Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3552860 - 04/08/12 07:46 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: JAMF]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: JAMF
Originally Posted By: Chivas
I mentioned to Furbs they could still be improving the COD map, but I wonder if some could be doing buildings, objects, and terrain for a Malta/North Africa map.

Did they ever fix the site just south-west of Dunkirk, where they simply used the modern harbour exit and not the war period one?

If the developer isn't fixing it I'm sure the community modders will at some point.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3552881 - 04/08/12 08:22 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
So in your opinion, if they are working on the CoD, they might leave a 10 mile concrete sea barrier for the modding community to fix?

How many years before the community will have access to mod tools to change such a structure, which could very well be part of the map. (one of the indestructible immovable bits)

#3552904 - 04/08/12 08:59 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: FearlessFrog]  
DrDag Offline
DrDag  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Or the other way around, depending on how much you know about games dev

I have not seen all companies nor I can determine how it works for all of them. The ones I have experienced made a difference. Tech development like engine was more into agile delopmentment however the content development on top of it was abviously handled not always like that. It is also a difference whether you got an indie dev team or a venture capitalist supporting a bigger company. I have not seen though the companies of the canadian games dev hub which is quite huge. Do you know the practices there?

Sprints and scrums and agile are not something you see even in main-stream games dev - games are one of the few areas left in software development where the process is still ad-hoc (compared to other software areas). Some of the big studios are starting to become more methodical, but what you trade for predictable delivery you lose in terms of creativity. Games are still an art, where things like TDD and testing can't replicate or judge the 'feel' of a game.

I have seen it both ways. And I agree to a degree. However, more and more according to my experience you have engine & tools developent happening under agile development priciples.
The actual content or creative development was handeled different (according to my experience).
There is a need to differentiate between a technical testing of an engine which required more an engineering point of view and content testing which runs on a different level.

It's a fair point that as WWII aviation fans we all desperately want the title to grow and do better. My biggest concern now is that they've set themselves up in terms of expectations of 'The Great Patch' and each week it goes by the unrealistic expectations may be mounting. We might be looking here at a 30% increase in frames per second, and not much else. My FPS are great already..

I agree whole heartly. I do not experience those performance issues myself. Nonetheless not everyones hardware runs the title in a way it should run. I welcome the engine design and what follows. CLOD showed me one thing. The beauty that can be achieved with nowadays simulation while preserving huge mape sizes. For you a 30% increase might mean nothing, but for those with slightly weaker hardware it means a lot.
The next release wont be an eigth world wonder ... but hopefully it will bring us closer to a real ww2 simulation experience and widen the community so more people can join our dogfight league and coop missions & campaigns smile with all the graphical, fm and ai modifications it needs at a more or less up to date tech level.

cheers,
Dag

ps: sorry for the big amounts of edits, my english can be sometimes a bit broken :-)

Last edited by DrDag; 04/08/12 09:10 PM.
#3552916 - 04/08/12 09:14 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: addman]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: addman
Originally Posted By: SlipBall
Have I mentioned that they are there right now, working!

Yes, apparently they have told us that they are in fact working right now, as we post. They have told us that. smile

P.S That's what we've actually been told, that they are working on the patch this very weekend, it's a fact....because they told us they would.

P.S 2 (not PlayStation 2) I think that it sufficed, I mean, them telling us that they are doing some stuff this weekend. In fact, you might even claim that the telling of things being done are quite essential to the whole patch development process. I'd be happy if all we were getting was information about what they are doing and when, oh wait a minute......!

I like the way you think!...It's like hearing myself think...never boring but often confusing biggrin

Post composed with speech to text, it woks grape!

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3552924 - 04/08/12 09:33 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
addman Offline
addman  Offline

Swede in Finland :)
Have I mentioned that they are there right now, working!

Yes, apparently they have told us that they are in fact working right now, as we post. They have told us that. smile

P.S That's what we've actually been told, that they are working on the patch this very weekend, it's a fact....because they told us they would.

P.S 2 (not PlayStation 2) I think that it sufficed, I mean, them telling us that they are doing some stuff this weekend. In fact, you might even claim that the telling of things being done are quite essential to the whole patch development process. I'd be happy if all we were getting was information about what they are doing and when, oh wait a minute......!

I like the way you think!...It's like hearing myself think...never boring but often confusing biggrin

Thanks Slips! Those where some of my sane thoughts.

It rushed along like an arrow, but when you lost control you could end up beneath its hoofs. Aleksandr Ivanovich Pokryshkin comment on the MiG-3
#3553046 - 04/09/12 03:25 AM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: addman]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Anywho, here's next weeks Friday update:

Ha! I was actually imagining something more along these lines:

(from gutenberg, out of copyright, so if I understand the rules correctly
this should be ok to display).

#3553113 - 04/09/12 09:37 AM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

bottom left, now that's a hard life right there.

#3553122 - 04/09/12 10:03 AM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Yea, even the woman has her back to him

Clod
OEM screenshots & videos of Eu release..So I fly the original game because I am a off-liner and the game's AI was broken after the last good patch, game version 1.0.13954
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
#3553164 - 04/09/12 01:01 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
Pudfark Offline
Pudfark  Offline

Republic of Texas
How chauvinistic of you you Sir Slipball?

That's not a woman.
It's a 1C developer.
doesshe

If CloD were an Ere_tile Dysfunction med?
Nobody would "get off" the ground.
Further, 14 months after "taking it"?
The duct tape and splint patch ain't very fun.
So, what ya got now?
A bunch of folks sporting a male member, that looks like a "skinned squirrel".
#3553199 - 04/09/12 02:17 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: Pudfark]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Pudfark
How chauvinistic of you you Sir Slipball?

That's not a woman.
It's a 1C developer.
doesshe

Ha ha, women always flush twice!

Clod
#3553364 - 04/09/12 07:21 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: Force10]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: Force10
My biggest concern now is that they've set themselves up in terms of expectations of 'The Great Patch' and each week it goes by the unrealistic expectations may be mounting. We might be looking here at a 30% increase in frames per second, and not much else. My FPS are great already..

This is my concern as well. Frames are great for me now so I won't really gain anything.

I wonder about this too, the patch comes out everybody gets better framerates, but it doesn't really look any different, people start complaining; "that's it, that's what we've been waiting for all this time..?" and then the whole thing starts all over again. I personally will be disappointed if the LOD's aren't better I find that I can see planes(dots) better when they are farther away than I can when they should be filling my gunsight, but instead appear more hazy and diffuse but we can only wait and see ...and get out our umbrellas and galoshes because I think it's gonna rain.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3553373 - 04/09/12 07:31 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
addman Offline
addman  Offline

Swede in Finland :)
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
Originally Posted By: Force10
My biggest concern now is that they've set themselves up in terms of expectations of 'The Great Patch' and each week it goes by the unrealistic expectations may be mounting. We might be looking here at a 30% increase in frames per second, and not much else. My FPS are great already..

This is my concern as well. Frames are great for me now so I won't really gain anything.

I wonder about this too, the patch comes out everybody gets better framerates, but it doesn't really look any different, people start complaining; "that's it, that's what we've been waiting for all this time..?" and then the whole thing starts all over again. I personally will be disappointed if the LOD's aren't better I find that I can see planes(dots) better when they are farther away than I can when they should be filling my gunsight, but instead appear more hazy and diffuse but we can only wait and see ...and get out our umbrellas and galoshes because I think it's gonna rain.

That will happen. I can understand the developers idea to first have a sturdy engine and then release bug fixing patches on top of that but I seriously don't hope that they will be surprised/shocked when the rotten tomatoes comes flying. I hate being a realist sometimes but take a look at il2bugtracker.com, it's already starting to fill up nicely, does anybody really think all of those bugs will be fixed? or even half of them? Certainly not before BoM will be released me thinks and that's when the feces will really start to hit the fan. I'm still hoping for the best though, there is a small, crumpled up little optimist sitting on the other shoulder whispering like a crippled old man "everything will be good, everything will be good"....he's dying though.

P.S A nice little easter egg or surprise in the patch would certainly go a long way to prevent a total meltdown over at banana, I hope they've thought that far at MG.

It rushed along like an arrow, but when you lost control you could end up beneath its hoofs. Aleksandr Ivanovich Pokryshkin comment on the MiG-3
#3553375 - 04/09/12 07:34 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Im hoping the patch will also address the land target dots showing through the landscape.
The prop and clouds problem.
The long distance dots disappearing from view.

We will also see if this new engine is for the future, ie FSAA, AAF and DX11 or stuck in 2005 like the one we have now.

#3553468 - 04/09/12 10:15 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
There is no doubt the sky is going to fall even further shortly after the performance patch is released. It will make it possible for more people to fly the sim and actually see how bad the AI, and Commands are. Hopefully for the developments sake, some of the earlier revisions of the performance/graphic patch were bug free enough to test some fixes for the AI etc. That said the performance patch could swell the online community where the AI etc is not quite as big a factor.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3553617 - 04/10/12 04:24 AM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
I totally agree with you Chivas. That was more or less my journey throught ClOD: first performance issues, sorted with tweaking, then upgrade of computer; when that was sort of under control came the sound bug (resulting in no sound at all in many cases) - and the sim went back on its shelf; when that was sorted, I thought "yay, time to enjoy this sim after all!". And then, with my smooth visual experience, with the ok sounds, I remember finding myself staring at G50s, heck, even bombers pulling uber rolls as if they wanted to compete for the ultimate vomit machine. As I'm interested in solo and coop multiplayer with some player vs AI elements (even online it's hard to make this big map alive without using some AI...), needless to say ClOD went back once again to the shelves. Many people still stuck with performance problems (they will luckily skip the audio bug step) might find themselves just hopping on the next game breaking aspect of the game...

It's sad. I was chatting with my best buddy this week end - we're both long time fans of IL2 - but we found ourselves admitting that for now we'll simply accept that the franchise is dead, and maybe, just maybe, we'll still be lucky enough to find it in a working state in one or two years, but from a pragmatic point of view it's probably best to assume this is not the most likely outcome...

Last edited by FlyingMonkey; 04/10/12 04:25 AM.
#3553663 - 04/10/12 07:21 AM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Pretty much how i feel FlyingMonkey and i would guess alot of people are the same. If im being generous i would say CLOD has 3 months of life left to prove the other fixes are coming otherwise most people who are not happy will simply bin it until BOM(if they buy BOM)

Im reading "The Big Show" by pierre clostermann at the moment and it really put me in the mood for flying last night, but i couldn't bring myself to fire up CLOD again and face the same old problems.

#3553785 - 04/10/12 02:30 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
FIScott Offline
FIScott  Offline

I'd not started it to fly it for eight weeks plus. With the wisdom of wine on me I uninstalled yesterday and I won't be re-installing unless there are big strides forward to address the issues. I never thought I could be so 'not bothered' about a Maddox Games sim but there it is.

On the plus side the dog gets even more walks !

#3553870 - 04/10/12 04:17 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I haven't flown the sim for sometime even though I have no performance issues. I don't think at this point its a problem that most people bin the sim, because 99.9% of us will be back, unless some other sim comes out of the netherland. I would guess its going to take a few months after the release of the performance patch for the AI, and Commands to get sorted. That said whether its a month or a year from now, everyone will be back, and those that haven't followed the sim will buy the Sequels if they work.

Last edited by Chivas; 04/10/12 04:18 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3553907 - 04/10/12 05:12 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Chivas, why would it take longer than 9 months to sort the AI? it should be ready to go if they have been working on it.

#3553913 - 04/10/12 05:22 PM Re: Friday update April 6 [Re: SlipBall]  
SlipBall Offline
disillusioned
SlipBall  Offline
disillusioned

East Coast U.S.A.
I'm not sure about that time frame...I made a mission with a AI Spit on my tail set to engage fighter's. Well he slowly over took me and continued to pass me by, not 50 yards from my window. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot the poor fool down, so I returned to base. biggrin

Last edited by SlipBall; 04/10/12 05:37 PM.

Clod
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.