Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22
#3745072 - 03/04/13 07:38 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
narfnarf Offline
narfnarf  Offline

Hannover, Germany
Well, they would louse thrust if they move backwards to fast. Loosing thrust is probably not their biggest problem in that case...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3745076 - 03/04/13 07:47 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Rusty_M Offline
Rusty_M  Offline

Edinburgh UK
It felt like a stupid post when I posted it smile

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine!

Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 950 @4GHz, 6GB corsair Dominator 1600 MHz, EVGA GTX 570, Samsung 1Tb, 60 Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD
#3745205 - 03/04/13 11:53 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
WarHorsey Offline
WarHorsey  Offline

Melbourne, VIC, Australia
The Huey, like the Chinook, certainly isn't 'immune' to VRS but it is far less susceptible as it has nice big blades rotating 'relatively' slowly compared to more modern aircraft such as the Hokum or Blackhawk.

This results in less powerful, less concentrated downwash, making it more difficult to enter VRS.

It's quite difficult to enter, even intentionally, requiring a prolonged vertical descent to establish fully.

- Horsey

"When experienced by a fixed wing pilot for the first time this trait serves to highlight the feelings of inadequacy already being felt in the presence of an Iroquois helicopter pilot" - Bell UH-1H Iroquois Basic Operator's Technique Manual
#3745437 - 03/05/13 01:21 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Jedi Master]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I don't know if VRS is more dangerous/likely in a dual-rotor setup like the 50 compared to the UH-1, but I DO know that if it has a rotor it is susceptible to VRS. It may not be something you commonly run into depending on the types of missions you fly, but there is certainly nothing "special" about the UH-1 that provides immunity from it.

The Jedi Master

The aerosft devs said its very difficult to enter a vrs, like an airplane that cant spin. This doesnt reflect as well on them as all planes can spin, some its just harder than others.

Anyway. So the huey is difficult to put into vrs? Challenge accepted biggrin

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3745469 - 03/05/13 01:51 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: WarHorsey]  
Siko Offline
Siko  Offline

Shropshire, UK
Originally Posted By: WarHorsey
The Huey, like the Chinook, certainly isn't 'immune' to VRS but it is far less susceptible as it has nice big blades rotating 'relatively' slowly compared to more modern aircraft such as the Hokum or Blackhawk.

This results in less powerful, less concentrated downwash, making it more difficult to enter VRS.

It's quite difficult to enter, even intentionally, requiring a prolonged vertical descent to establish fully.

- Horsey

I don't think the relative speed of the blades makes much difference to Vortex Ring, I would agree that all helicopters are susceptible to it, but IMHO the rotor speed has little effect. The key rules of thumb for Vortex Ring are power applied, low airspeed and high rate of descent....and yes it does need a little while to develop.

Until 2006 I flew the Merlin HC3, which is a modern helicopter with 'BERP' blades that create enhanced lift, but even this would enter Vortex Ring at, I seem to remember, less than 5 kts airspeed and around 1200' ROD. I only did this in the simulator as obviously we weren't allowed to intentionally do it, but it was bloody difficult to enter!

I also flew the Puma HC1 until recently and have been in fully developed Vortex Ring...once...and never again. There are lots of myths surrounding Vortex Ring and it was widely believed by many at the time that the Puma was not susceptible, however I was given a demonstration many years ago by a very experienced instructor that was supposed to have just been 'incipient' Vortex Ring and went 'full'. We were simply meant to feel the ac get all mushy and wallowy, then push forward on the cyclic to gain airspeed to recover.

I remember we could only get into Vortex Ring by flying backwards (airspeed negative of course) and the aircraft starting getting 'mushy' at around 800' rate of descent at around 6000' altitude, the time interval between 'mushy' and 'full entry' was about 0.01 of a second! The first thing that happened was the ac instantly dropped the nose from about 10 degrees nose up to 90 degrees nose down, as the nose fell the ac rolled through 180 degrees or more and we recovered after some difficulty at around 1800' altitude with 30 kts airspeed, the ball all the way out to one side, about 45 degrees left wing low and still in a descent. It was genuinely horrible and without sounding melodramatic I thought I was going to die! After that incident, all Vortex Ring 'familiarisation' was done in the Simulator.

Hope that enlightened and didn't bore too much smile

#3745474 - 03/05/13 01:58 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Gosh, that put me off.
Many congrats for your survival! :O
No jokes.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3745518 - 03/05/13 02:58 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: komemiute]  
tempusmurphy Offline
tempusmurphy  Offline

outside London
Don't be put off Komemiute ... I will need a wingman, try the shark first ... it will be easier to fly than the uh-h1

Tempus ...aka Baldric

Dont think of it as being vastly outnumbered ... but just having a large target selection.

The only thing more accurate than incoming fire, is incoming friendly fire

Tracers work BOTH ways...

" I have a cunning plan my lord "
#3745534 - 03/05/13 03:14 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

LOL! You just lifted me off me feet! Sure thing then. If we could just convince Percy PErcy to join in too...

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3745535 - 03/05/13 03:19 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.

biggrin

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3745539 - 03/05/13 03:25 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Aaaaaand we're ready... biggrin

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#3745566 - 03/05/13 04:05 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Rusty_M]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: Rusty_M
It felt like a stupid post when I posted it smile

hahaha

You should always listen to THE VOICES Rusty when they are trying to tell you that something is fundamentally wrong, or deeply flawed. THE VOICES are wise, and know many things. yep

Sometimes I disobey them too.....and they punish me by making me post absolute bollocks on SimHQ. sigh It can happen to us all. Clear the murky fishbowl of the mind, and Be like water. Or was it Marzipan. One or the tuther.

hahaha

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3745841 - 03/05/13 10:30 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Siko]  
WarHorsey Offline
WarHorsey  Offline

Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Originally Posted By: Siko
I don't think the relative speed of the blades makes much difference to Vortex Ring, I would agree that all helicopters are susceptible to it, but IMHO the rotor speed has little effect. The key rules of thumb for Vortex Ring are power applied, low airspeed and high rate of descent....and yes it does need a little while to develop.

The size and intensity of the downwash is an important factor which is affected by, among many other things, the rotor diameter and rotor speed.

The pilot can't adjust these (much) so they are usually excluded from VRS discussion in favour of factors which the pilot can affect, but they help explain why one type may be more or less susceptible to VRS.

Your VRS story sounds as if it also involved some RBS. Did it occur as you introduced collective to develop the VRS?

- Horsey

"When experienced by a fixed wing pilot for the first time this trait serves to highlight the feelings of inadequacy already being felt in the presence of an Iroquois helicopter pilot" - Bell UH-1H Iroquois Basic Operator's Technique Manual
#3747637 - 03/08/13 04:11 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Mr_Ubersmythe Offline
Mr_Ubersmythe  Offline

I am very excited about this Huey!! I have been setting up missions in black shark, troops and light aaa in a town, and the shark outfitted with dumb rockets only-- then i turn off all the blue buttons down low to the right. Hope the huey is like this ..fun.

#3748693 - 03/10/13 09:01 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Longbow fanatic Offline
Longbow fanatic  Offline

Santa Fe, NM USA
I'd be more excited with a Loach... that's a sweet little chopper

Why do people think flight sims are nerdy???
#3749549 - 03/12/13 09:49 AM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: WarHorsey]  
Siko Offline
Siko  Offline

Shropshire, UK
[quote=WarHorsey

Your VRS story sounds as if it also involved some RBS. Did it occur as you introduced collective to develop the VRS?

- Horsey [/quote]

Hello mate, VRS requires a sustained descent so we had already brought in power just after initial entry and effectively held the collective in place with moderate power on. The tipping point was when the actual rate of descent went over 800' per minute and we then went out of control. One of the effects of full VRS is some loss of control...hence the 'mushiness' I talked about earlier in incipient VRS, but this was almost total loss of control smile

Retreating Blade Stall is something different though, it is typically found at very high forward air speeds, high weights and abrupt manouevres, rather than in a sustained descent from the hover. I have only encountered this in the Simulator but it was fairly unpleasant in there wink

Last edited by Siko; 03/12/13 09:50 AM. Reason: Rubbish spelling
Page 22 of 22 1 2 20 21 22

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.