Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » IL-2: Cliffs of Dover » REDUX, modded stock RAF campaign: Mission 5/6/7 AARs now up. Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3654577 - 10/02/12 04:05 AM REDUX, modded stock RAF campaign: Mission 5/6/7 AARs now up.
HeinKill Offline

Loc: Denmark

The RAF campaign REDUX

Mission design and storyline by Heinkill
Scripting by Bolox and Gabuzomeu
Beta testing by EAF92_Splash, Slot, and W1ndy.

Welcome to this ‘redux’ version of the stock Cliffs of Dover RAF campaign.

Why a ‘redux’? Well, quite simply because the original plot of the RAF campaign read like it was written by a 20 year old Japanese console gamer and in the developers’ rush to get the game on the market many of the missions were either badly designed or just plain broken.

The user community and 3rd party developers have stepped in and filled the campaign gap with some highly entertaining and professional single player content, but it is still offputting to new players that the stock campaign that comes with the game is just so…terrible.

What has been redone?

The entire plot of the campaign has been rewritten. The campaign is now inspired by the career of real life BoB pilot ‘Red’ McColpin, one of the first US airmen to serve with the RAF in WWII.

Clear mission success and failure criteria have been created, together with an innovative system that displays the player’s and squadron’s kills and losses during the mission and throughout the campaign, and awards medals for campaign progress.

Regarding historical accuracy, an attempt has been made to recreate a sense of history as the campaign unfolds, with authentic Ministry of Defence RAF Fighter Command campaign combat reports used to provide the player with an end of day summary of theatre wide events at the end of each mission. You will relive the terrible events of summer 1940, just as they happened.

Finally, the landscape of SE England and France has been populated so that the previously empty ports of Dover, Folkestone and Calais, and combat stations Tangmere and Manston have been made into living locations, bustling with activity.

The team behind the Redux campaign mod has thoroughly enjoyed working to bring this to you. We hope you enjoy using it, as much as we enjoyed building it.

Heinkill
Bolox
Gabuzomeu
EAF92_Splash
Slot
W1ndy

35MB download here: https://www.box.com/s/qohp1pjtokf4s84a7kgc

or

ZIP file (also containing self installer) at Airwarfare website: http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/down...ed-raf-campaign

So it was that the war in the air began. Men rode upon the whirlwind that night and slew and fell like archangels. The sky rained heroes upon the astonished earth. Surely the last fights of mankind were the best. What was the heavy pounding of your Homeric swordsmen, what was the creaking charge of chariots, besides this swift rush, this crash, this giddy triumph, this headlong sweep to death?

H. G. Wells, 'The World Set Free,' 1914.

#3654588 - 10/02/12 05:34 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
EAF_92 Whiskey Offline

Loc: Suffolk, UK
Thanks Heinkill, looking forward to this. Hopefully it will take some of the pain out of the latest patch debacle.

Cheers,

WB.

#3654589 - 10/02/12 05:39 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
DaveP63 Online   cool

Loc: Indiana, USA
notworthy

#3654602 - 10/02/12 06:52 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
theOden Offline

Since AI no longer roll like a x-wing on tai-fighter fuel, this could be very interesting.
Thanks alot for the effort Heinkill.

#3654686 - 10/02/12 10:02 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
bolox Offline

Looks interesting cheers

so you finally got your head round the scripting malarky?

#3654688 - 10/02/12 10:08 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Sweet! I do like a redux.

Looking forward to this

#3654722 - 10/02/12 10:46 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: bolox]
HeinKill Offline

Originally Posted By: bolox
Looks interesting cheers

So you finally got your head round the scripting malarky?

No, still a scripting virgin!

The scripts already in place for the 1C missions are v simple, they just set basic victory conditions. I have left them in place and keep that part of the missions intact. They don't seem to use triggers or spawns ie they don't make use of their own potential with scripts. No surprise there.

T

So it was that the war in the air began. Men rode upon the whirlwind that night and slew and fell like archangels. The sky rained heroes upon the astonished earth. Surely the last fights of mankind were the best. What was the heavy pounding of your Homeric swordsmen, what was the creaking charge of chariots, besides this swift rush, this crash, this giddy triumph, this headlong sweep to death?

#3655396 - 10/03/12 08:05 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
naz Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Nice Heinkill. cheers

#3655959 - 10/03/12 10:05 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
Chivas Offline

Loc: B.C. Canada
Thanks Heinkill, I just might start flying again when you release the campaign. My guess is the original campaign builders probably weren't as knowledgeable on the history of the Battle of Britain, not to mention having to work with even more "unfinished" game engine than it is now. It will be interesting to see how BlackSix's Russian campaigns are judged in the Sequel, as he must have a decent knowledge of those campaigns, and a much more complete game engine to work with.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60 gig Corsair SSD [with only COD and dual boot OP system]
500 gig HHD
LG 37" LCD
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip

#3664420 - 10/17/12 09:31 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]
HeinKill Offline

Updated with more info on the 'lead character' in the campaign - 'Red' McColpin

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.dk/2012/10/new-modded-version-of-stock-raf.html

In doing the research I came across this very interesting factoid from a later part of his career where he claimed 3 FW190 without a single shot fired! You can read more about him in the link. Interesting guy.

HEADQUARTERS
404TH Fighter Group
APO 595
US Army
28 August 1944
A. Type of action : Combat
B. Date : 27 August 1944
C. Unit : 404th Fighter Group, 506th Fighter Squadron (??)
D. Time of Attack : 14:30
E. Place : Coulommiers
F. Weather : 7/10 at 8000 hazy
G. Type of target : E/A (enemy aircraft) FW 190s
H. Claim : 3 FW 190s destroyed

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. At approximately 1450 just east of Coulommiers, I was flying on a course of 270 degrees heading home, altitude 50 feet, when I noticed 4 FW190s starting an attack on me from my right beam. I did not notice them due to the haze until they were within about 2000 yards. I turned right into their first attack. They split up into pairs, the second pair passing over me then attacking from my left forcing me to reverse my initial turn back to the left. They kept up these attacks from alternate sides for approximately 5 passes, firing on each pass. By this time my speed was well down due the tight turns, and they were forced into a lufberry with my aircraft leading. As this all occurred at tree top height, I used the trees as cover as much as possible during the turns. On about the 2nd circle I passed between two rows of trees, just making the entrance; the No 1. man behind me didn't make it, crashing into the trees. I then started to reduce speed down to approximately 120 m.p.h. using 1/3rd flaps and tightened my turn a bit more. After about 10 more circles, I was beginning to get onto the last man's tail. Just as I was getting deflection on him the E/A in front of him did a half snap roll, stalling out of his turn and hit the ground. Immediately afterwards the E/A in front of me also snapped onto his back and crashed, probably due to the incident in front of him or his hitting prop wash. Some time during this incident I lost track of the 4th E/A. I weaved all over looking for him but with no success. I continued on at tree top height using lots of power, heading for home as numerous other enemy aircraft were still in the area and my gas was a bit low by then. I noticed that after I used flaps and reduced speed below 130-140 mph the E/A started having trouble in their turns, enabling em to out turn them.

I claim 3 FW 190s destroyed.

Carroll W. McColpin
Colonel, Air Corps.

(Pilots who saw him on the way to his debrief had no doubt about his achievement, the Colonel's flying gear was absolutely soaked through with sweat following the challenging flying experience he had been through and he looked absolutely exhausted.)

I also like his orders to the 404th fighter group on D-Day, where he personally flew 4 sorties

McColpin's orders to the 404th on D Day were explicit and precise:-

. . The red-haired, red moustached colonel shifted slowly back and forth, his hands in his pockets, a cigar-stub in his mouth. He took it out of his mouth to talk, as he thought between words it moved erratically up and down. When he looked up, his small blue eyes seemed to look directly into yours, calmly, impressively.

. .. ."The infantry will have trouble enough landing and getting inland," he said, "without being bothered by enemy aircraft. Sixteen pilots and planes, or thirty two, or forty eight, would be a cheap price to pay, to keep the beaches free . . If your plane develops mechanical trouble, come home. If a fight develops you will stay there till the last enemy plane is driven away, even if you run out of gas and have to come down in the sea. If you run out of ammunition, ram 'em . . ."

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Got my next motorcycle all picked out...
by Magnum
6 minutes 42 seconds ago
Steel Beasts ProPE - AAR - Breathing Space
by JC______
38 minutes 31 seconds ago
To Steam or not to Steam...
by Chucky
Today at 07:54 AM
DCS: Mig-15Bis
by Silver_Dragon
Today at 05:54 AM
Curtiss P-40c 41-13357
by Mauld
Today at 05:11 AM
Can someone make a abstract about this sim?
by Stratos
Today at 03:47 AM
Military Monday - 28th July
by Meatsheild
Today at 02:58 AM
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition at GOG for $2.39
by MarkG
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
Back Pain
by Linebacker
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Flanders In Flames Online War (North America)
by JG1Klaiber
Yesterday at 10:06 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.