Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3575157 - 05/18/12 09:41 PM OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights  
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People Offline
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People  Offline

OFFbase: an immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights for Over Flanders Fields. See this post for a quick tutorial / example of gameplay. More screen-shots are available here.

- OFFbase focuses on squadron-based play. Take turns flying multiple pilots in a squadron while sharing the same roster--and more. Separate wingmen are assigned and flights split as much as possible. See your other squadron pilots in the duty roster with you! Fly as a rookie pilot in your favorite squadron while taking your long-time veteran out on the occasion you work up the nerve. If your pilot dies, you can start a new pilot to take over for him with the same squadmates and everything, and continue your squadron's story throughout the war.

- OFFbase puts you right in the Squadron HQ, where you can visit the Adjutant to manage your career, kick back in Lodgings that you may share with a roommate, go down to the Mess for food or drink and see how your squadmates are doing (and listen to the squadron band in the evenings), head out to the Airfield to fly campaign missions, or reminisce over fallen heroes at the squadron memorial. The quality of your squadron's facilities develops over time.

- OFFbase implements and expands Bletchley's Pilot Personality Profiles (3P) to give each pilot in the squad individual personality that informs how they behave and relate to each other. Engage in many different types of social encounters, mediated by personality traits. Personalities are composed of unique combinations of character traits, summarized by Attributes that rank characters in the following dimensions: Aerial Skill, Aggression, Charisma, Intelligence, Physicality, and Professionalism. With hundreds of billions of possibilities, the character's you'll meet in OFFbase are complex, distinctive, and completely individual in their behavior.

- OFFbase builds on 3P with academic game theory to make social encounters richer, more intuitive, and open to different styles of play. Will you try to out-do other pilots, enhancing your short-run prestige at their expense, or try to build both your reputations through long-run friendship and social support? Your success at playing different strategies depends on the rank, personality, and social skills of your pilot character, as well as who the other player is and what they're trying to achieve. Over repeat encounters you'll come to know how different characters react in different situations, and what strategies work for your character. The result is a natural learning process on both sides.

- OFFbase makes complex yet intuitive social encounters possible by giving characters in your squadron artificial intelligence (AI). They remember how you and other pilots have treated them in the past, learn from their mistakes, and form social strategies to pursue their own goals based on their own rank, personality, social skills, and history. Some may try to boost their careers by bullying subordinates to make themselves look better, others may focus on building peer networks, while some may do a bit of both depending on who they like and who they don't.

- OFFbase features a full dynamic squadron simulation: Non-player pilots have daily encounters with each other, developing their own prestige and goodwill to develop their reputations and earn their own promotions, while periodically going on and returning from leave. All this goes on even as you advance or skip time due to weather, injury, whatever. Watch non-player pilots in your squadron share a drink, talk politics, make friends, get in fights--building relationships that affect how their careers develop, and yours.

- OFFbase introduces Ground Crew, support officers or enlisted such as the squadron Adjutant, Chief Medical Officer, Chaplain, Munitions Officer, and even the Chief of the Mess Hall. Encounter and build relationships with them as well, which can affect your career, and your life, through gameplay. They may serve as stabilizing forces in dark times, or if a bad fit for a squadron disrupt morale.

- OFFbase makes completing missions more rewarding, with additional benefits and costs to your career from shooting down enemy aces, friendly fire, pulling a hat trick by shooting down three or more enemy planes, and taking out ground targets and balloons. If a fellow pilot steals your kill, you can chew him out once you're back at HQ and try to take back some of the prestige he earned instead of you; or apologize and give back prestige if you steal someone else's kill. Some mission results may even affect the development of your pilot's personality by earning additional traits.

- OFFbase brings additional features to the game such as transfers between squadrons, player input on promotions, funerals for dead pilots, and tracking of mission results for your squadmates. Yes that's right--what actually happens to your squadmates in the air while they fly beside you matters now, dependent on and influencing the development of their characters. A Frontiersmen also trained in first aid is more likely to make it home after being downed behind enemy lines, a Cowards more likely to surrender, and a Weakling more likely to be permanently maimed by injury--especially if he's on bad terms with the Chief Medical OFFicer!

- OFFbase accelerates immersion with a built-in mod manager that automatically orders and activates JSGME mods appropriate to your campaign, if installed. See notes on mods below.

The deeper investment in building the career of your pilot and developing relationships with squadmates not only further customizes and enriches the campaign experience, but makes death in the air all the more terrifying, and thus OFF even more fun. Who'll carry your casket to its final resting place? How will your squadron remember him? Play OFFbase and find out!

Installation Notes:

Install the OFFice folder outside your main OFF installation. Anywhere else on any drive should do.It is fully compatible with all other mods and add-ons for Over Flanders Fields.

Mods:

The JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) must be properly installed to utilize this feature. Install JSGME in your root folder (usually "ODBSoftware") alongside your "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields" and "WW1Scenery" folders, not inside either one.

The following mods are currently supported. Just follow the links to download, extract them into JSGME's MODS folder.

Grand Bundle Sounds Mods JSGME Enabled 1.5
Great Bundle Realism Mods JSGME Enabled 1.4
Ultimate Bundle Damage Models JSGME Enabled 1.0
HPW Combined FM and AI EW Mod 2.2

OFFbase will give you a choice which mission and damage model mods to employ.

OFFbase is part of the OFFice (OFF incomplete campaign editor) suite of tools and mods for Over Flanders Fields. Also included so far is:

OFFset - the OFF settings manager. Backup and Restore all of your OFF settings (including system registry, OFF workshops, and the CFS3 config), either in full or in part. Easily restore your OFF experience if you need to reinstall the game, update graphics drivers, or quickly switch back and forth between different settings profiles for different play styles (multiplayer, campaign, DiD, etc.).

This software is classified as Alpha, so your mileage may vary. Likely plenty of bugs but I need feedback and testing. READ THE INCLUDED README FILES!!!

Last edited by Lothar_of_the_Hill_People; 06/09/12 11:53 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3575175 - 05/18/12 10:02 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Reposting some reviews from CombatAce to encourage folks to give OFFbase a try:

Creaghorn:

This is a 3rd party software, which takes immersion to the next level. now all virtual comrades are alive. they have all different characters, different relationships to each other. they interact with you or among each other. they can like you, hate you, or simply be ambivalent. depending on how you treat them, and how they treat you, this friendships can change quickly and get out of hand. on the other hand a squadron now can really become a band of brothers. you definitely will mourn if a good friend doesn't come back from a sortie alive. you will experience if the overall morale increases withing time or if it's maybe going to drop to black with everybody just looking for himself.

this software automatically uses the OFF files to create a completely new world besides the sorties. if you just looked for getting many victories or getting many flighthours in the past, than you will no more. you will notice now that the real life is between the sorties, while the sortie is the necessary evil of beeing at war. you will now notice more who is flying with you. you will take more care about them. you will be more ambivalent to newcomers as long as your old comrades are alive. just as it was in real.

personally my current pilot has about 40 flighthours more since using this great software, and i didn't even notice it.
thank you, Lothar

Herr Prop-Wasche:

OFFbase is simply a must-have addition to Beyond Heaven and Hell. Your squad mates become alive, with different personalities, morale, likes, and dislikes, instead of being just faceless names on the OFF Duty Board in the unmodded version. Relationships between squad mates actually matter, and now can change and develop over time, depending upon your actions as a player, in addition to overall morale, living conditions, and victories and losses.

Using OFFbase is totally seamless and requires no special computer knowledge or manipulation of files. So far, I have encountered no bugs of any kind. An outstanding effort by Lothar. I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5. I'd give it a 5 out of 5, but i don't want to look like a fan-boi.

Three cheers for Lothar!

OlPaint01:

Lothar has done a marvelous job building a very capable squadron/pilot manager. I have enjoyed helping him beta test this great utility.

Lothar has successfully encapsulated, inside a software wrapper, the methodologies and techniques of 'Survival in the Air' and 'Pilot Personality Profiles' authored by Bletchley and British_eh (based on gaming with the 'throw of the dice', and hardcopy inter-action rules tables) to run absorbing pilot-centered campaigns interfaced with the actual OFF air battle results. It takes OFF Campaign mode to next level of immersion.

Highly Recommended!

Play Over Flanders Fields with OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights.
#3575203 - 05/18/12 10:29 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
corsaire31 Offline
corsaire31  Offline

Toulouse, France
Thks, got it !

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.
#3575221 - 05/18/12 11:05 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Lothar, one tip:

Under lodgings for Jasta 2 you write: "tents"

The Jasta pilots rarely ever had to sleep in tents.
They mostly had their rooms in French Chateaus (the French have them in almost every village).
Now, that would be challenging, to find out the name of the Chateaus and list them.
In Pronville, it could have been the Chateau de la Motte Fenelon - at least it looks like.

For example, when Jasta 11 and 12 were based at Roucourt, they lived in Chateau de Béthune.
Of course you could just write "local Chateau" or so.
Only during their fast offensives they may have lived in simpler lodges like barracks.
Never read of tents so far. Only the aircraft and maybe the crew were in tents.
Udet had a room in a little kind of Nissen hut once, but I forgot, which Staffel he was then.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#3575236 - 05/18/12 11:27 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Hey Olham. The choice of lodgings is still just a dice roll as in the old 3P system. It's on a scale of 1 to 6 where 1 is leaky tents and 6 is a requisitioned mansion. But if someone wanted to work up a list of airfields and lodgings types I'd be happy to incorporate it. Could even include historically-accurate airfield quality, which go from 1 being an abysmal field to 6 a full aeropark.

For now should I maybe just restrict the range for German pilots to 5 = barracks or 6 = mansions? How about the other nations?

Play Over Flanders Fields with OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights.
#3575257 - 05/18/12 11:57 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

I have only read 2 British books yet, and both pilots seemed to have lived mostly in barracks.
But for short time Cecil Lewis or Arthur Gould Lee even had to live in tents.
Maybe the British could not have requisitioned any Chateaus from their Allies?

As I said, the Germans mostly seem to have lived in Chateaus.
Julius Buckler (Jasta 17) had taken over a whole railway train with sleeping department waggons.
They have moved these every evening to another place, so they could not get so easily raided.

I guess it would be a tough research to find out all "Chateaus".
I suggest to use "barracks", "train waggons" and "Chateaus(mansions)" for Germans,
and "Tents", "Barracks" and "Nissen huts" for Entente.

But perhaps someone else can help you further here?

#3575952 - 05/20/12 09:28 AM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
kaa Offline
kaa  Offline

France
Too bad I could not make OFFbase run correctly, I'll try to install this new version !

and, not really important of course, but"château " needs a "X" instead of a "S" : un château, des châteaux.

Last edited by kaa; 05/20/12 09:28 AM.

"Anyone can shoot you down if you don't see him coming but it takes a wonderfully good Hun to bag a Camel if you're expecting him."
Tom Cundall.
#3575999 - 05/20/12 12:18 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

Damn, you're right, kaa.
I had French in school, but I forgot about the correct ending.

#3577129 - 05/22/12 04:37 AM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Version 0.7.0 has been uploaded and right now is available here.

In addition to a few bug fixes, there's a new Journalist trait, and players can now select up to 5 traits depending on rank (a dynamic achievement system will eventually handle trait upgrades). Download it now!.

#3577357 - 05/22/12 03:21 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Herr_Prop_Wasche Offline
Herr_Prop_Wasche  Offline

Ohio USA
Lothar,

I had a script error message when trying to install version 0.6.8 onto my machine. It may have had something to do with asking for my forum name at Combatace? However, OFFset seems to work okay.

#3577430 - 05/22/12 04:50 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Hey HPW. 0.6.8 is old, try 0.7.0 which reworks the forum links for SimHQ. If you still get the script error please send it to me so I can debug.

Also, if you're still running Windows XP pre-service pack 3, be sure to update your Windows Script Host (XP SP3 and above it's included): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8247

#3578207 - 05/23/12 05:52 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Herr_Prop_Wasche Offline

Ohio USA
I tried 0.7.0 and still got the script error. It said something about "index not able to resolve empty field" or something like that. This either has to do with my name having underlines in it to represent spaces or because I cannot connect to the internet from my gaming computer.

I vaguely recall you told someone else who was not on the internet how to get OFFbase to initialize, but I can't remember. frown

#3578219 - 05/23/12 06:07 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

0.7.0 no longer authenticates user names with Combat Ace, so no longer connects with the internet. Could you PM me the full text of the console window so I can debug?

#3578285 - 05/23/12 07:49 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Herr_Prop_Wasche Offline

Ohio USA
Be glad to when I get home.

From what I recall, everything seems to initialize until the authentication screen opens up and asks for my forum name. Regardless of whether I enter that and click Save or Cancel, OFFbase then refuses to load and I get the script error. Reinstall doesn't help.

#3580412 - 05/26/12 06:00 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Version 0.7.1 has been posted. In addition to support for both SimHQ and Combat Ace forums along with a Solo mode for HPW, you may now also find your musically-talented squadmates playing in the mess in the evening.

Download it now!

#3580460 - 05/26/12 07:31 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Works well for me, thank you Lothar. I like the addition of ground crew smile2

Bletchley

#3580484 - 05/26/12 08:28 PM Re: OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

To give those of you who haven't played OFF with OFFbase an idea of what it's like, here's a screenshot-guided tutorial of sorts.

After the initial settings, the main window opens where you select a nation and squadron to play. In this case I'll ignore my existing German pilots and click the Create Pilot button. This launches the OFF Manager so I can create an American pilot in the 94th Aero.

After creating the pilot, I Leave OFF Manager to return to OFFbase, which detects the new squadron. I select it in the list, and click Play Squadron.

OFFbase supports multiple pilots in a squadron, here I have just one. I can edit his background directly here, or just continue on with the Play Pilot button:

This button is green like saving changes to your background because it makes changes to your pilot files, synchronizing all your pilots in the squadron to the most recent roster, date given in the lower left. For example, if you have two pilots in the same squad but one in 1917 and 1918, it will put the 1917 pilot On Leave until 1918 when it will rejoin the squad alongside the other pilot. All pilots in the same squadron share a common roster, which persists beyond the life of any one pilot. This squadron-based gameplay is a key feature of OFFbase.

OFFbase needs to know your squadron's Operational Rating (or Status) which isn't stored in the pilot files. You can enter the OFF Manager from here to check in the Campaign screen if need be:

You'll only need to set it again if it changes.

On the first run, OFFbase will simulate 30 days of squadron activity so your squadmates have on-going relationships and career troubles when you arrive:

OFFbase is not just a simulation but a role-playing game. All characters have a Background Trait, which must be set before play:

As a lowly 2nd Lieutenant in the prestigious "hat in the ring" 94th Aero, some higher-ranking officers will take a little pity on the Schoolboy type--but bullies may give them a little extra attention as well. Schoolboys are relatively nicer to Cowards than other types, and gullible to Gamblers.

Higher-ranking pilots will get to choose additional traits when starting an OFFbase campaign, so characters grow more unique with rank. While there are only thirteen distinct 2nd Lieutenant personalities--making rookie pilots fairly disposable--American Lt Colonels come with hundreds of millions of different combinations of traits.

Initial set-up complete, it's time for the introductory sequence as my new character arrives.

The quality of the airfield is a random dice roll.

Now it's time for our first Encounter, the basic gameplay element of OFFbase. When you first meet someone, you do what officers do: Salute.

The text lets you know what kind of encounter, a little about the mood of the other pilot, and how your character feels about the encounter. Schoolboys are more submissive in a Salute than other types. As a player you can influence your pilot's attitude in the encounter. Your pilot character's Artificial Intelligence (AI) chooses its default attitude based on its overall mood and memory of past encounters with the other character.

If both pilots are submissive, they become more friendly. If both are aggressive, they'll dislike each other more. It's the combinations in-between that are interesting (25 possible outcomes to each encounter), each changing how both pilots will behave in the future as both AIs learn in response. In this case, I decide to push my Schoolboy into being extra-submissive to the Captain, hoping he'll be nicer to me in the future.

Well that worked, I guess. I've now met Captain Bingham, and it's pretty clear he's the boss of me.

Sometimes Salutes will be continued into another encounter. Since I've just arrived at the field, perhaps I can get some information out of the Captain:

Schoolboys are excited at asking for directions, making them naturally more aggressive at it. My AI wants to be forward after getting put in place by the Salute, but I'm going to make him even more aggressive. Meanwhile the Captain is more open to me after winning last time. Maybe I can exploit him a little for once?

I got back a little of my prestige and some valuable info on 94th Aero's Adjutant, who I'm about to meet:

My pilot is still a little cranky, having lost more prestige than gained from Captain Bingham, so I'll roll with his forward attitude.

Didn't get shown up quite as badly, but still it's clear these Captains don't respect lowly 2nd Lt. Luther Hill. But now that I've met the Adjutant, I'm in his office:

The description of the mess depends on the Adjutant's personality. Here I can change the Operational Rating if it changes in-game, get a promotion when I've earned enough prestige, or transfer to another squadron. But he doesn't have time for me now, so I leave. On to the mess as he said...

The text in the mess depends on the time of the day, the mood of other pilots, and your relationships with them. Prestige is earned not just through encounters and achievements in the air, but from the support of your squadmates in the form of Goodwill. This is what makes it worth sacrificing short-term prestige to make friendships which pay prestige in the long-term. Learning whom to befriend and whom to exploit, and indeed when to exploit your friends, is only part of the fun, as you're also teaching the AI of other pilots to cooperate or defect

There's one more Encounter to go in this introductory experience:

OFFbase will try to assign a wingman close in rank to you. Maybe this is someone I'll be able to make friends with?

He did seem upset, guess he wasn't in the mood to make friends. But there's a 50% chance we'll share quarters together:

Hope I don't find Lt MacKenzi's practice disruptive, but maybe he'll brighten up the mess in the evenings with his play...

That's it, the end of the introductory sequence. I'm deposited at the Squadron HQ:

What I do next is up to me. Notice how little prestige I have left after all that. I'll have to be careful, if it falls to zero and the Adjutant catches me, he'll have me transferred out of the 94th!

For what happens next in the career of 2nd Lt Luther Hill, stay tuned...

More interested in your own career? Download OFFbase!

#3580520 - 05/26/12 10:21 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

First, I want to extend my appreciation for this creation. It will create an 'immersive' WWI, reminding me of ArgonV outstanding work in recreating WWI and WWII through contemporary music and voice. However, my attempt at installion of your work crashed and burned. I know there is a 'FFU' somewhere, but I cannot figure out where.

I extracted the 'OFFice' folder and placed it into my main OBDSoftware\CFSWWI Over Flanders Fields directory. Following (I think so) the instructions, I next executed 'OFFbase' to launch the MOD. While the OFFbase 0.71 loaded and configured the OFF Manager System Registry and the CfS Config XML, the CMD reported an input error:

"Input Error: There is no file extensiion in "E:\OBDSoftware\CFSWW1"."

Please advise what I need to do to undo what I have done to realize a functional program similar to that demonstrated above

#3580528 - 05/26/12 10:31 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  

Hi 5555, sorry about the problem. It seems that if you install the OFFice folder inside your OFF installation, the mod won't work. I'll update the installation instructions to reflect this. Just try putting it in "E:\OFFice" or anywhere else but "E:\OBDSoftware\".

Let me know how it works! cheers

#3580552 - 05/26/12 11:25 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
5555 Offline
Phil S
5555  Offline
Phil S

Civilized California

Dear Mr. Hill People,

I moved the OFFice folder from inside the main program folder and placed it into the OBD Software directory so as not to lose contact with it.

That Works! I now have an identity, but have yet to select a country.

Thank You

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.