Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3571264 - 05/11/12 07:52 PM Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3)  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Hi all,

Kind of early with this one--milestone isn't done yet but I wanted to show you the new WIP cockpit interior and system integration, which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuuVKTyt7Q

Lots of work left to do for sure, but it's much more defined now. Also, there's a bit more info over at the RS forums about the vid, but most of the detail is in the vid itself.

http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com...0d3bfdcecaa#p18

Finally, I'll be adding a new Dev Blog Update later today if you're interested: http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com/developers-blog.html

More news after this milestone is finished up--sometime mid-June probably. Until next time...

Cheers smile

----------------------------
There is no spoon...
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3571303 - 05/11/12 08:53 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

You taking pre-orders yet? smile

#3571440 - 05/12/12 12:37 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

You know, I kind of thought about the whole kickstarter thing--if I could round up a year's worth of salary I could work on this 24-7 and get it done a LOT sooner. I'm not sure it's really in a state to do that yet and make a good showing. I don't know--think I still have some time before I need to start seriously considering something like that...

In any case, no--no pre-orders yet. wink Glad you like the direction enough to ask about it though--makes all the work worth it for sure biggrin

Last edited by Crisis; 05/12/12 03:25 AM.

There is no spoon...
#3571446 - 05/12/12 12:58 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Brennus Offline
Urban Legend
Brennus  Offline
Urban Legend
Hotshot

Detroit, MI
thumbsup thumbsup

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here."

- Jayne Cobb, "Firefly"
#3575364 - 05/19/12 03:07 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

Wow. I can't tell you how long I've waited for a space sim like this. Please keep up the great work, and I would back this as a kickstarter project in a heartbeat.

p.s.

If you're looking for any help with textures or modeling, I may be able to help you out.

Last edited by Tempered; 05/19/12 03:39 AM.
#3575379 - 05/19/12 04:09 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Impressive!

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3576475 - 05/21/12 03:03 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Looking great!

My advice would be to delay a Kickstarter until you can really show off your project with some detailed preview of the gameplay (which is hard given that it means you have to go a long way through development first). Right now there is a small crowd of space games in Kickstarter, and even though they got covered by some major websites such as Rock Paper Shotgun, they seem to struggle a bit gathering funding (some of them aimed at really high goals such as $200 000...).
But if you ever start a Kickstarter campaign, you can count on me to back it up and spread the word!

#3576494 - 05/21/12 03:58 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: FlyingMonkey]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Cheers for the support smile

And yes, I agree that I'd need a fairly strong proof-of-concept video to have a shot at a successful kickstarter. No worries--I'll just keep doing what I'm doing until I get to that point. But by then I might not need it anyway smile

There is no spoon...
#3579649 - 05/25/12 04:30 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Can't wait! Just let me know when and where to send payment!

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#3579673 - 05/25/12 05:03 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
tn_prvteye Offline
Captain Awesome
tn_prvteye  Offline
Captain Awesome

Nash'Vegas, TN, USA

"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
-Dwight D Eisenhower
#3593454 - 06/18/12 12:20 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Hi all. Been a while so I thought I'd throw up a new shot showing some WIP environment stuff. WIP ship skin shaders, planetary shaders, post effects and lens flare. The post effects and lens flare stuff can be turned on/off and tweaked. Also, lens flare can only be seen from exterior "cameras", not your Mark I eyeball smile Again, the goal right now is to get these shaders and systems up and running with WIP art that isn't terrible to look at, so nothing should be considered "final" by any means.

Look for a new video and update soon--just need to finish up this milestone. Cheers...

By the way, no photoshop work was done to this shot (I don't believe in that). It is what it is straight from the sim--what you see is what you get smile

Last edited by Crisis; 06/19/12 08:08 AM.

There is no spoon...
#3593502 - 06/18/12 04:21 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Nice, as always. My hat is off to you!

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3594559 - 06/20/12 06:57 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
Happy Birthday komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Lovely bird, yes. yep

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3594639 - 06/20/12 12:35 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Torquatus Offline
Torquatus  Offline

Brisbane, Australia
That is just beautiful! cheers

"I like to find out that I died, and that I'm currently in a ballet in China, and all the other very accurate and important things that the Wikipedia site brings us all."

-Stephen Fry
#3596074 - 06/23/12 04:24 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Tempered Offline
Tempered  Offline

I can't wait to get behind the wheel of this sim.

#3609183 - 07/18/12 02:52 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Hi, it's been a while so I posted a bit of an update over at the Rogue System forums, as well as a new developer blog entry. You can get to both from here: http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com/

I have to hold off on the next WIP video unfortunately. I've been waiting on an engine update that will add a couple final features that I need, and I can't finish up this milestone without them. In the meantime, I've done some planetary shader work and a bit of tidying up of code. I'm off for vacation with the family for a couple weeks, so hopefully the engine update will be ready by time I get back and then I can finish up the last couple things I need in order to move on.

Anyway, see you all in a couple weeks. Cheers... smile

There is no spoon...
#3610828 - 07/21/12 03:18 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Very interested to see where this goes, Crisis!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3639195 - 09/05/12 09:33 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

How goes the project crisis?

#3644632 - 09/15/12 06:19 AM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Hi all.

Wow--first off I want to apologize for the lack of news recently. Quite honestly there hasn't been as much progress as I'd hoped. I've been waiting for a while on a new update for the engine I'm using which fixes some issues that I HAD to have corrected in order to progress. In the meantime, I've been working on various bits of WIP art in order to support the upcoming work.

I'm happy to say the update is ANY day now, so I've been able to get some code in place in order to support the new stuff. I have some new images of that work as well as some info to go with. Again, please keep in mind that this art only took me days to model and texture--it's very much placeholder art, but not altogether terrible smile

These first two shots show me "standing" inside the hangar of a station in First-person mode (you can craw, crouch, walk, run, lean, etc., not useful now, but later when breaching actions are added they'll come in handy wink ). You can see my ship docked in the hangar, and the station is in orbit around the planet beyond. In the second shot you can see I'm looking at a hotspot on my ship (that I have to get so close is a limitation caused by a soon to be fixed engine bug) that gives me an option to enter the cockpit directly. If I press the FPS "action" key when this is displayed I get moved from the hangar into the cockpit, and I'm free to start working the controls.

The tricky part to all this was keeping everything synced up as you move from one interior to the other.

A note about the planet--it is pseudo-dynamically created based on its type. What happens is that the sim looks at each planet by type and grabs one of a few planetary shaders that I developed. It mixes and matches liquid, terrain, vegetation, and cloud maps based on varying factors. Each planet is quite unique, and obviously the better the textures get the better the end result will be (and modders will be able to add new textures easily to expand the variety). Also of interest is that on the dark side you can see city lights if the planet is inhabited, and there are lightening flashes within storm clouds (which is pretty cool really).

The shot below I just quickly grabbed after I advanced time by about 8 months when I was testing synchronization. You can see the star off in the distance, as well as one of the moons of the planet you're orbiting. It did highlight a minor bug with the star's glare I need to fix smile And finally:

Here's one last shot showing the hangar and the docked ship. If you look out of the portal you can see the exterior of another "arm" of the station I'm on. Something to note here is the orange stripe--the color is player definable. Later, when elite-style play is added it'll be possible to buy stations and such. You'll be able to personalize them by changing color, logos, names and identity numbers. This all works right now. Even though that mode won't be in the initial release you can see that I'm thinking ahead and coding now for its integration...

At the moment I'm working on (S)pace (T)raffice (C)ontrol logic that gives you clearance to start engines, and then to take off (the logic for landing is already done). So, by the end of this milestone I'll be able to walk up to my ship, get in, start it, get clearance, take off, land, and then get back out. All of this is EXTREMELY fundamental elements to overall game play. When that is all done I'll put up another vid showing all this in action.

The goal of the upcoming milestone will be to walk to other parts of the station (with working doors, elevators, etc) as well as actually "killing" an enemy ship (very close to this already). By Christmas all of the essential elements will be in place to begin building gameplay around...

And that's about it--there may be a BIT more detailed info over at my site ( http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com ) in the developer's blog, and the "development news" of the forums, but I think I covered the major points here smile

Last edited by Crisis; 09/15/12 06:25 AM.

There is no spoon...
#3644820 - 09/15/12 04:21 PM Re: Rogue System -- New WIP video (#3) [Re: Crisis]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Looks great! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.