Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
#3762804 - 04/04/13 10:41 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: enigma6584]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: enigma6584
Regarding your scouts...do you use a very short cover arc in order to prevent them from firing? You know in order to have them hold fire and not draw attention to oneself? Looks to me like he is extending his picket line by a good distance.

Yep, I do that. And hopefully I can push his picket line back a bit with that mortar strike. biggrin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3762806 - 04/04/13 10:47 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
Regarding your scouts...do you use a very short cover arc in order to prevent them from firing? You know in order to have them hold fire and not draw attention to oneself? Looks to me like he is extending his picket line by a good distance.

Yep, I do that. And hopefully I can push his picket line back a bit with that mortar strike. biggrin

Sound tactics. thumbsup I don't think I've ever had them without some very short cover arc. They are so valuable for spotting and staying unseen, would be a waste to have them open fire. Going to be fun watching that mortor strike. If you can, would be cool if you capture video of the strike and post up here for us to see in real time action.

#3762824 - 04/04/13 11:08 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: enigma6584]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Going to be fun watching that mortor strike. If you can, would be cool if you capture video of the strike and post up here for us to see in real time action.

I'll try to remember to do that. smile

#3762998 - 04/05/13 11:05 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
The chore of scouting continues. On the left flank, the scouts from Der Führer are not quite in position yet but will be next turn. Meanwhile, my units spot more infantry movement in the direction of the center of the map:

Meanwhile, enemy infantry continue to push forward from the North-East Slope. Hopefully my mortars will be in time to give these guys a warm reception: biggrin

Speaking of which, Obersturmführer Euling watches and waits for the first spotting rounds to fall:

I want some more eyes on what Rambler's doing, so I'm moving up the 9th Company HQ from Der Führer a bit:

Lastly, not much to report on Deutschland's flank at the moment. I'll move these scouts up next turn and continue to probe. The halftracks and armor will continue to wait:

#3763750 - 04/06/13 11:12 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As my Der Führer scouts on the left flank move up, a couple of rifle potshots can be heard in the distance. Although no distinct location can be determined, at least I know now that Rambler has troops defending this space. I'm going to move up another scout team to the adjacent field, in addition to moving up another of my forward observer teams, since with their binoculars they are more adept at spotting distant troops:

Also, I'm moving my heavy machine gun platoon in preparation for moving up in this sector:

On the right flank, my Deutschland scouts haven't noticed anything, so I'm going to move them up to the next hedgerow. If all looks clear I'll start moving up the Hanomags and armor soon. Behind them, the Nebelwerfers continue to pummel their target zone:

#3764186 - 04/07/13 10:32 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
And first blood is drawn, at my expense: frown

On the left flank, a soldier from one of my rifle squads is felled by a Lee-Enfield:

This is followed a moment later by the forward observer being hit in the gut. You can see the aforementioned soldier in the background who was also hit. A moment later, the second man in the forward observer team was also knocked down:

The one good thing in all of this is that I finally know where this rifle fire is coming from. It happens to be the same hedgerow at which my scouts are located:

So, to counter this, I'm going to have the rifle squad that lost a soldier spray some fire in the direction of the contact. Meanwhile, I'm going to halt an MG42 team from the heavy machine gun squad and have them lay down some fire as well. Hopefully the combined fire will drive off these pests:

Meanwhile, I've noticed that Rambler is moving some troops away from the area where my 81mm mortar fire is schedule to land. I get the sense that he realizes this isn't a good place to put his troops. Speaking of which, the first spotting round has fallen:

I get the sense that Rambler is trying to establish an outpost in the center of the map, so I'm going to counter that with some 120mm mortar fire called in by one of my Company HQs. Hopefully he'll get the hint that this isn't a safe place to be:

Lastly, on the right flank, the Nebelwerfer strike has ended. My dismounted scouts from Deutschland have not spotted anything, so I'm going to start moving up the Hanomags now. My idea is to stay on the reverse slope side of this map as long as possible before hooking left and attacking the Knoll:

So, things are starting to heat up!

#3764330 - 04/08/13 05:04 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As yet another of my guys falls to rifle fire, my suspicions are confirmed: I'm dealing with a sniper team. Thankfully, one of my rifle squads opens up with its LMG and dispatches the sniper, while his assistant is pinned to the ground:

I'm going to send this scout team in the direction of the last guy and see if I can't get them to finish that last guy off. As one of them has an MP44, this shouldn't be too difficult:

Meanwhile, another 81mm spotting round falls really close to where I want them to be. Fire for Effect should be called soon:

So, for now on this flank it's time to calm my guys down and perform buddy aid where needed. Other than Rambler pulling some troops back from the mortar target zone, he's not showing me a whole lot in this sector. And besides, my force is not yet ready on this flank to press forward.

Meanwhile, on the right flank, my scouts have still not spotting anything of importance. So, I'm going to move them up some more. Meanwhile, the Hanomags begin to move out:

#3764498 - 04/08/13 03:06 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Nice use of those scouts. Short, cautious and methodical. One small, tiny gripe against graphics...I wish BF would get rid of those "WH" license plates...they just don't look right on SS vehicles. nope biggrin Just have skins with no license plates would be better IMHO.

#3764919 - 04/09/13 03:29 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: enigma6584]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
One small, tiny gripe against graphics...I wish BF would get rid of those "WH" license plates...they just don't look right on SS vehicles. nope biggrin Just have skins with no license plates would be better IMHO.

Yeah, it is a bit puzzling, considering the lengths they've gone to (and will be going to with Gustav Line) depicting vehicle skins for the appropriate time frame.

#3765620 - 04/10/13 02:13 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
UPDATES!!! pitchafit

"Burn them all."
--------------
Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3766007 - 04/11/13 08:07 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Coming. smile

As the turn begins, my pair of scouts slowly moves forward and sure enough, they spot the last man of the sniper team. My soldat with the MP44 takes care of him easily:

Meanwhile, another pair of my scouts notices a Vickers MG team retreating back towards the slope. They take a few pot shots at them, but to no effect:

However, Rambler does continue to push scouts forward in this sector. I'm going to adjust my 81mm mortar strike to target this position. If nothing else, I want Rambler to know I have eyes on him and that his scouts are not safe:

Finally, my scouts on the far left have spotted another group of scouts moving across the field to their front. I'm going to keep these scouts on hold-fire orders (especially since they all just have Kar98s), but I am going to send a light machine gun team over to the far left, since that seems to be the destination of Rambler's scouts:

Nothing to report on Deutschland's flank. All is still quiet over there.

#3766302 - 04/11/13 06:46 PM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I didn't realize that you had lost your FO team. Ouch!

#3767084 - 04/13/13 08:20 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: enigma6584]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
I didn't realize that you had lost your FO team. Ouch!

Yeah, that did hurt, but thankfully I have plenty of other units that can call in fire. One thing I did do wrong with eliminating that sniper team, though, is that I left that platoon in the woods on Hide orders for far too long.

#3768345 - 04/16/13 07:58 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As the next turn begins, one of my MG42 heavy MG teams spots the Vickers MG team heading back towards the slope. They send a few shots downrange before the team momentarily disappears from sight. A few moments later they are seen heading along a wall and farther away from my troops:

Meanwhile, the scout team my scouts spotted moving across the field have slipped out of sight for a moment, but I know where they are. I now have this light MG team keeping a watch on the field where I know they're at:

The 81mm mortar team has acknowledged the request to adjust fire and should be putting rounds on the new target area shortly:

Not much to report on the right flank. I'm going to continue moving up my scouts, as usual. I was tempted to move my Panthers up this turn, but I want to keep them where they're at for now in case Rambler sends something significant from the direction of the North-East Slope. If he does, my armor has some good sight lines in this area from which it can engage the enemy. But, until that occurs, I don't want them to be needlessly spotted by Rambler and subject themselves to artillery fire. For now, just the Hanomags will move up - into the group of trees.

#3770021 - 04/19/13 04:13 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Not a lot to report on this next turn. The only real event of significance is that the spotting round from my adjusted 81mm fire mission was pretty close to the designated target, so that fire mission should be going in very soon. My 120mm fire mission is still about 3 minutes out.

On the right flank, I'm going to give my scouts a breather for a minute and move the rest of the dismounted 2nd Platoon up.

#3770023 - 04/19/13 04:30 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Tense. When you have your tanks and other vehicles standing still from the set-up phase, do you put them in "hide" mode? I thought I read somewhere that you can do that and it will simulate the vehicles having a lower sound profile.

#3770597 - 04/20/13 03:07 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Yep, I put them on Hide orders. They will indeed emit a lower sound profile when one does that.

#3770662 - 04/20/13 09:05 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
With my 81mm mortar mission adjusted, Rambler knows I'm trying to target his scouts, so he sends them scrambling away to the west:

As they are scurrying away, one of my rifle squads spots and opens fire on them with an MG42. At the end of the turn the scouts were still being fired upon but had not yet been hit:

Meanwhile, on the right flank, my scouts will move up a bit more. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to swing left and attack the Knoll objective. When that's the case I'm going to need to move my Panthers up, but for now I'm keeping them at their starting point, just in case they need to react to something on the left:

#3771036 - 04/21/13 09:33 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As the next turn opens, Rambler's scouts are chased away by mortar fire and fire from that same MG42 team. After pausing for a moment, they hook right and continue moving north. By the end of the turn they're in a new location, which conveniently is within sight of one of my forward observer teams. So, they're going to get some more 81mm attention. biggrin

As you can see from my screenshots, I have a battery of 105mm howitzers now at my disposal. Since I have some time, I'm going to move up one of my rifle platoon HQs and call in a fire mission on the slope. I'm concerned Rambler has some AT weaponry lurking among the treeline and hedgerows there:

Lastly, my scouts on the right flank still have spotting nothing. It's almost time to form up for an attack on the Knoll, but until then, more scouting is the order of the day:

#3772361 - 04/24/13 04:29 AM Re: Combat Mission Normandy During-Action Report: The Mace [Re: LukeFF]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
As the turn plays out, a pair of my scouts (highlighted in yellow) on the left flank take a bit of machine gun fire. I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from, but it's most likely coming from the small group of buildings across the field. I'm not going to worry about them right now, but once I start my assault I'll need to either blind them with smoke or hit them with artillery fire:

Also, I've ordered one of my rifle platoon leaders to call in a 120mm mortar fire mission here, as I've a suspicion Rambler has some hidden AT assets along this slope:

On the right flank, my scouts and dismounted infantry platoon continue to cautiously move up. Also, in preparation for the attack on the Knoll, I'm moving up two of my Panthers to support them. The platoon HQ and one other tank will stay back for now:

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.