Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3655516 - 10/03/12 03:07 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, as I posted before to demand they fix CloD and THEN proceed to buy the sequel makes no sense.
It's akin to demanding the dealership fix your car, and then once they do you trade it in for the newer model! Why bother?

Now if you're upset about the whole CloD ordeal, then by all means, do NOT buy the sequel and blast 1C and Ubi for releasing a broken sim that won't ever be what you were told it would be. NOT giving them your money again is all you can do. Or you can accept that they made a huge mistake and evaluate the sequel on its own merits.

However, contrary to Chivas' claim, I know MANY people who bought Il-2 on release, long before FB was ever announced let alone released. Many of them were here on SimHQ, not sure offhand how many still are here actually. There WAS a big outcry when FB was announced to be a separate install and the first Il-2 dead, but it wasn't that big in comparison.

Why?

In 2003 we all still remembered the 90s when you had new sims coming out YEARLY. There were frankly more than most people could afford to buy and certainly not to really play. If paid $50 and then got 10 hrs in it before you bought the next one, what was the point? Il-2's first release was at the tail end of that. Afterwards the "wait 3 years for another sim" idea became the standard, so now you want the sim you buy to be GOOD for 3 years!
I was still playing a good amount of EAW when Il-2 came out, 3 years later. By the time FB came out, I had stopped as it had gotten old (and the modding scene popped up later).

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3655724 - 10/03/12 07:47 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
Charlie_SB Offline
Charlie_SB  Offline

Personally I don't think there will ever be a BoM or any other sequel to CloD. I think that the current global economic situation will lead to harder times for publishers and force them to divert funding to projects with a broader mass appeal. Hopefully there will be some sensible decision to release the CloD code to an open source project and then have it take on a life like IL2 has now.

I hope I'm wrong but you can't ignore history and the current situation doesn't seem too sparkly. We can't all print new money when wallet gets a bit empty...

-C-

#3655847 - 10/03/12 10:34 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Jedi Master]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

However, contrary to Chivas' claim, I know MANY people who bought Il-2 on release, long before FB was ever announced let alone released. Many of them were here on SimHQ, not sure offhand how many still are here actually. There WAS a big outcry when FB was announced to be a separate install and the first Il-2 dead, but it wasn't that big in comparison.

The Jedi Master

Yep. Different screen name than I used to have, but I've still got copies (multiple) of the original IL2. I've also got copies (multiple) of FB and AEP. Luthier, et al. will never see another cent of mine until I am sure the "next greatest thing" is not a steaming pile of half baked MMO poo.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3655857 - 10/03/12 10:48 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Has anyone noticed that the Banana Forum has almost gone deathly silent since Ilya's post?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3655907 - 10/04/12 12:49 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
Deltahawkoz2004 Offline
Deltahawkoz2004  Offline

Ozzie
Re Illyas post, and the Banana forum going quiet, theres not too much more that can be added. I just hope that the final release patch goes some way to rectifying some of the more obvious faults. At the end of the day its an inexpensive piece of gaming software, played by a very small sub section of folk who play on their PCs. And there are still alternatives out there.

The lurker formerly known as Deltahawk and Deltahawk53
#3655944 - 10/04/12 01:42 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

I still don't understand why the first post in this thread by the thread creator is singling out one individual because he has been hopeful and explained, actually explained thoughtfully, his position on why he believes CoD can be fixed when the first paragraph and title is about Maddox Games' decisions and their product which the individual being targeted has no say in.

Almost like the first paragraph was just a smoke screen for the intended personal jab at one individual. Quite honestly, surprises me that is even allowed here.

admin edit - no personal insults

#3655968 - 10/04/12 02:20 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Merged with CoD or coming with the CoD content on-disc, the first thing is to see whether BoM will ever come out. I highly doubt it. It doesn't make me happy given that there is simply no alternative to it (I don't include some attempts to disguise pokey machines into ww2 sims by other competitors). If BoM actually ever comes out, I think they will really need to get a demo out if they ever hope to sell it - I'll certainly stick to that.

#3655977 - 10/04/12 02:31 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Jedi Master]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Yes, as I posted before to demand they fix CloD and THEN proceed to buy the sequel makes no sense.
It's akin to demanding the dealership fix your car, and then once they do you trade it in for the newer model! Why bother?

Now if you're upset about the whole CloD ordeal, then by all means, do NOT buy the sequel and blast 1C and Ubi for releasing a broken sim that won't ever be what you were told it would be. NOT giving them your money again is all you can do. Or you can accept that they made a huge mistake and evaluate the sequel on its own merits.

Why?

In 2003 we all still remembered the 90s when you had new sims coming out YEARLY. There were frankly more than most people could afford to buy and certainly not to really play. If paid $50 and then got 10 hrs in it before you bought the next one, what was the point? Il-2's first release was at the tail end of that. Afterwards the "wait 3 years for another sim" idea became the standard, so now you want the sim you buy to be GOOD for 3 years!
I was still playing a good amount of EAW when Il-2 came out, 3 years later. By the time FB came out, I had stopped as it had gotten old (and the modding scene popped up later).

The Jedi Master

Contrary to Chivas claim??

So what if there was a big outcry, did you expect to get the content of Forgotten Battles for free because you bought the initial release. Each release and patch included bug fixes, new and improved features aswell as maps and aircraft.

The original "IL-2 Sturmovik" came with several maps depicting the main battle areas of the Eastern Front, including

Moscow (summer and winter)
Berlin
Kuban
Crimea
Stalingrad (summer and winter)
Prokhorovka
Kursk
Smolensk

The sequel "Forgotten Battles" provided some further maps:

Gulf of Finland (summer and winter)
Balaton (summer and winter)
Lvov

The "Ace Expansion Pack" add-on for Forgotten Battles added the following maps:

Ardennes
Normandy (multiple versions)
A generic Pacific online map.

"Pacific Fighters" came with a plethora of maps for the Pacific Theater of Operations, such as:

Hawaii
Okinawa
Midway
New Guinea
Guadalcanal (two versions)
Kyushu
Iwo Jima
Chichi Jima
Wake Island
Tarawa
Coral Sea
Palau
Marianas
Singapore

The last add-on "1946" brought four more maps:

Manchuria
Khalkin Gol / Nomonhan
Burma
Kiev

Later, some patches came with user-generated maps:

Kurland (autumn and summer)
Murmansk (summer and winter)
Western Norway
Bessarabia (multiple versions; version 4.09)
Slovakia (summer and winter; version 4.09)
Solomon Islands (multiple versions; version 4.10)
Also, a lot of imaginary or generic landscapes were designed, such as "Northwest Europe", "Pacific Island", "Mountains", several "Deserts" and "Italy", mostly on smaller maps

Last edited by Chivas; 10/04/12 02:32 AM.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3655986 - 10/04/12 02:41 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
Merged with CoD or coming with the CoD content on-disc, the first thing is to see whether BoM will ever come out. I highly doubt it. It doesn't make me happy given that there is simply no alternative to it (I don't include some attempts to disguise pokey machines into ww2 sims by other competitors). If BoM actually ever comes out, I think they will really need to get a demo out if they ever hope to sell it - I'll certainly stick to that.

I doubt they will have time to make a demo. We will have to wait for reviews from people, or organizations we trust. I would certainly be interested in a SimHQ review if the reviewer has an intimate knowledge of WW2 combat flight sims, and IL-2 in particular. I'm also surprised the investors are still supporting the project, the Sequel will make or break their chances of ever seeing a return.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3656062 - 10/04/12 05:45 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
Greiss Offline
Greiss  Offline

Olympia, WA
I bought the $60 piece of garbage from 1C. Played it all of 2 1/2 hours before I knew it was a P.O.S. Won't be purchasing the sequel until somebody from Russia pulls their head out of their fourth point of contact.

Sad, considering I purchased the whole lot from the original IL-2 series.

Last edited by Greiss; 10/04/12 05:45 AM.

Flying as "Greiss"

System specs:
I7 920 oc'd @4.0GHZ
6GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX260
Asus P6T MB
#3656081 - 10/04/12 07:28 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: NattyIced]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: NattyIced
I still don't understand why the first post in this thread by the thread creator is singling out one individual because he has been hopeful and explained, actually explained thoughtfully, his position on why he believes CoD can be fixed when the first paragraph and title is about Maddox Games' decisions and their product which the individual being targeted has no say in.

Almost like the first paragraph was just a smoke screen for the intended personal jab at one individual. Quite honestly, surprises me that is even allowed here.
admin edit: no personal attacks

Take a deep breath Natty...in...out. With Chivas it didn't really start out as a "hopeful" opinion, it was more of an assurance about how patches and expansions would work. It just seemed anytime anyone voiced "concerns" about the game, Chivas was quick to give us a "beat down" and tell us how it was going to be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for the first year or more, it seemed we were being flogged by Chivas for being skeptical.

As for your "colorful" last sentence, your entitled to your opinion, but I would say your skirting with breaking the forum rules. You can call someone out for what they have posted here and question it(which I have done), but your not suppose to attack someone personally(which you have done).

Maybe if you brush up on the forum rules you would realize this?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3656091 - 10/04/12 08:02 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
There is a hot patch ready

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3656102 - 10/04/12 08:48 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: NattyIced]  
Tonester Offline
Tonester  Offline

Perth West Aust

admin edit: no personal attacks

Thats Gold!!!!...lmao

Intel i7 9700KF  Processor 3.60 GHz - ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX Motherboard - Win 10 Pro 64 bit - 32Gb G.Skill Sniper X 3600MHz DDR4 Ram - RTX2080 Super Dual OC 8Gb -  Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 1TB SSD - Samsung 860 QVO 7mm 2.5" 2TB SSD - TM Cougar - 2 x Saitek Quadrants - Saitek Yoke - Saitek Pedals - CH Quadrant - TrackIR 5.0 - Phillips 32” Monitor - HyperX 7.1 Headset - HP Reverb Pro
#3656136 - 10/04/12 10:53 AM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: NattyIced]  
Bobbi Offline
Bobbi  Offline

Yep, but good luck bailing

I inquired about this on beta forums but the devs are mainly active on russian forums.

Hope they will implement this for world war.

Belly land you can.

#3656189 - 10/04/12 01:24 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
You guys still seem to be getting along reasonably well - so I'm not going to step in. Of course, terms like dickheaded aren't acceptable.

Also, if you have issues or suggestions regarding moderating - please send a PM to the mdoerators or use the 'notify' button. I'm happy to discuss improvements to our approach - but not on the open forum.

#3656272 - 10/04/12 03:31 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Dickheadedness is a behaviour one chooses to engage in, while a dickhead could be considered a direct insult.

Hey we all are prone to dickheadedness at one time or another. Doesn't make us a dickhead

Nice call Avimimus smile

#3656373 - 10/04/12 05:49 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: bisher]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Just about sums it up.

Last edited by Biggles07; 10/04/12 06:09 PM.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3656408 - 10/04/12 06:33 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Force10]  
kendo Offline
kendo  Offline

There are so many half-truths and mistakes being passed off as fact in this thread that I'm seriously wondering how many of you actually bothered reading Luthier's answers all the way through.

I'd advise everyone not to jump to conclusions about future plans for the series based on the misinformation that is flying around at the moment.

Sorry, I'm not usually so dismissive of other people's opinions, but a lot of you need to go back and read all the answers again so that you get what he is actually saying and not what you think he is saying.

I was a big critic of their slowness in getting the answers up - but if so many people are going to misinterpret them when they finally appear then I really have to ask what the point was?

Last edited by kendo; 10/04/12 06:36 PM.
#3656463 - 10/04/12 07:39 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: Chivas]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Chivas

However, contrary to Chivas' claim, I know MANY people who bought Il-2 on release,

The Jedi Master

Contrary to Chivas claim??

So what if there was a big outcry, did you expect to get the content of Forgotten Battles for free because you bought the initial release. Each release and patch included bug fixes, new and improved features aswell as maps and aircraft.

The original "IL-2 Sturmovik" came with several maps depicting the main battle areas of the Eastern Front, including

Moscow (summer and winter)
Berlin
Kuban
Crimea
Stalingrad (summer and winter)
Prokhorovka
Kursk
Smolensk

The sequel "Forgotten Battles" provided some further maps:

Gulf of Finland (summer and winter)
Balaton (summer and winter)
Lvov

The "Ace Expansion Pack" add-on for Forgotten Battles added the following maps:

Ardennes
Normandy (multiple versions)
A generic Pacific online map.

"Pacific Fighters" came with a plethora of maps for the Pacific Theater of Operations, such as:

Hawaii
Okinawa
Midway
New Guinea
Guadalcanal (two versions)
Kyushu
Iwo Jima
Chichi Jima
Wake Island
Tarawa
Coral Sea
Palau
Marianas
Singapore

The last add-on "1946" brought four more maps:

Manchuria
Khalkin Gol / Nomonhan
Burma
Kiev

Later, some patches came with user-generated maps:

Kurland (autumn and summer)
Murmansk (summer and winter)
Western Norway
Bessarabia (multiple versions; version 4.09)
Slovakia (summer and winter; version 4.09)
Solomon Islands (multiple versions; version 4.10)
Also, a lot of imaginary or generic landscapes were designed, such as "Northwest Europe", "Pacific Island", "Mountains", several "Deserts" and "Italy", mostly on smaller maps

I edited my post here so you can see what I meant when I said "contrary to your claim", which IIRC was that few people bought Il-2 before FB came out.

WTH are you going on about???

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3656510 - 10/04/12 08:52 PM Re: So, it's just the middle finger for COD customers? [Re: bisher]  
Antiloop Offline
Antiloop  Offline

Don't mind me. Just cruising by...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.