Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3634325 - 08/28/12 11:46 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Ahh I see, apologies, I misread it. BTW 1.2.1 is in the works.

Nate

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3634361 - 08/29/12 01:13 AM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Yeah Nate I'm not technically ragging on world- the concept is unfathomably enticing. We are camping on 1111 because it is the least broke of the two and we already have server reliability issues- not excited to invite more considering the server is controlled remotely from 3 corner of the globe.

But where I am a bit disappointed is that developers seem to have taken everything on at once while simultaneously taking on radical departures from
Conventional sims.

And actually while I'm it I'm a bit disappointed to have such an eagerness to slam my opinion on this matter (though it was misread) but no feedback whatsoever in 2 threads that remark quite consistently on remarkably consistent crashes and errors- both threads with over 30 THOUSAND views. .

I understand you're on it- but if you're going to jump the gun maybe pick the battle more carefully.

Last edited by eno75; 08/29/12 01:26 AM.
#3634419 - 08/29/12 08:21 AM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
zzzspace Offline
zzzspace  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: JonnyD
... at the end of the day if I'm honest, I don't write AARs for other people, I write them for me biggrin So I shouldn't have removed it at all wink

That's it, do what you like and share if you want. I mod sim sound for me but beyond a certain point only feedback and critiques from sharing make it better because I miss and neglect stuff. Most helpful and enjoyable comments come from people who are passionate, honest and upfront. The least helpful and most annoying comments come from the people who unconstructively obsess over minor or irrelevant details. If you get one of those sorts of chappies you just ignore 'em, and if necessary tell them to take a hike. winkngrin

Enjoyed your agreeably honest write-up style and the vicarious flight, pity about the bugs. thumbsup

#3634553 - 08/29/12 03:46 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
bonchie Offline
bonchie  Offline

I'm just getting into DCS: A-10C so I can't comment on multiplayer, but I've had some problems since going to 1.2.0.0 from 1.1.1.1.

Namely everytime I load a mission and attempt to click the cockpit, the game minimizes. I then have to click it on the taskbar to bring it back up where things work again. Not sure what's causing that.

Also noticed some shadowing artifacts on the cockpit glass in certain situations that shouldn't be there and make no sense (i.e. nothing is casting the weird shapes and lines there).

#3634606 - 08/29/12 05:23 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: bonchie]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: bonchie
Namely everytime I load a mission and attempt to click the cockpit, the game minimizes. I then have to click it on the taskbar to bring it back up where things work again. Not sure what's causing that.

Hi, bonchie,
There is a setting in options to disable Windows Aero Glass, or something like that. I read on the DCS Forums that if you deselect that box the mouse issue won't happen again. Alt-Tab supposedly fixes it, too.

We do run a server called Eno's Firehouse but it is still on v1.1.1.1 which is more (much more) stable for multiplayer use. If I recollect right the IP address is 70.79.187.158:10308 and you will prolly have to type it in the first time. After that you can see the server under the History tab if it is on-line. We try to keep it running all the time. It doesn't always show up under the Internet tab - that is a v1.1.1.1 bug.

There is a "Eno's Firehouse" thread in the A-10C forum here at SimHQ.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3555870/What_s_cookin_at_Eno_s_Firehou.html#Post3555870

WC

#3634625 - 08/29/12 06:00 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: bonchie]  
zzzspace Offline
zzzspace  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: bonchie
I'm just getting into DCS: A-10C so I can't comment on multiplayer, but I've had some problems since going to 1.2.0.0 from 1.1.1.1.

Also noticed some shadowing artifacts on the cockpit glass in certain situations that shouldn't be there and make no sense (i.e. nothing is casting the weird shapes and lines there).

It's due to an option on the System Tab called "Disable Aero Interface", just uncheck that option and it stops doing it.

Those weird shapes and lines are the shadows being cast by the HUDs side-frame.

#3634634 - 08/29/12 06:13 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Thanks for your views, guys thumbsup

Wow! I hadn't realised there was so much interest in this thread - currently over 3,700 views - guess I'd better behave myself biggrin

I'm definitely going back to v1.1.1.1 now, but I'll keep DCSW 1.20 installed and wait for the next patch.

I bought the Vergeev campaign, which was for BS v1.0.2 - I've set that up now, ready to use it if I have issues trying the missions in BS2 (1111). I think I read on ED forums that it works with BS2 but not in DCSW (now there's a surprise!) without changes.

That's something I've found frustrating in BS - not being able to fly the many (and I mean very many) missions and campaigns I downloaded for BS (1) in the BS module of DCSW. Not because of DCSW bugs, but because things have changed that have broken the missions. It must be really frustrating for the guys, like WC and all those other luvvly chaps who make spiffing missions and campaigns for us, who spend lots of time on excellent campaigns only to find them borked with the next patch. Makes me concerned for the future of community made campaigns and missions.

Not that I mind flying in BS (1) - it would just be a lot more convenient for all concerned if I could just install DCSW and get flying smile

My own mission making abilities are limited to pretty basic stuff - though I did try the random mission generator in DCSW and it gave me a great mission to fly.

PS - yeah, I hear the 'have you posted on ED forums?" - no I haven't. Firstly there is so much on there I don't know if they have been covered (search engines usually return 100's of results and most are not relevant) and personally I find the ED forums a rather hostile environment.

Last edited by JonnyD; 08/29/12 08:40 PM. Reason: spiffing campaign designer added

I say it as I see it
#3634684 - 08/29/12 07:25 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
I've been reduced to an "etc". sigh

Originally Posted By: JonnyD
Makes me concerned for the future of community made campaigns and missions.

Well put. beercheers

WC

#3634727 - 08/29/12 08:53 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
I've been reduced to an "etc". sigh

Corrected smile

But I removed Dragon's name - I've just been reading his posts on ED forums and see that he says his mission packs are DCSW compatible.

Drat! Another evening wasted reading forums instead of flying! banghead

I say it as I see it
#3634748 - 08/29/12 09:20 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Dragon and others replaced their "missing" building-units with the two bunkers that are available for some countries. I use lots of buildings in my missions to help tell the story, and replacing them all with a bunker would break my story lines IMO, and besides I'm just plain unwilling to do that.

I cannot fathom why the DCS devs would do that (leave out units) - to your earlier point, JonnyD.

WC

#3634969 - 08/30/12 07:49 AM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
msalama Offline
msalama  Offline

Quote:
...and personally I find the ED forums a rather hostile environment.

How so? I've personally found them a very courteous environment compared to other boards, including SimHQ.

New DCS versions breaking user-made content is of course problematic, but what's even worse IMO is their habit of breaking controller mapping files going from one version to another. Jeebus, all that reassigning and/or adding changes manually... banghead

#3635132 - 08/30/12 03:07 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
I haven't had a problem with that wink

I put my BS2 and A-10C G940, BU0836X and MFD assignments into DCSW without issue.

What's more, yesterday I put my DCSW Ka50 control profiles into BS1 and so far it seems to have worked just fine.

The only controller rant I have is having to do it x times over in FC2.

I'm not going to talk about ED forums - I've said what I think - from my own experiences - and that will do.

I say it as I see it
#3635306 - 08/30/12 07:27 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I know what you mean about porting stuff over. I had DOZENS of great coop missions for LOMAC/FC that don't work with FC2. I had many great ones for Black Shark that don't work with BS2. In both cases, it's because the terrain has changed between them.
Then you have the odd shift in the community where most MP missions are no longer freely distributed for the latest ED sims like they were back before and up to the early days of DCS.

I don't WANT to join a squadron or even play on a public server to play those missions. I prefer DLing them and running them just for the small group of players I fly coop with. Our own server, locked away, where we can fly as we want with no worries about how others might want to play or ruin our day.

Oh, you can add ROF to that list as well, most of the coop missions I have are from the early days of the sim, if you want to fly the recent released planes seems like only dogfight missions are made now. frown

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3635433 - 08/30/12 11:21 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
JM note if you join a server - that particular mission is Downloaded and stored by DCS. If you want to fly it yourself with friends, just fish it out of C:\Users\<User Name>\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer and open it in the Mission editor and save it again.

Nate

#3635481 - 08/31/12 01:36 AM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

On that note if a guy spends 20 hours making his mission for a particular server- is there no way to protect the proprietary nature of that mission? Everyone gets all anti about pirating software- but that's essentially what you're saying here: play a mission that someone else made and use it whatever way you want.

I think if people want to protect their mission info at least for the sake of promoting the use of dedicated servers- then they should be allowed to. Any chance to make that an option?

#3635739 - 08/31/12 02:23 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Hey y'all!
I remember some gentle soul (Ice, maybe? or Wreckin'Crew?) tailor made for me a great Monitor .lua file so I could always have the MFD on the screen without having to zoom in all the time.

Well, I got me a new monitor and I was thinking I'd love to change that file a bit to better fit the 2 screens I have now.

Where are those files gone? I mean which DCS World folder? Can't seem to find them anymore.

Thanks in advance...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3635811 - 08/31/12 04:48 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi komemiute -
Must have been - Ice. I run DCS on one 30" monitor. I am pretty sure that - Ice is running multiple monitors and has dealt with that and DCS World.

---

^^^ That thing about being able to abscond with any multiplayer mission is bothersome. One day I signed onto the Multiplayer Lobby and saw one of my brand new missions being hosted on another server, under a modified name. I put a lot of thought and time and logic into my missions and they are there to play on Eno's Firehouse which is open for anyone to join and enjoy. Anyone can request a particular mission and we are happy to host it. But to find my work on another server without my permission feels like stealing from me. Maybe DCS does own the IP since I used their software to develop my missions... I've seen a Moa mission on another server, too, and know for a fact that was also taken w/o permission. How would DCS like it if someone took their software and offered it under a slightly different title? Not too, I imagine... Missions should have a security feature for sharing, or not. I have shared my missions when requested so I don't have a problem under those conditions. But think of how you would feel if someone took your mission and modified it and basically presented it as their own work - whether it was a title change or something more extensive. In fact I've seen some ranting about that for other sims here at SimHQ in years past - and I've seen it for other work such as documentation where it was reported AT DCS FORUMS.

WC

#3635851 - 08/31/12 06:29 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
JonnyD Offline
JonnyD  Offline

The Fens, UK
Komemiute - give me your monitor sizes and I'll do the lua file for you.

It goes into DCS World/Config/MonitorSetup

- or just look up this post at LOF and do it yourself smile

I say it as I see it
#3635962 - 08/31/12 10:00 PM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Well, thanks!
I've the main monitor 1920x1080 and the secondary is 1024x1280.

No mistake the secondary is with the short side on top.

I'd LOVE to have the MFD side by side on top of the secondary screen with the cockpit ones blacked out.

biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3636061 - 09/01/12 03:26 AM Re: I knew I would regret it... [Re: JonnyD]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

I would like to see some dev feedback on this mission issue. I had Nate jump on me owner another issue. I expect to see someone weigh in here.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.