rambler moves in with a Sherman and some accompanying infantry:

Over on the right flank, Rambler discovered my Knoll task force and opened up on them with his Sherman. About 8 men were lost in this debacle. The men farther up the hill are effectively trapped with nowhere to go:

The only good news this turn was that 5th & 6th Companies made no contact in the woods.

Next turn orders:

All 3 platoons of 6th Company will continue to cautiously make their way forward. Behind them, my platoon under the guns of the Sherman will try to make a break for it into the woods. Even if they do make it, my bid to retake the Knoll is effectively thwarted, since Rambler now knows my intentions:

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4049006 - 12/11/14 08:38 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

twoweeks
behindcouch
Need fix before Christmas hiatus!
Thanks
salute

#4049683 - 12/12/14 06:23 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Been busy with stuff for Black Sea. smile I'll check to see if I have a new turn in my inbox tonight.

#4060625 - 01/07/15 07:12 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Don't worry, I've not forgotten about you guys. biggrin

So, where were we...

Against all odds, the two units I sent scurrying out from under the guns of the Sherman actually made it, in part because the Sherman chose another group of men, who also by a miracle survived unscathed. The former group of men, once they were out in the open, were actually shielded from further fire by the Sherman, thus allowing their escape:

No action of any sort farther up the hill in the woods on this part of the map.

The left flank is proving to be a massacre for my men. This particular group of guys managed to chase off a two-man group of riflemen and then take down a man from another group nearby, but soon after they lost two of their own to concentrated MG fire. What's left of the infantry in this area is fading fast:

Next turn orders:

I'm going to continue trying to move more men out of the line of fire of that Sherman. These two squads are going to try to join the rest of their platoon in the orchard:

Even though this tank is useless to me, I'm going to move it up as a ruse to see if I can shake out any of Rambler's men. Meanwhile, 6th Company will continue to cautiously move up:

#4061803 - 01/09/15 09:36 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
piston79 Offline
piston79  Offline

Originally Posted By: LukeFF
Been busy with stuff for Black Sea. smile I'll check to see if I have a new turn in my inbox tonight.

What is this Black Sea stuff? A game?

#4061904 - 01/10/15 01:27 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: piston79]  
'Sapper' Offline
'Sapper'  Offline

Croydon UK
Originally Posted By: piston79
Originally Posted By: LukeFF

What is this Black Sea stuff? A game?

Russian invasion of the Ukraine with US forces involved.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?opt...&Itemid=579

#4062256 - 01/10/15 09:42 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
With a little bit of luck, I was able to extricate the two squads still under fire from the Sherman. As they made their move, the Sherman fired an HE shell at them, but a tree made sure its effect was harmless. By turn's end, they had made it into the edge of the grove. A nearby light mortar, meanwhile, also targeted these men, but their one shot just landed amongst a group of casualties:

Over on the left flank, what's left of my men continued to be pounded by MG and HE shellfire. That shellfire is now being joined by my two fire missions, but at this point it's not going to make much difference. One notable moment from this turn came from the 2nd Platoon XO of 10th Company. With bullets and shrapnel landing all around him, he still had enough wits about him to aim his K98k at an enemy rifleman. Moments after this shot was taken, said rifleman turned tail and ran:

As Rambler told me, the grave diggers (and souvenir hunters) are going to have a field day here after the battle is over.

Next turn orders:

Having made no contact with the enemy, 5th & 6th Companies will continue to move forward into the woods. The good news is that I now have men on this particular objective zone:

The machine gun platoon I had sent to take the Knoll objective but now held up by the Sherman will now make their way back towards the way they got here. The plan is to then have them wait until the fire mission on the Sherman guarding the road commences. Once that happens, they will make a break for it and try to join 5th & 6th Companies in the woods:

#4066386 - 01/20/15 01:25 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
In the woods on the right flank, elements of 6th Company encounter two of the enemy this turn. One is wielding a Sten and is taken care of without incident; the second is a rifleman who managed to take out one of my men before nearly simultaneously being taken out by one of my machine-gunners:

Meanwhile, up ahead on the road, 5th & 6th Company reported sounds of tanks on the move...

In the orchard into which my 9th Company platoon escaped, contact was made with a small group of infantry. Fire was exchanged, but by turn's end I had lost two men, including this rifleman who foolishly remained out in the open:

On the left flank, it's all over. No one's left there.

Next turn orders:

It's now all about the woods on the right flank. So long as I have men in this zone, I will deny Rambler victory points for this objective. As 6th Company is light on anti-tank weapons, 5th Company will bound forward and hopefully be the first to make contact with whatever armor Rambler may send into the woods:

#4072191 - 01/31/15 10:44 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
My men in the orchards finally start to return fire on the enemy. Meanwhile, Rambler moves up his nearby Sherman, but it didn't fire on anything:

5th and 6th Companies continued to move forward in the woods. No contact with the enemy was made this turn.

Next turn orders:

Continue to move up into the woods with 5th and 6th Companies:

#4073027 - 02/03/15 02:52 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Skipping ahead one turn:

I've split off a scout team from 6th Company to see if there is any activity on my right flank. These two guys did fire on an unspotted (by me) contact, but nothing else materialized here or elsewhere in the woods:

My platoon that made it into the orchard is not faring well. Rambler reoriented his Sherman to fire upon it, while up on the hill some enemy infantry have slowly been chipping away. One bright spot this turn was this MP44-armed man who managed to return some fire right before turn's end:

The one silver lining is that, as a result of the Sherman focusing its attention on this group, my men trapped farther up the hill have been able to make good their escape. They are now moving back up the hill into safety:

Over on the left, the two survivors of one of my weapons platoons has managed to retreat behind a hedgerow and set up in a reverse slope position. They caught this two-man HQ team moving down the hill. Although none of them were hit, they were hugging the ground soon after these shots were taken:

Next turn orders:

3rd Platoon 6th Company will pivot to the right to screen my flank, while the rest of 6th Company and 5th Company will continue picking their way forwards:

Finally, my little MG42 team will move a bit down the hill:

#4073062 - 02/03/15 04:56 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Sure enough, no more did the next turn begin than the guy in the above screenshot was taken out of the fight. Meanwhile, a tank spotted my little MG team and killed the team leader:

Nothing else to really report this turn.

Next turn orders:

As usual, 5th & 6th Companies will continue to move forward. I'm also going to send a couple of AT teams to deal with a Sherman which I believe is still in this area, along the road:

#4073482 - 02/04/15 01:35 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As expected, there was an enemy rifleman on the other side of the hedge. As he ran away, one of his friends left a parting grenade gift for us. Thankfully this grenade did no harm to my men:

My attempted attack on enemy armor on the left did not go well. My lead AT team came under fire near turn's end, with the result of one man down and the other running for it. Of course, there was a nice juicy Firefly there for the taking...

Next turn orders:

Continue scouting up through the woods and try a better approach on any enemy armor positioned along the road:

#4074957 - 02/07/15 01:29 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Rambler's Sherman Firefly moved up a bit and spent this turn firing at who knows what, because I certainly don't have any men near what he was shelling:

And that was about it for this turn.

For the next turn, I'm going to try again to take out the Firefly with my AT guys. Meanwhile, I'm going to dash a few guys across the road and see what bites:

#4074971 - 02/07/15 02:06 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Well, as expected, Rambler moved the Firefly away from the hedges and out of range of my AT weapons. sigh By turn's end it was coming back around the back end of the farm. Not quite sure what he has in mind:

Meanwhile, the first of my men made it safely across the road:

Next turn, more of my men will make the dash across:

#4075038 - 02/07/15 05:00 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Well, no more did the next turn begin than a shell from a Sherman guarding the road slammed into the midst of my guys. Miraculously I lost only one man, and the rest made it safely across. The rest of the turn saw the Sherman pounding a hedgerow, to effect.

Before sending more men across I'm going to lay down a smokescreen with the grenades my infantry are carrying.

#4075437 - 02/08/15 07:21 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Well, after nearly 2 years, this match is finally over. biggrin I'll post my final thoughts later on in a day or two.

#4077901 - 02/13/15 04:38 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
To wrap this up from my end, I'll start by stating where I went wrong. biggrin First off, I moved my Panzer IVs on the left flank too far forward. These tanks are already very vulnerable to Shermans by this date in the war, and so putting them even closer to the enemy really didn't help. To do it over again, I would have moved them no farther than where I first made contact with Rambler's sniper team (the one that took out my FO) into blocking positions that would have dominated the road junction.

The second mistake I made was on the right flank where, instead of driving for the manor, I elected to swing left for the woods objective. This was problematic for a number of reasons: it negated the long-range advantage of my Panthers, and the woods are a meatgrinder for infantry. Even as it was, were it not for one 3-man enemy team, I would have held the right-hand woods objective, so maybe it wasn't all bad to go for this one. biggrin In any event, going for the woods left my right flank wide open, which allowed Rambler to swing around behind me and seize both the Knoll and an objective that was in an area I did not have to hold. If I had launched my rockets at the manor, I could have seriously attrited Rambler's forces there and set up a strong jump off point for attacks against the woods.

Ah well, live and learn. smile

And now for how some of my armor units stacked up in the end on the scoreboard:

My one remaining tank at game's end - the one without any weapons controls - cleaned up nicely:

My "rescue Panther" I sent running around the map with an under strength crew went above and beyond:

So, that's a wrap from me on this one!

#4079803 - 02/17/15 04:19 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Thank you for this AAR. I've followed it from inception.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.