Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#365919 - 02/07/05 07:19 AM Questions regarding naval aviation  
Bright_Sky Offline
Bright_Sky  Offline

Hello all,

Actually, I've been being in this boards for years but I still have some questions left unanswered in my mind regarding Super Hornet and/or naval aviation. Could you please help clarify ?

The questions are,

1. Is a pilot sitting at the second seat of 2-seater aircrafts, like SH, Tomcat and Phantom, able to control an aircraft ? Heard that he's a warfare officer responsible for selecting weapons, designating tagets, etc, thus I'm not sure whether he can control an aircraft in case of emergency.

2. Why is there a box at the nose of Super Hornet (F)? Why not at SH (E) ? and what is it for ?

3. What's transfering power to catapult ? Heard that it's just hot stream, is it true ?

4. Was SH only designed for 7.5g environment ? Can technicians set her to 9.0g for some cases ?

5. Why do naval pilots wish to hook at 3-wire when landing ? Is there any advantage ?

Okay, I think it's enough for releasing my doubt.

Thanks in advance for any comments and answers.

Best Rgds,
SB

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#365920 - 02/07/05 08:56 AM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings:
Okay, I can answer your nosy questions.

1. The back-seater asserts only indirect control over the flight of the airplane.
He does so verbally with helpful suggestions like, "Hey, doofus, you were supposed to turn left at the beach!"
And manually with a whack on the back of the pilot's helmet.

2. The box is to carry all the parts that fall off during flight.

3. Steam? Man, where do people get this stuff?
No, there's a really big rubber band beneath the flight deck.

4. Yes, "technicians" can do anything. Sometimes, just for laughs, they set the airplane to only turn left.

5. The three-wire is preferred because the others aren't attached to anything.

You're welcome.

Ed
(Naval Aviation Expert)

p.s. \:D

#365921 - 02/07/05 02:08 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Hehehe. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Super Bug:
1. Is a pilot sitting at the second seat of 2-seater aircrafts, like SH, Tomcat and Phantom, able to control an aircraft ? Heard that he's a warfare officer responsible for selecting weapons, designating tagets, etc, thus I'm not sure whether he can control an aircraft in case of emergency.
I bleieve most combat-configured backseat cockpits have rudimentary flight controls (pitch and roll only). I don't know about throttle. Trainer cockpits of course have full controls.

Quote:
2. Why is there a box at the nose of Super Hornet (F)? Why not at SH (E) ? and what is it for ?
Don't know.

Quote:
3. What's transfering power to catapult ? Heard that it's just hot stream, is it true ?
Yep. Lots and lots of steam. It's generated by the ship's power plant, which on all CVNs is a nuclear reactor. (Question: are there any conventionally powered aircraft carriers still operational?)

Quote:
4. Was SH only designed for 7.5g environment ? Can technicians set her to 9.0g for some cases ?
7.5G is the normal airframe limit. In an emergency a pilot can initiate a G-limit override and increase the max avaialble G to 10G. In the sim you can do this by holding down the y key.

Quote:
5. Why do naval pilots wish to hook at 3-wire when landing ? Is there any advantage ?
On a carrier with 4 wires (i.e. any US carrier in service with the exception of the Ronald Reagan), the landing system is designed so that on a perfect approach the hook drops between the second and third wires. When the aircraft continues its forward motion, the hook grabs the third wire. Thus, if you fly a perfect approach, you will get a 3-wire, which means of course that if you get a three wire, you flew an approach that had the best possible outcome. (Note: if you are observant, you will notice that the Reagan in CVN-76, the carrier modeled in the sim. In the sim, it has 4 wires, because when the sim was developed no one knew at the time that anything different was planned.

#365922 - 02/07/05 02:45 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Bug:
Hello all,

Actually, I've been being in this boards for years but I still have some questions left unanswered in my mind regarding Super Hornet and/or naval aviation. Could you please help clarify ?

The questions are,

Okay, I think it's enough for releasing my doubt.

Thanks in advance for any comments and answers.

Best Rgds,
SB
NAvy aircraft in the Fleet have traditionally been made with no controls in the backseat.

There was a thread as to what is in the box in the nose, I forget, but it's there.

The conventional carriers that are still in service are CV-63 Kitty Hawk (which is relly the Constellation, but that's a long story) and CV-67 JFK (just returned from Iraq in December).

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#365923 - 02/07/05 03:18 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
Bright_Sky Offline
Bright_Sky  Offline

Woohoo!!! Thanks a lot everybody for spending your time answering my questions.

And, special thanks to efs2... \:D

#365924 - 02/07/05 05:29 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
Keithb77 Offline
Keithb77  Offline

UK
Isn't there a bit in the front of the FA-18 manual about 'mission-configured' two seaters without any rear-seat flying controls?

Bones - why is the Kitty Hawk really the Constellation?
The Connie was paid off last year.
Sad, as its the only carrier I've been aboard, in Seattle harbour around 1998.

How different was the Connie to the Reagan, tempted to try repainting the Sim carrier!

Cheers,
Keith

#365925 - 02/07/05 07:30 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Yeah, NYC prohibits Nukes in the harbor, so during the annual Fleet Week, we usually got either the AMERICA or the JFK. . Since the AMERICA was stricken in 1997-98, that left the Kennedy (I guess the PACFLEET CV's Constellation and Kitty Hawk wouldn't come to an Atlantic port) Lately, there have been only LPH, LHA in lieu of the big deck carriers.

Recluse

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#365926 - 02/07/05 11:21 PM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
BlackMage11 Offline
BlackMage11  Offline

Atlantic Beach, Florida
There are two conventional aircraft carriers left in the US arsenal. The USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) based here in lovely Jacksonville, Florida, and the USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) based in Okinawa, Japan. Fonzie is on the Kitty Hawk, correct?

SimHQ's Resident Distributor of Ownage
#365927 - 02/08/05 12:51 AM Re: Questions regarding naval aviation  
Fonzie01 Offline
Fonzie01  Offline

Atsugi, Japan
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackMage11:
There are two conventional aircraft carriers left in the US arsenal. The USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) based here in lovely Jacksonville, Florida, and the USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) based in Okinawa, Japan. Fonzie is on the Kitty Hawk, correct?
Yep, but the Kitty Hawk is based in Yokosuka. The air wing (CVW5) is based in Atsugi. Both are just south of Tokyo \:\)

that box on the nose can be found on later model E's, as well. it's an antenna for one of our newer toys.

the three wire is the target wire when all four wires are in battery. If they strip a wire, the LSO's can change the target wire and change the glideslope of the lens. The three is the primary target wire because it's the safest... farthest from the rounddown with another CDP to catch in case of a hook skip.

finally- there are no controls in the aft cockpit of a fleet F/A-18F. their were about 8 in the FRS with aft controls. we referred to these as "trainer configured" aircraft. Missionized birds are what you find in the fleet....

hope that helps!
-Fonz

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.