Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3634335 - 08/29/12 12:11 AM I would like a Mission De-Briefing  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri - USA
The game has a mission briefing. I would like a de-briefing kind of like this.

Race you to the Mucky Duck!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3634422 - 08/29/12 08:33 AM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
There is a debriefing page and a results page. IMO it's quite good as it is now.

#3634526 - 08/29/12 02:51 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
norm Offline
norm  Offline

I for one, for single missions, wish you could opt out of viewing the stats. When I fly a Pat Wilson career, it would be nice to not see the automatically logged kills etc after the flight, so we have a bit more doubt when filing claims. (there have been times where I've thought I had only gotten one kill during the mission, but have actually gotten to. I would have claimed the one, but because of seeing the auto logged results, I've claimed successfully for two. Would prefer it if I had to actually witness the kill with out the computer informing me that it was successful.) Personally, I love the feature in Pat Wilson of filing your own combat report, good immersive bit, putting in the kill claim, and typing up the report...

#3634637 - 08/29/12 06:17 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, EAW had a lot of great touches. Personally, I thought the best debriefing of any sim was F-19 back in 1988. You saw a map and your flight path was drawn on it Indiana Jones-style with it pausing at each event. So you saw where you were when you dropped the bomb on the target, where you were when the SAM fired at you, where you got shot down by that MiG...

The log-style is 2nd best, and the simple kill card like Arma 2, Il-2, ROF, and other sims have had just leave me flat. "Oh, I got 3 planes and 4 buildings? Ok."

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3634692 - 08/29/12 07:50 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I keep saying that Strike Eagle III had the best iteration ever of F-19 Debrief! biggrin

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3634716 - 08/29/12 08:39 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: LukeFF]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: LukeFF
There is a debriefing page and a results page. IMO it's quite good as it is now.

It's farily impersonal and "computerish" looking, does not really have that "blackboard" period aviation feel.

Need more western historians and fewer Eastern Bloc computer geeks designing the look of the interface . . .

#3634859 - 08/30/12 02:29 AM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Nimits]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Nimits
Need more western historians and fewer Eastern Bloc computer geeks designing the look of the interface . . .

That's fairly insulting, given that career mode does have a blackboard interface.

#3634939 - 08/30/12 05:49 AM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Seriously? Go look at every other sim title GUI out there and then go look at ROF again. We have one of the most period centric looking GUIs every made.

Jason

#3634991 - 08/30/12 08:42 AM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
I am quite happy with the current GUI style and the info it contains.
Two things if I may add.
Best briefings debriefings I encountered in a game:
The interactive cinematics in Wing Commander (or any other Origin/Chris Roberts stuff)
Old ones like me should well remember, verbal briefing/debriefing by the commander with personal remarks, discussions in the bar/hangar, funeral of your friends, medals given during a ceremony, promotions etc.
But (and that is a huge but) do not missunderstood me, I am well aware that this wouldn't work in Rise of Flight, because its a completely different game and different type of story telling. So once again, its not a request, just a nostalgic half post. smile

2, Some ideas I would like to see to be implemented.
I think I would like to see a bit more immersion and I have the following suggestions:
- old photographs, hundreds of them. Crashed planes when you lost the misson, pilots drinking in the bar when you win, any other photographs around the life of a ww1 pilot. Just throw it in the backround. You need a lot and do it in a controlled random way, not be repetative.
- Interactive music. (I see your eyebrows going high, no, not inflight, only for the gui). Contemporary ones. Only in the background. Bring on the slower sad ones when you die or crash, medium tempo ones with reduced volume during browsing the gui, and inspiring ones during mission briefing. Good smooth mixing, and it would work perfectly. Yep, and for all the guys do not like it, a switch with a 'music off/on' label on it.

Most of these cna be done with community help, hunting down and organising old photographs and music.
If there is a chance that it could happen, I am more than happy to do the latter, I already have nice collection of contemporary music, and internet has a biugger collection than me.
Let me hear your thoughts.
Cheers

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3635062 - 08/30/12 12:55 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Jedi Master]  
PatrickAWilson Offline
PatrickAWilson  Offline

Tx
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Yeah, EAW had a lot of great touches. Personally, I thought the best debriefing of any sim was F-19 back in 1988. You saw a map and your flight path was drawn on it Indiana Jones-style with it pausing at each event. So you saw where you were when you dropped the bomb on the target, where you were when the SAM fired at you, where you got shot down by that MiG...

The log-style is 2nd best, and the simple kill card like Arma 2, Il-2, ROF, and other sims have had just leave me flat. "Oh, I got 3 planes and 4 buildings? Ok."

The Jedi Master

Now there's an idea. I already have most of the pieces in place. It looks like events have locations associated. If so I can do that for RoF ... Take off ... reached WP ... Took damage ... scored victory ... so and so crashed, etc. etc. all in a timed play through with start/stop event capability.

#3635291 - 08/30/12 07:04 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Don't kill yourself to make it work, but if it's really not that much beyond what you've already got I'd love to see it. To date I've flown very little SP in ROF because of time constraints (it's mostly been coop MP for me), but I've never really "dug" the debrief.

I've no complaints about the GUI itself, to me EVERY sim's GUI has some shortcomings, I've never thought "this is perfect", but ROF's isn't worse in any significant way. I just agree that the debriefs could use some zip to aid in overall immersion. Right now, all you get is a generic "victory/defeat/incomplete". It's often not clear WHY that rating was given. Did I need to shoot down 1 more plane/blow up one more train/etc? Was a plane that needed to survive brought down? Some mission makers are good about on-screen status updates to fill you in, but others aren't, and honestly knowing I succeeded or failed would more properly be divulged at the debriefing instead of during flight, right?

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3635688 - 08/31/12 12:51 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: Uriah]  
PatrickAWilson Offline
PatrickAWilson  Offline

Tx
I have the interactive debrief in the queue for 11.2. I already have all of the pieces. I have a map. I have that ability to draw on precise locations on that map. I already know how to auto scroll to a location on that map. I already read the mission logs. The mission logs tell me what, when, and where. Now I just have to put them together in a different way.

Save the mission log events and queue up chronologically.
Draw the map the same way that I do for the briefing.
Draw the events just as I do the waypoints for the briefing
Delay a few seconds between events.

Not quite as trivial as it sounds, but it really is 80% there.

#3635902 - 08/31/12 07:45 PM Re: I would like a Mission De-Briefing [Re: norm]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: norm
I for one, for single missions, wish you could opt out of viewing the stats. When I fly a Pat Wilson career, it would be nice to not see the automatically logged kills etc after the flight, so we have a bit more doubt when filing claims. (there have been times where I've thought I had only gotten one kill during the mission, but have actually gotten to. I would have claimed the one, but because of seeing the auto logged results, I've claimed successfully for two. Would prefer it if I had to actually witness the kill with out the computer informing me that it was successful.) Personally, I love the feature in Pat Wilson of filing your own combat report, good immersive bit, putting in the kill claim, and typing up the report...

What I do is decide what my kill claim will be before I land. Then, regardless of what the game says happened, I claim only what I had already planned to claim. Yeah, I regret at times that I will claim less than the game would have awarded me, but I rationalize that if this were real, I would likely never have known about the ones that did go down that I did not witness & claim.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.