Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3716125 - 01/11/13 08:39 PM Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C?  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

I know how to set the FOV to the SPI, slave to steerpoint, et al, but is there a way to just center the Maverick seeker head in the A-10C? I had the Maverick slaved to the steerpoint, which was too offset from the enemy column, and it would have been a lot easier to center the seeker and manually slew.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3716126 - 01/11/13 08:41 PM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Long Aft China hat...

If memory doesn't fail me.

Memory failed me :P

Last edited by komemiute; 01/11/13 08:43 PM.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3716127 - 01/11/13 08:44 PM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

That actually slaves the TGP to the steerpoint, and the short China aft is missile step.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3716150 - 01/11/13 09:25 PM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: komemiute]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: komemiute

Memory failed me :P

You were close. China Aft short with TGP as SOI boresights the TGP.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3716174 - 01/11/13 10:05 PM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Darn Homefries, THAT'S IT!

Hehehe someone get this man a Cigar! biggrin

Good one wink
You won the dubious honour to have me as Wingman! :O

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3716293 - 01/12/13 02:06 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

A china hat aft resets Maverick displacement from its home (bore) position. A china hat aft if in bore position rejects that missile and the next Maverick in priority is selected. If for example you had a ground stabilize Maverick and wanted you reject it, you'd have to CHA once to reset the slew to bore and another CHA to reject. This can help if you want to maintain balance with LAU-88 operation.

There are also some not oft-used adjustments relating to boresight and Mavericks. One is to calibrate the Maverick seeker vector to its HUD symbology. The other is to change the home position of the boresight.

#3716911 - 01/13/13 03:24 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Thanks, Frederf.

I played around last night and "accidentally" did CHA and saw the missile boresight. I checked my reference that it was a missile step and figured that if the next missile was already boresighted...

I didn't test it with one missile left, though. So CHA is more context sensitive than the manual "cheat sheet" indicates? Nice.

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3716949 - 01/13/13 05:51 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I never checked before but this missile step isn't in the DCS manual at all. I think it is correct to call it a missile step because it should cycle back around to the original. I don't remember if it steps through missiles or stations. The AIM-9 works like a true reject. If you have 2 AIM-9 and reject them both you'll have the gun funnel only and no missile selected.

I also never got more than one Mav uncaged at one time. I'll have to play with that.

P.S. The manual suggests deselecting and re-selecting the Maverick profile if you have 4 Mavericks on board and don't want to fire both on one side before both on the other.

#3716974 - 01/13/13 09:02 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Interesting stuff.

I looked at the manual again. In the Combat section of the manual (p.571) it describes the CHA as boresighting the missile. However, the HOTAS reference on page 92 indicates that it is missile step.

Now another question: p.87 indicates that the DMS short adjusts the reticle in MAV mode. I don't know what that means; I couldn't get it to slew using DMS, and I didn't see any fine tuning. Any ideas?

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

#3717435 - 01/14/13 04:51 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I have a post in detail about this somewhere. These DMS hat motions are very small calibration adjustments to align the true Maverick LOS with jet's understanding of the Maverick LOS. The procedure is a little obscure and rarely used since the simulator is always in perfect calibration.

---

Can't find it so here goes, manual procedure:
Boresight Symbol to Maverick Line of Sight
To further refine the boresight you can:
1. Set MAV page as SOI
2. Lock an air or ground target with the Maverick
3. Press OSB 6 on the MAV page and ADJ OFF to change to ADJ ON.
4. Move the Maverick symbol by pressing the DMS switch Up, Down, Left, and Right until it is
over the target
5. Press the ENT button on the UFC

From the 1.09 patch notes:
Reticle slew commands in MAV ADJ mode are applied now only if maverick is SPI.
^ This is wrong. The Mav doesn't have to generate SPI. Maybe they meant to type SOI.

Anyway, it's pretty simple. Maverick like it's going to be fired, all locked and ready to go, then ADJ ON, DMS taps to calibrate the wheel to the seeker LOS, then UFC ENT to accept.

The "set default boresight location" requires Mav in sensor mode, lock (centroid or F/C), then cycle boat to center till BORESIGHT ADJUST shows up. When you're happy with the look angle, TMS up to save it. You'll see a black background show up on acceptance. It's supposed to be reverse video (green text, black background changes to black text, green background) but ED boned it in some patch.

Last edited by Frederf; 01/14/13 05:22 AM.
#3717479 - 01/14/13 06:48 AM Re: Is it possible to boresight the AGM-65 in A-10C? [Re: HomeFries]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Roger, so I'll probably never use it. Good to know that I don't need to know it. biggrin

-Home Fries

- Robert A. Heinlein

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.