Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3689758 - 11/28/12 04:12 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: bonchie]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: bonchie

Judging by this game's past, lack of multiplayer fanbase, etc. I'd say they are not in a position to take a chance on developing a more niche game at this point i.e. portraying Canadians as the main centerpiece. Going Eastern front in the first one was already a risk and one that didn't seem to pay off.

They need to tap into bigger markets with the highest appeal and a U.S. forces based game does that.

I'm just happy they are continuing development. This game had so much promise but fell so short and frankly there aren't any other options for this kind of game out there in the single player market. We need companies like this still working.

Besides, it's not like we've had a slew of actual realistic D-Day mil sims portraying Americans. Maybe the BIA series, but that was more call of duty then ARMA because of the linear maps.

I bet you'll see British/Canadian units in this game as well.

Well, we could also argue that the point with Iron Front was to model realistic WWII scenarios that were never or rarelly modeled in any other game (together with a good and strong tank modeling alonside with infantry) which is the case of the Eastern Front scenario and in line with this thought you would or could inded have the British and Canadians in D-Day which SHAMELY was never modeled in any game (at least as far as I remember).
Besides I'm pretty sure that the lack of sucess from Iron Front isn't due to not modeling American units but instead it's due to the fact that Iron Front is still considered by many as a "simple" ArmA2 addon with many of those same players still prefering to play the Invasion 1944 mod for ArmA2 (since it's free) instead (for example I can confirm this within my the comunity of ArmA2 players that I belong). Also the fact that Iron Front was released in a considerably buggy state (and while currently better with the latest patches it's still a bit buggy), having a couple of crappy and unrealistic campaigns (at least the German campaign is), only 2 single missions and a very few multiplayer scenarios certainly didn't help the Iron Front sales.

Finally, I hope you're right and that we will see British/Canadian units in this game as well but something tells me that we won't - I hope to be wrong, of course!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3689796 - 11/28/12 04:54 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Is this a stand alone release, or do I need to buy something else first? Don't know much about this product, because frankly, when I see Russian Front I change the page. I know I'm in the minority, here, because most of you guys seem to love it.
Saw the Shermans, though, and went..."Hmmmm..."
Are those Thunderbolts flyable? And lastly, is this series worth picking up?

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3689803 - 11/28/12 05:01 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: Pooch]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
You would have to buy Iron Front 44 Liberation ... Then in december the DLC comes out (which includes the p47)

Not timed very well because Iron front was on sale at steam yesterday for 50% off £9.99 now its back to £19.99

Last edited by tempusmurphy; 11/28/12 05:04 PM.

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

The only thing more accurate than incoming fire, is incoming friendly fire

Tracers work BOTH ways...

" I have a cunning plan my lord "
#3689804 - 11/28/12 05:02 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: Pooch]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: bonchie
They need to tap into bigger markets with the highest appeal and a U.S. forces based game does that.

I fully understand the reasons, but i dont have to like em, being a brit its a bit annoying seeing the americans done all the time whilst the entire commenwealth just gets ignored or slaged off as being useless.

Originally Posted By: Pooch
Is this a stand alone release, or do I need to buy something else first? Don't know much about this product, because frankly, when I see Russian Front I change the page. I know I'm in the minority, here, because most of you guys seem to love it.
Saw the Shermans, though, and went..."Hmmmm..."
Are those Thunderbolts flyable? And lastly, is this series worth picking up?

It'll be DLC for Iron Front, so you'll need Iron Front first. I'm with you a bit with the russian front, not my first area of intrest so your not alone. I'm guessing the thunderbolts will be flyable. And as to picking it up .. depends if your gonna play co-op with a group of friends or not, if your just gonna play single player then i'd avoid it.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3689836 - 11/28/12 05:54 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Juniorjunior Offline
Juniorjunior  Offline

this is awesome- im so tired of the eastern front, hopefully they will have fallshirmjager and new skins for the german armor

#3689872 - 11/28/12 07:13 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: NickMow]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: NickMow
Ooh Ooh where ? I just wonder if they might of thought to remember The Brits, Canadians, Commonwealth and European elements of D-day. Or do we go down the Omaha route again ? Not complaining I'm sure it will be an excellent addon......

Edit...better Spell Omaha right, instead of Ohmama. LOL, I can however spell Gold, Juno and Sword correctly first time

The Canadians and British were not at D Day ! Don't you watch movies ?? I guess the fact they joined the war immediately, and fought 2 years before America joined the party is irrelevant.

One of the reasons why i enjoy Hidden and Dangerous 2 so much. A chance to play as a Brit.

#3689902 - 11/28/12 07:46 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: WangoTango]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
as they have called it D Day I am hoping that there will be a beach landing mission/map

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

#3689922 - 11/28/12 08:06 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
if there going for market appeal i'd be surpised if there wasnt a map with a little of the french coast at least.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3689993 - 11/28/12 10:20 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Looking forward to some bocage missions. It would be great to recreate Winters' gun assault. Maybe an assault through bocage with infantry and a tank in mutual support too smile

#3690014 - 11/28/12 10:56 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: Pooch]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Pooch

Probably you're not "the minority" and actually I have a similar oppinion as yours (I also don't like the Eastern Front much) but in the end (and IMO) it doesn't matter where and what a simulation models, what it matters (again IMO) is that the simulation is great and in the end (again IMO) Iron Front is a great sim!

#3690018 - 11/28/12 11:07 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: ricnunes]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
looking forward to that mission tigerwolf

#3690055 - 11/29/12 12:26 AM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
Originally Posted By: tempusmurphy
as they have called it D Day I am hoping that there will be a beach landing mission/map

Oh no doubt, and I'd bet a round of Beers, we will be slogging up,the slopes of Omaha ! Again !

Problem with beach landings in the ARMA series is they never quite capture the sheer numbers that where involved. I'm looking forward to some inland
Skirmishes though. Better yet with a tin hat and a Lee-Enfield in hand, backed up by a Churchill........

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
#3690221 - 11/29/12 11:23 AM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: NickMow]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: NickMow

Problem with beach landings in the ARMA series is they never quite capture the sheer numbers that where involved.

Well the same is also true with any other FPS game - There's no FPS game available today (or in the past) that modeled a D-day beach landing that modeled an accurate number of soldiers (the real number of soldiers in a D-Day beach were always much higher than what it was modeled in any FPS games).
But IMO, there was a Co-op mission in the Invasion 1944 mod for ArmA2 that modeled a believable scenario of the Omaha beach where there was a very big (and believable) number of enemy and friendly soldiers alike in that same scenario! So I don't see why there can't be an Omaha beach mission (for example) with a very big and believable number of soldiers/units in the Iron Front D-Day DLC/addon.

#3690234 - 11/29/12 12:39 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: ricnunes]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
Originally Posted By: ricnunes
So I don't see why there can't be an Omaha beach mission (for example) .

Or Utah ! Or Sword Juno or Gold........just saying. biggrin

Look, I'll probably get this DLC, The IF paid Mod does have some saving graces the armour system for tank Battles is good enough to produce a decent fight. The scenery/maps are a league above the stock ARMA maps, though some remarkable Addons have been produced. The Invasion44 lads are working on a Penetration system for Armour and you can't deny their maps are pretty damn good. Also as seen above they have such a remarkable scope of equipment and troops, which is all lovingly crafted by a Gang of dedicated guys and all for aFREE !

Iron Front are onto a good thing they just seem to be wasting the opportunity to expand on the sublime East Front. game they gave us, If you want folk to pay the you have to come up with something over and above the vast and diverse Addons that some very dedicated fans produce. Some of which I would gladly pay for. Helll in the Pacific beta out tommorow, Vietnam The Experience update out already this week and I44 up for a patch soon.

Come on Iron Front ....listen to the troops. crew

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
#3690327 - 11/29/12 04:10 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: NickMow]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
with this DLC it meas we could do a mission based on the classic Kelly's Hero's

#3690355 - 11/29/12 05:10 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Tigerwulf Offline
Tigerwulf  Offline

Wolverhampton, England
Or saving Private Saghen.

#3690356 - 11/29/12 05:13 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: Tigerwulf]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
the problem with that is everyone will try to shoot him 50cal

Also I am wondering how they are going to do this DLC ... will it be like Arma2 dlc ... where everyone gets a low res version and you buy a hi res version and some missions ... or will it be traditional DLC you have to buy it to use it ... if so will the SimHQ server be upgraded with it ?

EDIT

just had a reply from the devs about this question

tempusmuphy: You will get answer for this in the next week, when we will post a FAQ. Also if you have some DLC relate question, feel free to ask them, and we will implement them to the FAQ.

so any questions fire them at the iron front forum

Last edited by tempusmurphy; 11/29/12 05:57 PM.

#3690382 - 11/29/12 06:06 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Thanks tempus, good to know they'll be posting that.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3690491 - 11/29/12 09:50 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
DetCord Offline
DetCord  Offline

Fort Riley, Kansas
The reason IF:L44 never caught on wasn't due to the focus not being on the Americans, nor was it because it wasn't set during operations on the Western Front. The player-base plummeted due to modding, or lack there of.

The developers must approve and sign every addon/mod via PBO before it can be utilized. This is a business model, very much like the one used by EA in regards to BF3. They're more worried about squeezing out DLC sales, and they don't want any cross modding projects that could put that in jeopardy. It isn't open to modding. It is for all intents and purposes, closed.

People should probably recall that OFP and the ArmA series would've long been forgotten about if it wasn't for the mod development community, a community that has far exceeded the games original content and extended its lifespan.

Last edited by DevilDog; 11/29/12 09:52 PM.

Ex-pat Kiwi currently serving in the U.S. Army
#3690540 - 11/29/12 11:38 PM Re: News from Deep silver [Re: tempusmurphy]  
saghen Online cool
saghen  Online Cool

USA
Originally Posted By: tempusmurphy
with this DLC it meas we could do a mission based on the classic Kelly's Hero's

We actually have a Kelly's Heroes mission here at SimHQ. Fatty created it for Arma2/OA. Granted, it's built around modern units, etc., but it's still Kelly's Heroes-like. Pretty cool mission actually, although some squad leaders had difficulty leading it, as they forgot/didn't realize the plot of Kelly's Heroes. smile2

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.