I was going to wait until it was in the air and do one big final post, but since you asked, here's an update:
So I converted the wing mount block into two blocks to allow the aileron control rods to move freely.
That worked, and everything feels good. Next up, seal the gaps in the wing mount. I chose to cover the wing mount area with wax paper and then put silicone on the wing saddle. When it dries, I've got a nice tight seal. The alternative to this is to use foam tape, which works, just not as sexily.
Here you can see the white line of silicone in the wing/fuse gap.
Over the time this has been on the bench and moved around a bit, it took a little damage in the wing (aka "hangar rash")
So that gets patched up too.
Here she is sitting on the grass for an engine test.
And the engine works!
Balance is very important. I found it was a bit tail heavy, so I added some weight to the nose to keep it balanced.
Now I'm waiting for these #$$%^ winds to die down a bit. I've seen nothing but high teens/20's for (it seems like) weeks!
I've also got some scale things to add - my wife painted the pilot very nicely for me, and I've got a nice Vickers gun for
it as well.
I'll update again when I've got more, hopefully a video of the first flight!