Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3717661 - 01/14/13 04:44 PM Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers)  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Aaaaargh!

If there's one thing I really dislike about this otherwise great game, it's the boss-style 'mission' levels that you get every so often.

I don't really mind the 'take-down' ones which you have to do with a knife - they annoyed me to start off with, but now I'm a lot more sly with my blade, I don't mind them.

It's ones where you have to smash your keyboard to bits - like when Voss pushes you into the water and you have to free yourself from the ropes by persistantly 'mash'ing your spacebar. Or the knife fight with Buck. There are others - but what is this? That sort of thing is for kids/console junkies and this is an 18 rated PC game!

The latest one is really piddling me off something chronic. It's the Ink Monster thingy, in the temple. I met Crista (or whatever her name is) and drank the posion stuff, then I have to kill the big demon monster thing with a bow & arrow. The main issue here was that I wasn't expecting it, and once you get started on it, the game won't let you do anything else. So I only have one med syringe and one endorphine syringe.

I can 'repair' myself without med kits etc, but it takes too long and death is a certainty.

At first I just got killed either before I could do for the monster, or whilst trying to treat my wounds during the warrior assault that comes after it.

Now I 'kill' the monster every time by giving myself the endorphine (double health bars) first. I then have to use the med syringe during the attack, but it's quick and no issue.

I even got through the warriors pretty much injury-free. Then last time, the phantom monster came up yet again (eh??!!!) I managed to finally do for the little sod, and blow me - just as I'm cheering to myself, the bar steward falls right on top of me in his death throws and I get squashed!

Then I find the damn thing goes straight back to the start, where I've just drunk the poison! Are you frikkin KIDDING ME??? banghead banghead

So I'm now off to look round the 'net for a 'god mode' cheat, to get past this stupid piece of drivel that is ruining my fun.

Sod 'em! neaner

I say it as I see it
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3717674 - 01/14/13 05:06 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I think you've reached the point where you realise what had the potential to be a great game...

...isn't.

#3717678 - 01/14/13 05:07 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
I definitely agree, that thing was a 2 day buzzkill on my 1st FC3 playthru, I'm hoping a mod that removes it gets released somewhere along the line

"Burn them all."
--------------
Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3717685 - 01/14/13 05:12 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
your high... it's not really happening, your just frickin out man.... breath... breath.... breath.... BAAAAAAA!

#3717696 - 01/14/13 05:34 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I don't remember having too much trouble with that one. Did you turn down the difficulty? Seems like just moving side to side was all that was necessary, hit him in the eyes and he goes down quickly.
The one that annoyed me was another trippy type episode where you're trying to kill someone. They keep running at you while you try to get down a pathway. If you try to kill them all, you simply don't have the ammo or can't reload fast enough. In the end, it meant making a run for it and gunning as you go. I hated that. It's also ridiculous! Why they did these hallucination things instead of just a good fight is annoying.
It's a great game, but they should've had a more mature storyline like FC2.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3717715 - 01/14/13 06:12 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Well, after quite a bit of looking through loads of obvious rubbish on websites (where to find relics etc etc) I finally found a great way to implement God Mode and quite a few other things. Best thing is the ability to switch it on or off before each session, either by editing the GamerProfile.xml or using a shortcut command line parameter.

I hate cheating in games - but in some, like this, it's just a necessary evil sometimes to stop me getting fed up.

Once I'm past the ink monster, I'll switch the God Mode back off. Don't wanna spoil it smile

I say it as I see it
#3717717 - 01/14/13 06:19 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Originally Posted By: JonnyD
- just as I'm cheering to myself, the bar steward falls right on top of me in his death throws and I get squashed!

Had to laugh! biggrin

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3717734 - 01/14/13 06:57 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Snake_Pliskinn Offline
Snake_Pliskinn  Offline

Enterprise, AL
Yeah, that entire 'giant' sequence was annoying. Some of the tower jumps are also annoying.

#3717815 - 01/14/13 08:39 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I got so mad at this mission, I think it's called Fly South or some such, you have to protect a pilot who is trying to prepare his plane for flight so you can take off with him. Anyway, I got so mad that I started a whole new game at a lower difficulty setting.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3717826 - 01/14/13 08:57 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I think you can change settings on the fly letterboy.

#3717842 - 01/14/13 09:14 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
I finished it the other day and it definitely ran out of steam, like they had no more ideas and the second island was so boring and no lovely jungles like the first. Like most games now they disappoint me, just glad I kept hold of my flight sim stuff as they are the only things that give value for money.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3717898 - 01/14/13 10:26 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
TBH that's why I spend so much time just wandering around, wasting bad guys and collecting stuff - I don't want to be disappointed by the next 'twist' in the plot and all the FMV and fixed linear situation rubbish.

I read on a site about that bit you mentioned, Mace - apparently when you fall from the plane, instead of getting on with the mission you can go and do whatever you like as there are no enemies on the whole island until you complete the mission.
Haven't got that far myself - but the God Mode did work and I used it to kill the Ink Monster and then switched it off.

I was hoping to get all the hunter quests done so that I could craft the top goodies, but after two or three the source dried up, so I guess I'll have to wait until I come across the next one.

I used to be rubbish at taking down the enemy camps, but now I find it really easy. Mostly I find a spot overlooking the camp and with a bit of cover and just start shooting. They seem to group together when they come for me, so the grenades make mincemeat of them or if they are on grass I just hurl some molotovs and it's "frying tonight!" (my fave Carry On film, that biggrin ).

When there are only one or two left I go and hunt them. Always have the same kit - the F1 bullpup, AMR, that special shotgun whatever it's called, and the fancy LMG. That LMG is great for ambushing jeeps.

All good fun, and much better than doing the main mission, imo.

I'm surprised they didn't find a use for these, though:

and try getting your jeep more stuck than this:

talk about 'between a rock and a hard place...' hahaha

I say it as I see it
#3717917 - 01/14/13 10:49 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Clearing bases is more fun if you scope it out, go in to take out the alarm by hand (turns off the entire system), and use the knife and thrown rocks to take them out quietly one at a time.

I hope they add some good dlc and options to give the game life again. It doesn't seem as replayable as FC 2 for some reason.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3717931 - 01/14/13 11:03 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
I think you can change settings on the fly letterboy.

Heh heh, I began to suspect that from this thread. biggrin

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3717939 - 01/14/13 11:15 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
I had some great time while taking out the mercenary outpost on the second island. I did the whole thing with the knife and rocks alone (to lure the enemies into ambushes). Also mining the road nearby is a good idea if you trigger reinforcements during attack wink . There were 9+ mercenaries at the camp, all taken care off silently without anyone taking notice. Each one was taken out pretty much differently - with dragging to a bush so noone sees the body, death from below/above, the last three guys - two standing close chating the third one in the distance - taken the first two out with chain kills and the third one with a thrown knife - truly cinematic. Got 1500XP points for not alerting enyone + 2x500XP for making a takedown on a two Heavies (you have to unlock the skill where you can takedown Heavy with knife) + several more XP for other takedowns. Great experience, really makes you feel like a bad-ass while not making it scripted like in Call of Duty games.

#3718325 - 01/15/13 04:38 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Yes, that's the really great thing about this game. I hope other developers take note. You can do it whichever way you like.

I take them out with a knife when I have to (the death by knife contracts) but I like big bangs and lotsa blasting off with my master-blaster (ooooh! whoohoo ) but we all have the choice - which way we want to do it. Great stuff.

That's why I didn't stop playing STALKER for about 18 months after it was released. yeah, there was a mission to do, but in between you could just drift around having fun for as long as you liked.

I say it as I see it
#3718379 - 01/15/13 05:56 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: letterboy1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
I got so mad at this mission, I think it's called Fly South or some such, you have to protect a pilot who is trying to prepare his plane for flight so you can take off with him. Anyway, I got so mad that I started a whole new game at a lower difficulty setting.

This is easy, just plant some mines and satchel charges in back and right pathways. An by prepared for the South Island. smile

Sokol1

#3719695 - 01/17/13 04:38 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
I just did that one today. I had to start half way through again because he died when there was just one single enemy left! I thought that was a fix - but I suppose not, then.

I lobbed grenades and used the mounted HMG - both the buildings blew up, taking out a lots of bad guys with them. I did think it was another daft, over-done arcade scene, though.

I just got through the dock and onto the ship to take the rookie's place. That was mind-bogglingly crap, too. I had to restart twice, and as it CTD'd on me after I'd killed him, I'm going to have to do it all again, later.

I hope that once the mission stuff is finished I'll be left to go around and finish off the rest of the stuff (relics, memory cards, pirate bases etc).

I say it as I see it
#3719697 - 01/17/13 04:45 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
That was pretty easy I thought. I just stayed on the mounted MG and the enemies came from the left, middle then right then finally the left again.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3723393 - 01/23/13 04:32 PM Re: Who's afraid of the big bad Ink Monster? (FarCry3 spoilers) [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Okay, finished it just now. Pretty rubbish ending - I chose the left-click at the end, but would have liked to have tried both.

Guess I'll have to do it all again sometime in the future, just to see how the other way goes.

For now I'm content to finish gathering the bits and pieces around the place. Already have all the towers, camps, skills and memory cards. Just one more quest to do and the letters and so-on to collect.

I suppose it has given me quite a few hours of entertainment (with one or two crap bits) so I would say overall it was worth it smile

I don't know what the furore about the so-called 'sex scenes' was, though. Very mild and non-explicit, not to mention only a couple of second's worth. Not worth mentioning, really - it's an 18 game. I personally found the needless slaughtering of animals more disconcerting than anything else. But it is a game, so wth?

I say it as I see it

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.