Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3688244 - 11/25/12 08:36 PM Windows 8 vs. EECH?  
DanZman Offline
DanZman  Offline

Just wondering if anyone has tried out windows 8 with EECH. I already have it installed on my computer (Windows 7) but am skeptical to upgrade due to potential issues I may run into. If anyone has it or believes of any issues I may run into, just keep me posted.

Thanks

"A warrior's path is a solitary one"
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-500z PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• AMD Athlon(TM) X4 640 quad-core processor [3.0GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]
• 6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 2GB EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked
• Wireless-N LAN card
• Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
#3688560 - 11/26/12 01:39 PM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: DanZman]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I wonder why would someone want to upgrade to Windows 8 using a desktop (I'm assuming that you're using a desktop to play EECH, right)?

IMO, Windows 8 is only worth for tablets and some laptop models.

#3689330 - 11/27/12 07:06 PM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: DanZman]  
ColJamesD Offline
ColJamesD  Offline

USA
I am still using Windows XP Professional.

I refuse to upgrade to Vista, 7 or 8.

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?
#3689623 - 11/28/12 09:05 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: ricnunes]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
I wonder why would someone want to upgrade to Windows 8 using a desktop (I'm assuming that you're using a desktop to play EECH, right)?

IMO, Windows 8 is only worth for tablets and some laptop models.

Have you actually tried Windows 8? It works quite well on a desktop. It's also faster than previous versions at booting and loading apps. Granted the Metro app is tailored towards touch screen, but it still works fine with a mouse.

#3689695 - 11/28/12 01:47 PM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: ColJamesD]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
I am still using Windows XP Professional.

I refuse to upgrade to Vista, 7 or 8.

Windows 7 is okay, believe me! Vista is better left alone.
But Windows 7 has DX10 and is really good.
Just make sure you install Classic Shell for Windows 7, then you have the menu system like XP back in Windows 7.
And Classic Shell is FREE!
Windows 8 is best if you have a touch screen or tablet, would not advise it for PC, but even if you do, you can also use Classic Shell on Windows 8 and have the XP style menu.

My best regards, Kodiak.

I Want To Believe
#3690028 - 11/28/12 11:29 PM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: messyhead]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: messyhead

Have you actually tried Windows 8? It works quite well on a desktop. It's also faster than previous versions at booting and loading apps. Granted the Metro app is tailored towards touch screen, but it still works fine with a mouse.

I know enough (regarding Windows 8) that it doesn't have a Start menu and I've seen how you open applications in Windows 8 and I HATE how this is done (in Windows 8)!
I also know that while the booting and loading some application times are usually lower than in Windows 7 specially when running with low amounts of RAM memory (a thing that currently is quite rare with desktop PCs), that there's absolutelly NO GAIN in terms of in-game performance and there are even graphical problems with some games running under Windows 8 (specially when the graphical details are incressed/maxed out).

I still maintain what I said: Windows 8 is almost useless if you're running it in a desktop PC! If you have a tablet (but you don't run EECH in a tablet) or even a laptop with touchscreen support than yes, you should upgrade to Windows 8 (due to better touchscreen support and less RAM memory usage).

#3690207 - 11/29/12 09:44 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: ricnunes]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Originally Posted By: messyhead

I know enough (regarding Windows 8) that it doesn't have a Start menu and I've seen how you open applications in Windows 8 and I HATE how this is done (in Windows 8)!
I also know that while the booting and loading some application times are usually lower than in Windows 7 specially when running with low amounts of RAM memory (a thing that currently is quite rare with desktop PCs), that there's absolutelly NO GAIN in terms of in-game performance and there are even graphical problems with some games running under Windows 8 (specially when the graphical details are incressed/maxed out).

I still maintain what I said: Windows 8 is almost useless if you're running it in a desktop PC! If you have a tablet (but you don't run EECH in a tablet) or even a laptop with touchscreen support than yes, you should upgrade to Windows 8 (due to better touchscreen support and less RAM memory usage).

But have you actually used Windows 8 on a desktop? That was my question. Saying it's almost useless is quite a statement. I don't have Windows 8, and I'm not saying everyone should upgrade, but I have used it on a desktop, and there's not really much wrong with it. It's a different way of working from what you're used to, but once you've tried it you get used to it pretty quickly.

All of the programs you use are available straight away on the metro app, so there's no need to go browsing through a start menu. Using the metro app is the same as double clicking an icon on the desktop (except it's a single click). There is still a desktop available if you need it. As far graphical issues go, they'll get ironed out, the same way there were issues when Vista/Windows 7 launched.

#3690236 - 11/29/12 12:55 PM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: DanZman]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
No, I actually didn't use Windows 8 but I've seen someone in front of me using and testing it (Windows 8) which is almost the same thing as using it yourself and what I've seen with my 2 eyes is that the Windows 8 GUI is only worth if you have a tablet or some device (laptop for example) with a touchscreen and while Windows 8 do have a more "traditional" desktop (almost similar to Windows 7) you can't boot directly into it and neither does it have the so much needed Start menu button, how's that for "there's not really much wrong with it" (when using Windows 8 in a desktop)?

Beside I didn't quite say that Windows 8 is "almost useless" (as a "general" statement) but I said that Windows 8 is "almost useless" if you're using a device that doesn't have a touchscreen such as a "typical desktop". And there's no one in the world that can convince me otherwise!

Like I said, I do think that Windows 8 may be great for Tablets or laptops with touchscreen since Windows 8 have touchscreen support, uses less RAM memory (Tablets or laptops are usually more limited regarding RAM memory than Desktops) and uses less energy (also very important for Tablets or laptops). But again, Desktops don't or hardly uses any of the Windows 8 advantages!

I see that this is turning into a Windows 7 versus Windows 8 debate and I don't think this is the right place for it so I won't be posting in this thread anymore regarding this subject - I already made my point...

#3904153 - 01/30/14 03:21 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: DanZman]  
GoalTender Offline
GoalTender  Offline

Hello,

it's been a several of years since I've played EECH. I used to play with this game with my Toshiba laptop using Pentium III and windows xp. I downloaded most of the updates available in the old forum.

I fnally had to replace my laptop and recently purchased a Dell XPS 8700 using Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 has desktop available. It's actually a pretty good OS. Suck it up cause this is the new OS. and I think that it's a pretty darn good Operating System.

Now, All I've read so far is complaint or criticism about W8 and nothing constructive regarding if anyone actually have installed EECH using Window 8 or 8.1. If so any feedback? Any Heads up?

thanks in advance to your responses.
GoalTender

FAMOUS LAST WORDS: "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS"
#3904219 - 01/30/14 09:19 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: GoalTender]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: GoalTender
Hello,

it's been a several of years since I've played EECH. I used to play with this game with my Toshiba laptop using Pentium III and windows xp. I downloaded most of the updates available in the old forum.

I fnally had to replace my laptop and recently purchased a Dell XPS 8700 using Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 has desktop available. It's actually a pretty good OS. Suck it up cause this is the new OS. and I think that it's a pretty darn good Operating System.

Now, All I've read so far is complaint or criticism about W8 and nothing constructive regarding if anyone actually have installed EECH using Window 8 or 8.1. If so any feedback? Any Heads up?

thanks in advance to your responses.
GoalTender

I can run EECH on Windows 8.1 with no issues. I did have to upgrade my graphics drivers when 8.1 came out, but since then I've not had any problems.

#3904710 - 01/31/14 03:16 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: DanZman]  
Parker Offline
Parker  Offline

Running no problem here either with Win 8.

#3904763 - 01/31/14 06:14 AM Re: Windows 8 vs. EECH? [Re: messyhead]  
GoalTender Offline
GoalTender  Offline

Like I said, it's been awhile. I tried loading EECH last night and I was able to get as far as the Intro screen. It was stuck @ "campaign loading". Didn't go further than that. I uninstalled and reloaded again.

Then, I realized that I have the original version 1.4.1. I used to have the 1.4.2 and all the updated texture maps and enhanced cockpits.

I also remember that there used to be the EECH Central that had a sticky on all the upgrades to the game. I can't find that anymore. The forum is a fraction of what the old one was. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate you guy and your additions to continue this community and this awesome sim game.

Which version should I have now? Where do I go to get the newest version?

Thanks,
GoalTender

FAMOUS LAST WORDS: "HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS"

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.