Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3680332 - 11/12/12 10:14 AM More cougar woes - microstick working, but non-functional  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
The short(ish) version:

Cougar keeps getting disconnected, like every 10 minutes (Win7 SP1 64-bit). Only way to get it recognised again is reflashing it. Tried various USB ports as suggested, but no dice. Tried complete re-install of software and drivers. Followed the instructions about Vista compatibility mode and running as administrator. Had a seemingly common problem with missing "STTubeDevice203.dll" (which hasn't happened in the past) but copied that manually and all sorted.

However, I now have no response from the microstick, no matter what I do with the axes in the CCP. It's not a hardware problem because a) it appears to be working during calibration, and b) if I use the CCP to swap axes for the main stick and the microstick, the microstick will control the main axes with no problem. I just can't get anything from the rudder/toe brakes axes, no matter what I try in the CCP.

Must admit I don't do much flying these days but every I try, I run into these sorts of problems. While I'd love to drop the cash on a Warthog (and have been tempted), I'd be really pissed off losing the Cougar to these constant niggles, especially as it's had the considerable investment of a U2-NXT and throttle hall sensor.

Am at work now, but just realised I've got a Windows7 laptop I can try it on which should at least confirm if the hardware's ok. In the meantime, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

B

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3680337 - 11/12/12 10:47 AM Re: More cougar woes - microstick working, but non-functional [Re: Brun]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

check that the poprt you are currently using have the "allow the pc to turn off this device" NOT ticked in the power options

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3681004 - 11/13/12 09:33 AM Re: More cougar woes - microstick working, but non-functional [Re: Brun]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Cheers for the power tip, hadn't heard that one before. I still had one more disconnect after trying it though, so it doesn't seem to be the cause.

Strangely, after another round of uninstall/reinstall and reflash I appear to have a fully functional microstick again and managed 30 mins without any further disconnects. Must admit the intermittent nature of these problems has me worried that something inside the Cougar is dying. Might open it up and check for any shorts, but other than that it doesn't feel like there's much can be done.

#3681180 - 11/13/12 03:55 PM Re: More cougar woes - microstick working, but non-functional [Re: Brun]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
I've seen that when the driver doesn't install properly. In Win 7 you have to allow the install for Windows not to block it as it isn't a "certified" driver. Are you running Win 7 at all? If so, you need to use the Vista x86 or Vista 64-bit driver depending on your Win 7 install. There are specific directions here:

http://cubpilotshangar.net/page105.html

The only time I've had the microstick go bad in the 8+ years I've had my Cougar was when there was a short in the throttle. I had accidentally pinched a wire when doing some other work when I reassembled the unit at one point long ago... The microstick went flaky after about a year or so after that (I didn't bother replacing it until just recently). It also caused me to have to recalibrate often and to have to replace pots in the stick every 2 or so years. Finally when the short took out the throttle pot, during the disassembly and reassembly process did I discover the pinched wire. I fixed that wire, changed all the pots out and the microstick while I was at it. No problems since! And the calibration settings I set with a manual calibrate are sticking.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3681758 - 11/14/12 12:11 PM Re: More cougar woes - microstick working, but non-functional [Re: Brun]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
It's been working fine the majority of the time, but have had intermittent problems with the microstick not working in the past. I've always been convinced it's a software thing, since the response from the stick has always looked ok during calibration. The current microstick is one I replaced myself after the original went bad, spiking, drifting etc.

Am aware of cubby's installation instructions, it was those I've been following.

I'm just in the process of ordering a new ANT pot (lost the centre detent in the current one) from Thrustmaster, so added a spare RNG pot and microstick to the list as well. Very impressed by their customer service so far, got a reply to my original email the same day, quoting 10 Euro including shipping.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.