Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
#3637318 - 09/03/12 02:27 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: NavyNuke99]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
I'll keep my eyes open for the reviews around the net. However as it stands now, I'm not going to spend $40 for two planes I'll never fly, and six more that can't compete on equal footing with all the rest of the offerings coming out in an online setting.

I'd offer that fidelity does not automatically = competitive advantage. As a matter of fact, it might very well be the opposite. While someone in the MiG-21 is puzzling over all those switches and knobs, swamped up to their eyeballs in realism, the guy flying the stock FC3 MiG-29 might possibly be pointing and shooting him down.. wink

I'm just saying it is hard to judge exactly how this might shake out.. biggrin

popcorn

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3637323 - 09/03/12 02:31 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: zzzspace]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: zzzspace
And will become much more fun and confidence-inspiring if lingering known-bugs are thoroughly tested for and debugged. This is all I have ever wanted at any point.

As someone with some inside baseball on this - I can assure you that ED is working very, very hard to collect, ID, squash, and fix all bugs. Is 100% perfection ever going to be achieved? Doubt it. Again, consider that the 20 million dollar CAE full motion simulator that I use each year for Citation training, which is certified to the highest level of fidelity and realism available, still has bugs and anomalies that do not match the real airplane. Considering my company spends $9000 a year (per pilot) to send each of us to that training it seems like a fair value that a $40 sim (which in many ways is almost as accurate as the 20 million dollar one) might still have some bugs.

BeachAV8R

#3637328 - 09/03/12 02:37 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
Again, consider that the 20 million dollar CAE full motion simulator that I use each year for Citation training, which is certified to the highest level of fidelity and realism available, still has bugs and anomalies that do not match the real airplane. Considering my company spends $9000 a year (per pilot) to send each of us to that training it seems like a fair value that a $40 sim (which in many ways is almost as accurate as the 20 million dollar one) might still have some bugs.

/thread.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3637335 - 09/03/12 02:45 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: scotsmen54]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
Originally Posted By: scotsmen54
Originally Posted By: FrontierProject
Now when you first mentioned this I was generally interested in the simulators you were talking about as I have a bit of a soft spot for old simulators. But you have again and again blatantly ignored any request for even one of these titles. Now with the number if times this has been asked, it is highly unlikely that you missed seeing these requests. the only option being left is that you are purposefully ignoring them.

Finally:
I find it offensive and insulting to see a couple of people asserting on a speculative basis alone, that someone simply pointing these things out, is to be labelled a "troll" for it. I've probably been around these forums much longer than any of you, and some of you have very brief posting histories indeed. And it's possible I've been flying sims longer than you've been alive, given the level of your comments. People here have seen me around here for almost over 8 years. I am hardly an unknown quantity in these parts, and I think what you're doing verges on, or actually is a personal-attack, because it has no basis, and is simply gossipy speculation on your part, that you intend to smear with. I ask the moderation to look into this if it recurs.

I do not, in any way, question your point against ED, I have not flown any of their products yet and from hearsay am aware of their "buggyness". Therefore I did not label you a troll for pointing out these perfectly valid points, quite frankly you'v given me some valuable insight. However you have repeatedly come back with this issue of your pre-LOMAC simulators. The fact that you refuse to give even the slightest acknowledgment to these requests suggests either this:
Originally Posted By: speck01
Sometimes people inadvertently box themselves into a corner, then they feel like if they backtrack people will just discount their entire point.

Like right now, he's said something to the affect of "bug free" so many times that no matter what sim he mentions, someone will pop up and be able to point out that it had a patch, or that this/that didn't work, or something.
Or you are purposefully ignoring these requests to elicit hostile reactions from other users, which is trolling.

Originally Posted By: speck01
Like right now, he's said something to the affect of "bug free" so many times that no matter what sim he mentions, someone will pop up and be able to point out that it had a patch, or that this/that didn't work, or something.

Hi speck01

Thought I'd clarify a few things with you, because you are reading too much into what was said and getting snagged on a couple of words there, and missing the surrounding words that equally go with the words you are snagging on. I said these excerpts within this thread:
this entire post perfectly illustrates my point, you jumped speck01 for "reading between the lines", then go on defending posts you made which no one has made any context too, but once again YOU BLATANTLY IGNORE THE QUESTION SPECK01 ASKED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm sorry zzzspace, it is your own reactions which have caused this misunderstanding.

For god sakes we simmers know what he is talking about. Titles, there are too many to mention. Most older simmers here know exactly what zzzspace is talking about. The fact you don't indicates your lack of knowledge of the older Titles and I for one am not about to educate you here when most of the people here understand perfectly what he is talking about. Go back and research the older Titles they were fun to fly and basically bug free. I will give you a hint. NOVALOGIC: F-16, Mig-29 and a great F-22 lightning 3. Now go and look up some for yourself. Stop asking foolish question on Titles.

scotsmen54
excuse me, but the only reason I joined this discussion, here, was that multiple users were asking him repeatedly, I did not ask him for myself, I asked because 5 other users had already made the request beforehand... and he kept rehashing the point he'd made in his first post, nothing new.

Now I give it to you one last time:
Originally Posted By: Nate
Just one example of a sim with similar fidelity with no bugs and no patches.... can't be that hard.

Nate
I rest my case, KThanxBye

"Burn them all."
--------------
Intel Core2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3637361 - 09/03/12 03:27 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: scotsmen54]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Originally Posted By: scotsmen54
[quote=Warmbrak]
Hope ED survives and continues but now we have some competition so maybe we will see ED pick up their game. Competition is always good and maybe that is why ED us starting to fix their buggy simulations.Thank You

That's true, when A-10c came out it was manna from the skies. Year and a half later the picture is very different. Some go for this some for that, DCS has no fast mover, so people move elsewhere. Constant patches, uninstall/reinstall and control remapping gets to you.

Until the mudhen or hornet arrives, there's really nothing to keep us in DCS. And that will take at least one year, if not two. Competition then will be even more evolved. If FSX@war gets DC by then, game over.

#3637366 - 09/03/12 03:32 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: Floydii]  
Macd1102 Offline
Macd1102  Offline

Yorktown, Va
[quote=Floydii]zzzspace,

Mate, please name the bug free flight sim or sims. It is a simple request that can be answered with no more than ten words.

Look, I'll even give you an example:

"F-117A Stealth Fighter 2.0" (That one froze up a few times on me when I was playing it as a ~10 years old, so its not the answer by the way).

[/quote

Floydii you view the game freezing up as a bug, that could be caused by your graphics card, reason I'm pointing this out is I owned falcon 4.0 and never had problems with it, never went online preferred SP so it depends on how you used the program, the equipment you used and last, what you thought was a bug, over heated video card can freeze your screen. needing titles mentioned is useless unless you had identical equipment and knew it was a program error and not hardware

#3637422 - 09/03/12 04:46 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
So can we start another thread to discuss some of the more objective aspects of FC3? That way I don't have to wade through 10 pgs/day of bickering to check for updates or relevant discussion.

Last edited by malibu43; 09/03/12 04:47 PM.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3637424 - 09/03/12 04:54 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: malibu43]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: malibu43
So can we start another thread to discuss some of the more objective aspects of FC3? That way I don't have to wade through 10 pgs/day of bickering to check for updates or relevant discussion.

You nailed it malibu43.

Guys, we welcome you to cuss and discuss but the door closes when it goes personal. Doesn't matter who is right or wrong on the topic, once personal it is out-of-bounds.

If you have something to say regarding FC3, cool. If you want to go personal -- then this thread will soon close.

Your move.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3637425 - 09/03/12 04:54 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: malibu43]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
when I logged in yesterday and saw it had generated 11 pages of reply's I was shocked. After starting to read thru them I was going to suggest the same thing you did, but then I got caught up in it all...

"Burn them all."
--------------
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3637429 - 09/03/12 04:56 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
scotsmen54 Offline
scotsmen54  Offline

Canada
ok, these guys that ask for Titles well lets take F-22 lightning 3 by Novalogic. Now remember the time it was Programmed. This aircraft showed what could be programmed and no bugs. It could automatically intercept the ILS marker do a full ILS approach back over the Beacon and land. Just think at that time what it must have taken just to do that small part. There were main other features that made this a popular simulator to fly at the time. At that time it was high fidelity sim for its time.

Again I have to say, with the tools available to the programmers today, they should be doing simulations like DCS-A10C and with out many bugs. All software contains some bugs but they should not be bugs that make game play almost impossible to enjoy.

We are not seeing this from ED. May I make a slight correction and say Where ED picked up the Lockon Series from UBI. Today yes they seem to be doing much better but they still have a long way to go due to the fact, the Producers waited to long to start addressing the bugs. All you have to do is go back to the ED forum and see the list of reports from the Community. They are substantial and a lot left to be worked out. I will give them credit, in the fact that they seem to be now facing these issues and doing what they can to correct them. It was unfortunate that it became long over due to start addressing them. So the question begs itself who or why did it take so long?Thank You.

#3637436 - 09/03/12 05:01 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: citizen guod]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
Originally Posted By: guod

You nailed it malibu43.

Guys, we welcome you to cuss and discuss but the door closes when it goes personal. Doesn't matter who is right or wrong on the topic, once personal it is out-of-bounds.

If you have something to say regarding FC3, cool. If you want to go personal -- then this thread will soon close.

Your move.
In all honesty I think this would be the good move guod, (see what I did there winkngrin ) I think this thread should be a community announcement, not a personal thread, imo the 1st 2 posts should be merged and staff should edit the OP to add any new details as they come out.

"Burn them all."
--------------
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3637447 - 09/03/12 05:11 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: malibu43]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!

Texas, USA
So can we start another thread to discuss some of the more objective aspects of FC3?

A 'Flaming Cliffs 3: Questions and Answers' thread is a jolly good idea. The 'Loop of Whine' in which this thread is currently caught up in and which has us now reminiscing over titles 2 decades yonder does little to address questions that people may have regarding FC3, especially for potential newcomers to the genre attracted by the free SU-25T MP aspect.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3637508 - 09/03/12 06:15 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

A word from Wags: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1543236&postcount=467

Quote:
Although it was not stated in the original announcement, I wanted to share the motivation behind FC3 and the logic behind some of the choices we made.

With the current divide between FC2 and DCS, we felt there was an unneeded gap between the two products that only served divide the larger Eagle Dynamics product community. Further, those flying DCS online really had no dedicated fighter aircraft, just mud movers. For a more encompassing online experience, this needs to change.

Given that "DCS: Fighter" is still a ways off, we hope that FC3 will serve as a good bridge while we continue to flesh out the stable of DCS aircraft (both 1st and 3rd party). However, given the time window for this and the available resources, there was a lot of back and forth discussion internally of what we could and could not do in a reasonable time frame. In the end, a list of improvements was created that we believe will most benefit FC3. Many of these improvements though (like AAM AFM, resource manager, etc.) could not be specific to an FC3 install, rather they would have to be part of DCSW or it would break the game online. Make no mistake though that these features were specifically created for and budged for FC3.

As for the new and improved F-15C cockpit, work on this started about a year ago because we felt of all the FC aircraft, it is the most popular. That is not a slight to the eastern aircraft, nor any indication of some sort of western bias. While we would also have LOVED to include a new and improved MiG-29 or Su-27 cockpit, the time needed would fall well outside the product window. As someone that has been flying Eagle products since the original Flanker, I too look forward to a new Crane cockpit!

As mentioned before by our moderators that show boundless patience, it is not our decision regarding the requirement for a LOMAC installation. This was a stipulation with Ubisoft that allowed us to create these addons. However, this is also a big reason why FC3 will probably be the last LOMAC product.

Finally, on the matter of price, we price all products based on the financial investment compared to forecasted revenue based on two decades of experience. For those that think we make money hand over fist making these titles, you could not be more wildly mistaken. If we solely based price on what end users deemed the cost should be rather than based on actual development costs, we would have been out of business long ago. As it is, we are often lucky to break even on these products.

--
44th VFW
#3637542 - 09/03/12 06:48 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
Michiel Offline
Senior Junior Member
Michiel  Offline
Senior Junior Member

The Netherlands
what i wonder about, is why such dedication to a sim you don't like.

i have lock-on and no FC.
got Black Shark 1. didn't bother with the paid patch.

am sitting on the fence about the p-51D because that's a new plane.
and like a couple of you already said FC3 without a new theater. thanks but no thanks.

and when is nevada coming again ?
they should made FC3 and nevada 1 package. then maybe i would have bought it.

cheers

*edit for the spelling terrorist.... Black Shart => Black Shark

Last edited by Michiel; 09/04/12 06:40 AM.

a very senior junior member ;-)
#3637548 - 09/03/12 06:53 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
i cant stop laughing at some of the rants in that thread...

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3637583 - 09/03/12 07:31 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: SkateZilla]  
FrontierProject Offline
low-spec system simmer
FrontierProject  Offline
low-spec system simmer

Smalltown Minnesota
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
i cant stop laughing at some of the rants in that thread...
ikr, I shoulda just stayed out, made a genuine fool outta myself, hindsight is always 20/20 I guess... screwy

Last edited by FrontierProject; 09/03/12 07:32 PM.

"Burn them all."
--------------
4GB RAM
Sparkle Geforce GTX460
#3637598 - 09/03/12 08:00 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Made a fool of myself in the past with these kinds of discussions, I _try_ to stay out of them. I have no fingernails instead smile

One thing though, it has long been said that even good code will have a certain amount of bugs per 100/1000/10,000 lines of code etc. It is unavoidable.

Also computers 20 years ago did not have the computational power we do now, they were much more simplistic games with far fewer lines of code. Probably the simulation of just a couple of the avionics systems in dcs-a10 contains more code than some other simulators from back in the day.

Given the huge amount of extra processing going on in modern sims and the huge amount of additional code to do it all then it is no wonder there are more bugs. Any computer scientist will tell you this is to be expected. That doesnt mean the percentage of bugs per line of code has gone up necessarily.

#3637603 - 09/03/12 08:06 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
i happen to mention MP issues, and wags was quick to respond with a message stating they believe they had a fix, and that he had already announced it (oops my bad...)

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3637614 - 09/03/12 08:22 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: Michiel]  
ARM505 Offline
ARM505  Offline

Originally Posted By: Michiel
got Black Shart 1. didn't bother with the paid patch.

Hfffffphhhah hhaaaa haa ha smile smile

Well, I wouldn't have bothered with a 'patch' for that either! smile

LOL, epic, that made the thread, thanks dude smile

#3637647 - 09/03/12 09:21 PM Re: Announcing Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 [Re: FrontierProject]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Sigh. . . any word on the "US fixed wing" for the DCS series yet??

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.