Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
#3657426 - 10/05/12 11:36 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
I Alt-Tabbed out again to get the coordinates out of the earlier thread and for the second time in a row, after at least 3 minutes out of the sim, when I go back in it is "Connection Interrupted". tc is in the mission and says he's had 4 hours uninterrupted flight.

---

The post with the ORB coordinates is on Page 19 - I emailed it to myself and copied and pasted into Notepad and printed it out.

It's showing on my second monitor, too - pretty handy. Too bad we can't Copy/Paste the coord's into the CDU! I wonder if there is a way to load a mission file with them?

WC

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3657539 - 10/06/12 05:06 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Welll, after turning on my Master Arm I still couldn't do any targeting so went back to the drawing board and fixed my Slew commands and now all seems to be right in Hello DCS World.

Eight of us were in Operation Rampant Bear for most of the evening. Good turn out, -- and now that I think about it, this is a Friday night. That is great connectivity. I did have 3-4 disconnects, 3 early on for Alt-Tab distractions, but for a Friday we were jammin.

WC

#3657571 - 10/06/12 07:43 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Eh boys...

Met up with Olaf earlier today for some tanker business and suffice to say my business is CLOSED. Fricken thing. Olaf was able to get half a tank and I must admit his patience knew no bounds when it came to waiting for me to tank. I connected for about 5 seconds- in 30 minutes of trying. Kudos Olaf for sticking by my side throughout. I appreciated it!

Olaf did point out, however, that despite my fix on the JTAC in that mission it didn't work. I'd put the hold on the start point, with a waypoint- and a hold order on the start point and it didn't work. Maybe they'll have that fixed tomorrow?

The server will be updated on an ALMOST daily basis... it will be updated daily while I'm home but maybe not when I'm gone...

Loads of fun to be had tonight. I have to admit when I walked into my "man-cave" and saw 7 guys in Teamspeak... I got pretty excited. I jumped in during the middle / end of Rampant Bear (east) ... a little mop up- crew dealing with his control issues which he eventually resolved (still think it was a bit of an excuse for BAD aim)- then the coolest thing I've done yet was a group takeoff with 5 planes... followed by joint operations with all 5 aircraft working together to devastate the opposition.

Then, with this BB radar chirping in the background... We were rejoining on Wheel (who was flight lead) heading north to give the boys at Sukumi the good news and I was having a bit of trouble with judging his speed- having overshot him a couple times... I'd just pulled back on him and was gaining- when suddenly he just exploded right in front of me- I mean... huge detonation- he was GONE. It really did take my brain only a fraction of a second and I remember breaking while punching out chaff (or whatever my last selected bundle was... might have been flares. I just hit CMS and hoped I'd had it set properly). I got hit hard by another SA-10 and lost both wings. I was out. Blindone was next (if I remember correctly)... so all three of us were there sailing down towards the (beautiful) water and just shaking our heads. No warning whatsoever. No spike on the RWR... no missile warning (too far away, we figure)...

Suffice to say we got a bit cocky about the SA-10... but that bish is here to stay and quite frankly... when the thing starts tracking you from whatever range... there is just no real telling when that hammer is going to come down on you. But... if it's coming down suffice to say you won't know it until someone blows up.

Had a fantastic time with you guys... the 97s and 87s and all related ordinance just devastates FPS... I'm sure that will make its way through to the powers that be... had a couple of connection errors but I got in eventually... A few little radio things... overall- GREAT experience.

On to business:

1.2.1 CELEBRATION FLY IN: SATURDAY... STARTING AT- well... whatever o'clock! The server runs 24 hours a day and tomorrow would be a great day to get everyone together. We'll need a mission that can keep everyone busy- iShot ran during the last one... but now we have a bigger group- So that's an option.

Personally, I like the Back to School mission- even with the adversarial nature. Thunder of K is great as well...

Operation Bactria is another one of my favourites but I'm not sure if the JTACs are going to work.

I expect that guys are going to show when they're going to show.

My GF had an interesting suggestion: How about a "significan't" other event- where our girlfriends, wives or whatever join in the fun for an hour of flight... Get them involved on TS3... and we see who is the best coach? Last one to die wins! You should have seen "Sweetest's" first take off... Someone needs to invent a big GONG smiley- so that I can use it here. Oh my god. It was once said that "The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare."

Well- in that same theory... our "precious" could, if given an infinite amount of time will almost surely fly an A-10C... perhaps even deliver ordinance. It HAS to be easier than delivering a BABY... RIGHT? ... yeah, anyway... it's funny to me. Especially with her sitting beside me as I type... she's already starting to flip through the manual just to spite me.

Anyway- just a thought. Maybe an interlude tomorrow?

Thoughts?

Last edited by eno75; 10/06/12 07:56 AM.
#3657689 - 10/06/12 02:56 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

5-6 hours of good, proper flight training ... without a SINGLE word on operating combat systems, nav systems, or anything else. Just proper flight training. I have two female cousins trained to fly the A-10C already. They weren't that interested in weapons delivery, but the flying part they do adequately. wink

Originally Posted By: eno75
Well- in that same theory... our "precious" could, if given an infinite amount of time will almost surely fly an A-10C... perhaps even deliver ordinance. It HAS to be easier than delivering a BABY... RIGHT? ... yeah, anyway... it's funny to me. Especially with her sitting beside me as I type... she's already starting to flip through the manual just to spite me.

Anyway- just a thought. Maybe an interlude tomorrow?

Thoughts?

--
44th VFW
#3657754 - 10/06/12 04:30 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Is that a challenge!? wink

Might be kind of fun for a walk through, takeoff and some flight instruction on proper trimming- stall recovery...

Anyway point being if there is a window where we want to let our better halfs take over together... Could be fun. Maybe I'm on mars-

Haven't checked the server yet but when I left goodkill was in there in rampant. I'm pondering about this whole server thing and wondering now if maybe it being our little secret isn't such a bad idea. Can host openly without locking- yet it's getting busier with just advertising it in here.

I don't like that you can't see it in history but direct ip connect isn't so bad either because it remembers your last anyway.

I did have some connectivity issues- I had my server on LAN speed and my comp on 512... Would keep erroring on me. I switched my comp to LAN and it worked flawlessly. Totally smooth. I'm connected to the LAN entry on the join menu- so perhaps that's why?

See you guys out there. I'll be in early then throughout the day.

Last edited by eno75; 10/06/12 04:31 PM.
#3657776 - 10/06/12 05:01 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Eh boys...

You should have seen "Sweetest's" first take off... Someone needs to invent a big GONG smiley- so that I can use it here. Oh my god.

That "Eh boys..." is pretty sexist IMO biggrin

shedevil Just wait 'till she gets her OWN SimHQ account.

---

Need to test out Bay Of Hogs - it's been way too long.

crew

#3657782 - 10/06/12 05:25 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Is that a challenge!? wink

I wish; they're both out of the country and very busy with studies/work :/
It would be kinda funny - pit your students against each other! biggrin

Quote:
Might be kind of fun for a walk through, takeoff and some flight instruction on proper trimming- stall recovery...

You have to start from the theory ... it's no good to just show them how to do a TO/Landing ... they have to understand the principles of flight - they have to know why there is lift, why a plane stalls, why you have to put back-stick pressure on when banking to keep a level turn, why you have to step on the ball, why the plane rolls when you put in rudder etc ... you need all that to become a good vPilot.

--
44th VFW
#3657811 - 10/06/12 06:32 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Well I've already thoroughly educated my better half in the finer concepts of flight- what are you waiting for? haha.

I see what you're saying... I just figured what with me putting "Sweetest" through her paces flying alone why not put her in a multiplayer server with others who are learning too. Kind of like how we go in and train together- some guys know what they're doing... some don't. Always adds a little to look around and see other "people" going about their business... taking off... landing... crashing (or all three at once).

CREW and I just checked on Bay of Hogs and it was working for awhile... sank some ships and no crashes. A MiG 25 knocked out one of my engines and I was able to land but not brake... Crew was blotted out of the sky like a number on a bingo card and we were both in various stages of getting back in the action when the server timed out.

We were going to keep testing the stability on that- not sure if that was a bug or my internet connection but TS3 stayed up throughout.

Anyone else up for an early afternoon start? Also looking for another solution to that JTAC problem... my original fix didn't work.

#3657814 - 10/06/12 06:37 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

So are you getting a lot of ping timeouts then?

--
44th VFW
#3657817 - 10/06/12 06:42 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Hmmmm I wouldn't say a lot- I think that was our first in awhile. Testing some new settings- still not quite sure which is the BEST... Even in theory- big speed means big packets/ less stability in the event of missed packets... Slower speed makes for smaller packets but less trouble when one gets lost.

I have the connection to support many players and want to ensure that the setting in game accommodates that potential. LAN? 1024? Or the reliable 512? Is that the BEST?

#3657819 - 10/06/12 06:45 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

If you are hosting then just use LAN. The server itself needs to use as much bandwidth as it can. Players connecting to the server should use whatever works.

Back in the days of FC1 for example we'd restrict the bandwidth to 128k for clients, IIRC, since that prevented any single client from dominating the transfer rates.

--
44th VFW
#3657831 - 10/06/12 07:12 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Some screenies of Olaf and I working at the gas station. Worked on some formation flying as well as tanking after we tested some effects of 87s and dumb bombs in the training side. JTAC still didn't work despite the above mentioned fix.

Also included... a fly-over from a training night a couple nights ago.

Olaf tucked in the back pocket like a wallet- I'm waiting on the left... according to Einstein those waiting to tank line up on the left and those tanked move to the right. Interesting!

#3657862 - 10/06/12 08:24 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
... according to Einstein those waiting to tank line up on the left and those tanked move to the right.

I remember reading they line up in some order, and it makes sense for there to be a convention. I picked the left to right for our flight since I didn't know for sure what was "right". Something else to ask Andy!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3657870 - 10/06/12 08:33 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: GrayGhost]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I just received word that using the LAN setting in general should reduce drop-outs.

Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
If you are hosting then just use LAN. The server itself needs to use as much bandwidth as it can. Players connecting to the server should use whatever works.

Back in the days of FC1 for example we'd restrict the bandwidth to 128k for clients, IIRC, since that prevented any single client from dominating the transfer rates.

--
44th VFW
#3657877 - 10/06/12 08:52 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Good to have ships back in the mix. These are from Bay Of Hogs - a quick flight between Novorossisyk and Gelendzhik, and a race to clear the Gelendzhik Bay before more warships arrive. Lots of F/A-18C, Harpoons, and Red ships battling it out in the first half hour or so.

Harpoons by the dozens, Water is on High -

A MiG-25 found me -

Eno gets 6 Mavs off toward the bay - unfortunately that little sailboat was in the way...

A Harpoon in Pop Up phase -

Eno takes it home on one engine -

It is an early morning mission (see the lines in the water - they went away with the diminishing Sun's reflection) -

Here's an odd paint scheme (Demo #24 - changed it to Army (Worn) after this shot, haven't checked it) -

Bay Of Hogs -

WC

#3657929 - 10/06/12 11:10 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
Hey Crew, do the Harpoons hit ships now or are have they fixed the jumping around the ships rather than hitting them thing? I haven't checked yet and just remembered after seeing your ship photos. That also looks like a fun mission!

#3657935 - 10/06/12 11:25 PM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Eh guys. Not sure what's up server side. I'm just off on rl assignment here. Just climbed a small mountain- now having sushi with "sweetest." be home in an hour so- get a solid 6pm pat start for some major flying!

#3658030 - 10/07/12 05:28 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Red pulled off a win in Back To School. General Vaz landed his helicopters at Beslan. Another staggering defeat for the Blue dogs. Their five little puppies were no match for the big Red dog ground assault and superior air tactics.

Skate is lured to his doom -

Eno crash lands in a field (why you ask?) -

General Vaz arrives -

crew

#3658043 - 10/07/12 07:01 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

I have my own story about that whole thing but it may need to wait. I will say this much- if our nation could recycle cardboard the way that crew recycled his aircraft we would be building skyscrapers out of cellulose by now.

That mission was SO much fun- yet SO dayum frustrating at times what with crew just needling at us in our mooshy parts- we'd be off working over a column or other enemy threat and he'd be working over our air base... Then he'd just choose to come over all of a sudden, and snipe at us. We got our licks in as well- but not enough licks it would seem.

There were some AWESOME dogfights- we were disadvantaged a little bit because we couldn't talk to each other while creating an ambush (red was on our channel)... but it still happened. In one instance, I got the drop on crew and he saw me... we both released weapons "emergency" at once- that HUGE FPS hit that happens when 97 / 87 hit the ground is unacceptable. I've never seen anything like it. THAT HAS to get fixed. Anyway- his munitions hit the ground- mine did as well (87s are worse, I think)... STarted yanking and banking... I had altitude- he didn't so I tried to preserve that. I think we reversed on one another 3 times before Wheel came in and hit him with guns... Out of nowhere. I wished I knew wheel was there because I could have baited crew without dropping all my junk all over the countryside.

I can't type this out now- that mission had some of the most amazing experiences I've ever had in the game. Bravo to crew for building that mission- I know he's going to fix a few triggers... but wow... still just awesome.

I especially liked that enemy forces took over our base and camped out... but we could still spawn there. Fortunately Einstein (yes, I have to blame this on someone) taught me how to disarm the safety on my gun when I'm on the ground. I was able to eradicate the enemy forces on the ground- while on the ground. Admittedly it did take some skill in applying thrust to lift the aimpoint up to hit some targets... I killed most while on the ground and (karma?) ended up hitting one from the air.

Oh- and sorry... apparently I hushed someone for swearing on the TS3... then I swore myself. I admit, we're all going to let one go eventually... we just really have to work hard to respect that some are on speakers and young / family ears are listening. We all encourage everyone to use reasonable language... and keep the real profanity under control.

I'm going through the track now... I can't WAIT for the AAR. It'll be my first so be patient.

Not everything was great- however. A couple of conspicuous bugs:

1) A long burst of cannon tended to boot multiple people from the server on a number of occasions. 2-3 second bursts resulted in errors.
2) There was some REALLY weird TGP business for (karma... frick- sorry man I forget your screen name)... it was just grey the whole time. Crew and I walked him through the whole gamut of fixes- but no joy. Never did get that figured out and- ain't war hell- while he was dealing with it crew snuffed him out of the sky.
3) That 97 / 87 animation just slams any performance to a halt. Not acceptable.
4) more to come as I remember...

Last edited by eno75; 10/07/12 07:10 AM.
#3658078 - 10/07/12 09:24 AM Re: Eno's Firehouse Crew Room... [Re: eno75]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Sorry boys...

I suspect that I'm about to be banned (edit... disregard- I've deleted my account or at least told them to) over at (A place) forums for getting sick and tired of people jumping down my throat for not submitting my error reports to the 30th degree as they desire- considering basically every file they need isn't supported by the upload system and when I try to upload files they do support (zip) they don't work- invalid file. So any error reporting is going to need to be done by someone with MUCH MORE patience than I have. Sorry if I've misrepresented the Firehouse but quite frankly if a site wants to have an error reporting system it would be nice if the damned thing worked the way it was supposed to. Anyway- I got frustrated, lost my mind at some of the replies I was getting- F them. Anyway... I was pretty content to accumulate data and submit it but the snide, sarcastic replies I was getting in return (if there were any at all) just pushed me over. Sure- I make a remark about not getting helped (a mouthy one, I admit) and sure enough guys stomp all over the place touting forum laws etc... but nobody to help me with the problem. Nobody to help US with the problem. Okay then... I'll wait for someone with better manners (X-Ray) to submit on my behalf. Okay, maybe TC... Crew... Well- basically anyone other than me.

I was pushing through the server issue (#$#$% it... I think we'll leave it alone) and the catastrophic hit to performance the CBU of any description cause in multiplayer play... and low and behold- I get told to better describe the problem.

Okay boys from (the) testors team- go drop a CBU and when your slide show starts YOU report the fricken thing.

GAH.

(Edit) Further to this- I've tried the code put in the thread suggested by skate- no joy. I've tried changing the port- no joy. I've tried many combinations thereof- no joy.

We have the best of both worlds- an open server with people from SimHQ attending... people we know and grow to like. If everything keeps running smooth- whatever. Quite frankly I enjoy it the way it is. Bring your friends... tell your friends to bring friends.

I wanted to TRY and get it fixed... thought maybe I'd stumbled into an easy one: (Public: False). Sadly, though it is there in the network.lua file- that didn't resolve it. Too bad eh?

Anyway- /rant.

Last edited by eno75; 10/07/12 10:31 AM.
Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.