Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3654577 - 10/02/12 08:05 AM REDUX, modded stock RAF campaign: Mission 5/6/7 AARs now up.  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

The RAF campaign REDUX

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17874

Mission design and storyline by Heinkill
Scripting by Bolox and Gabuzomeu
Beta testing by EAF92_Splash, Slot, and W1ndy.

Welcome to this ‘redux’ version of the stock Cliffs of Dover RAF campaign.

Why a ‘redux’? Well, quite simply because the original plot of the RAF campaign read like it was written by a 20 year old Japanese console gamer and in the developers’ rush to get the game on the market many of the missions were either badly designed or just plain broken.

The user community and 3rd party developers have stepped in and filled the campaign gap with some highly entertaining and professional single player content, but it is still offputting to new players that the stock campaign that comes with the game is just so…terrible.

What has been redone?

The entire plot of the campaign has been rewritten. The campaign is now inspired by the career of real life BoB pilot ‘Red’ McColpin, one of the first US airmen to serve with the RAF in WWII.

Clear mission success and failure criteria have been created, together with an innovative system that displays the player’s and squadron’s kills and losses during the mission and throughout the campaign, and awards medals for campaign progress.

Regarding historical accuracy, an attempt has been made to recreate a sense of history as the campaign unfolds, with authentic Ministry of Defence RAF Fighter Command campaign combat reports used to provide the player with an end of day summary of theatre wide events at the end of each mission. You will relive the terrible events of summer 1940, just as they happened.

Finally, the landscape of SE England and France has been populated so that the previously empty ports of Dover, Folkestone and Calais, and combat stations Tangmere and Manston have been made into living locations, bustling with activity.

The team behind the Redux campaign mod has thoroughly enjoyed working to bring this to you. We hope you enjoy using it, as much as we enjoyed building it.

Heinkill
Bolox
Gabuzomeu
EAF92_Splash
Slot
W1ndy

35MB download here: https://www.box.com/s/qohp1pjtokf4s84a7kgc

or

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17874

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3654588 - 10/02/12 09:34 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
EAF_92 Whiskey Offline
EAF_92 Whiskey  Offline

Suffolk, UK
Thanks Heinkill, looking forward to this. Hopefully it will take some of the pain out of the latest patch debacle.

Cheers,

WB.

I'm Spartacus.
#3654589 - 10/02/12 09:39 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
notworthy

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3654602 - 10/02/12 10:52 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Since AI no longer roll like a x-wing on tai-fighter fuel, this could be very interesting.
Thanks alot for the effort Heinkill.

#3654686 - 10/02/12 02:02 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

Looks interesting cheers

so you finally got your head round the scripting malarky?

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#3654688 - 10/02/12 02:08 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Sweet! I do like a redux.

Looking forward to this

#3654722 - 10/02/12 02:46 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: bolox]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: bolox
Looks interesting cheers

So you finally got your head round the scripting malarky?

No, still a scripting virgin!

The scripts already in place for the 1C missions are v simple, they just set basic victory conditions. I have left them in place and keep that part of the missions intact. They don't seem to use triggers or spawns ie they don't make use of their own potential with scripts. No surprise there.

T

[Linked Image]
#3655396 - 10/03/12 12:05 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
naz Offline
naz  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Nice Heinkill. cheers

#3655959 - 10/04/12 02:05 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Thanks Heinkill, I just might start flying again when you release the campaign. My guess is the original campaign builders probably weren't as knowledgeable on the history of the Battle of Britain, not to mention having to work with even more "unfinished" game engine than it is now. It will be interesting to see how BlackSix's Russian campaigns are judged in the Sequel, as he must have a decent knowledge of those campaigns, and a much more complete game engine to work with.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3664420 - 10/17/12 01:31 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Updated with more info on the 'lead character' in the campaign - 'Red' McColpin

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.dk/2012/10/new-modded-version-of-stock-raf.html

In doing the research I came across this very interesting factoid from a later part of his career where he claimed 3 FW190 without a single shot fired! You can read more about him in the link. Interesting guy.

HEADQUARTERS
404TH Fighter Group
APO 595
US Army
28 August 1944
A. Type of action : Combat
B. Date : 27 August 1944
C. Unit : 404th Fighter Group, 506th Fighter Squadron (??)
D. Time of Attack : 14:30
E. Place : Coulommiers
F. Weather : 7/10 at 8000 hazy
G. Type of target : E/A (enemy aircraft) FW 190s
H. Claim : 3 FW 190s destroyed

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. At approximately 1450 just east of Coulommiers, I was flying on a course of 270 degrees heading home, altitude 50 feet, when I noticed 4 FW190s starting an attack on me from my right beam. I did not notice them due to the haze until they were within about 2000 yards. I turned right into their first attack. They split up into pairs, the second pair passing over me then attacking from my left forcing me to reverse my initial turn back to the left. They kept up these attacks from alternate sides for approximately 5 passes, firing on each pass. By this time my speed was well down due the tight turns, and they were forced into a lufberry with my aircraft leading. As this all occurred at tree top height, I used the trees as cover as much as possible during the turns. On about the 2nd circle I passed between two rows of trees, just making the entrance; the No 1. man behind me didn't make it, crashing into the trees. I then started to reduce speed down to approximately 120 m.p.h. using 1/3rd flaps and tightened my turn a bit more. After about 10 more circles, I was beginning to get onto the last man's tail. Just as I was getting deflection on him the E/A in front of him did a half snap roll, stalling out of his turn and hit the ground. Immediately afterwards the E/A in front of me also snapped onto his back and crashed, probably due to the incident in front of him or his hitting prop wash. Some time during this incident I lost track of the 4th E/A. I weaved all over looking for him but with no success. I continued on at tree top height using lots of power, heading for home as numerous other enemy aircraft were still in the area and my gas was a bit low by then. I noticed that after I used flaps and reduced speed below 130-140 mph the E/A started having trouble in their turns, enabling em to out turn them.

I claim 3 FW 190s destroyed.

Carroll W. McColpin
Colonel, Air Corps.

(Pilots who saw him on the way to his debrief had no doubt about his achievement, the Colonel's flying gear was absolutely soaked through with sweat following the challenging flying experience he had been through and he looked absolutely exhausted.)

I also like his orders to the 404th fighter group on D-Day, where he personally flew 4 sorties

McColpin's orders to the 404th on D Day were explicit and precise:-

. . The red-haired, red moustached colonel shifted slowly back and forth, his hands in his pockets, a cigar-stub in his mouth. He took it out of his mouth to talk, as he thought between words it moved erratically up and down. When he looked up, his small blue eyes seemed to look directly into yours, calmly, impressively.

. .. ."The infantry will have trouble enough landing and getting inland," he said, "without being bothered by enemy aircraft. Sixteen pilots and planes, or thirty two, or forty eight, would be a cheap price to pay, to keep the beaches free . . If your plane develops mechanical trouble, come home. If a fight develops you will stay there till the last enemy plane is driven away, even if you run out of gas and have to come down in the sea. If you run out of ammunition, ram 'em . . ."

[Linked Image]
#3664431 - 10/17/12 01:47 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
That's a good read HeinKill. thanks

#3664486 - 10/17/12 02:54 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You are going to put me straight back in the cockpit when you finish this! Looking forward to it! smile

#3664939 - 10/18/12 05:50 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Thx. Currently 'load balancing' the missions so they run smoothly. My theory has always been if they run smoothly at around 30 fps on my mid range rig at medium settings, they will run for most. I am using patch 1.09 plus hotfix as the base. Over the Channel this allows furballs of about 50 aircraft before slowdowns. Over the coast with objects, shipping, this is lower...about 30 but this is still enough to allow for decent ground activity, and engagements. Nearly there.

[Linked Image]
#3664962 - 10/18/12 06:33 AM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Great read Heinkill.

IF they ever get to the Pacific again with one of the expansions or updates you can model something similar for Saburo Sakai.

Quote:
Source: http://www.hotlinecy.com/sakai.htm

Q: How was it flying with a blind eye?

A: I can say that it was difficult. Only twice had I ever been caught unawares by my enemy, and the second time was on 24 June 1944 when we flew from Iwo Jima to intercept an inbound force of American planes. This was also when I first met the new Grumman F6F Hellcat, a very formidable fighter. I shot one down, but I was lucky because I never saw the enemy flight approach on my blind side. My peripheral vision was gone. This was when I took off the straps of my parachute harness so I could turn my head around and see things more. As soon as I did this I saw perhaps six Hellcats on my tail, and I began all of my tricks to throw them off. I was lucky, because I don’t think they had much experience against an experienced fighter pilot. I reduced power, they overshot and I increased throttle and turned right inside them. I was on their tail and I shot down another one, but then there were more on me! I pulled away, rolled over into a dive to get away. Then later I pulled out, but found myself surrounded by fifteen Hellcats, and this was amazing, because these aircraft matched me turn and spiral at every maneuver. No other enemy aircraft I had ever fought could do this, and I learned at that time my old tricks were of no use; this plane could perhaps not turn inside the Zero, but it could pull every other maneuver, and it was faster than our 350 miles per hour and could take much more damage and still fly. What saved me was the fact that these pilots were very new. Had they been the veterans of before I would have been dead many times over. I was in this fight for almost half an hour, me alone against possibly twenty enemy planes, of which I had shot down two and damaged another, but they would not let me go. I must have been something of a novelty to them, given the fact that they had been used to killing inexperienced teenagers. Now it seemed that these were also the same caliber of pilots firing at me from incredible distances. They never had a chance of hitting me. It seemed that they just wanted to keep me in the area, and the law of averages would allow them to win.

Q: How did you get out of it?

A: I headed for Iwo and hoped that the air defenses would provide some cover, and they did, and I headed for a large cloud. I was completely exhausted, and I knew that my days of flying combat were over. Then after I entered the cloud I was in a storm, and this took the controls away from me. I plunged and lost altitude, the fighter falling backward, upside down, and all kinds of crazy positions. Finally I fell below the cloud and was able to locate the airfield and land. When my fighter came to a stop I learned that the entire base watched the battle, and they were certain that I was dead, but when I managed to escape all of the fighters trying to kill me that was when they opened up the anti-aircraft guns. They did not want to run the risk of hitting me by mistake. That was an expensive day for us, despite our victories; because forty of our fighters were lost I battle. But I think that the most ironic thing to happen was the fact that I was in a long combat against all those enemy fighters, yet my Zero did not have a single bullet hole in it. However, the engine was worthless after that. In three battles we were down to seventy-one fighters from eighty and we only had eight twin-engine bombers left. Our force had been wiped out, despite our kills against the American fighters, whose aircraft and pilots seemed to be replaced as if by magic. It was after this that we were given the orders that created the Kamikaze, and those of us who were left were to form these ranks.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3665087 - 10/18/12 01:07 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
I loved reading Saburo's adventures. Another good read. Thanks Wheels

#3665100 - 10/18/12 01:26 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Yes, I have an original 'Kimber pocket edition' of his book, 'Samurai', a great read!

#3665109 - 10/18/12 01:50 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
FlatSpinMan Offline
FlatSpinMan  Offline

Land of the Rising Sun
Hilarious reading your comments and improvements over the original campaign that shipped with CloD.

#3665184 - 10/18/12 04:40 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
W1ndy Offline
W1ndy  Offline

I'll be loading this one up too . Thanks

#3665220 - 10/18/12 05:43 PM Re: Coming soon...modded stock RAF campaign [Re: HeinKill]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
I need this. Looks like a really good reason for testing COD again.
Thanks in advance!

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3665352 - 10/18/12 08:48 PM Re: Modded stock RAF campaign: update on progress [Re: HeinKill]  
Slot Offline
Slot  Offline

Oxford, England
Looking good, can't wait to try.

Heck just spotted final CoD patch is now updating via steam.
Here we go...

i5-2500k@4.6MHZ, msip67a gd53, 8 GB RAM, msi660ti 2GB, 1920x1200, Win7-64, Saitek Evo FFB, TIR5.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.