Made some progress over the last few days.
First of all, I've wired up and tested the gimbals and throttles. I forgot to take photos of the installed sensors but here is a photo I took of the sensor cables. They're basically just four Hall effect sensors connected to the 3-pin plugs supplied with the interface board:
I was going to install the controls tonight and try to go for a flight but I realized that without ANY buttons at all even a glider is going to be a challenge. So I quickly put together a joystick. It's very rough but it seems to be working and it has enough controls for a glider, helicopter, GA and perhaps even a Black Shark or A-10 depending on how well the iPad interface ends up working out.
First a quick mockup of the stick plate. Please note, no trigger at the moment and perhaps not for a long time. I'm not a fan of them as I can never fire without moving the stick a little.
Holes 'drilled' and buttons fitted. Anticlockwise we have, an 8-way POV hat, a button, two 4 way hats. The bottom 4-way hat is only wired for up/down as I run out of inputs on the interface board. A matrix configuration is relatively easy to set up but I didn't have the time tonight and this thing is just a quick experiment.
Completed wiring loom for the stick. I'm sorry for the quality of the holes! This thin MDF is difficult to be neat in, it feels like it's just thick cardboard. Plus, I just wanted to get it done quickly.
Stick assembly ready for mounting on the gimbal:
I hope you all don't mind the incremental progress reports. Posting here is a motivator for me.