Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3687754 - 11/24/12 05:45 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
gwalch Offline
gwalch  Offline

Would like to say that though I have no idea what might be most realistic,the oil effect as it is[and especially with blood]makes nursing a damaged plane home or to own lines tedious.
A least let me see!
Some oil sometimes perhaps?
Off topic I know,but every wound a head wound?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3687857 - 11/24/12 09:45 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I don't think there's a head wound, foot wound or groin wound, its just a wound smile 4... wounds and you're dead, simple as.

I like the oil effect, like the blood effect it adds a bit of flavour to the sim. I would like to be able to wipe my goggles, only with some correct smearing though.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3687858 - 11/24/12 09:58 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
gwalch Offline
gwalch  Offline

4 wounds and dead.
I didn't know that.
Problem is for me,head wound,blood in eyes,foot wound,blood in eyes,thumb wound,blood in eyes,wounded pride yes,blood in eyes!
The oil is ok and you are right it does add flavour.I just think it is used or occurs too frequently.
For realism[?],someone on ROF forum suggested blobs should be big because they are on the goggles and therefore near.
He has a point there.

Last edited by gwalch; 11/24/12 09:58 PM.
#3688008 - 11/25/12 06:02 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
You catch a bullet in the back of the head, you're dead. What are we talking about . .cartoons ?

Oil you wipe off your goggles with that white silk scarf that's around your neck

If you've got engine oil from other than a rotory on your goggles, you've got big time problems.

That's what I like about OFF, when you hit somebody, there's no blood, you just hear him scream. . if the aircraft no longer goes straight, you must've killed him

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
#3688013 - 11/25/12 06:22 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Uncleal]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Uncleal
You catch a bullet in the back of the head, you're dead. What are we talking about . .cartoons ?

Are you here to discuss ROF, or are you just trying to promote OFF? Seeing your post history, I would guess it's the latter.

#3688029 - 11/25/12 07:59 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: gwalch]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Originally Posted By: gwalch
someone on ROF forum suggested blobs should be big because they are on the goggles and therefore near.
He has a point there.

I said just that in this thread! smile

#3688050 - 11/25/12 10:08 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
gwalch Offline
gwalch  Offline

Sorry Furbs.
It was you here then.
What you said makes sense.
Gwalch.

#3688051 - 11/25/12 10:18 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: gwalch]  
paf_eaf310 Offline
paf_eaf310  Offline

4 wounds and dead.
I didn't know that.
Problem is for me,head wound,blood in eyes,foot wound,blood in eyes,thumb wound,blood in eyes,wounded pride yes,blood in eyes!

Well, maybe you have to think of it more as an indicator showing visually that you are wounded.

Last edited by paf_eaf310; 11/25/12 10:21 AM.
#3688067 - 11/25/12 11:58 AM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
gwalch Offline
gwalch  Offline

No,don't want health bar or healing packs but thanks anyway! boom

Seriously I really don't mind any of these oil\blood things I only think that they tend to occur too frequently
Nearly every hit I take that has an effect on the flying is an engine\oil hit or so it seems,even though most strikes are from behind.
Anyway lads,I am all for realism,I "fly" with only map as aid and enjoy the immerssion of it all.
I shall now stop clogging this post and leave it to those of you who obviously know what you are talking about and can offer something positive.But I will keep reading,I like that.

Last edited by gwalch; 11/25/12 01:27 PM.
#3688144 - 11/25/12 04:32 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: ]  
I B Spectre Offline
I B Spectre  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Troll
One thing that helps with the smearing oil is to shut down the engine.

In real life, flying a single engine aircraft, the first thing I would do in case the engine started spraying oil is to look for a spot to land. I would then use what ever little time my engine has left to fly towards that spot. When I was sure I could reach it I would shut down the engine and glide it in...

That works in RoF as well, and you will be able to look through the goggles to see where you crash. wink

Seems most of the time my engine sprays oil in my face is when I'm engaged on the unfriendly side of No Man's Land at an altitude often dictated by weather constraints. I usually make a beeline for friendly territory and hope my engine can get me there. I don't usually shutdown an operating engine, especially if my return to safety is in doubt. When my goggles get so oily that I can't see, I turn my head toward the tail and manage my roll attitude thusly until the oil clears sufficiently to see forward again albeit for a short time. I have no real issue with oil or blood on the goggles, but it would be more realistic if wiping could be implemented even if it left a bit of fuzziness IMO.

#3688207 - 11/25/12 07:18 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: LukeFF]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: LukeFF

Are you here to discuss ROF, or are you just trying to promote OFF? Seeing your post history, I would guess it's the latter.

I'm talking about realism which ROF claims to be. It's meat or metal, you put one in his head, end of story. You put one in his back,chances are good that it's all over as well. Getting shot at point blank range it's sure to ruin your day.
Please remember the pilots seat was hardly bulletproof. In WWII the seat back was Boiler Plate Steel. In WWI wood or basket. Also the pilots were built like jockeys. Any pound of meat you don't need to carry up, meant one more pound of ammo you could carry, and ammo is life. It's a safe bet a Bodybuilder was never a WWI pilot

You had NO meat, in a frontal attack. The engine, and fuel tank caught the bullets first. But that could also ruin your day. With everything in the front third of the fusilage. Plus engine technology wasn't as good as it is today.

Manfred Von Rictofen Died from one bullet from the ground, who is debatable. And we'll never know as his Fokker was torn apart by souveneer hunters, so computation of the angle of the killing shot ( 1 ) is impossible.
They've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities, an aussie machine gunner, and a British soldier with a rifle, any further is only guess work. Because both use the same .303 Bullet

#3688219 - 11/25/12 07:50 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: I B Spectre]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: I B Spectre
[quote=Troll]

Seems most of the time my engine sprays oil in my face is when I'm engaged on the unfriendly side of No Man's Land at an altitude often dictated by weather constraints. I usually make a beeline for friendly territory and hope my engine can get me there. I don't usually shutdown an operating engine, especially if my return to safety is in doubt. When my goggles get so oily that I can't see, I turn my head toward the tail and manage my roll attitude thusly until the oil clears sufficiently to see forward again albeit for a short time. I have no real issue with oil or blood on the goggles, but it would be more realistic if wiping could be implemented even if it left a bit of fuzziness IMO.

It depends on what Bird you're flying. With a Rotory engine it's normal. But if it's an inline you've got grief. I'd kill the engine and attempt a Dead-Stick Landing on MY terms, you could wait, but that engine is going to lock-up on you. And usually in the worst area to land.

The Rotory uses a total loss oil system. Like a 2 Stroke. They utilize Castor Oil because it doesn't disolve in the fuel, but it also comes out with the exhaust, so everything is covered with atomized Castor Oil.
That silk scarf is great for wiping you goggles.

The Rotory engine itself was very sloppy in operation, but it was cheap to make, light in weight, so it was just what the doctor ordered. But it pretty much vanished when the armistice was signed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

Last edited by Uncleal; 11/25/12 08:11 PM.

#3688223 - 11/25/12 07:59 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Tvrdi]  
gwalch Offline
gwalch  Offline

Back just to say Troll your comments were takeen in the spirit you meant them to be.
Thank you.
Now I really will leave it up to you boys - I promise yep

#3688867 - 11/26/12 10:34 PM Re: Oil on windshield - the new, more convincing effect [Re: Uncleal]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX

There are no head/foot/thumb/pride hit boxes in RoF. biggrin There is just detection that the pilot is hit. So, yeah, the pilot damage is abstracted and you have to take 4 hits to die. Maybe in the future they will change to a more detailed pilot model but I wouldn't expect that anytime soon.

That's what I like about OFF, when you hit somebody, there's no blood, you just hear him scream.

Ugh. If it is realism you want, then you shouldn't be able to hear a scream above the wind and engine noise from your own aircraft.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.