Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3580555 - 05/26/12 11:32 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People Offline
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People  Offline

On to Part Two of 2nd Lieutenant Luther Hill's first day in the 94th Aero:

So let's take a look around the squadron, shall we?

The Adjutant is always available, though his time and patience are limited:

Looks like I caught Captain Lindsay in a good moment, as he opens up a little about my squadmates.

My entrance to the Mess Hall does not go unnoticed:

Major McNeil was rather nice, well compared to everyone else I've met so far today. But not much else going on in the mess:

Or so it seems. Your squadmates have encounters with each other, just as you do with them, and you may see witness some of these encounters in the mess:

Wonder what that was about? Most encounters leave a lot to your imagination to fill in the details as you develop a sense of identity around different pilots.

Let's go to the Duty Room and see what we know of our squadmates so far:

You only get details on those you've met--and notice the Adjutant Captain Lindsay listed as Ground Crew. Future versions of OFFbase will feature even more non-player characters (NPCs) to encounter. You can get more information on the different aspects of characters by clicking the ? buttons

Let's head back out to the Airfield. As I arrive:

This guy's just a jerk. I've had my share of Captains... but what else does he want with me?

Yep, Cadbury's a jerk who enjoys taking my prestige. What's this about the war ending? I'm a Schoolboy heading out to his first active-duty flight! Way to cut me off at the knees.

But at least I can now go Fly Mission in OFF. Make sure your active pilot is set, go into the Campaign and fly a mission like you always would.

When done, Leave the OFF Manager to return to OFFbase.

This isn't the place for after-action reports, but our patrol encountered a quartet of Alb D.Va from Jasta 72s over the Argonne. I downed one, which another pilot tried to steal as I lined up for the killing blow. Guess who? My new best friend, Captain Cadbury. Then, a second Albatross damaged my engine and I limped back over the lines, landing at the nearest friendly airfield. OFFbase offers unique post-mission opportunities:

I didn't make it home, so I can't check that box, but I can take things up with the jerk who tried to steal my kill.

Argh, he got me again. Benefits of rank, he insisted I should have deferred to him and let him finish the Albatross. He may have a point...

Well, need to report in to the Adjutant:

The prestige I earned from downing the Albatross was wiped out by not bringing my own plane home. Back at HQ, I can see I'm in trouble:

Only 0.44 prestige! I enter the Mess Hall cautiously, knowing I need to earn some quick prestige but can't afford to have someone pick on me again.

This must be the new guy, Captain Fuller, the Adjutant told me about. Sure he outranks me, but I'm no longer the rookie and take an Aggressive stance to let him know it. But deep down, I'm scared!

I guess we see eye-to-eye; though I'm not able to get any prestige out of him.

Ah, the mess:

If I'm going to earn more prestige, I'll have to do it in the air. On the way to the Airfield, I encounter my wingman:

Oh boy, the Schoolboy's favorite! Let's see if I can qet some quick prestige here.

Well he's no fun.

I'm going to have to have a very successful mission if I've any chance of sticking around as the only lowly 2nd Lieutenant in the 94th Aero:

Strafing trenches? And I'm supposed to lead this attack??? Captain Lindsay must really be trying to get rid of me...

Some time later... holy cow!

Knowing I had almost no prestige remaining I was willing to take big risks on this mission, and with a lot of luck those risks paid off. I made two full passes over the trenches with only a few seemingly-harmless bullets passing through my wings. Turning into a third pass I observed three planes diving to follow my attack... except one didn't look quite like the others. When it opened up on my wingman, 1st Lt. MacKenzie, I was now close enough to see it was clearly an Albatross attacking seemingly out of nowhere. Don't like my wingman all that much, but my squadmates had led him right into me, and I fired at close range and the Albatross crashed into those trenches I'd just strafed.

As hero of the day, check out my prestige now:

Glad my wingman made it home alive at least:

Let's check the board in the Duty Room:

So, 2nd Lieutenant Luther Hill survived his first day in the 94th Aero Squadron, and may yet make a name for himself there. What will your days OFFbase bring?

Download it and find out!

Play Over Flanders Fields with OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3580765 - 05/27/12 10:43 AM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
Thanks Lothar!
This was very enlightening, indeed.

WOFF UE, BOC member, Albatros pilot.

#3582385 - 05/29/12 09:16 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People]  
Samio123 Offline
Samio123  Offline

Um, excuse the stupid question, but how long would the synchronization take?

#3587420 - 06/06/12 09:46 PM Re: OFFbase:Creating A World. [Re: Samio123]  
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People Offline
Lothar_of_the_Hill_People  Offline

Originally Posted By: Samio123
Um, excuse the stupid question, but how long would the synchronization take?

In general synching takes just a fraction of a second. Basically it just reads your pilot dossier files, figures out who in the squadron has the newest roster, and copies that as well as the latest info on the squadron location, aircraft, etc. It does some fancier stuff to assign separate wingman to players pilots in the same squadron, and tries to get OFF to divide squadmates into separate flights as much as possible as well.

When you first run OFFbase on a new squadron however, it could take a minute or two to run the initial synchronization and simulation on a slow computer.

Play Over Flanders Fields with OFFbase: An immersive role-playing simulation of life between flights.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.