Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3755517 - 03/22/13 02:21 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: Vertigo1]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
If it's a German production, expect it to pour on the "convenient lie" excessively. (I'll probably catch some flack for that! :D)
Considering the highly politically correct environment in Germany, I highly doubt that anything of a revisionist nature would be greenlit for German TV.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/22/13 02:21 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3756048 - 03/23/13 07:36 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Spent some time in Skiing in Munich and Garmish, then went on to Austria, when I was in the service on a 30 day furlough.
"Basket leave". It was during the 'Ocktober Fest' (I'm sure I spelled it wrong).
The language was German in both countries.

I learned "You are drunk" from them, and "Give me another beer" for me.
And for the girls, "good evening", and "good morning".

But I'm sure it didn't come out very well.
I was only 20 years old at the time.
Sure did have a good time though.....
Lucky most of them spoke English.
And in the end....it didn't matter much.

We were all friends back then, a different time.

"Murphy's Law"
#3756059 - 03/23/13 09:19 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
You can watch the movie with english subtitles at youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DOKsAmOrM

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#3756060 - 03/23/13 09:30 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Will have to watch this when I get a chance. Looks like it might be interesting.

Will have to use the subtitles, my year of college German 25 years ago isn't cutting it. All I remember are a few swear words and everything else I learned from Hogan's Heroes reruns.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3756084 - 03/23/13 11:08 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: Wklink]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Originally Posted By: SimHQ Tom Cofield
Will have to watch this when I get a chance. Looks like it might be interesting.

Will have to use the subtitles, my year of college German 25 years ago isn't cutting it. All I remember are a few swear words and everything else I learned from Hogan's Heroes reruns.

Can you still order a beer in German?

Good enough then. The rest comes with practice.

#3757080 - 03/25/13 08:53 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

Okay, saw the first film yesterday evening. And it was everything I expected it to be. Well, maybe I was too prejudiced. But anyway, while it is very good from a technical point of view, the story and the way it is told is exactly what one would expect from a German World War II/historical Third Reich area film.

I read on a certain news page that this film is different and that it tells a different story and that it tells the story like it has never been shown before. I dont know where the author of that article was hiding all the years but I can tell that "Unsere Mtter, unsere Vter" doesnt show anything that hasnt been told and shown already for I dont know how many times. And some of the stuff is simply pathetic, which has the exact opposite effect on me than the producers probably originally intended with this miniseries: I find it ridiculous. Yes, this has all been there and probably happened like this. But really, showing it again and again doesnt change a thing. And I for one are simply fed up with being told the same stories over and over again.

One of the best German war movies ever? Not even remotely, at least not in my book, more a rather typical one.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#3757241 - 03/25/13 03:11 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
My wife and I went to see a movie premier a few weeks ago for a movie called "The Secret of Westerplatte." It is a Polish movie about when WWII began, with the German invasion of Poland. It centers on the Polish point of view of having to fight the invading Germans in Westplatte, near Gdansk, as they were the last stronghold in Poland before the Germans finally took over. They held their own despite news that Krakow and Warsaw and others cities had already fallen, hoping that the British and French would come to their aid. It was sobering movie as you never really see WWII from the Polish viewpoint.

Afterwards the filmmakers and the actors did a Q&A session and it was pretty interesting as to how historically accurate they had made the movie with attention to detail. It was a good thing Joanna is fluent in Polish otherwise I wouldn't have been able to follow what was being talked about in the Q&A (the movie was subtitled).

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#3757246 - 03/25/13 03:15 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: Murphy]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Murphy
Spent some time in Skiing in Munich and Garmish, then went on to Austria, when I was in the service on a 30 day furlough.
"Basket leave". It was during the 'Ocktober Fest' (I'm sure I spelled it wrong).
The language was German in both countries.

I learned "You are drunk" from them, and "Give me another beer" for me.
And for the girls, "good evening", and "good morning".

But I'm sure it didn't come out very well.
I was only 20 years old at the time.
Sure did have a good time though.....
Lucky most of them spoke English.
And in the end....it didn't matter much.

We were all friends back then, a different time.

From my work in Germany I self taught me this:

"Bitte nicht schiessen!"

Just to be on the safe side.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3757256 - 03/25/13 03:39 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: komemiute]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: komemiute

"Bitte nicht schiessen!"

Which reminds me to make the following public service announcement to all those Americans, who, for the life of them, can't spell "Wiener" or "Bieber" correctly: Don't do it in this case! biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#3757266 - 03/25/13 03:52 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Has there ever been a German film or tv production about the Germanic tribes during the Roman Empire period?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3757359 - 03/25/13 05:55 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Thanks for the link, an interesting and absorbing series; one doesn't often come across programmes or films from the point of view of the German side. Their version of 'Band of Brothers' (still to my mind the best TV drama series ever)

#3757372 - 03/25/13 06:13 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Has there ever been a German film or tv production about the Germanic tribes during the Roman Empire period?

There is a very old (1967) movie, I think I have seen it in my youth, but don`t really recall it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144962/

There is a quite good documentary (4 x 45 min.), but I think it is only available in German:

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3757388 - 03/25/13 06:24 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: kilosierra]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: kilosierra
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

There is a very old (1967) movie, I think I have seen it in my youth, but don`t really recall it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144962/

There is a quite good documentary (4 x 45 min.), but I think it is only available in German:

Thanks for this link, I'll check it out tonight. smile

I did watch the opening couple minutes of the video though and noticed the Germanic woman with the perfect skin and shaved armpits. Didn't know people back then were so hygenic and clean. biggrin

#3757447 - 03/25/13 07:43 PM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: gunship]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
There is also "A Far as my Feet Will Carry Me" chronicling the true story of a German officer who escaped the gulag in Siberia and walked to freedom:

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#3757636 - 03/26/13 02:14 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: Jayhawk]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Originally Posted By: komemiute

"Bitte nicht schiessen!"

Which reminds me to make the following public service announcement to all those Americans, who, for the life of them, can't spell "Wiener" or "Bieber" correctly: Don't do it in this case! biggrin

You owe me a new cup of coffee!

rofl

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3757639 - 03/26/13 02:25 AM Re: one of best german war movies ever ! the world should see this [Re: BD-123]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally Posted By: BD-123
Thanks for the link, an interesting and absorbing series; one doesn't often come across programmes or films from the point of view of the German side. Their version of 'Band of Brothers' (still to my mind the best TV drama series ever)

That's the exact way I'd describe it, A German Band of Brothers.

I only caught one episode with subtitles. Now I need to find the rest.

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.