Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#3665307 - 10/18/12 07:29 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document ***** [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Hi MarkG,

Actually I saw the thread a while ago but usually I don't want to intrude unless I think I have something I can really add. I thought you were mainly doing stuff in Basic so it threw me a bit when you started talking about C++ but I thought you might be considering some of the other options people had mentioned so I figured it could be worth talking about some pluses and minuses. If you like the engine, and prefer Basic that sounds like the right way to go.

I've toyed around with writing a book about things I've learned about doing AI in games over the years. Part of the reason is that I've had some colleges ask me if I've ever thought of doing a class on AI and if I did the book that would pretty well cover what I'd need for that. Even if I didn't teach a publisher might be interested. Also I've toyed around with doing some development on the side. I've checked with where I work and with what I'm planning it shouldn't be a problem. So setting up the libraries and tools I might need would get the examples for the book done and I could write about the how's and why's as I do it. Of course now that I've talked about it, it probably won't happen. Also there's something coming up in about a month that might take my attention for a bit, sorry, not a game, so I'm going to wait until at least after that and maybe the holidays before I think about spending any real time on it. Also while there would be a section on stuff I did in flight sims if I did any examples of it the code would be very simple, or at least that's my current expectation.

You've probably thought about this already but don't forget that while the F-19 might not need to worry about A2A you will need to do stuff with it for the enemy planes. That was one thing I sort of ran into while doing Fleet Defender. Since the F-14 at that time wasn't being used for A2G it would be easy to focus on just A2A. Also, at least with the code I was dealing with, none of the games based off of it ever had an AI ground attack component. The focus had always dealt with A2A since the Player was the only one doing A2G. For FD it would need to be protecting planes doing A2G and defend against enemy planes doing it. Fortunately since the Player needed them I had A2G weapons I could access. Still I had to come up with a whole coordinated ground attack AI. This was a lot of fun to do but did take a while and there was a bit of a learning curve.

Got to run. Sounds like you're having fun while learning which is always a good thing.

Elf

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3665342 - 10/18/12 08:33 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<Elf, I'm going to get back to that last post>
==========

So close, but now I'm stumped over a simple Boolean logic error that works in the C++ IDE but not as a DLL with VB6. Talk about hoops to jump through though, at first VB couldn't see my DLL, then it couldn't find my function “entry point”, then it couldn't accept my arguments (which were correct). So that's what the extra mumbo jumbo is about at the start of the function, along with the DEF file.

++++++++++

To make a VB6 DLL in VC++6 (named VBTest.dll w/factorial function):

1. Create a New "Win32 Dynamic-Link Library" and make it "Simple" (not "Empty" nor "Symbols").

2. Create a New Text File named "Export.def" and add the following:

LIBRARY VBTest
EXPORTS factorial

3. The main source file looks like this (but formatted, of course):

==========
// VBTest.cpp : Defines the entry point for the DLL application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"

BOOL APIENTRY DllMain( HANDLE hModule,
DWORD ul_reason_for_call,
LPVOID lpReserved
)
{
return TRUE;
}

//Returns the factorial of a number
__declspec(dllexport)
int
__stdcall
factorial(int Number)
{
if (Number > 1)
return Number*factorial(Number - 1);
return Number;
}
==========

I simply added the factorial comment and the code under it. The order of "__declspec"/"int"/"__stdcall" is important, "__stdcall" must immediatly precede the function name.

4. That's it for the DDL, compile and put into your current VB project folder.

5. The VB code looks like this:

==========
Option Explicit

Private Declare Function factorial Lib "VBTest.dll" _
(ByVal num As Integer) As Integer

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim num As Integer
num = Val(Text1)
Label1 = factorial(num)
End Sub
==========

It will give you back whatever number you type but not the factorial because it's not processing the if statement.

Yet this works in the C++ IDE (same exact factorial function):

==========
// crap.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "iostream.h"

//Returns the factorial of a number
int
factorial(int Number)
{
if (Number > 1)
return Number;
}

void main()
{
int Number;
cout << "What?";
cin >> Number;
cout << factorial(Number);
}
==========

I just don't get it.

I know the DLL is working though because this works (adds 2 to Number):

factorial(int Number)
{
if (Number > 1)
Number += 2;
return Number;
}

...as does this (adds 1 to Number, also Number++ works)...

factorial(int Number)
{
if (Number > 1)
++Number;
return Number;
}

...it just bypasses the if statement, but only in the DLL. I just don't get it.

#3665368 - 10/18/12 09:07 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
That doesn't seem right to have two 'return' lines in sequence

So, shouldn't this:
{
if (Number > 1)
return Number;
}

be more like this?:
{
if (Number > 1) {
} else {
return Number;}
}

I'm no C++ expert though...

#3665370 - 10/18/12 09:09 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
I haven't used VB since <cough>around 1993-4?<cough> and I don't really do much with creating Libraries, DLLs and stuff like that so I'm just going to resort to some brute force methods to test some stuff. If I'm understanding what you're saying I'd try a couple of things.

First I'd probably assign Number*factorial(Number-1) to a local variable instead of in the return or at least put a () around it. I'm wondering if there's an order of precedence thing going on where either the factorial isn't getting call because return Number is happening first or memory for the return value is getting set before the call. Sort of along the lines of ++Var being slightly different than Var++.

Along the same lines make sure that the "if" really isn't being seen. Instead maybe have the "if" return -999 or some other static so that there's no question.

if (Number > 1)
return -999;
return Number;

If you don't get it you know the problem is with the if, if you do you know the problem is with the return or the factorial function. You could even swap it and have

if (Number > 1)
return Number;
return 999;

but I don't think you'd learn anything more than just doing it the first way.

I hope you figure it out soon.

Elf

#3665420 - 10/18/12 10:07 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
mikew, yeah C++ is just shortcut happy that way, in this case the "else" is implied. Looks better before SimHQ text reformats it. The same code works within C++, you just leave off the "__declspec(dllexport) __stdcall".

And I suspect that's the problem, I'm reading now that with "__declspec(dllexport)" I shouldn't need the DEF file but VB can't find my function without it. Apparently "__stdcall" is needed because VB and C++ don't write to the stack the same way [by default].

Scott, I did go down your list but nothing worked. Weird that when I tried again before doing anything, I kept getting -3102... or something. But then it went back to the typed number. So I'll research a different combination of settings/files.

Thanks.

#3665433 - 10/18/12 10:27 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: MarkG
mikew, yeah C++ is just shortcut happy that way, in this case the "else" is implied.

Correction: Actually, there is no "else" in this case. A function stops on a return so it's like a fall through. This will really trip you up with Switch vs. Select Case, you have to put a break on every following Case statement in C++.

#3665448 - 10/18/12 10:47 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
lol I still have my original F19 disks and manual!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3665457 - 10/18/12 11:08 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Well, you live and learn. I tend to put brackets around everything to be sure.

I know that to be able to use DLLs in Python, that they have to be exported for cdecl not stdcall.

My question about VB and DLLs was not totally random in that I'd like to make a simple GUI to tap into Krycztij's 3view program. While the following code will slowly extend the landing gear of the plane, it would be far better if I could have buttons to control the model parameters.

Since 3view is Windows only, it's probably easier to do this in VB rather than something like wxPython.

Having said that, I've been searching for my VB5 installation disk all evening....so far without success. frown

Ooops, derailing your thread here with my problems....although it's sort of related. wink

#3665584 - 10/19/12 04:57 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
mikew, I had a nice response to your above thread and it just vanished (wrong button?). I don't know what's going on, maybe it's my Satellite Internet but the latency in the Reply box is becoming unbearable. I guess it's progress whatever SimHQ has been doing for the past year or so but I hate it. And I post on a newer laptop w/Win7x64 so it's not that, I only "work" on Win2000.

So I'll just summarize...

cdecl is the C++6 default which is why VB6 couldn't see my DLL until I added stdcall (according to MS). I want to keep pursing the use of DLLs for VB6, even VB6's own ActiveX DLLs if there's any use for them.

No one derails this thread like I do! smile I'm also good at bringing it back from the dead, another no-no. But we're in the boonies out here and I don't want to start a new thread unless I have something really new to talk about.

I enjoy your pics so please keep posting them here. I try not to lose my focus (you know how I can get) but I do enjoy seeing what you're working on, always a surprise (like the above pic).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#3665587 - 10/19/12 05:04 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I find that it's loops (do...while) and conditionals (if... switch...) that won't work properly in my DLL.

This will always give 40:

==========
__declspec(dllexport)
int
__stdcall
test(int n)
{
switch (n)
{
case 10:
return 10;
break;
case 20:
return 20;
break;
case 30:
return 30;
break;
default:
return 40;
}
}

----------

... although I know it's receiving 10, 20 and 30 because that's what it returns when I comment out the Switch statement and use only "return n;"

==========
__declspec(dllexport)
int
__stdcall
test(int n)
{
\\switch (n)
\\{
\\ case 10:
\\ return 10;
\\ break;
\\ default:
\\ return 40;
\\}

return n;
}
==========

And it works fine in C++ proper. Go figure.

Simple one-line math works so we know we can connect, the main point of this exercise. It's complicated but I have instructions on how to hook VB directly into C++ for debugging a DLL while in use. That will tell me what's happening at every line.

There's different types of DLLs to create, different settings to use (in the DLL, in VB and the compiler), different PCs to try it on (I run a 3rd-party app in my IDE, I'll try a fresh VB install), I mean who knows? We'll figure it out.

The sun is in the east
#3665606 - 10/19/12 06:34 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Could it be that VB and C++ have a different idea of how long a default Integer is? ie 16 vs 32 bit.

Don't get me started on how crap 'cloud' based computing is. All forums have these active reply boxes which screw up whatever you type in, even if you yse Code tags. In the rare situation that I create a long post, I'll write it in Notepad first, including all necessary tags then paste it across to the forum.

#3665910 - 10/19/12 05:43 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
IMO, it was around the year 2000...

...when software was hitting its peak ratio of performance/features to fluff/noise.

In 1987 I took a drafting class at a Vo-Tech. I remember we were using AutoCAD 2.5 on 8088s w/dual 5-1/4 floppy drives. It was so slow that to regenerate a drawing (a full redraw with float pt calculations) you could take a bathroom break.

Now fast forward 6 years...

On May 5, 1993 I bought my first real PC (I'm looking at the receipt), a 486/66 DX2 with 8MB RAM and Genoa 8500 VLB video (recommended card for AutoCAD). Then soon added a 17” Viewsonic monitor and another 4MB RAM (can you believe just the extra 4 MB was $624.00? [4 X $156.00]).

AutoCAD R12 DOS SCREAMED on this machine, I mean it was sooo FAST! Not to mention the library of books that shipped in a really nice sliding top box. Now all you get is a code and an online Help system (literally it's online) that doesn’t work.

Now if someone would have told me that in the year 2012 (almost 20 years later!) that AutoCAD would take a full minute to load, experience constant pauses and overall feel like a bloated overstuffed codfish I would have never believe it! Not possible, not with the progress made from '87 to '93 (both in speed and features). I would have guessed it would be so fast you have not to blink or you'd miss something. Quite the opposite, although you do get a Facebook and Twitter icon on the start-up screen now and some storage in the clouds. :rollseyes:

I knew things were gonna go downhill as far back as Office '97 with that winking paperclip. And then we get the dog wagging its tail and finding a bone when you search for something. Cute. Of course you can turn it off (I think) but I don't even want it on my machine.

So what? RAM and storage is cheap.

Take the DLL problem I'm having, for example. When I get serious with solving it (and I will) I'm going to use my test PC where I have half a dozen Ghost images for different setup scenarios (i.e. fresh Windows install). I can reload the drive in no time at all with Windows 2000 (even XP isn't TOO big), but try doing this with Vista+, multiple reloads become an all day thing.

I hate that I'm falling behind technology, I was never a nerd (not smart enough) but I like the atmosphere (a BIG plus for the Blitz3D community for being a beginner’s tool), I had my CompuServe account back when it was a bunch of geeks on technical bulletin boards (AutoCAD and MicroStation for me). I was standing outside of CompUSA at midnight to get my copy of Win95 (and a free mouse)!

But now it's all different, Autodesk's CEO wants to be completely on the Cloud in less than three years so you can rent AutoCAD. Rent? For real? With my satellite latency AutoCAD would be a barrel of fun! smile

So now I'm getting off anything that even requires an online activation. I don't want to be in a situation years from now not being able to use my software because some connection is no longer available.

I'm not saying I want to go back to this...

...although XTGold was pretty nice for its time, and Links386 is still fun to play. But the whole bloat and cloud thing, I can't roll with it.

And the Metro look, I've seen better looking DOS programs (and this one includes fly-out toolbars which detach, very slick for DOS)...

Which brings me to Blitz3D... DirectX7, a non-OOP version of BASIC dating back to the Amiga, a sparse IDE, and I'm sure some other negatives I don't know about yet. But it's rock-solid stable and it's FAST! And being a Windows 95 program using BASIC that's some accomplishment. Also it's very small, take out the samples and zip the program folder and you're under 4MB.

Also, there's a 3rd-party IDE (unsupported abandonware by the author) that's also small, solid and fast...
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/IDEal.jpg

Hopefully it'll do the job, along with VB6.

The abandoned puppy...
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/blitz3dpup.jpg

The sun is in the east
#3666006 - 10/19/12 07:16 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: Scott Elson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted By: Scott Elson
Actually I saw the thread a while ago but usually I don't want to intrude unless I think I have something I can really add. I thought you were mainly doing stuff in Basic so it threw me a bit when you started talking about C++ but I thought you might be considering some of the other options people had mentioned so I figured it could be worth talking about some pluses and minuses. If you like the engine, and prefer Basic that sounds like the right way to go.

I can code in VB6 almost as quickly as writing one of my long-winded rants! smile C programmers think that '}' is easier than 'End If'. What they don't realize is that we actually type 'end if' and let the IDE correct the case. smile Not having to use the Shift will keep you from getting early carpal tunnel. Might seem lazy but I don't think so, just more efficient as long as the end result is correct.

No way I'd use C++ everyday unless I was getting paid (it's just not enjoyable to me).

I've toyed around with writing a book about things I've learned about doing AI in games over the years. Part of the reason is that I've had some colleges ask me if I've ever thought of doing a class on AI and if I did the book that would pretty well cover what I'd need for that. Even if I didn't teach a publisher might be interested. Also I've toyed around with doing some development on the side. I've checked with where I work and with what I'm planning it shouldn't be a problem. So setting up the libraries and tools I might need would get the examples for the book done and I could write about the how's and why's as I do it. Of course now that I've talked about it, it probably won't happen. Also there's something coming up in about a month that might take my attention for a bit, sorry, not a game, so I'm going to wait until at least after that and maybe the holidays before I think about spending any real time on it. Also while there would be a section on stuff I did in flight sims if I did any examples of it the code would be very simple, or at least that's my current expectation.

Even simple code examples would be good, but I was thinking more along the lines of the overall experience of developing a monster flight sim. What went wrong, what went right, how hard it was to meet deadlines or your own expectations, some funny and not so funny office stuff.

About six months ago I read a book on the two John's (Carmack and Romero), from their beginnings, to their creation of id, to their parting and it was one of the most interesting reads ever!

You've probably thought about this already but don't forget that while the F-19 might not need to worry about A2A you will need to do stuff with it for the enemy planes. That was one thing I sort of ran into while doing Fleet Defender. Since the F-14 at that time wasn't being used for A2G it would be easy to focus on just A2A. Also, at least with the code I was dealing with, none of the games based off of it ever had an AI ground attack component. The focus had always dealt with A2A since the Player was the only one doing A2G. For FD it would need to be protecting planes doing A2G and defend against enemy planes doing it. Fortunately since the Player needed them I had A2G weapons I could access. Still I had to come up with a whole coordinated ground attack AI. This was a lot of fun to do but did take a while and there was a bit of a learning curve.

Got to run. Sounds like you're having fun while learning which is always a good thing..

I'm going to try and at least have the AI chase you. I read the original game (or maybe it was F-117A) would vector two sets a planes, one set to where you were last detected and one set to where you were going. Although Blitz3D has all but been forgotten as a game creator, the boards have hundred of pages of useful information including code snippets so hopefully I find the answers I need.

And BTW, I'm taking a cue from Jane's F-18 for dusk to dawn sky color. Simple but nice.

#3666190 - 10/19/12 11:38 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: Scott Elson]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
\Also I've toyed around with doing some development on the side.
Elf

Hello! Embedded OS developer here, but hello.

Enjoyed your work with F/A-18. If your teaching/writing a book/rolling your own and need a hand...

#3666225 - 10/20/12 01:17 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
mikew, I found that 3D game made in VB6...
http://198.65.10.229/DID/Temp/3DRacers.zip

No source code though. The game was posted by the author who intentionally stuck with pure VB6 to see if it could be done.

About the DLL, the problem is that I really don't know what I'm doing yet. Everything I've read is that once you get the hookup it works perfectly, and there are no reasons this shouldn't be possible to do, if there were I would have read so. At least I made a connection so to me it's a start. smile

And about source code, anyone who wants to see my source will need the Blitz3D demo (about a 7MB download). The only limitations are the amount of code it can load (and I won't be reaching that anytime soon) and you cannot compile. You can run, edit and save just not compile. The full-version price was just dropped to $60.00, by the time anyone needs that they'll know if they're interested enough to buy it. DirectX7 and BASIC, LOL! I'm not expecting much interest except for anyone interested in how a game is developed from scratch.

Also, I was wrong about the Blitz3D program size, it's more like 2MB zipped (without samples, help and tutorials).

Ok, I'm falling behind my 'studies', unless there's something to respond to I'll be back on Nov. 1 to get this project off the ground.

I am excited.

#3666366 - 10/20/12 09:46 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Krycztij Offline
Krycztij  Offline

I'm only checking this forum sporadically, so I missed the re-ignition of this thread … I hope I'm not too late. I'm the guy who's implementing the C++ side of the tools mikew shows.

I really don't care for C++ OOP, too much planning and overhead (class bases w/logical hierarchy, rights, constructors, prototypes). Individually no one feature is too difficult to understand, but mixed all together with nesting, pointers and what seems like a million rules and symbols (*,->,::) and it just becomes too much.
For C++ land of our TFX tools, OOP has just been used where absolutely necessary (i.e. where DiD's architecture did not permit anything else, and for typical 'manager' classes). The remaining code base is pretty data-oriented. One clue for you: Keep the code as simple as possible. 90 % of our C++ could also be implemented in C.

Microsoft has recently made some interesting decisions (and reversals) regarding Visual Studio NET...
[…]
- VS2012 ships with a version of the NET framework which won't be supported by WinXP (NET 4.5).
You can still use Visual Studio 2010 — I'm using it for XP-compatible builds of our tools, too. I use Visual C++ 2012 for 64-bit builds targeting Windows Vista or above.

I'd have no problem overloading my own functions but not the built-in operators, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. And that's one thing I don't like about C, it seems like everything is defined by context (and that's before any overloading)!
Operator overloading can be quite useful. Our tools employ it to hide the implementation of lists (so no code needs to be changed if a doubly-linked list changes to an array) and for equality checking (a != b is just more pretty than a.notEqual(b)). For 99 % of the classes, you don't need it, though. Need for looking up what an operator does should not happen in well-designed code.

Originally Posted By: mikew
The point of doing the game design first is that you can break the task down into smaller chunks, then start implementing those chunks in VB6. In fact, the only thing that VB6 will struggle with is the 3D world, but BlitzBasic will be good enough to see whether your game 'works' or not.
Yes exactly. Programming actually is the easiest thing because it's straigh-forward routine once you know what to do. Becoming aware of the problem in order to subdivide it until it's solvable is by far harder.

MarkG, I think you can omit the EXPORTS.DEF file if your exported functions are preceeded by extern "C". This will tell the compiler that the function should be visible for external modules as a plain C function, i.e. with its original name and without C++ name mangling. I could be well wrong though, because I didn't use DEF files for at least ten years.

I recommend not to use Visual C++ 6 until it's absolutely necessary. It is by far the worst compiler on earth. From my memory, it would break any code but straightforward class-less template-less C code. Plus, support is hard to get. Its only advantage is, you don't need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable files before using its images, but this can be avoided with Visual Studio 20xx as well.

Considering the if/else discussion: MarkG, you're right, there is no else implied but program flow is logically equivalent to a written 'else'. I'd write the 'else', and use curly braces, too — it really helps finding typing errors.

Sadly, I don't know what struck the VB/C++ DLL interaction either. I'd try what Scott Elson suggested.

I do enjoy reading this thread and following your progress. Keep it up!

#3666628 - 10/20/12 09:13 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA

Even simple code examples would be good, but I was thinking more along the lines of the overall experience of developing a monster flight sim. What went wrong, what went right, how hard it was to meet deadlines or your own expectations, some funny and not so funny office stuff.

Ah, OK. I think some of the strat guides might have touched on some of that stuff and sometimes guys would post stories on the forums. A book probably would have been more likely back when flight sims had a bigger market share. Also since it was a while ago and hard crunches were fairly common people might have forgotten a lot of what happened. If I have a chance I'll see if I can come up with some stories to write down but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

piper,
Thanks. Right now the Mystic 8 Ball doesn't even want to give me any idea of what the near term future might bring so some plans are currently in a holding pattern. Thanks for the offer. I think I'll be OK but I'll keep you in mind and let you know if I come up with anything you might find of interest.

Elf

#3666665 - 10/20/12 10:21 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
If you guys will forgive me for one more personal indulgence, I was on a college campus all day with a lot on my mind.

++++++++++

My wife and I spent the day at LSU, a morning 5k run for Alzheimers and then we walked the campus. She reminisced while we tried to get an idea where my classes might be held next fall. The Fall 2013 schedule isn't posted yet so we followed along with 2012. It's a little confusing, LSU has no "Game Development" curriculum, only Computer Science (which is combined with Electrical Engineering).

The focus is on C++ programming but you can also take Assembly (optional, I think) as well as all kinds of other computer-related classes like "Advanced Compiler Design Theory". Um...yeah, right. A foreign language is required but I didn't see Russian on the list. I want to take Physics and Astronomy, but not Biology nor Chemistry if I have that choice (I think so). I'm not really sure what my choices are and what's best for what I'm wanting to learn (and what I might be capable of learning).

I'm going to make an appointment with a campus counselor, and when I get to the time of decision I may post my choices here and ask for advice. I wish LSU had a more stream-lined curriculum that focused on developing games. Maybe I need to look at a completely different (and certainly more affordable) option, like a technical school. Or do I just stay with being self-taught (I do believe I have the discipline for it)? For game development, can you teach yourself all you need to know from books?

Anyway, my ACT scores from 2/86 were surprisingly not that bad for being such a poor student in HS...

English 22
Math 23
Social Studies 18
Natural Sciences 27
----------
Composite 23

And I was admitted to LSU once already (4/22/86) pending their own math test. I studied hard for that test [EDIT: the ACT] using a Barron's book, but I never followed up on that 'success', going to work instead.

Wow, this is printed out on green-bar paper and my ACT scores have yellowed badly, I'm getting old. old_simmer I doubt my ACT scores would even be accepted today, a question for the counselor.

Thank you, now back to the thread...

Last edited by MarkG; 10/20/12 10:36 PM.
#3666690 - 10/20/12 11:22 PM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Krycztij, thanks very much for that information, I'll try what you suggested with extern "C".

I'm using VC++6 because my first book was (gulp) Visual C++ 6 for Dummies! smile In fact, most of my books use examples for VC++ 6 and I need that kind of hand-holding right now so I have no choice at the moment. But I'll keep what you said in mind for the future.

I'm sure I misunderstood but I swear I read somewhere that VB6 and C++6 share the same compiler (for the worse, I guess). I did misunderstand this, right?

Please excuse some of my other ramblings (i.e. about VS2012), some of us haven’t gotten over the abandonment of VB6. The hardest part for me was not being able to make a true WinXP-looking GUI, even with a manifest file. But I guess that doesn’t matter anymore.

Thank you again.

The sun is in the east
#3666708 - 10/21/12 12:20 AM Re: Retro Flight Simulator: F-19 Game Design Document [Re: Scott Elson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ah, OK. I think some of the strat guides might have touched on some of that stuff and sometimes guys would post stories on the forums. A book probably would have been more likely back when flight sims had a bigger market share. Also since it was a while ago and hard crunches were fairly common people might have forgotten a lot of what happened. If I have a chance I'll see if I can come up with some stories to write down but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

I tried pulling up my Kindle but it needs recharging (oops). Most of these type books I've read are smaller and usually no more than $10.00, probably Kindle Edition only. I don't know if such a book would be profitable, but I assume you wouldn't need a publisher. In fact, some of the ones I've read seemed to not even have a proofreader. smile

I also enjoy books by Indie developers, but I've read a lot more game making tragedies than successes. Every start-up has big dreams (myself included) except they all seem to want to shoot for the stars, make the next AAA blockbuster right out of the gate. And some have lost big money in the attempt, rather it's usually people they talk into investing in their game who lose big money.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.