Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3643229 - 09/12/12 11:09 PM Finally tried this out...  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
Didn't accomplish much. Why can't you spawn with an axe? That's not asking too much. Anyway...I spawned somewhere on the coast, not sure where, then headed inland in search of *anything* of use. Zs were around all the structure that I snuck near, I had the bad luck of only finding closed structures. Inevitably one of them spotted me gave me a whack and I started bleeding (one of the fat ones with a beret). Applied my only bandage (at least I think I did). Still bleeding. Ran toward another structure hoping to find a bandage, nope, another closed building. Flashing red blood marker, shakes and blurred vision, no other structures in sight. Lay down under a bush and that was it. (actually went in and tucked my son into bed). Very challenging! I didn't see any other players even though there were supposed to be 40 or so on there. Maybe they were LTAO through scopes or something.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3643241 - 09/12/12 11:35 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I understand the axe thing, but do you have a axe on you or within reach in real life?

The buildings that you can go in have clear windows. Alot of times the red/green houses have loot in their entryway. The black log cabin type houses have loot, so do the 2 story red brick houses.

#3643263 - 09/13/12 12:16 AM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Best thing to do Harry is to join up on Teamspeak and several of us "veteran" players are more than willing to come and help you get off the coast or we will talk you around the map so you can learn on your own.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3643348 - 09/13/12 04:15 AM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: HarryM
Didn't accomplish much. Why can't you spawn with an axe? That's not asking too much. Anyway...I spawned somewhere on the coast, not sure where, then headed inland in search of *anything* of use. Zs were around all the structure that I snuck near, I had the bad luck of only finding closed structures. Inevitably one of them spotted me gave me a whack and I started bleeding (one of the fat ones with a beret). Applied my only bandage (at least I think I did). Still bleeding. Ran toward another structure hoping to find a bandage, nope, another closed building. Flashing red blood marker, shakes and blurred vision, no other structures in sight. Lay down under a bush and that was it. (actually went in and tucked my son into bed). Very challenging! I didn't see any other players even though there were supposed to be 40 or so on there. Maybe they were LTAO through scopes or something.

Ever hear the phrase “War is long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror”?

In my opinion, that’s DayZ in a nutshell. The only problem is that DayZ isn't a war game!

If you want to waste hours upon hours upon hours scavenging around for “loot”, then keep playing DayZ sleepy

#3643352 - 09/13/12 04:28 AM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Snap Offline
Veteran
Snap  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, he's right. It isn't a war game. It's a survival game. Someone probably has your back in a war game. Good luck in DayZ!

#3643412 - 09/13/12 10:25 AM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: Falstar]  
Ojokoltsa Offline
Ojokoltsa  Offline

Originally Posted By: Falstar
[...]do you have a axe on you or within reach in real life?

In fact, I have many different things within reach in real life I could harm or kill someone else with. Thing is, there are no freakin' zombies in real life! (Well, except for all the many consume-zombies, of course).

I totally agree with Harry: taking away the pistol the player had after spawning when DayZ was still fresh was one of the worst decisions in my opinion.

It's not like that the pistol enabled the player to go on a killing spree. But at least he or she had the chance to defend him-/herself in case needed.

Harry, it's possible to survive this game without a weapon- if you know where to look for and find the stuff you need to survive. Best bet in my opinion are always supermarkets. But then you'd need to know how they look like and where to find them. wink If you haven't given up on DayZ already, I can only repeat what Reschke said: join the team and learn the ropes from them. In my opinion, it changes the DayZ experience entirely.

MoBo: MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 4x3.40GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL8 8GB Kit | GPU: MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC 1GB DDR5 | SND: AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 2G | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550W | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB – ArchLinux | HDD: WD Caviar Green 1000GB (Data) | DVD-RW: Pioneer DVR-218L | Sony Optiarc AD-7240S
#3643444 - 09/13/12 12:04 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Michiel Offline
Senior Junior Member
Michiel  Offline
Senior Junior Member

The Netherlands
it is very helpful to join the teamspeak server.
if your in luck, they will pick you up in the chopper from the beach ;-)
most awesome ride i ever had.

went to the airport yesterday, and had a look around not much stuff i could use, besides a bigger backpack and some
pistal SD rounds, really need to find some more rifle SD round.
had high hopes of finding them there, but no such luck.
got a nvg set, sadly it was a full moon ;-(

have to go back the next time. (on a low people server)

a very senior junior member ;-)
#3643446 - 09/13/12 12:06 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: Ojokoltsa]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Ojokoltsa
Originally Posted By: Falstar
[...]do you have a axe on you or within reach in real life?

In fact, I have many different things within reach in real life I could harm or kill someone else with. Thing is, there are no freakin' zombies in real life! (Well, except for all the many consume-zombies, of course).

I totally agree with Harry: taking away the pistol the player had after spawning when DayZ was still fresh was one of the worst decisions in my opinion.

It's not like that the pistol enabled the player to go on a killing spree. But at least he or she had the chance to defend him-/herself in case needed.

Harry, it's possible to survive this game without a weapon- if you know where to look for and find the stuff you need to survive. Best bet in my opinion are always supermarkets. But then you'd need to know how they look like and where to find them. wink If you haven't given up on DayZ already, I can only repeat what Reschke said: join the team and learn the ropes from them. In my opinion, it changes the DayZ experience entirely.

Then you my friend are way more perpared than me. If something was to happen when out and about, even in my car, the tire iron is no longer tucked under the seat, like in the old cars, but tucked away in the trunk.

#3643467 - 09/13/12 12:36 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
marsvb Offline
marsvb  Offline

united states
Best bet is getting hooked up with folks on t/s for sure, steep learning curve in this game from the gear to the movement keys. The problem is where to look and when to cut your losses and just run for it :}

And the weapon thing is a bugger, in real life a chair would do a great job on a slow zed in a house, as would a table, heavy picture frame, brick, hey even just closing the door , LOL

I think the ax would be a great option on startup so guys can learn the zeds at close range. Once you get a bit of gametime in you would just start the looking for gear but in the correct locations and that ax would not be suce a big deal.
Maybe they could just give players a big stick that did half as much damage as the ax, let you defend yourself while cornered.

#3643504 - 09/13/12 01:13 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
Oh, I haven't given up. I just got a new computer and have been pretty busy setting things up and installing stuff. I've watched just about all of Sidestrafe's vids so have a good idea of what's going on and what(not) to expect out of the game. I'll get on TS with ya'll at some point. Thanks for the advice!

I was hoping to find an outhouse or hunting blind but none was around my area. Next time I spawn I'll have the map up in another screen to try to figure out where I am.

#3647585 - 09/20/12 03:24 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
I was able to get in and finally get a weapon (a crossbow). Unfortunately by that time my water meter was flashing. Had to make a dash for it to try and get something to drink but there was nothing in the one enterable building I could find, the chasing zeds finished me off. I was able to sneak around pretty well by crawling, but it's time consuming with the meters turning red and flashing on you.

This kind of took me off on a bit of a tangent/self mission where I would simply load Chernarus in Arma II, change the time setting and randomly change my orientation and the position on the map and try to figure out where I was only using a watch (to get the direction with sun angle) and a printed paper map. The goal is to figure out where you are and get to the NW AF in 30 minutes, kinda fun, got pretty good at it.

#3648501 - 09/21/12 07:25 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
Shadow629 Offline
Shadow629  Offline

Sounds like a good practice exercise. Do you place your unit with a large Placement Radius for random position? One thing is for sure, watches are much easier to find than compasses.

#3648528 - 09/21/12 08:04 PM Re: Finally tried this out... [Re: HarryM]  
HarryM Offline
Hotshot
HarryM  Offline
Hotshot

Paso Robles, CA USA
I either get my son to put me somewhere on the map or I just cover the map/screen with a sheet of paper with the unit selected, move the mouse around randomly and release and hit "preview". The former is best but the latter is pretty good at putting you in a random spot. The watch method works pretty well, within 10 degrees of true heading generally.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.