Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3628106 - 08/17/12 02:54 PM Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!!  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Having just been through a great harrrrrangggg with Steam ( trying to play CIV5 ) has not been fun.

With all of your work on WOFF I would hate to see the "cheaters" rob you of the $$$ that are owed to you. So please place some kind of protection in place other than STEAM or one of the other "cyber- big brothers" out there.

I often find myself where an internet connection is nowhere to be found and the "DISK" is my only acess to the game ( that I paid for ).

Thanks for all of the good fun so far flying the old "kites".

CW3SF

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3628135 - 08/17/12 03:13 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I have to say I have many games on steam, and haven't had any major problems, so it's not all doom and gloom.
I'm sure the dev team will do what is right for them to maximise their profits smile

#3628152 - 08/17/12 03:42 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Who mentioned ANYTHING about Steam, other than you guys, one pro and one con

There's no such thing as Bad Weather, only unsuitable clothing
#3628161 - 08/17/12 03:57 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

It would be great if it were on steam, then we could easily download the game again if we had hard drive failure or something.

I'll never understand people's ridiculous distaste for Steam.

#3628191 - 08/17/12 04:52 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
I've lowered my Bandwidth but I still have cable, so it's no trouble to me. But what of the person on dial-up. I know of 2, Cable Just Isn't available in their area.

They go and spend $50 for game, only to discover they need an internet connection to play it

Believe it or not, there were games before Steam

#3628291 - 08/17/12 07:28 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

There were, but that is quickly going away my friend, you and everyone else in the world will have to adapt eventually because disk based format is going away very quickly.

#3628311 - 08/17/12 07:59 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

That depends on the developers, I'd say.
If I'd have to go online each time to be able to play a game, I wouldn't play it.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3628334 - 08/17/12 08:37 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

you can put steam in offline mode and play if your internet is crap or something.

#3628426 - 08/17/12 11:53 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: redpiano]  
Uncleal Offline
Uncleal  Offline

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: redpiano
you can put steam in offline mode and play if your internet is crap or something.

I was under the impression, the benifit of steam was to allow the use of more data than could be stored on your DVD

So now you're saying I need Steam's permission to play my own game

At a time that there are stricter and stricter government controls on the use of the internet

We in the western world are spoiled by our internet availability, I hope it continues

In response to your original wish, when and if OBD utilizes steam, they lose control of their data. Something I doubt will ever happen

#3628495 - 08/18/12 04:17 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I purchased a game years ago (Total War Empire) and when I got it home and discovered that it required STEAM to activate it, I never even broke the plastic wrap. As a result, it still sets on my shelf brand new since I will never use it as long as STEAM is required in any way.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#3628541 - 08/18/12 08:26 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Perhaps this thread would get a bit more informal, if someone with the knowledge
about STEAM or other such services could post their "pro" and/or "contra" views,
confirmed with the reasons for their views?

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3628570 - 08/18/12 10:55 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Freiherr_Wulff Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!
Freiherr_Wulff  Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!

Dudley UK
A brand new Empire Total War unopened and unloved.... sitting on a shelf.... oh the shame....

I used to really hate Steam. and still do sometimes. but you can set steam to offline and still launch the games in your library longs they not online only games, or so you used to be able to do. I think you need to add desktop icons for the games so you can launch them from desktop but i can't remember. I dont have any Steam games installed at the moment to check it.

My biggest hate bout Steam is if you own the game on a CD, that you have previously installed, but have since uninstalled for whatever reasons. when you try to install it again Steam wants to download the entire game, even thou you've run the install from the CD. and its a pain sometimes just to get Steam to forget bout downloading and just run the CD install that said.

Steam does keep your games in a library for you and even if they are not installed they are still listed and can be installed at a click. Steam also offers some great games at reduced prices due to them being digital downloads, but also special offers. and being able to use paypal is a big bonus. specially given alot of games today have after release addons or downloadable content stuff you wouldnt want sittig on a disk taking up shelf space.

WOFF and Steam.

My views i wouldn't be put off at the thought of WOFF being on Steam. If Steam was to provide the online arena for WOFF to be played in then, i am all for it,because prehaps that draw in new members in a steady stream if all was executed well. Also the modders could link up with OBD Software and provide downloadable content and prehaps get something back for the hard work they put in.
However if you feel strongly about a game you want to buy, regardless of certain options being cheaper, I think you should go out and buy the hard copy of the game but maybe thats just me.

Last edited by Freiherr_Wulff; 08/18/12 10:59 AM.

Excuse my grammar please. I struggle writing English

Patience is not a virtue, Its a waste of time.

Wings Over Flanders Fields Pics/Videos on my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VonWulf

#3628573 - 08/18/12 11:10 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
My thoughts on Steam are only positive,as long as internet access isn't a problem.
Ok,I have had a few problems over the years but these were fixed by either opening a support ticket or just browsing the relevant Steam game forum.
Freiherr,I believe there is a way to force Steam to install from the disc.
Anyway,if you make a Steam back-up (which I do as soon as a game is installed) this need never be a problem anyway).

I would rather buy a game on Steam than retail and that goes for WOFF as well.

Last edited by Chucky; 08/18/12 11:11 AM. Reason: grammar

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3628576 - 08/18/12 11:19 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

I've used steam since 2006. When steam first came out in 2003 everyone hattteeddd it, I don't know why because I wasn't a PC gamer at the time but in the last four or five years Steam has become THE place to buy games on the PC.

On average Steam has 4 million people logged in per day, there are over 25 million users signed up on steam.

Pros and cons?

Pros:

- All your games in one place, easy to launch and quick to access, saves you clutter both on your hard drive and desktop.

- Automatic updates, you don't have to search around on the web to find an update for your games anymore because steam automatically updates games whenever a new patch is uploaded by the developer. This can be turned off if you have slow internet.

- Steam puts up game sales on a daily basis, there are daily sales which are smaller single game sales, weekly sales which are large featured packs and sets of games for a bigger discount and then there's event sales like the summer sale, christmas sale etc. that throw up tons of games for huge discounts. It is possible to get some games cheaper from other sites but for the most part nobody beats Steam.

- Steam has a friendslist, you can chat, voice chat, upload and share screenshots to your profile, have multi person voice chats, games that are steam enabled you can easily invite friends to your server or match through the steam interface and with the game overlay you can also chat with them, open web pages in the game if you need to look something up without minimizing and it's just really convenient to have all your friends in one place to talk to whenever.

I mean I just don't see what's not to like unless you have poor internet and even then so what, they support indie devs really well and they get your game out to a lot of people really easily; what's not to like?

I don't really have any cons personally, there's some bugs I run into with my friends list but nothing that affects my games. Occasionally during a big game launch servers will get busy and you might have trouble downloading your game but that can be worked around by changing download servers.

HOWEVER I doubt that WOFF can be on steam unless they manage to get the CFS3 engine from microsoft or whatever it is they have to do so that you no longer require CFS3 to play it, because I doubt that Steam would allow that and if they did nobody would buy it.

Last edited by redpiano; 08/18/12 11:24 AM.
#3628577 - 08/18/12 11:22 AM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: Panama Red]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

Originally Posted By: Panama Red
I purchased a game years ago (Total War Empire) and when I got it home and discovered that it required STEAM to activate it, I never even broke the plastic wrap. As a result, it still sets on my shelf brand new since I will never use it as long as STEAM is required in any way.

Why? I really would like to know, do you have dial up?

#3628592 - 08/18/12 12:07 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
Freiherr_Wulff Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!
Freiherr_Wulff  Offline
OFF Gives you WINGS!

Dudley UK
Just checked this if you installed games on steam that have a offline mode. If you sign into your stream account in offline mode you can still launch and play your offline games.

I just tried this with Civ IV Colonization which is a digital download version not CD version. I'm pretty sure you can do this with the Total Wars I have Empire,Napoleon and Shogun 2. I'm certain i've played Empire and Shogun 2 without a internet connection so i assuming i've played Napoleon without 1 also thou i think Napolean has a online built into its single player so that might have issues i dont know.

if steam doesn't detect internet it does give you a option to sign in offline if i remember correctly also you can change to offline mode if you sign into steam while online by click steam in top left corner. my guess if your in offline mode you can sign out your dial up.

So no excuses install that Empire Total War Panama Red smile

Excuse my grammar please. I struggle writing English

Patience is not a virtue, Its a waste of time.

Wings Over Flanders Fields Pics/Videos on my Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/VonWulf

#3628593 - 08/18/12 12:08 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

You need to make sure you click "save my password" when you sign in next and that'll let you go into offline mode.

#3628599 - 08/18/12 12:23 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
steam can be useful, if you're careful and know what you're doing. I hated it at first, but it grows on you. As copyprotection takes a back seat, indie developers and players will use it more.

It's important though to use multiple distribution mediums, it's common sense. Amazon is great, i've bought all my games through it for the last 5 years. Steam and Itunes are becoming more widely used for music, and well worth exploring for future releases.

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#3628619 - 08/18/12 01:05 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: redpiano]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: redpiano

HOWEVER I doubt that WOFF can be on steam unless they manage to get the CFS3 engine from microsoft or whatever it is they have to do so that you no longer require CFS3 to play it, because I doubt that Steam would allow that and if they did nobody would buy it.

Red makes a valid point. Unless this is somehow resolved, the rest is moot.

Hellshade

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#3628645 - 08/18/12 02:29 PM Re: Is "STEAM" going to be linked to WOFF?? I hope not!!! [Re: CW3SF]  
CW3SF Offline
CW3SF  Offline

colorado & arizona
Steam is hatefull in about all ways unless you have a steady good internet conection. And of course in our lifestyle of traveling full time in our RV, we are often way out of range of any internet.

I have asked over and over just how to play CIV 5 while offline and as wierd as it may be, this is advice. Go online FIRST and then turn off ( ie: unplug MIFI in my case ) and continue to play offline and not turn off the computer. What a waste of electricty not to
mention the cost. All this for a $60 dollor game my kids sent me as a gift.

When my new computer arrived ( you folks were a GREAT help with all that ) I made one small error in typing in a code and it took weeks
to get clear instructions as to just what processes to go through so Steam ( and I think steam valve -- what ever that is ) would let me play MY GAME!

Most of the nasty "geeks" on the CIV 5 forum thought that is was very funny that I was having a hard time with steam. The number of incorrect postings as to just how to get back with steam was massive, and I feel intentional.

Every time I try to play offine the little box comes up and says try to reconnect with the internet and then log into steam.
One final bit, before you can logout a very large avert box pops up to offer all sorts of games. After you erase that advert box
and then try to shut off the computer a larger box pops up to say STEAM is not letting the computer shut off. This will last for a short time until steam is done.

I have had a bellyfull of STEAM, and would NEVER buy any game linked to steam or any other "cloud in the sky --- big brother" that
takes over some of my computer's function or time.

Being able to put in a disk and fly those great "kites" in "OFF" is wonderfull. Thanks to all who put it together.

CW3SF (some where in the Rockys of Colorado, soon to go Elk hunting with my son and grandson)

Origin made- silverstone case,ASUS Max VI Extreme , CPU intel Core i7 4770k, cooling asotex 570LC, NVIDA 3G GTX 780 Ti , Mem 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 ,game drive 120GB INTEL X25 SS, OS drive 1TB, Win 7 home Prem.Logitech G105 key board,BenQ XL2430 Gaming Monitor.
All pilots owe me a beer. Retired USAF Rescue/Survival, Special Forces, and MI (after I got old and grey).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.