Hop To
#3736503 - 02/16/13 02:23 PM Scary commercial airline final approach  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Nope not a vid, just a story from an eyewitness, me. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing.

A couple of days ago I flew to my Mom's in FL via Atlanta. In fact got a great view of the cruise ship from hell being towed into Mobile Bay. Flight to ATL was nice, and quick as we had some free supercruise courtesy of the Jetstream. B757, nice bird.

Next bird is not my favorite, I think they are calling it a MD 900 nowadays, still a DC-9 to me. Just about 1.5 hr flight to central FL, been checking my phone, looking at radar. Still kinda crappy as a frontal system moves through, but mostly all green, just a few tiny yellow spots on the color radar sites I look at.

I learned to fly back in the seventies at the airport we at flying into, know it's layout as well as I know as I my neighborhood I live in. Still have a pretty good Idea of the Outer marker location also.

Pretty bumpy during the descent but no big deal, am looking out the window for landmarks. Kinda tough at night and I am not that familiar with the view at night there as I once was. BUT, we are pretty darn low IMO.

The turn onto final is a little strange, more like a series of small turns back and forth. Then I figure we are at the Outer Marker.

BIG power increase, not gradual but full power NOW! Couple that with a BIG up angle of attack change and I am getting a little nervous. Up angle is more than the take off from Atlanta! Full power stays on for way over 30 seconds, closer to a minute I think.

We landed fine, pretty hard but fine.

So you experts, how far behind the power curve and below the glide path were we? It seemed to my semi-educated self that we hit the Outer Marker and somebody realized they were way below the glideslope.

I have never been on a commercial flight that seemed so low in it's final approach.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3736504 - 02/16/13 02:31 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I'm no pilot, but seems to me someone screwed up.
Probably pretty common, unless they actually hit the tree tops.....then it'd be hard to cover up.
Wonder why he wasn't listening to the tower, telling him to pull up, his glide path was wrong?

Glad you made it Nix biggrin

All is well, just another close call for a guy who has survived many wink

"Murphy's Law"
#3736524 - 02/16/13 03:49 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Murphy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I think they were still in contact with approach/Center at that time. Been awhile....

I mean they have Radar and encoding altimeters, very low traffic area. I just don't know.

I always make it a habit of saying something nice to the flightdeck when disembarking. All I said this time was "Are you guys done for the night?" They looked a little perplexed and replied in the affirmative. I said that was good as it seemed pretty crappy out there.

Dunno what happened, but seemed more than a little "below nominal" to me.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3736529 - 02/16/13 04:12 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Any landing you walk away from, is a good one..... wink

So they say.

"Murphy's Law"
#3736560 - 02/16/13 05:27 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
ripper998 Offline
ripper998  Offline

San Antonio, Tx
I hate those landings where you know something is way out of whack. Happened once flying back into san antonio one night. Came from an odd direction and they made a last minute tight turn to final. Didnt help that it was turbulent and it seem like they were having a tough time keeping it level. Hard landing too, could smell something burning as they came in way too fast it felt like.

#3736565 - 02/16/13 05:32 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Murphy]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: Murphy
Any landing you walk away from, is a good one..... wink

So they say.

Even more true for paratroopers. biggrin

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3736623 - 02/16/13 08:26 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Might have been a microburst and/or windsheer if there was weather around.

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#3736634 - 02/16/13 08:54 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

If they were too far under the glide-slope, I'm pretty sure that the procedure is to abort the landing. More likely they encountered weather.

These approaches are usually done by auto-pilot anyway, and it tends to do a pretty good job AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: Nixer
So you experts, how far behind the power curve and below the glide path were we? It seemed to my semi-educated self that we hit the Outer Marker and somebody realized they were way below the glideslope.

I have never been on a commercial flight that seemed so low in it's final approach.

--
44th VFW
#3736838 - 02/17/13 01:03 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Sounds like windshear or something similar.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3736902 - 02/17/13 04:06 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
I had a somewhat similar experience back in the '90s. I was flying into Sacramento, Ca. Nice clear day, no weather, but we nearly set down short of the runway. The last twenty or so seconds the engines were screaming and the nose was high. Tires hit the first hundred feet or so of pavement. It was my first commercial flying experience and I was NOT impressed.

Glad you made it okay.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#3736916 - 02/17/13 04:47 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Ground proximity alerts in the cockpit were more then likely giving the pilots heart attacks about that time.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3736933 - 02/17/13 05:17 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Legend Offline
Legsie is such a
Legend  Offline
Legsie is such a
Hotshot

Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
I've experienced three go-arounds so far in my life and I'm really not a very frequent flyer - maybe take 8-10 flights per year. There could be many reasons of course (from a non-pilot perspective) - for example, if the plane you were flying in was behind an other plane and making curves to slow down giving the other plane time to land and vacate the runway, but the first plane landing was a bit later than planned your plane would have to go around.

Not everything is a potential disaster.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
#3737044 - 02/17/13 08:57 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

My only guess is it was windshear as previous guessed by other posters.

It will account for the following,

1) weaving - trying to pick their way through the localised cells.
2) sustained full power for more than a moment coupled with a severe pitch up.

Windshear is never a pretty occurance especially close to the gound so whatever it was or whatever happened, it looks like the pilots deemed it safe to continue.

Glad its just a talking point and nothing more serious.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3737450 - 02/18/13 03:40 PM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Local weather was likely playing havoc with both your approach and the one of the plane landing ahead of you. S-turns are the common way to increase your time to a destination without lowering your speed (which in final approach is likely not possible!), and at the end of a flight the majority of the fuel has burned off, giving the airliner excess power on landing compared to takeoff, so those engines can easily get you back up if you've fallen below the power curve briefly.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3737829 - 02/19/13 02:32 AM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Jedi Master]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yeah...the traffic at my one commercial flight every 5 hours or so airport made the pilot weave for spacing...don't think so.

Microburst/windshear is a possibility, however, my personal experiences with those bad altitude changing weather types have only been experienced around strong cells and there were not any around in FL that night. Lots of rain, not much turbulence.

We were low at the outer marker, WAY low. Like I said I learned to fly at that airport and grew up in the area. Just was wondering how we ended up so low over 10 NM from the runway.

I personally feel that somebody up front almost screwed up real bad.

I just threw this out looking for a plausible explanation. Still considering reporting it to the airline's Chief Pilot.

Almost a minute of max power and a very high angle of attack about 2 minutes from touchdown in a large jet aircraft full of people in a very low traffic area sure smells like pilot error to me.

Maybe there is a new trick about flying under bad weather I don't know about... sigh

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3737877 - 02/19/13 05:06 AM Re: Scary commercial airline final approach [Re: Nixer]  
Lone Star Ace Offline
Simulated Ace
Lone Star Ace  Offline
Simulated Ace

Spring, TX
Had a similar experience flying into Hobby from LAX on Southwest in a 737 in the middle of a hellacious thunderstorm back in 2001.
Lightning everywhere, driving rain and light hail pecking at the windows, plane rocking around all over with engine screaming and flaps being adjusted off and on until we got to the final approach. Landed like a sack of turds in a driving rain. They wouldn't let us taxi to the ramp for over 45 minutes as there was mucho lightning strikes all around so we just sat out on the taxiway and eventually it let up and I thanked the lord for letting me breathe another day.
Not fun but all part of flying in bad weather.

Last edited by Lone Star Ace; 02/19/13 05:08 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.