Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3712921 - 01/06/13 12:57 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

I seem to remember living overseas that they would turn the fork over when they stab the food then eat. I've always used the top down method lol.

I also use the fork with my right hand and cut with left at all times. Never did get the switching hands thing.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3712928 - 01/06/13 01:37 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
nockmeister Offline
nockmeister  Offline

Manchester UK
The only time I'd use a fork in the right hand is when eating a bowl of chilli or a curry...If there is a knife and fork I would never dream of crossing them over.

So you Americans cut with your left hand?? Stabbing with your left, cutting with your right seems far easier to a right handed person
If the issue is with food that rolls around the plate, that's what mashed/creamed potatoes are for. wink

PS tip the bowl away from you when eating soup...LMAO

#3712930 - 01/06/13 01:45 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: JAMF]  
Ibex Offline
Ibex  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: JAMF
smile

In a restaurant, when you're done, place knife and fork crossed on the plate. The waiters then know it can be taken away.

I think it's more important to NOT place them crossed, when you're only pausing or having a chat with a neighbour. smile

This is interesting, here in Finland it is the other way around, ie. when taking a short break (e.g. while drinking something, going to the bathroom or if ones is planning to take a second round) you cross the knife and fork, and when done they are placed paralell in the 5 o'clock position.

#3712933 - 01/06/13 02:01 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Sim]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Sim
Does it matter?

To degree, yes.

As my father used to say, "You don't have to use good table manners, but you have to know how to use good table manners."

Then again, I not only permit, but encourage my kids to lift up the plate up to their mouth - as I do -and shovel in the last bits of food on the plate because I think wasting food is a sin.(And the look of horror and disgust on my wife's face when we do it is just the icing on the cake.) smile

Question everything!
#3712937 - 01/06/13 02:11 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
As long as he doesn't go face down into the plate and start chowing away I'm sure he'll be fine. I can never get around people in Pizza Hut or other sit down to eat pizza places using knife and fork to eat pizza! I always use my fingers and love the looks I get biggrin

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3712941 - 01/06/13 02:15 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
This thread has been quite enlightening and funny. And yes, I'm a lefty so I'm one of those eaters who switches the fork and knife since I don't have much dexterity when I try to cut with my right hand.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3712966 - 01/06/13 03:02 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Ibex]  
gnite Offline
gnite  Offline

Poland
Originally Posted By: Ibex

This is interesting, here in Finland it is the other way around, ie. when taking a short break (e.g. while drinking something, going to the bathroom or if ones is planning to take a second round) you cross the knife and fork, and when done they are placed paralell in the 5 o'clock position.

It's the same here in Poland. But they usually ask before taking the plate away if not empty, so no one should steal it from under your nose if done the wrong way.

#3712994 - 01/06/13 04:00 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Quote:
Then again, I not only permit, but encourage my kids to lift up the plate up to their mouth - as I do -and shovel in the last bits of food on the plate because I think wasting food is a sin.(And the look of horror and disgust on my wife's face when we do it is just the icing on the cake.)

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3713002 - 01/06/13 04:24 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: NH2112]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: NH2112

Damn straight, baby. And don't leave a crumb for the dishwasher. cheers

Question everything!
#3713039 - 01/06/13 05:59 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Ibex]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Ibex
smile

In a restaurant, when you're done, place knife and fork crossed on the plate. The waiters then know it can be taken away.

I think it's more important to NOT place them crossed, when you're only pausing or having a chat with a neighbour. smile

It is the same in Belgium JAMF, but in UK the knife and fork are laid paralell at 6 o'clock to indicate you are finished. Also you don't fold your napkin after using it, but you do lay it neatly to the right, beside your place setting.

My family broght me up with proper etiquette but it was still an eye opener when invited to a formal dinner in an officers mess, there was enough cutlery at one place setting to provide for the whole family smile

My wife here is amazed at the range of knifes, forks and spoons I have for setting the table, here in Belgium it is really not formal at all and nobody cares what you use, which with my upbringing does make me feel uncomfortable at times, even after almost 8 years.

An indication as to what the "tools" are for...

http://etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table_setting.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Formal_Place_Setting.jpg

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3713048 - 01/06/13 06:24 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Well, I'm always beyond myself, when the cork is allowed off the fork. biggrin

#3713079 - 01/06/13 07:06 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Cold_Flying]  
Fnord Offline
Fnord  Offline

Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Cold_Flying
[quote=Sim]
Then again, I not only permit, but encourage my kids to lift up the plate up to their mouth - as I do -and shovel in the last bits of food on the plate because I think wasting food is a sin.(And the look of horror and disgust on my wife's face when we do it is just the icing on the cake.) smile

The impression I got from eating with my Polish friends was that you should clean the plate, preferably fill it again, and then make sure that there is some food left in the pot (to indicate that no-one hand to go hungry).
Here in Sweden you are expected to clean your plate, and if there is food left at the end of the dinner anywhere, you are showing a lack of appreciation (though usually I prefer when there is food left, though no on peoples plates, for the same reason as for the Polish customs, plus it means that I'll have food for tomorrow).
This is quite different from how it works in Arabic countries, where there should be some food left on the plate when you are done, as otherwise you might not have been given enough food, which is a sign of poor hospitality.

#3713102 - 01/06/13 07:55 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Mackie Offline
Mackie  Offline

UK
I've been to France and Italy but didn't follow or was even aware of any intricate etiquette system for eating! Maybe they made an exception for an uncultured Brit with an indecipherable Scottish tongue.

I'd imagine that as long as your lad is polite and doesn't use the table like a trough he'll be fine.

#3713110 - 01/06/13 08:07 PM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: JAMF]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
smile

Wrong way round, ain't it? Crossed means you just have a pause, next to each other means plate is finished.

#3713221 - 01/07/13 12:34 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
The proper way to eat (Continental Style) is fork in left and knife in right, always. There is no difference as to when you have something to cut or when you do not. The fork is not a shovel, but an implement with which to convey food to your mouth. The knife is not just a cutting tool, but an implement with which to assist with placing food onto the fork properly, and without undue mess. When finished, you "fold" your knife and fork... You place the knife, blade down, through the tines on the resting fork, have both rest together, folded on the plate. This is a proper indication to servants, footmen, or restaurant wait staff, that you have either finished your meal or are ready to begin the next course. This is the way I was raised, and my parents made sure that I knew that regardless of setting, this modicum of etiquette was never to be abandoned... Not even in a Denny's.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#3713285 - 01/07/13 03:20 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Fnord]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fnord

The impression I got from eating with my Polish friends was that you should clean the plate, preferably fill it again, and then make sure that there is some food left in the pot (to indicate that no-one hand to go hungry).
Here in Sweden you are expected to clean your plate, and if there is food left at the end of the dinner anywhere, you are showing a lack of appreciation (though usually I prefer when there is food left, though no on peoples plates, for the same reason as for the Polish customs, plus it means that I'll have food for tomorrow).
This is quite different from how it works in Arabic countries, where there should be some food left on the plate when you are done, as otherwise you might not have been given enough food, which is a sign of poor hospitality.

Interesting. Thanks. smile

For my part, having been poor for a few years, I hate to see food wasted. And I have seen so much food wasted while people go hungry that it makes me ill to think about it. That said, we try to waste as little food as possible to show thanks for our present good fortune.

Question everything!
#3713299 - 01/07/13 04:30 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
as a side note, elbows NEVER rested on the table while eating.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#3713346 - 01/07/13 07:59 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Urban Furball]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Urban Furball
Hey! .... Who really gives a toss

But on that note ... it may be important for him not to mention the War!

He's already been told that WW2 is a very touchy subject. That would be more of a problem for me though.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3713359 - 01/07/13 09:52 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Sluggish Controls]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Sluggish Controls
as a side note, elbows NEVER rested on the table while eating.

Cheers,
Slug

Or your feet for that matter biggrin

#3713366 - 01/07/13 10:16 AM Re: Dining etiquette question for you European Types [Re: Wklink]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
But is it OK to rest your ass on the table while you put a foot on the chair so you can take off your shoe to check your athlete's foot or toenail fungus?

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.