Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
#3696693 - 12/11/12 05:05 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Hey, godzilla, you said you had to move the "new" game.cfg file into the M1TP2 main directory (along with the experimental exe file). Before that, you were getting CTD's after a mission, like I am. But now that is fixed for you.

I am confused about the game.cfg file. I don't see a new one packaged with the experimental patch. Mine is generated in the sim's main directory, apart from any replacement(experimental)exe. I get a new one when I change my configuration within the sim's options. Can you clarify this for me? No moving of that game.cfg involved. Maybe this is why I still get the CTD's after a mission.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3696743 - 12/11/12 08:40 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
OK, so having just purchased off of Amazon, are there still supported mods for this? I checked out tracksim.com, and all their links were dead. I really liked this and the original and look forward to some nostalgic playing time. Thanks again for re-surrecting a game I thought long gone into the sunset.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3696750 - 12/11/12 09:23 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Heya - thats great - i have two cd copies of m1tp2 myself - an english and a german version - both which i had bought to see whether there was any difference. The game usually goes cheap because most people would not be able or be interested in trying to get it to work anymore. Its always been a dear game - perhaps a comfort as trip down memory lane in all its cliched expression-iness! its worthwhile getting a boxed version as it had a good manual and also a nifty keycard reference - i unfortunately had to dispose of my recently though as one of our cats had relieved themself on it!

I am not familiar with moving the cfg file about - i never had to do this at all. all i have done is installed the game - i had done that with the setup file set to winxp sp2 compatibility but i dont know if that matters at all.
Eugene, is it the zip file "experimental patch" which you got from the nglide site? The only reason i ask is because there is another exe posted by the user gamecollector a few posts later.
I am not savvy enough perhaps with computers to create a driver list - how do i collate these?

#3696775 - 12/11/12 10:50 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Eugene]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Hey, godzilla, you said you had to move the "new" game.cfg file into the M1TP2 main directory (along with the experimental exe file). Before that, you were getting CTD's after a mission, like I am. But now that is fixed for you.

I am confused about the game.cfg file. I don't see a new one packaged with the experimental patch. Mine is generated in the sim's main directory, apart from any replacement(experimental)exe. I get a new one when I change my configuration within the sim's options. Can you clarify this for me? No moving of that game.cfg involved. Maybe this is why I still get the CTD's after a mission.

I gotta cover this quick or I'll be late for work hahaha
1). Downloaded and installed nGlide 1.0
2). Downloaded the experimental patch from Agathosdaimons link in his "M1TP2 working well in vmware with nglide" unzipped to my desktop using WinRaR. This should create a new folder with the new M1TP2.exe and a game.cfg file in it.
3). Patched the original M1TP2.exe to v1.2 (not sure if this step is required).
4). Renamed the original M1TP2.exe in game folder.
5). Selected the new M1TP2.exe and game.cfg files from the folder on my desktop and moved it into the main M1TP2 folder (allow it to overwrite if it wantd too)
6). Play
Also a side note, I did not install M1TP2 to Programs Files (x86) which is where it wants to default install to because of the UAC so make your own folder in C:\ like Microprose\M1TP2 or something like that.
cheers

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
#3696795 - 12/11/12 11:48 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
I have UAC now switched off on my computer and have the game install in the c:/ program files x86 folder

The experimental patch file will have two folders in it one is for the 1.1 game - which is what i prefer and also the 1.2 version of the game which may have fixed some other things but made i felt, the air support more impotent and timid.

I never found any game.cfg file in the folders and i just check it now and still no cfg, just the two exes
the exe file simply just needs to replace the existing m1tp2 exe after the game has been patched to either the 1.1 or 1.2 version.

Incidentally, i have found that IMagics iM1A2 works super stable in windows 7 if you just doing an install that gets around the 16bit installshield exe - get a hold of a newer version of an installshield 32bit exe and replace the exe in the game folder (copy contents of game cd/iso to a folder on the hdd and replace the set up file there and just then run the newer setup file with compat mode selected to win 95. Although iM1a2 had #%&*$# landscape textures it had a really intuitive setup and a GUI in game which made giving orders to the company really easy and also alot of good digitized speech.

Anyhoo thats a side note, gotta complete m1tps campaigns again now!

Last edited by Agathosdaimon; 12/11/12 12:16 PM.
#3696851 - 12/11/12 02:02 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Well into the hard campaign in poland and shame on me for taking the AI for granted. I lost two tanks and all but one bradley and infantryman. After a string of successes i presumed the russians would cave in and the missions would be a cakewalk taking out some shambolic static russians on the defensive, but i was surprised, as two platoons came up on my units form either side of a forest block - they knew where i was after 2 frogfoots were flying over and causing a mess - thats why i thought i was good to stop and hug the treeline and wait to take them out with the m2 if they fly over low again. but i couldnt wait after the tanks attacked the position - after all this i thought it was safe to move around the edge of the map away from the lower ground in the middle,

but even this proved dangerous as there were so many groups of mechanized infantry on the reverse slope that i didnt even see until i came over the hill with the 3 functioning but damaged m1a2s i still had- damaged by heavy artillery. Hit on the sides by infantry rockets, i found my only option was to back up the tanks as quick as possible. And still after eventually getting through this mess, once i reached the Line there was another t-90 platoon waiting there.
Although in the 1.1 patch enemy tanks wont fire their main guns unless they can hit you on the side or are within 1000 metres, they will fire everything they have if they get even just a hint of side or rear exposed./
The mission was accomplished but with such heavy losses i now have to face a reinforced mech battalion in the next mission - i like this aspect too - the russians are somewhat bolstered by their success in the damage caused.

you can just see the OPFOR tank coming up in front of the soldiers - my mistake! Best thing to do is to get the infantry out right away as the bradleys will be destroyed too easily. The infantry are quick to respond and one even launched a rocket and destroyed a tank not a moment too soon.

In answer to whether there are any mods, custom missions and such for the game - well, there were. There used to be a few sites that had some sound mods and also a range of custom missions - some done as a fixed campaign played through the single missions.
I actually have kept these on my computer all these years, - they have migrated from hard drive to hard drive
I even have a campaign where you can play as the russians - its tough, as you are weaker than the US forces but you have far superior numbers.
I have it all in a rar file - its less than 3mb and i can email it - just pm me - i am not familiar with sharing files on websites, bu if someone knows how to do this, then please do

cheers

#3697225 - 12/11/12 10:46 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
Very cool! Great sim. I may have to give thios a go. Great work!

fwiw, Recluse located a lot of Spoon's old M1TP2 site on the Wayback Machine. Quite a treasure trove:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2517639/2.html

I also found I had the M1TP2 1.2 patch on my site too, for some reason if anyone needs it:
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/utilities/m1tp2v12.exe

I recently posted a lot of my old development files from Gunship, btw. Folks intrested in trying M1TP2 might find some of it useful:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3691140/Gunship_Helipad_is_back_And_mo.html#Post3691140

Especially:
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/dev/mps_1.zip

~350MB, but perhaps worth it...

Still lots of possibilities in that old girl:

(Don't ask me how I did that. I no longer have any idea.)

I later used the M1TP2 armor skins and the Saudi Arabia map in desert versions of Gunship:
http://www.simwarrior.com/gunship/GSTOS.html

Last edited by fng2k; 12/11/12 10:56 PM.
#3697311 - 12/12/12 01:40 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Originally Posted By: Agathosdaimon
I never found any game.cfg file in the folders and i just check it now and still no cfg, just the two exes
the exe file simply just needs to replace the existing m1tp2 exe after the game has been patched to either the 1.1 or 1.2 version.

Humm now thats interesting Agathosdaimon confused Like I said I was in a hurry this morning typing my reply and your correct, when you D/L the experimental patch you get both M1TP2 1.1 and M1TP2 1.2 folders. But when I open each of these folder there is the experimental M1TP2.exe and a file called game.cfg. I can say when I tried just moving the experimental M1TP2.exe by itself into the M1TP2 game folder Win7 kept wanting to change the experimental .exe to a shortcut, even if I renamed the original M1TP2.exe. But as soon as I moved both the experimental M1TP2.exe and that game.cfg file into the M1TP2 game folder after renaming the original M1TP2.exe it went right in (Win7 did not try to change the experimental .exe to a shortcut this time). I really don't know why I have this extra file and you don't but in the end it dosen't really matter for myself because I now can now play M1TP2 without it CTD after I finish a mission so it's all good smile
cheers

#3697312 - 12/12/12 01:42 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: fng2k]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Cool stuff fng2k will check out the links and thanks for sharing them thumbsup
cheers

#3697371 - 12/12/12 04:05 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Hmmm. There is a game config, iirc, along with the exe and some other files in the stock patch from Microprose. But no files other than the experimental patched exe file in any of the downloads from the links I found for either the experimental 1.1 or 1.2 downloads. I re-downloaded a later version of the 1.1 - it also has only the exe file. No game.cfg. frown

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3697619 - 12/12/12 04:08 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Doggie Offline
Doggie  Offline

Canada
If someone is looking to buy a copy here is one on ebay.

Core i7 10700KF, MSI Z490 MEG UNIFY, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 1 TB SAMSUNG NVMe x 1, 4TB Seagate SATA3 x 2, CORSAIR RM850x PSU, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 4 and Oculus Rift S.
#3697673 - 12/12/12 05:47 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Thank you for this post I got it running..With messed up menu screens but I can deal with that...I've been trying to get this or Steel Beasts running in Win7 64 bit..Still no luck on steel beasts I can afford the steel beasts pro so at least now I've got a post WW2 tank sim and I have the ringed manual and all I'm not a serious tank simmer but enjoy the heck out of messing around...Thank You

Russ
Semper Fi
#3697950 - 12/13/12 01:38 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
its good fun, still, i hope Eugene can get it going - with the official 1.1 patch - yes that information just needs to all replace the files in the m1tp2 folder of course. The game cfg file - whihc is really just a simple note with the words host and player in it, is not certainly something that i feel plays any real role in the game working.

It may help also to make sure all your windows 7 microsoft updates have been done as - in particualr sometimes the automatic updates dont include things microsoft may view as optional - and some of this optionaly ones were for improved compatibility with old programs- i noticed that after attempting to get some older games working that would only CTD, the request from microsoft to send a report came up - i did that and then interestingly a few hours later some recommended updates came to my computer from the microsoft automatic updates and these included updates for improved compatibility. - this may or may not play a role, but it may help with this or other games perhaps.
cheers

#3698043 - 12/13/12 05:46 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Thanks guys. So far no luck, but I may try putting in a Patch 1.1 version and seeing if that makes any difference - but I doubt it. The problem of end of mission CTD in Glide has been with the sim for ages. I would think that any fix for it in this experimental exe for use with NGlide would solve a fundamental graphics issue, not something tied up with the game's mechanics addressed in these original patches. But what the heck - nothing to lose!

Also, I am using Win XP, not 7. It's all up to date so far as I know. Will check on any "Optional" updates at Win Update.

The graphics sure looked decent considering the age of M1TP2.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3698045 - 12/13/12 05:56 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Agathosdaimon Offline
Agathosdaimon  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
installing the 1.1 version may be a possibility, definitely give that a go

with win xp you should definitely be able to play it without the crash to desktop i would think - in fact i had it going in winxp with this before the experimental patches, but winxp is not on my laptop so its less convenient to get to and use. - Hmmm there must be some way this can be fixed for you! perhaps it depends on the graphics cards or some other hardware issue?

#3698053 - 12/13/12 06:31 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Do you know whether the 1.1 original patch is available anywhere?
The 1.2 patch has a variety of files in addition to its new .exe. Did the 1.1 patch have many files also? Or was it just a new .exe? If so, I could just drop the experimental 1.1 exe in.

Nobody here in the past has been able to get past the end of a mission in Glide without the CTD, on XP rather than Win 98. I am surprised your machine did it. Might be related to an older graphics driver?

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3698077 - 12/13/12 08:36 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Since much of the v1.2 patch is made up of files from the v1.1 patch apart from the newer exe, I substituted the experimental 1.1 in and gave it a try. Couldn't get past the garbled main screen. Went back to the experimental 1.2, and could get missions, but they CTD when completed.

Not sure what to try next.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3698309 - 12/13/12 05:51 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Doggie Offline
Doggie  Offline

Canada
are u running it in compatibility mode? Even in XP I remember running it in Win98 comp mode! Try that.

Core i7 10700KF, MSI Z490 MEG UNIFY, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 1 TB SAMSUNG NVMe x 1, 4TB Seagate SATA3 x 2, CORSAIR RM850x PSU, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Track IR 4 and Oculus Rift S.
#3698521 - 12/13/12 10:58 PM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Yes - tried all various modes. But will double check - worth it!

Thanks.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3699227 - 12/15/12 12:15 AM Re: M1 Tank Platoon 2 is back and on Windows 7! [Re: Agathosdaimon]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Success! Thanks to all for the help and suggestions, Agathosdaimon for way extra effort. Stock, fresh 1.1 patched install can do the usual complete a mission, but CTD when y/n leave battle option is used to finish the mission. But no matter what I do - including compatibility changes, I cannot get the experimental 1.1 version to get past the corrupted Main Menu graphics.

However, Doggie's suggestion to change the experimental 1.2 patched executable file from either Win 95 or no compat option - to WIN 98 worked! Assuming success continues in clearing the Main Menu corruption after about of Alt F and clicking, I will try regular missions and Campaign to see whether they will complete without CTD, as the Training missions have.

Thanks again for the help and inspiration.

Eugene

PS Note for Steel Beasts Pro players - I play SBP online every Monday. It is certainly a superior sim for realism, MP, continual upgrading, community, etc etc etc. This effort with M1TP2 is just an example of why ice cream stores have more than one flavor. Sometimes, a person is just in the mood for a change of pace and scenery.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.