I had suspected that the problem with the MOD "Desert Storm" was my own. After retracing my installation steps in comparasion with the instructions, I found that a FFU had committed where I had done something early in the process that was the probable "Fundamental" cause of the "FU". After all the other MODs that I had installed for SF2 I thought that the advice given by one developper was sound:
"Install as per the Knowledge base for Standalone Mods.
And Delete The Aircraft and Ground Objects before you dump these files in."
I did this for DS, but added the "Fundamental" complication by creating an .INI file linked to the main executable. Although renamed from the SF2Europe original, it contained no text changes. The "Desert Storm" MOD does not require any configuration to its modified executable.
Again, I run XP with the program patched to April 2012. All programs run well. Now even "Desert Storm". I would like to install the new North Atlantic addtion, but for some unforeseen reason the marketing geniuses have decided to move on from the original customer base who still support the same core product "Strike Fighters 2"