Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3755829 - 03/22/13 10:09 PM GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
0400 - SAF and Unitia forces set out on a few probing attacks against unknown forces somewhere in Angola in 1988.

After beating the Bush contact is made. A Cuban mech infantry squad equiped with a btr60. Its 14.5 mm heavy Mg can punch threw the light aromr of a ratel.

The unit commander of this OP (ME....) Beleaving only light oposition in area after 40 minutes of probing with only 1 squad encountered desides to press attack on a village.

He has his ratel 90 fire support vehicles link up with 2 platoons worth of Unita infantry to attack from South West. While using another ratel 20 platoon in a blocking/secondary attack/reserves location to south east.

All hell brakes out as the forward platoon of Unita infantry is ambushed by Angola and cuban forces. Silly CO forgets to take screen shots........

Massive fight erupts around village. It is defended by btr 60 apcs, a bmp1, recoiless rifles, a zu23 (I think never could figure out what the heck was going on over there) and a metic ton of infantry. The superior night fighting devices on the BMP 1 allow it to slaughter an insane amount of blind Unita infantry. The supporting Ratel 90's never see it. CO had placed is arty spotter with seconary attacking force in a location with good LOS to village. After what seems forever the arty starts in full force. That pesky BMP1 takes a direct hit from SADF G5 battery and finally clears out the center of village of infantry.

When all was lost the remaining forces of Angola/Cuba attempt to flee. This btr60 thought going down this road was a good idea......right into the secondary attacking force.

The next to blind at night ratels finally detected him at around 100 meters off and engaged with 20 mm auto cannon fire.

Conclusion.....your old tried and true APOS tactics no not always work as well in HOOPER as they did on the Eastern Front. Some of these vehicles and see in the dark to various degrees..... Ratels beware of bmp-1 at night. He has better active intrared search lights than you...... With the BTR 60 it seem a bit of a toss up. But a hard won fight set on hard. After battle report had the defending Angola/Cuban forces slightly less than my force in over all combat power. Lucky for me it was night......their RPG's had a hard time finding there marks in the dark..... But so did my Unita units with theirs.

More later........ I hope.. time permitting. But HOOPER is coming and so far seems GOOD and refreshing to GTOS series. New wrinkles to tactics due to night fighting aids on vehicles.

Oh and the Cubans.......recon soldiers. Means cuban armor is somewhere in my Southern AO.

Last edited by FlashBurn; 03/22/13 10:20 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3755954 - 03/23/13 02:12 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
TacError Offline
TacError  Offline

Vancouver
Can't wait!

#3756012 - 03/23/13 04:49 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
happy_bday clapping

#3756044 - 03/23/13 07:32 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
whukid Offline
whukid  Offline

This is good. I smell a franken-Cold-war-gone-hot mod when it's released

Last edited by whukid; 03/23/13 07:32 AM.
#3756067 - 03/23/13 10:14 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Xaver Offline
Xaver  Offline

A little question about quick battles... tank and mech units are going to be present to select only as sections or we are going to have the option to "buy" company level units??? ooo and to deploy units on map are going to be more deploy points per square or we have the 2-3 deploy points???.

Night vision... i am curious about this, how works in game, i dont have the tank simulator (i miss the holidays special in gamersgate... maybe next banghead )

Well, maybe now are not enough models for a frankenmod but if they release Irak-Iran and Afganistan... with the add of T-62, M60, M113... maybe a good mix for at least quick battles.

Last edited by Xaver; 03/23/13 10:15 AM.
#3756175 - 03/23/13 03:06 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

can we play wehrmacht vs. cuba in quick battles? biggrin

#3756204 - 03/23/13 03:47 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: Xambrium]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Originally Posted By: Xambrium
can we play wehrmacht vs. cuba in quick battles? biggrin

YES lol. t55 VS TIGER.? rofl

Quick battles the same as always.

No I think this will be a really good dlc with a nice change up from ww2 stuff. It looks really good too. OH 3 campaings! Making it something to mess about with for a bit. And Between this and me having to leave town on a trip.......grrr nothing will be getting done on longstop project. BOOHOOO this thing just wants me to get that done even more.

#3756457 - 03/23/13 11:55 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
LOL thanks Dane.....ya B-day +1 biggrin

0700........3 Unita platoons South Africas allie) are attacked by unknown forces Northern AO.

As a light infantry force these guys are only armed with AKM, RPK, RPG-7, and various types of hand grenades. Heavy weapons only consist in these 3 platoons of 1 Diska heavy MG and an 82 mm recoiless rifle. Not a clue what these guys are getting hit with so I set a light defense on a small ridge line in the east of AO. The main defense is in a village and out skirts.

Vehicle noise is heard off in the distance... OH GREAT. Out of the fog at 0705 comes a combined force or infantry and tanks.

Mortars from a TRP set by heavy mortar spotters are called in to dump smoke in front of troops on ridge to give them a chance to bug out. Its to late the advance is fast and brutal. My heavy MG and an infantry squad are pinned by tank and APC fire. Nearly an entire squad of unita infantry call it quits.

The stupid mortars finally get smoke screen down way to late. But catches some Angola infantry in the open.

they seem to catch fire........hmmmm eek2

Of the 2 remaining infantry squads the southern manages to brake contact and bug out to the village to reinforce. The second to the North has armor on top of it to fast. A BMP blunders into its possition and dealt with.

Supporting infantry of armor cut thru this squad but 4 hold out a little longer... There RPG gunner is down...But they still have RKG-3 anti armor hand grenades.

They manage to damage a t55 and a btr 60 that got to close...

They manage to damage a t55 and a btr 60 that got to close...

Fighting goes hand to hand......er foot. These are CUBAN tanks I find out and not Angola's.

My only hope to fall back to village and hope my heavy mortar spotters and my 1 82mm recoiless rifle can somehow beat off this armor. Not looking so good. Starting to consider retreating. But still do not have picture of forces I am up against. So far 1 bmp1 killed, 1 btr60 out of action, and mobility kill of a t55. I know only of 1 active t55 out there and infantry of course. So I wait to spring ambush at the village.

Infantry probe forward towards vilalge....not concerned as I have my unita guys in decent locations to deal with it....and my heavy mortar spotter which I get into action. A t55 takes the fast route.......into my 82mm recoiless rifle.

Perfect flanking shot on t55....he is toast.

The fog burns off and I start getting more spotting reports...this is REAL bad situation. Hit the cease fire thing just in case... ya right they are kicking my can.

I got alot of light armor all over the dang place from 3 directions and enemy infantry all over the place. My infantry are getting hammered bad. Its clear there is no chance of victory as the last of the fog burns off into the morning. The town is lost as Angola and Cubans are all over the out skirts..

AND THEN.............they except my cease fire.......and what!

MINOR VICTORY........ok I lost all OBJ's. But did inflict decent amount of damamge on them despite being VASTLY out numbered. My 3 platoons of unita infantry are down to maybe 30 percent streangth.

and some after action screens biggrin

eek2

ok 1 more fight for today next.......i got 1 platoon of South africian olifphants in action so far......hmmmmm HAVE TO SEEE>>>> muhhahaha.. ya this is good.

ok with oliphants, ratel 90's and ratel 20's all massed was not even a fight this last one i DID. Heres a few screen shots LOL>

Last edited by FlashBurn; 03/24/13 01:11 AM.
#3758394 - 03/27/13 04:42 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Flash..you should do an AAR and out it in the AAR thread in the general Sim HQ forum.

Also I wished you a happy birthday the other day over at matrix forum..you must have missed it.

Just noticed 1400 odd enemy..thats one big battle.

Last edited by Wodin; 03/27/13 04:45 PM.
#3760241 - 03/31/13 08:18 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: Wodin]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
Wodin.........ya you are right. Ill throw post in the AAR tent. After I fire up another battle deal. LOL.

#3760369 - 03/31/13 03:46 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Xaver Offline
Xaver  Offline

Cant wait to read the AAR, i am going to buy the DLC the question is wait or no to a 50% offer (i have other DLC for a game on the list) ... is hard do it because i see an image (the one to show the bug with heli rockets) and look like is possible select in quick battles the original APOS sides to fight the new ones.... Tiger meets T-55 LOL!!! correct me if i am wrong mycomputer

#3761716 - 04/03/13 03:38 AM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
I badly messed up my South Africian campaign. Well actually played out more or less like history.. Was to timid and with only 6 turns was fatal error. That and I placed my resupply by choppers to late to do much good. So not gonna finsh the 6th turn as it is historically right more or less but I wanted to take my OBJECTIVES like South Africa did not. That I think will be hard set to hard..... A mess of uncommitted t55 popped up counter attacking me on turn 6. My oliphants where low on ammo and many damaged missing a crewman or two. My milan anti tank missle guys where out of ammo. half my dang ratels where out of fuel or about to be out of fuel.... Now to play the long 15 turn campaign. biggrin I guess I could finish the 6th turn......but eh.... I know how its gonna play out.....I think anyways. biggrin

I just wish a few more vehicles where present in game. I SO wish T34-85 was in game as well as btr152 and more anti air stuff....with blow upable aircraft. More light vehicles that do something would also be nice. Land rovers and UAZ types would be massivly welcome. Maybe the next Afgan DLC will have? I can hope. But overall this thing is :D:D:D:D:D

Apart from a total screw up in northern area......my South Africa guys did not take to bad looses. Like history. My Unita guys did NOT fair anywhere near as well. I ended up loosing no oliphant tanks, but half took bad damages and mild crew looses of killed or badly wounded. Campaign seems to resonably well reproduce histoical battle....of course the player can mess that up or improve upon it at will. biggrin

Last edited by FlashBurn; 04/03/13 03:55 AM.
#3764550 - 04/08/13 04:13 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
I played this campaign yesterday.My SADF forces took a real beating from a Cuban AT gun platoon that destroyed most of the vehicles in my SADF mech. company.My Oliphants didn't fair too well either though they did wipe out a FAPLA mech. company and destroy 5 T-55s while losing 1 themselves and most becomming immobilized.My UNITA forces did much better,even had 1 company take on a T-55 company and destroy 2 of the T-55s but the price was steep costing the UNITA company 50% casualties before the FAPLA tank company retreated.

I think I should have let my UNITA flank assaults gather more momentum before launching the SADF attacks in the center,it also didn't help matters that I didn't have my support units in place before launching the SADF attacks either.I'll know better next time.

I would also like to see the T-34/85,the Buffel and the PT-76 in this game also.

Here is a decent order of battle and TOE site for the units that participated in these operations plus operation Modular also.The site doesn't claim exact historical amounts for these units during the operations mostly authorised strength,but still it's one of the best sites I could find about these unit make ups.
http://www.warinangola.com/Default.aspx?tabid=671

#3764595 - 04/08/13 05:07 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
andrey12345 Offline
andrey12345  Offline

Most needed models is BTR-152, Caspir, Ratel-60, 60 mm infantry mortar and may be Buffel.

#3764608 - 04/08/13 05:21 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: FlashBurn]  
Dane49 Offline
Dane49  Offline

Riverview,Florida
Those would be very nice additions also. beercheers

#3764645 - 04/08/13 06:31 PM Re: GTOS (APOS) Operation Hooper DLC sneak peak [Re: andrey12345]  
Thomasew Offline
Thomasew  Offline

South Africa
Originally Posted By: andrey12345
Most needed models is BTR-152, Caspir, Ratel-60, 60 mm infantry mortar and may be Buffel.

Yes .. Puleez .. tanksalot

Cheers
Tom

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.