Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3565113 - 04/30/12 05:54 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I agree Scott that a paid beta would have been afar better option, in many respects, but I'm not sure it would have garnered enough support and cash to keep the investors/beancounters willing to keep footing the bill. Unfortunately the development has been spending millions for so many years, that I doubt the investors are going to get their monies back, plus profit until they are well in the series. People making the money decisions, must be seeing some sunshine and rainbows, that the rest of us a hard pressed to see, or Luthier is one h#ll of a salesman atleast in the boardroom.

Personally I just think the epilepsy filter was just another roadblock in a long line of roadblocks the development has had to find away around.

Its been a h#llish development for "everyone" involved. Hopefully it will have a happy ending.

Anyway, anyone testing WarThunder see any positives that the IL-2 crowd could gravitate too and stay? And no I'm not asking you NuggetX. wink Actually he's been awfully quiet for a year or so, he must be playing alot of COD, or testing WarThunder. smile Gaijin has done some decent work and its possible they could enter the more complex sim market, especially now that they have a revenue stream with their less complex sims. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, but remain hopeful.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3565134 - 04/30/12 06:24 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Lixma]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Lixma
Originally Posted By: Chivas
The failure will certainly scare away any other future investment in the last bastion of complex WW2 air combat sim development.

"No...."

"....there is another."

(Maybe)

Maybe, but probably not.

From the developer..."DCS is not intended to be a full WW2 era simulation."

Although they could change their business model in the future. Even if they did, it would be many years before anything substantial would be released.

Atleast the P51, would be fun target practice for modern jets, weapons systems.

Last edited by Chivas; 04/30/12 06:26 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3565150 - 04/30/12 07:01 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Chivas]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Personally I just think the epilepsy filter was just another roadblock in a long line of roadblocks the development has had to find away around.

I know its old ground Chivas, but please tell me you didn't buy that epilepsy filter rubbish?

You telling me a professional software team didn't know about that and for the first time in game development history it caused a major roadblock just weeks before release?

Some things you say Chivas make sense, but that? come on pull the other one its got bells on.

#3565177 - 04/30/12 07:34 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

I know its old ground Chivas, but please tell me you didn't buy that epilepsy filter rubbish?

You telling me a professional software team didn't know about that and for the first time in game development history it caused a major roadblock just weeks before release?

Some things you say Chivas make sense, but that? come on pull the other one its got bells on.

I never believed the ignorance of the epilepsy filter thing either...I still would like to hear from Chivas about the money thing, backers and all. I can't see the devs having much expense, and they should be loaded with our money.

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3565214 - 04/30/12 09:25 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH

Seems to me a "patch" is something that is applied to fix a few minor problems andmaybe add a few updates or additions.

This thing they are working on now ought to have a new word. I guess one could call it a "Major overhaul" but I doubt such

a term will stick in the computer software world. So.. what do we call something that is way bigger than a patch, in fact

virtually a complete re write of the product ? Just wondering.

Last edited by commorange; 04/30/12 09:25 PM.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3565222 - 04/30/12 09:48 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

For CLOD "CPR"

smile

#3565250 - 04/30/12 11:05 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

I believe UBISOFT said that they wouldn't publish COD in the west without the Epilepsy Filter. Who knows what the timing of that request was, it would be quite possible that a copy of COD was sent to UBISOFT to publish in the west and after their tests decided they wanted an Epilepsy filter. The epilepsy filter was a problem, but obviously not the main problem with the sim, just another delay.

Personally I've never seen a sim make use of an epilepsy filter, although I understand certain people are susceptible to the condition playing some video games. I don't believe the COD developers used the issue as some sort of boondoggle, as they certainly wouldn't have time to play that game. It would serve no purpose.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3565257 - 04/30/12 11:19 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: SlipBall]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: SlipBall

I never believed the ignorance of the epilepsy filter thing either...I still would like to hear from Chivas about the money thing, backers and all. I can't see the devs having much expense, and they should be loaded with our money.

I inferred in a couple of posts back that the developers aren't even close to covering the costs so far for the sim. They've spent millions of dollars so far trying to get the new game engine built and working properly. Those costs won't be recovered by COD, but should be recovered sometime during the release of quite a number of sequels the new game engine will spawn. This is why the performance/graphic patch is so critical, without the much needed performance and stability the series is dead, and the developers will have a lost a considerable amount of money.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3565293 - 05/01/12 12:43 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: commorange]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Originally Posted By: commorange

Seems to me a "patch" is something that is applied to fix a few minor problems andmaybe add a few updates or additions.

This thing they are working on now ought to have a new word. I guess one could call it a "Major overhaul" but I doubt such

a term will stick in the computer software world. So.. what do we call something that is way bigger than a patch, in fact

virtually a complete re write of the product ? Just wondering.

The already did it, it was called a patch, and a complete overhaul of the graphics engine with 200% more performance.... then not.

#3565377 - 05/01/12 05:36 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Chivas]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

I believe UBISOFT said that they wouldn't publish COD in the west without the Epilepsy Filter. Who knows what the timing of that request was, it would be quite possible that a copy of COD was sent to UBISOFT to publish in the west and after their tests decided they wanted an Epilepsy filter. The epilepsy filter was a problem, but obviously not the main problem with the sim, just another delay.

Personally I've never seen a sim make use of an epilepsy filter, although I understand certain people are susceptible to the condition playing some video games. I don't believe the COD developers used the issue as some sort of boondoggle, as they certainly wouldn't have time to play that game. It would serve no purpose.

So when they signed the contract with UBISOFT to publish CLOD the epilepsy filter was not in it and was added at the last minute?...come on.
A professional game studio would of known about this sort of filter form the very start, if they forgot then its gross incompetence. It was used to explain bad performance at release, just like the excuse of the show PC's of "only 2 GB of RAM at the shows PC's at Kiev dont worry everything will be fine with 4 GB", though let me guess, you believed that too?

Anyway...its old ground like i said Chivas, not worth arguing over again, its done now.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 05/01/12 05:49 AM.
#3565380 - 05/01/12 05:51 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Furbs, tone it down a bit on the agressive-o-meter please, I know you guys get on but Chivas didn't write the bad game. smile

Given Ubisoft's well deserved reputation with developers it isn't impossible to imagine a scenario where a build was given to them as a publisher and they had all sorts of daft criteria to add. I've no idea if that's credible, but it is all speculation..

#3565389 - 05/01/12 06:42 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Sorry Frog if i came across aggressive, its meant in a jokey ribbing in the pub way. smile ...im sure Chivas knows that but to anyone else who reads my post i get your point.

Must remember to add smileys. biggrin

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 05/01/12 06:57 AM.
#3565391 - 05/01/12 06:45 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Cheers - just don't want to scare anyone off otherwise it's just us 3 weirdos left lol smile

#3565424 - 05/01/12 10:33 AM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
TangoRomeo Offline
TangoRomeo  Offline

Folklore certainly, however if a similar spirit is delaying the release i have every reason to look forward to it.

"Sei gütig, denn alle Menschen, denen du begegnest, kämpfen einen schweren Kampf.“
-Platon
#3565463 - 05/01/12 12:24 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
What I never understand is how they 'fix' something and then something completely unrelated goes west i.e. they update the damage decals and the gunsights all turn white?

I mean is this sim coparable with the proverbial house of cards and one little tweak here and there causes the whole shebang to collapse...I mean who would write stuff to behave like that?

I've given up on this title ever being 'fixed' in that it fullfills the original concept of simulating BoB and not just one tiny little snapshot from the battle.

I still think that if someone were to combine the campaign engine from Rowan's Bob with the 'fixed' graphics of CloD then that would be something, a title worthy of being called the Battle of Britain.

#3565466 - 05/01/12 12:28 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: TangoRomeo]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Quote:
I believe UBISOFT said that they wouldn't publish COD in the west without the Epilepsy Filter.

From inside Ubi (i think even Luthier wrote this once, but not inclined to go dig banana forum, those interested will), this is not exactly what happened.

What happened is Clod failed the epilepsy tests, and would have needed some adjustments to pass it. Either 1C or MG (not known at Ubi) decided the antiepilepsy filter would do.

Another myth: "Ubi pulled out the Su26". From Oleg's mouth, 1C pulled it out. MG nor Ubi were able to oppose.

A last mostly unknown fact, again form inside Ubi: MG threatened to try Ubi for not promoting the Sim enough. Ubi threatened back to try MG for delivering a faulty product (Ubi was denied the right to test the RC) and their lawyers applied to MG the maximum penalties negociated in the distribution contract, wich made the game distribution a no loss operation for Ubi.

Now back on apr 28 update, i don't know any more what to think. I don't have a high opinion of Luthier as a boss, as many i know who worked with him once, but i'm pretty sure he really loves his current job (as Oleg did) and wishes to get the game to work properly. Has he got the right team for this ? The money to pay for the right team ? Another full time work to pay the bills while working overnight on the patch and sequel ? I really don't know, and have no hope of seeing the patch soon (or see it but with the game still broken), but can't say neither "we will have no patch, that's for sure". The only sure thing is it's entertaining to read you people, can i have some rope as well ? pilot

#3565501 - 05/01/12 01:14 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Interesting, though surely Luthier and the team would have known what it would take to pass the epilepsy test months before release?
Just turning on the EF in the game basically screws the graphics up, so its clearly not working is it?
I agree it seems the patch is still a long way off, Luthier is talking about almost releasing with the problems it has currently...

· No dynamic low-caliber hit decals showing on aircraft;
· Detached aircraft chunks losing their texture and becoming pitch-black;
· Little particle "dust" that comes out of weapon hits looking like untextured squares;
· Gunsights always white in color;
· No waypoint lines rendered in map or FMB;
· Pilot and Plane models not rendering textures in Options - Pilot and Options - Plane respectively;
· DX9 support not ready for public consumption.

...if thats the case then it seems they are having alot of problems finding fixes.

#3565535 - 05/01/12 02:51 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida

· No dynamic low-caliber hit decals showing on aircraft;
· Detached aircraft chunks losing their texture and becoming pitch-black;
· Little particle "dust" that comes out of weapon hits looking like untextured squares;
· Gunsights always white in color;
· No waypoint lines rendered in map or FMB;
· Pilot and Plane models not rendering textures in Options - Pilot and Options - Plane respectively;
· DX9 support not ready for public consumption.

...if thats the case then it seems they are having alot of problems finding fixes.

It would seem to me that these are, or must be related somehow and maybe if they released a beta patch with the caviat that it is not without problems that someone in the community might figure out that which is eluding them and at the very least get a bigger sampling of what hardware the community is using, not everyone may have the same results. just a thought.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3565550 - 05/01/12 03:34 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: Bokononist]  
Obi_Kwiet Offline
Obi_Kwiet  Offline

Tulsa, OK
I think when it gets down to it, Maddox Games are a bunch of well meaning, extremely hardworking guys, who have really high ambitions for what they do, but don't have anyone with any business or management sense.

#3565664 - 05/01/12 07:08 PM Re: Blacksix patch update 28/4/2012 [Re: rollnloop.]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: rollnloop.
Quote:
I believe UBISOFT said that they wouldn't publish COD in the west without the Epilepsy Filter.

From inside Ubi (i think even Luthier wrote this once, but not inclined to go dig banana forum, those interested will), this is not exactly what happened.

What happened is Clod failed the epilepsy tests, and would have needed some adjustments to pass it. Either 1C or MG (not known at Ubi) decided the antiepilepsy filter would do.

Another myth: "Ubi pulled out the Su26". From Oleg's mouth, 1C pulled it out. MG nor Ubi were able to oppose.

A last mostly unknown fact, again form inside Ubi: MG threatened to try Ubi for not promoting the Sim enough. Ubi threatened back to try MG for delivering a faulty product (Ubi was denied the right to test the RC) and their lawyers applied to MG the maximum penalties negociated in the distribution contract, wich made the game distribution a no loss operation for Ubi.

Now back on apr 28 update, i don't know any more what to think. I don't have a high opinion of Luthier as a boss, as many i know who worked with him once, but i'm pretty sure he really loves his current job (as Oleg did) and wishes to get the game to work properly. Has he got the right team for this ? The money to pay for the right team ? Another full time work to pay the bills while working overnight on the patch and sequel ? I really don't know, and have no hope of seeing the patch soon (or see it but with the game still broken), but can't say neither "we will have no patch, that's for sure". The only sure thing is it's entertaining to read you people, can i have some rope as well ? pilot

Yea no, not happening, till rope has time to dry out...took a big wave over the bow ahoy

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.