Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#355870 - 01/23/04 11:03 AM JF-18 Improved wish-list ****  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

EDIT: This post is constantly being updated.

If there one day can be a "Jane's F/A-18 Simulator Improved"... what would you like for this version?

I think there are three main categories: Bug fixes, Change/Improvement Requests, Feature Requests.

Bug fixes are real errors that shouldn't be in the game. Change/Improvement Requests are requests that something that is in the game, but is not a bug, should be changed and/or improved. Feature Requests are requests for things that are not yet in the game.

The bugs are #1 priority, change requests #2, feature requests #3. Yes I know people will be jumping and screaming to get new stuff for the game, such as a dynamic campaign generator and new planes. However feature requests are that which will require the most planning and work. Bug-fixing is relatively easy in comparison and can give fast results. People like to see that things are happening.

Ok, some things to put on the wish-list from the top of my head:

Bug fixes for:
- The Ramp Strike bug
- CTD when Volumetric Explosions are enabled in Windows XP
- View/Hat Up-bug in XP
- Gridlines in water when enabling antialiasing in XP
- The times stated for each leg in the mission planner are off by one waypoint.
- FAC gives information based on the wrong waypoint.
- FAC CTD.
- Inaccurate effect of weapons meant for hardened/non-hardened targets.
- Cannot jettison rocket pods individually.

By Bones:
- HARM PB Bug
- Bug with carrier landings not shown in total.
- Bloated pilot file bug.

By Recluse:
- ATFLIR/HARM exploit that allows a timer/release cue in HARM TOO mode.
- Bug that makes cluster munitions ineffective against parked aircraft.
- Mission builder/briefing map going black when zooming.

By FLYdude:
- JDAM tracking moving targets.

By 96th_Wolf
- Range arc missing for A/G gun pipper.
- AIM-120 gives RWR warning before seeker is active.

By Alex41:
- A/G rocket pipper is grossly inaccurate.

By Tatsu:
- Frame rate drop in Air-to-Air mode when using antialisasing.

Change Requests:
- The flight model of the F/A-18 should be made to better represent the RL aircraft type.
- Improved ground radar, similar to that in JF-15.
- You should not be able to padlock an object/plane that is not within line of sight (takes the fun out of MP dog-fights).
- Padlocking should only work if you look in the general direction of the object/plane you want to padlock.
- View zoom (to better represent the capabilities of the human eye)
- Improved alpha checks to friendly flights.
- Scalable fonts so that the screen resolution does not affect the readability.
- Replace PCX-graphics with BMP dito.
- More accurate HARM modelling (35 nm range on any altitude and then 45 degree nose down? NFW!).
- More accurate weapons modelling in general, with for instance wind drift, wobbling and CEP modelling.
- Application controlled antialisaing and ansiotropic filtering (instead of having to hardwire the card to do it).
- No more CPU-hogging (Alt-TAB to the desktop while in flight and you'll see what I mean).
- Better interaction with voice com software(BattleCom + JF-18 + XP works poorly for many. JF-18 + TS 2 works adquatly but experiences random disturbances)
- AI improvement when it comes to SEAD. (I'll strangle the next AI that fires a HARM at a AAA when there is a SA-10 shooting at me!!!).
- AI should stick to their wingman instead of the flight lead.
- More than 8 players in MP.
- More sofisticated EW and SAM AI. Such as the ability to make "SAM traps".

By Bones:
- Wide angle view.
- Improved pilot editor/viewer.
- New flight callsigns.
- Improved breifing with target recon photograhs.
- Improved user interface for mission builder.
- Aircraft loading interface improvement.
- Color BIT page.
- Updated manual.
- Graphics showing hands while in cockpit.
- Analog back-up compass.
- Updated comms.
- Animated details on GBU.
- Updated explosion graphics.
- Updated missile exhaust flash.
- Sonic boom in external view.
- Updated AB spikes.
- Animated exhaust nozzles.
- Updated steam graphics.
- Updated animations/models for crippled/destroyed aircraft.
- Animated refueling probe.
- More options for controlling what targets the AI attacks.
- Locked targets should remain visable in the HUD even if you are winchester.
- Updated head slewing.
- Padlock line-of-sight object.
- Tweak/fix the terrain textures and motion to give a better feeling of high speed at low altitude.

By John_H:
- Enhanced Track IR support
- Improved helmet aiming.

By FLYdude:
- Updated AIM-9 behaviour modelling.

By Alex41:
- Improve AI leader abilities, among other things to take command of a flight when the flight lead is no longer mission capable.

By Tatsu:
- Improved tutorial missions.

By StealthSnake:
- In multiplayer, all players should be in the briefing at the same time.

By Clark:
- Improve (or rather: create) anti-blue-on-blue behaviour for AI Tomcats.

By Nef (and others at Checksix.com):
- Improved FM for all aircraft.
- Add missing MFD pages (compare to NATOPS).
- More buildings (bases, cities etc).
- More AI aircraft airborne.

Feature Requests:
- "Coherent & Total Immersion Campaign" engine. The campaign engine should to a higher degree reflect that resources are being used/destroyed/repaired/replaced. Today the campaign author must handle this manually and only a small degree of automation exists. Further more the campaign engine whould be able to handle many other things automatically, such as dynamic creation of missions.
- User friendly addons manager (the one in F4 gives me chills because of its complexity and non-user-friendly interface).
- Object/Landscape/Theatre manager (perhaps under the addons manager?)
- Object/Landscape/Theatre editor.
- Better ACMI/Replay. It would be very nice to be able to direct "movies" that can be saved and replayed within the game.
- Plug & Play/Addons architechture for allowing new aircraft/vehicles.
- Same as above but for flyable aircraft
- Multiplayer voice com integrated in the game.
- Voice controlled aircraft functions and AI (exotic, I know... but possible \:\) )
- In MP games, being able to leave and join a flight in progress. If you leave, AI takes your place. If you join, select an AI controlled plane.
- Dedicated servers.
- Linux servers.
- Remotely controllable servers.
- Wind.
- Chat lobby.
- Voice chat lobby.

From Bones:
- F/A-18F, flyable by two players.
- Deck crew.
- Sound editor/plugins.
- On-deck controllable F/A-18.
- Pilot career simulator.
- Changable carriers/battle groups.
- NVG for pilot.
- Controllable canopy and wing folding.

By Alex41:
- Dynamically changing sky depending on flight altitude and similar effects.

By pfunkmusik:
- Casual and hardcore flight models/avionics.

By Big_Daddy:
- Weather patterns, preferably dynamic.
- Allow more movie formats for campaigns (for example *.avi and *.mpeg)
- Arbitrary headings for airfields.
- Standby attitude reference indicator with azimuth, elevation deviation bars, water mark and slip indicator.
- View weapons on all planes.
- Dual throttle control.
- Realistic start up procedures
- Cockpit lighting
- Ejection handle in the cockpit
- Active left and right consoles with clickable switches.
- Smooth cockpit zooming.

By Julian Data:
- More active and varying deck operations with for instance parked aircraft on the bow.
- Taking advantage of modern graphics card features such as T&L etc.

By Nef (and others at Checksix.com):
- Folding wings on all (compatible) aircraft on a carrier.
- Revise the amount of skill needed to evade missiles (too easy today).

By Recluse:
- Address book for MP.

Rejected requests:
- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode. Reason: The real F/A-18 doesn't have this. (I'm shocked!).

Feel free to add anything to this list. If you add anything, please be as specific as possible. The development team cannot use requests that are fuzzy and/or too abstract. A request must be so that you can print it in a list... do some changes, look at the list and say "Yes, we have done this"... and put a big fat mark next to the item.

Example:

"I want a better campaign engine".

Well d-uh... good for you! How does the team know when they have fullfilled that request? They can't! The request is too fuzzy.

Example 2:

"My game doesn't work when I take off!"

Eh... well how do you expect the team to do anything about that when you're not giving them enough information to be able to reproduce the error?

Example 3:

"You cannot jettison rocket pods except when you jettison all weapons."

This is good! This is something the team can narrow down easilly. Once you can jettison the rocket pods separatly, the team can mark this item as finished.

/J

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#355871 - 01/23/04 04:06 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Ok, some things to put on the wish-list from the top of my head:

Bugs
- The HARM PB bug (this develops after awhile, the sim will CTD when you hit the PB button)
- GBU-24A V. GBU-24B bug
- Pilot file bugs where you have your carrier landings not listed in total
-Bloated pilot file bug causing CTD after you finish a mission (nothing like doing really good jsut to have your results wiped out)

Change Requests:
- Alternate view between wide angle view (where you can still read the HUD) and the regular view
-Better pilot naming and pilot management with an easier-to-navigate dossier (how many of us who have flown hundreds of missions are sick of clicking on the little plus sign and scrolling via mouse click?) and total sum of awards (I also miss the graphical representation of your awards)
-Better "ACMI" (the one that comes with JF18 sucks)
-More choice of flight callsigns (I'm tired of the phonetic alphabet, planets, and fish being used as callsigns)
-Improved briefing maps. (They are so cluttered with player icons stacked underneath AI icons and waypoint routes all over the place I don't bother looking at them half the time.)
-Better intel photos of target (a la F4--It's hard to ID your target from a tiny bird's eye view in the briefing--it would be nice to get multiple angle views of the target)
-Improve mission builder usability (a bunch of the icons don't do a thing, and the manual doesn't explain any of the functions well enough)
-Option in weapons loading to equip all aircraft the same as a particular aircraft (it's a nuisance to have to drag and drop over and over for each aircraft when outfitting them similarly could be one click away like in alot of FPS)
-On-the-fly programming of JDAMs with TOO GPS coordinates (just like the real JDAM)
-Color BIT page as promised in the quick referenc card
-Rewritten manual addressing the functions missing or changed from the original manual.
-Graphics of your hands on the throttle and stick
-Analog magnetic compass as a backup
-Improve EXP mode radar so we don't have to count dots
-Better tower comms for ground/pattern ops ashore and at sea (like F4)
-Moving control surfaces on GBU canards and realistic physics on dropped weapons (ie, bombs rolling about their axis as they fall, or wobbling as they come off the pylon)
-Better explosions from CBUs (so far LOMAC has the best ones I've seen, and F4 is good too)
-Better graphics for missile exhaust flash
-Sonic boom in external view when going supersonic
-Better graphics for AB spikes (heat waves would be cool too)and nozzles that expand and contract accordingly
-Better graphics for damage and shoot-downs (bandits that are shot down look boxy and unreal)
-When your refueling probe is extended, actually animte it extending instead of having it "blink" on and "blink" off
-Better steam on catapults rather than those puffs of air
-AI should be better at attacking targets (ie, those times when you want themto attack their primary target and when you go to tell them, there is no option for that so you tell them to hit TOO and hope they get it right)
-Just because you are winchester weapons shouldn't mean that you can't still see a target designated in your HUD-this should b fixed
-Faster slewing views. I don't know ANY fighter pilot that would turn his head THAT slow in combat
-Option to choose what to padlock (good in landing--ever try to padlock the carrier and to snaps to a frigate instead?)

Feature Requests:
- Foxtrot model Super Hornet: Have the rear cockpit available like in JF-15 and Fleet Defender. In MP, make it possible to co-op with one person being pilot and the other WSO
-Add deck crew! The deck ops are nice, but so unreal when you are directed by invisible crew. USNF97 only had one deck guy, but that's one more than JF-18!
-Option to record your own callsigns and stock lines if you want to make your own package callsigns and so forth
-(Real) On-deck-controllable F/A-18 to follow deck crew instructions to get on the cat (like USNF97) or the elevator or off the wires
-Navy Flying Career simulator such as in Fleet Defender where you have to enlist, train in other aircraft, then hit the fleet--and after awhile if you're good enough, get selected for Top Gun, etc.
-Changeable carriers/battle groups
-Other campaign theatres
-Better radio comms with packages/AI
-NVG for pilot
-Controllable canopy and wing folding

All I have time for right now...!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#355872 - 01/23/04 04:36 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
CJ Martin Offline
CJ Martin  Offline

NAS Patuxent River, MD
Overall not a bad list, however:

Quote:
Originally posted by JStar:
[b]- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode (I cannot for my life believe that the RL F/A-18 does not have this).
Believe it.

-CJ

#355873 - 01/23/04 04:41 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Martin:
Overall not a bad list, however:

Quote:
Originally posted by JStar:
[b]- Range finder and launch cue for the HARM when in TOO mode (I cannot for my life believe that the RL F/A-18 does not have this).
Believe it.

-CJ

No no no... I refuse!!! It's a conspiracy to hide the true capabilities of the superbug! It must be!!!

/J

#355874 - 01/23/04 05:26 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
LOL! Perhaps in light of reality, we need to TAKE OUT the 'bug' that DOES give you a HARM countdown cue if you have the ATFLIR up with a HARM seeker target selected \:\)

Makes PERFECT sense that it shouldn't give you distance cues as the detection is totally passive.

Ok Here's my list additions:

1)(With apologies to ELF..)
Fix to allow CLUSTER WEAPONS to inflict damage on parked aircraft

2)Fix in Pilot Stats so that Summary Stats are rendered correctly.

...have a couple more specific Mission Builder related, (Events and Debrief items that either don't seem to work, or whose function is not understood..) but I can't remember them. Will repost..

Recluse

P.S. @Bones: You can toggle bet. WideView and Normal with the TSHV1 Wideview package. ALT-F4

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#355875 - 01/23/04 06:39 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Recluse:

1)(With apologies to ELF..)
Fix to allow CLUSTER WEAPONS to inflict damage on parked aircraft

LOL, no need to apologize. If you hadn't mentioned it I would have, it's been annoying me since it first showed up (after we did the patch, DOH!). If you actually get your hands on the code it's easy to fix.

Elf

#355876 - 01/23/04 07:06 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's nice to see members of the original programming team are still following this forum. F/A-18 is already very complete and stable and does not need more than some tweaking IMHO.

To me, the first priority would be:

- enhanced Track Ir support;

secondly, to add to the wish list:

-Hud only view, as in Falcon 4.0,( would be great for carrier landings ;\) );

-a Helmet mode for the Aim-9x. ( I understand the real F/A-18 as this capability and that it almost made it in the game );

-Improved campaign. The ideal would be something like the Mig Alley/BoB campaign system, although I would be happy if there was a way to add more randomness so that when you start a campaign, you are not always reflying the same 1-2 missions;

#355877 - 01/23/04 07:21 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Actually there is a sort of Helmet Mode for AIM-9X! If you padlock a target and U for UNCAGE SEEKER, your AIM-9x will lock on to the Padlocked Target..

Hmmm and I am pretty sure there IS a HUD only view as well..

Another Bug Fix (though, I fear that intermittent bugs like this and the PB CTD in Multiplayer will be very hard..unless their cause can be determined. Seems to be bit rot more than anything else..)

-Occasional 'Mission Builder Map fades to black when zooming in'

Recluse

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#355878 - 01/23/04 08:30 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Yes, there is a HUD only view---Shift-F1

And yeah, I know about TSH's wide angle and regular switchable view, but not everyone can run it and the fonts are not really readable (according to TSH's warning). It would be nice if it was integrated into the software from the get-go.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#355879 - 01/23/04 08:47 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Seems to be bit rot more than anything else..)
My guess for the Rampe Strike Bug is just that... a bad case of bit rot.

/J

#355880 - 01/23/04 09:27 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bones:
Shift-F1 is the no-cockpit view...hardly the same thing :rolleyes:

In the default cockpit, the hud text gets too small and hard to read if you play at 1600x1200, the no-cockpit view only removes the cockpit, it does not make the Hud font any bigger.

F/A-18 already has nice close up views of the four MFD's, I never understood why they did not implement a close-up Hud view like Falcon 4.0

#355881 - 01/23/04 09:38 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually there is a sort of Helmet Mode for AIM-9X! If you padlock a target and U for UNCAGE SEEKER, your AIM-9x will lock on to the Padlocked Target..
Yes, I am aware of that feature and I have used it often. As I understand it, the programming team wanted to implement a helmet mode but ran out of time and only got as far as programming that feature, but it's far from being a real Helmet mode.

#355882 - 01/23/04 11:38 PM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
flyd Offline
flyd  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Uh, nice thread!

Let's see, most of the stuff is already mentioned, and JF-18 is near-perfect as it is...

There are only two things, which can be considered bugs, that I can think of at the moment.

1) JDAM following moving targets.
2) AIM-9 pure pursuit instead of lead.

#355883 - 01/24/04 12:49 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
Operator Offline
Operator  Offline

Improvememtns... How about getting us some freaking decent framerates on state of the art rigs.

#355884 - 01/24/04 01:03 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

1) A/G CCIP gun pipper should have a range arc/readout just like the A/A pipper. JF-15 had it.

2) AIM-120C gives the target a RWR warning immediately upon launch, when in fact it shouldn't until the seeker head goes active (several miles later).

3) AIM-9X is not even close to the real deal, this should be corrected.

4) TrackIR support (I'm sure it has been mentionned already but the thread is too long :p ).

5) I must repeat what FLYdude said, AIM-9s should be LEAD pursuit, not pure!

#355885 - 01/24/04 01:10 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Operator:
Improvememtns... How about getting us some freaking decent framerates on state of the art rigs.
Quote:
Originally posted by 96th_Wolf:
3) AIM-9X is not even close to the real deal, this should be corrected.
These are what I mean by fuzzy requests. :p

/J

#355886 - 01/24/04 02:31 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
Alex41 Offline
Alex41  Offline

Calgary, Alberta
There are three things that I want to include..

-When you ejected, the mission will fail. I dont like it, it is unreal.. When u ejected, your wingman (#2) will take over the command and proceed to our mission. That what I wanted..

-Fix the pipper on the HUD when u select the rockets, that pipper is inaccurate. When that pipper is on the target and fired the rockets but instead hit the target, the rockets fly past the target. (But I use one solution to make rockets hit the target.. Use the velocity vector instead the pipper)

-Make the sky more darker when I am fly high in air and when I am on the ground the sky will more brighter than that. And try make the stars to appear when I am fly so high too. (Just like those cool sky effects in LOMAC)

#355887 - 01/24/04 03:26 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
'Doc' Offline
'Doc'  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John_H:
Quote:
Originally posted by bones:
Shift-F1 is the no-cockpit view...hardly the same thing :rolleyes:

In the default cockpit, the hud text gets too small and hard to read if you play at 1600x1200, the no-cockpit view only removes the cockpit, it does not make the Hud font any bigger.

F/A-18 already has nice close up views of the four MFD's, I never understood why they did not implement a close-up Hud view like Falcon 4.0
Actually, John, bones is correct. Shift-F1 does give a HUD-only view--i.e., Shift-F1 gives a HUD without a cockpit, which is a HUD-only view. What you are referring to is not a HUD-only view, but instead a zoom-HUD view. Remember, we gotta' be precise in our requests! ;\) \:\) \:D

'Doc' (aka '195th_Doc')
TSH Administrator

Doc's hypocritic Oath: First do no HARM?
#355888 - 01/24/04 03:59 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Casual and hardcre flight model options. This should include avionics. Simple radar and TEWS (similar to JF-15)

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#355889 - 01/24/04 09:54 AM Re: JF-18 Improved wish-list  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex41:
There are three things that I want to include..

-When you ejected, the mission will fail.
Not entirely true. That depends on how the mission is modelled and what triggers success/failure. You may get the "Mission End" box... but you can say "No" to that and just wait on the ground until the rest of the flight gets home.

Note though that the stock campaign is modelled such that if your target is missed, then the mission will fail, even if the AI hits all their targets. But this is controllable by the mission maker.

/J

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.