Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3634097 - 08/28/12 05:10 PM Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :)  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Greets all. Ok, I bought a Warthog HOTAS about 10 days ago and I'm having some problems with setup. Love it in general, the throttle is great though I'm not a massive fan of the spring strength in the stick, and think I'm getting some "sticktion" issues due to bad greasing/dodgy unit. Tempted to do the big spring removal mod at some point, place the smaller springs up top and add some washers to them which I think would be more to my liking. Not at the mo though, obviously this would pork the warranty.

Anyway, did all the firmware updating etc as per instructions and I now have according to TARGET GUI

Throttle: FW: 19 SN:#501T124A000390

Joystick: FW: 11 SN#500T124A000468

I am a noob with TARGET, in the "Device Analyzer" section the values with "Enable Hardware deadzone" checked on the Joystick are

X: 32768
Y: 32768

Full throw both axis all directions, it returns to this. Which I'm led to believe is spot on and thats what the values should be? Travel is smooth enough, no real spikes or jumps etc. However, when "Enable Hardware deadzone" is disabled, the X axis centre value varies quite erratically between 32000 and 33000 + upon going full throw left and right then centering .....Is this what happens with you too or is the value constant (or near enough?) Maybe I'm being anal but I did spend a lot of Lira on it lol.....this is disappointing? Or maybe I'm expecting too much and this is normal without "Hardware deadzone" enabled? smile

I downloaded the "HW Stick calibration" tool V1_10 and tried it out but it doesn't seem to help. dizzy In game in almost all sims, I am rolling right (or sometimes even left) with stick centered after eliminating all things like weather/torque/P factor variables blah blah etc. At first I thought it was due to the A10s "asymmetric loading" which was why I was having to trim LWD/RWD all the time. Then tried in all other sims, same issue and its not because of that I'm now convinced. Maybe I am doing it wrong as the instructions are a bit vague. When it asks to "move slowly up then press space", are you to hold the "up" position, then press space, or to move slowly up, return to centre, then press space? I've tried both ways, and neither seems to make any difference.

TBH, I can get more "precision" out of a bargain basement stick atm, note that I'm not condemning the stick, its obvious somethings gone wrong somewhere down the line lol (probably my end).

Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks kindly. smile

EDIT: Mods, I know this should probably be in "Hardware" section, but can you leave it for a bit so it gets some views first? Thanks a bunch. thumbsup

Last edited by Biggles07; 08/28/12 05:34 PM.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3634229 - 08/28/12 08:46 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Biggles07]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Biggles,
I have two Warthogs and I have spent maybe 1 minute in TARGET software.

I'm using Windows 7 Control Panel to calibrate my HOTAS. Then I use the DCS A-10C Options to set my axis curves and deadzones. See here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3347043/Pass_the_Grey_Poupon_please.html#Post3347043

Maybe you don't need to use TARGET, either. I realize I am not answering your questions the way you might expect. But I don't see any need to use TARGET for DCS A-10C and a Warthog. If you do want to stick with TARGET, do take the time to check the Windows calibration, too - maybe they interact.

When the calibration software says to move the stick in a certain direction and press a button, hold the stick in the intended direction when you press the button. Make sure to calibrate the throttle's microstick, too.

In DCS A-10C I always have to trim to get a level flight - it is never trimmed at the start to speak of. And after a bit of using the gas and dropping some ordance I have to trim again for the new balance.

I'm not flying other sims so can't talk about other a/c experience.

WC

#3634245 - 08/28/12 09:10 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Biggles07]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

Bigtime tm warthog advocate here. Worked almost flawless out of the box- though I do see a lot of questions about responsiveness and trimming.

One thing you need to adjust is the trim hat- seems to be slaved to panning the view around. You'll need to reassign those keys. Maybe that'll help?

#3634254 - 08/28/12 09:19 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
Biggles,

I'm using Windows 7 Control Panel to calibrate my HOTAS. Then I use the DCS A-10C Options to set my axis curves and deadzones. See here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3347043/Pass_the_Grey_Poupon_please.html#Post3347043

Maybe you don't need to use TARGET, either. I realize I am not answering your questions the way you might expect. But I don't see any need to use TARGET for DCS A-10C and a Warthog. If you do want to stick with TARGET, do take the time to check the Windows calibration, too - maybe they interact.

When the calibration software says to move the stick in a certain direction and press a button, hold the stick in the intended direction when you press the button. Make sure to calibrate the throttle's microstick, too.

In DCS A-10C I always have to trim to get a level flight - it is never trimmed at the start to speak of. And after a bit of using the gas and dropping some ordance I have to trim again for the new balance.

WC

Roger that Crew and thanks for confirmation that I have to hold the stick in the directed position then press space to proceed to next direction. So will Windows 7 (my OS too) "game controllers" calibration do the trick too? I was unsure as to whether it would calibrate it properly or not. If so, I'll try that then. thumbsup

Those curves look interesting and cheers for the link. I already have changed saturation for the throttle slew and I have curves on my Saitek pedals as the rudder is crazily oversensitive overwise. I think I may give your stick X-Y curve a go, though I'm personally happy with the throttle as it is.

Cheers and thanks very much for the help Crew. smile

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3634264 - 08/28/12 09:36 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: eno75]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Originally Posted By: eno75
Bigtime tm warthog advocate here. Worked almost flawless out of the box- though I do see a lot of questions about responsiveness and trimming.

One thing you need to adjust is the trim hat- seems to be slaved to panning the view around. You'll need to reassign those keys. Maybe that'll help?

Yep eno, the trim hat was the only control that needed to be changed, did it first thing. Everything else was set up as it should be for A10-C. thumbsup I think my main 'gripe' is the relative difficulty I have in making minute adjustments around the sticks centre point....for things like landing approaches, A-A refuelling etc. I suspect the ball/gimbal is greased inadequately as it is definitely 'sticky' around centre. I even gave it ten days before posting here to 'adjust' to the stick and get lots of practice in before ranting lol, but TBH I can get far greater small movement precision around centre point with other sticks like my CH Fighter stick and G940 (on lower tension setting).

I find it almost impossible to control the trickier 'rotary' engine type aircraft with the stick in Rise of Flight (yes I accept its not designed for that, but was hoping I'd be using it for all my sims. For Falcon BMS, its great and I have a TARGET script running for it which does a good enough imitation of the Cougar throttle. IL2/CoD, not really happy with it, I can fly much more accurately and cleaner with other sticks and I've given it a good go. Everyones different though I suppose. smile

I've practised a lot doing very small 'reps' around centre point, and controlling its return to centre in a smooth manner and consistent speed. its just the spring strength to me that I find a bit too much (and I'm not a weakling lol). Ideally, they would have made it adjustable like the throttle, but oh well. I can always give that mod a try one day (with washers on the moved small springs and removal of big spring) which I think I might. Looks easy enough, and easily put back if I don't like it. I love the throttle though, its great. smile

Last edited by Biggles07; 08/28/12 09:39 PM.

Sir Winston Churchill
#3635123 - 08/30/12 02:47 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
SlapStik Offline
SlapStik  Offline

Concord, NC
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
Biggles,

WC

Not intended to hijack but I'm re-installing so I have a related question!

Since you do not use Target, did you even install Target or just use Win7?
Thanks

DFord8 aka SlapStik
Intel i7 2600K SB, DDR3 1600 8 gb ram, Win7 64,
EVGA GTX 570 1280gb, Intel 80gb SSD.
TM Warthog #1547, MFD pack, CH PP & TIR4

#3635148 - 08/30/12 03:45 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Biggles07]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
I find it almost impossible to control the trickier 'rotary' engine type aircraft with the stick in Rise of Flight (yes I accept its not designed for that, but was hoping I'd be using it for all my sims. For Falcon BMS, its great and I have a TARGET script running for it which does a good enough imitation of the Cougar throttle. IL2/CoD, not really happy with it, I can fly much more accurately and cleaner with other sticks and I've given it a good go. Everyones different though I suppose.

True statements!

I bought my Warthog HOTAS to replace my X52 Pro, but found I preferred the older stick for my WWII games and for DCS Ka-50 as well. I do use the Warthog for P-51D and really enjoy the split throttle, but the stick just feels awfully stiff. For some reason, this doesn't bother me with the Hog.

BTW, I would love to get your TARGET script for BMS, if you don't mind sharing it. PM with a link, or I can PM you my email address.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3641421 - 09/10/12 12:10 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
I find it almost impossible to control the trickier 'rotary' engine type aircraft with the stick in Rise of Flight (yes I accept its not designed for that, but was hoping I'd be using it for all my sims. For Falcon BMS, its great and I have a TARGET script running for it which does a good enough imitation of the Cougar throttle. IL2/CoD, not really happy with it, I can fly much more accurately and cleaner with other sticks and I've given it a good go. Everyones different though I suppose.

True statements!

I bought my Warthog HOTAS to replace my X52 Pro, but found I preferred the older stick for my WWII games and for DCS Ka-50 as well. I do use the Warthog for P-51D and really enjoy the split throttle, but the stick just feels awfully stiff. For some reason, this doesn't bother me with the Hog.

BTW, I would love to get your TARGET script for BMS, if you don't mind sharing it. PM with a link, or I can PM you my email address.

Hello Einstein, and many apologies for the delay in replying.....I've been away for a bit. Ok, the script is not mine and is a French Lads called "Dimebug", which was found here on SimHQ. Here you go, with instructions.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3382909/BMS_Profile_for_TM_Warthog.html

Tailor it to your liking, not saying its the Holy Grail, but its a pretty good starting point and cheers to Dimebug. I use mike fwd/aft for radar range knob up/down....I like that he uses the boat switch for dogfight-override and MRM override too....Good idea and its very handy in a knife fight/scrap. smile

Sir Winston Churchill
#3641592 - 09/10/12 11:35 AM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Biggles07]  
UnderTheRadar Offline
Hotshot
UnderTheRadar  Offline
Hotshot

Austin, TX
I think the problem is that your little english hands can't handle the controls of this GIGANTIC AMERICAN DEATH MACHINE LOL smile

I have gaming PCs that run everything from MS-DOS 6.22 to Windows 7 64-bit

Win7 Home Prem 64
i5-3570
ASRock HM77
XFX Radeon HD 6950 2 Gig
8 Gigs GSkill DDR3 1600
500 Gig Samsung 840 SSD
1 TB WD Black SATA II HD
Plextor 24x DVD-RW
ViewSonic VA2702w 1920x1080
HP L2206tm 1920x1080 Multi-Touch Screen
Antec Neo 550w PS
Antec Full Tower Case
Warthog 1663 w/ CH Pro Pedals
TIR4 w/ Clip
Logitech G110 KB
Razer Naga
#3641639 - 09/10/12 12:55 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: Biggles07]  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Warthog sticks are made in China by a French company wink not much American in that !

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#3641715 - 09/10/12 03:00 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: SlapStik]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: SlapStik
Since you do not use Target, did you even install Target or just use Win7?
Thanks

Hey SlapStick,
Sorry, just saw this post from you.

If Target is still installed then I did that a couple of years ago and have not been back to it. I am using Windows 7 64 bit and I do all my calibrations in Windows Control Panel.

WC

#3641845 - 09/10/12 06:41 PM Re: Thrustmaster Warthog Woe......Need help with Joystick calibration please :) [Re: UnderTheRadar]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Originally Posted By: UnderTheRadar
I think the problem is that your little english hands can't handle the controls of this GIGANTIC AMERICAN DEATH MACHINE LOL smile

Quote:
Warthog sticks are made in China by a French company wink not much American in that
!

Beat me to it, bonny lad. smile Anyways, it seems like I've got a fan-cum stalker. How cute. He thinks he can wind me up. He is very much mistaken. biggrin

Sir Winston Churchill

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.