Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3727512 - 01/30/13 04:34 AM Tao FastGrenade public beta (0.9beta2 update, recommended)  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
I am releasing a public beta of my FastGrenade addon so that the community at large can test and experiment with it. This version has been beta-tested both locally and online (on SimHQ's dedicated server) for many weeks. I hope all major bugs have been shaken out.

Please report any issues here so that I may address them before the 1.0 version is released together with ONE. At that time, I will also make this addon generally available, i.e., though Armaholic and the BIS forums. At that time I will also have videos, etc. ready.

Old video that totally doesn't represent the current version:

What is FastGrenade?
FastGrenade is an addon for ArmA 2 which allows players to employ grenades more precisely, efficiently, and realistically than before, especially in urban combat. It changes grenades from an unpredictable teamkill weapon to a lethal addition to the player’s toolkit. It adds the ability to cook grenades, throw them underhand or overhand, and employ them quickly without a length period of cycling weapons. It also allows players to pick up and throw grenades that are already armed.

FastGrenade requires the ACE addon for ArmA 2.

Download:
Tao FastGrenade 0.9beta2

A user guide is included with the download.

Note for server admins:
FastGrenade should be installed on both the server and clients for full compatibility with AI-thrown grenades and to avoid warnings. If you're interested in using this with your community, (you're welcome to and) please get in touch with me!

Acknowledgments:
Based on Dslyecxi's concept video and some of my discussions with him, as well as the input of the SimHQ ArmA community.

itsabeta biggrin

This has been a massive project for me, so I look forward to your feedback, suggestions, and ideas.

Last edited by Taosenai; 02/23/13 04:52 AM. Reason: 0.9beta2

Taosenai, TMR Modular Realism Developer
"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3727525 - 01/30/13 05:14 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
KlarSnow Offline
KlarSnow  Offline

NAS Pensacol, Fl
Just got it set up and played with it for a few minutes... WOW!!!!!

#3727970 - 01/31/13 01:31 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
I've seen some of my beta testers using this on the SimHQ server during MM/SS sessions (because it shows an error to everyone who isn't running it when you do).

My question is, did it work fine, i.e., were grenades thrown correctly? Just curious how client-side-only breaks down.

"It is necessary to develop a strategy that utilizes all the physical conditions and elements that are directly at hand. The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses."
-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3727995 - 01/31/13 02:14 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
It wasn't I, I use separate shortcuts.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3729151 - 02/01/13 11:27 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Who's the culprit?

I know it's you, Meatshield.

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3729152 - 02/01/13 11:28 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
not me i disabled it!

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3729581 - 02/02/13 10:11 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
It was me biggrin It worked fine in one map last week but when I tried it again nothing happened.

#3729754 - 02/03/13 07:20 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
It has been running on and off on the server, which would explain that.

I may have identified an issue when players use the normal 'Throw' weapon to throw grenades while FastGrenade is active. Gonna look into it.

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3729831 - 02/03/13 01:07 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Tyco Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker
Tyco  Offline
ArmA3 Mission Maker

Westerly
Ya. I think one of the debug scripts happened when I went to throw it normally. Dont quote me on that though.

#3733302 - 02/10/13 02:55 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
- Identified and resolved an issue that caused some visual de-sync when a grenade was thrown the normal way by a player or an AI.
- Fixed animation state when player boards a vehicle while holding a grenade.
- Still haven't fixed ability to pick up AI/'Throw' thrown grenades on a dedicated server. Something doesn't behave according to the documentation, because it works perfectly on an in-game MP server. Gonna keep trying to solve but the first release may simply not support it. You'll never pick up an AI grenade anyway. The angle they throw at means the grenades land with about 0.5 sec left on the fuse.

Known issues (will not fix):
- If player is attachTo'd to something and throws a grenade using FastGrenade, sometimes the grenade will blow up in their face due to unexpected collisions. Scripters should set the appropriate variable to true (included in next version README) when the FastGrenade system should be blocked from working, such as when using attachTo (though sometimes it'll work fine, depends on the collision LOD).
- Severe script or local processing lag can potentially cause the grenade to get caught in your body/hands when you throw it. Can't fix this (I don't think) because there's no way for me to control the ArmA engine's scheduling of commands. Sometimes it will schedule a nice long delay between detach and setVelocity, and I just can't do much about it. Very rare, and signifies a larger problem with the script/system load of the mission IMO.

Last edited by Taosenai; 02/10/13 06:43 AM.

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3733879 - 02/11/13 06:46 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Next version disables cooking in order to get more consistent grenade throwing behavior under heavy script load. This should prevent incidents like on Sunday, where a grenade exploded in my face due to it being stuck in my hand, cooking. Heh. I will consider re-adding this if I can come up with a suitable control scheme that will avoid this issue.

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3736178 - 02/15/13 08:28 PM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
Expecting to make a release soon, just gotta finish the docs. I'm happy with the current state of things in the code.

Things disabled for now: cooking, picking up AI-thrown grenades. I can't resolve these issues satisfactorily for now, and frankly I want to get a version of this out so people can enjoy it.

This'll be expected for use on the server. If you don't have it installed you'll get the "FastGrenadeRifle missing" error and other people's grenades will be nonexistent (the explosion still will occur though), so it's going to be considered 'Required.'

And also it's really quite useful so I think you'll want it anyway!

P.S. If there is a version included in your download of ONE, delete it. That version has a dangerous bug that can cause a grenade to stick to your hand if you don't click twice when throwing under heavy script lag. Wasn't meant to be released.

Last edited by Taosenai; 02/15/13 08:31 PM.

-- Ueshiba Morihei
#3740321 - 02/23/13 05:01 AM Re: Tao FastGrenade public beta release [Re: Taosenai]  
Taosenai Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker
Taosenai  Offline
Arma 3 Stuff Maker

U.S.A.
I have released a new beta, @tao_fastgrenade-0.9beta2.zip.

I hope this will be the last beta. TBH I'm tired of working on this thing, it's grown way out of control due to some ArmA limitations and bugs. It's very usable in this current state and there are no bugs with throwing or selecting grenades (he says, optimistically). Bugs may still exist with grabbing live grenades -- not sure, it's hard to test in a 'fake' environment.

Changes:
- Disable cooking system due to issue with mouseButtonDown and mouseButtonUp not always being processed quickly enough by the scripting system. Will re-enable as soon as a decent control scheme is possible (i.e., mouse button passthrough bug is fixed by BIS).
- Disable ability to pick up grenades thrown by AI or with the 'Throw' weapon. I am having way too much trouble getting this to work in a predictable way, because of the netcode implementation I am using for smooth flying grenades in multiplayer, which isn't otherwise supported by the engine. You'll never pick up an AI grenade and not die anyway, because of the angle at which they throw them -- they land with a max of 1-2 secs on the timer. I tried many times...

That's right, features lost. *sunglasses on* Deal with it~

In any case, I am approving this version for general use by players on the SimHQ server. That's right, this version is totally clientside-only, though people without it installed will see an error and won't be able to see your grenades until they blow up. We'll get it loaded on the server after some live play with it.

-- Ueshiba Morihei

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.